Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1790185393926647857
An unknown number of orcas have sunk a sailing yacht after ramming it in Moroccan waters in the Strait of Gibraltar, Spain's maritime rescue service said on Monday, a new attack in what has become a trend in the past four years.

The passengers reported feeling sudden blows to the hull and rudder before water started seeping into the ship. After alerting the rescue services, a nearby oil tanker took them onboard and transported them to Gibraltar.

The yacht was left adrift and eventually sank.

The incident is the latest example of recurring orca rammings around the Gibraltar Strait that separates Europe from Africa and off the Atlantic coast of Portugal and northwestern Spain.

Researchers are unsure about the causes for the behaviour, with leading theories including it being a playful manifestation of the mammals' curiosity, a social fad or the intentional targeting of what they perceive as competitors for their favourite prey, the local bluefin tuna.

Booshka

May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
Hilarious that they were saved by an oil tanker, really sums up the whole problem. What a time to be alive; good work Orcas.

Oct 28, 2017
So...I need a deep fiction lore written about how Climate Change is actually an attack by Mother Nature spearheaded by a species of super intelligent whales.

PetitBum

Apr 18, 2024
Doris pod still at it it looks like !

Funny to see the posts in this thread considering sailing vessels are one of the cleanest mode of transportation there is, and a lot of sailors are far from rich, it's often more aking to the "dirtbag" vanlife lifestyle, some people living on less than 12k a year living on their sailboats.

Unfortunately they don't attack actual yachts, just sailboats :(

Aug 17, 2022

Funny to see the posts in this thread considering sailing vessels are one of the cleanest mode of transportation there is, and a lot of sailors are far from rich, it's often more aking to the "dirtbag" vanlife lifestyle, some people living on less than 12k a year living on their sailboats.

Yeah very weird. This forum clearly has people taking pleasure in human lives being in danger.

PetitBum

Apr 18, 2024
Yeah very weird. This forum clearly has people taking pleasure in human lives being in danger.

to be fair, none of the dozens (hundreds?) of attacks from the pod resulted in deaths
only a few sinked vessels

also, I understand that it's easy to associate "sailing lifestyle" with "being rich", as its the way the lifestyle is portraied in most media. I can understand people not being aware of realities of sailing.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hilarious that they were saved by an oil tanker, really sums up the whole problem. What a time to be alive; good work Orcas.
In this movie the Orca blows up a oil refinery....no joke

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd8-MfC6LrQ

51Co3ZQwaVL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

butalala

Nov 24, 2017

Yeah I appreciate the whales' hustle, but they should focus on the yachts that burn fossil fuels

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

I am pro animal over human in 90% of the cases. If a bear kills a human in the woods, I dont think the bear should be killed, it didnt do anything "wrong". I am oversimplifying but I am not going to say "poor humans" for getting attacked by sealife in the middle of the sea. Ideally, no human or animal would get hurt ever and we would peacefully share the earth, but in animal vs human situations, the humans are 90% in the wrong.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017

Yeah I dunno. Looking at the type of yacht that was sunk- A Sun Odyssey 519 - seems like they start at $240k. I wouldn't say anyone with that kind of money lives anywhere close to a 'dirtbag vanlife' lifestyle

If you've got $240k to spend on a boat you've got fuck you money and the orcas are in the right

Aug 17, 2022
I am pro animal over human in 90% of the cases. If a bear kills a human in the woods, I dont think the bear should be killed, it didnt do anything "wrong". I am oversimplifying but I am not going to say "poor humans" for getting attacked by sealife in the middle of the sea. Ideally, no human or animal would get hurt ever and we would peacefully share the earth, but in animal vs human situations, the humans are 90% in the wrong.

I didn't say the orcas did anything wrong either.

But if a bear killed someone walking in the woods, I wouldn't write "great work bear", and "thank you bear" and "incredible" about it.

Aug 17, 2022
Fair, neither party is at fault. I didnt write any pro orca comments, but I had to defend any possible anti-orca sentiments.

Of course. No animal is ever at fault and should not be retaliated against for anything.

All the sickos in this thread looking up the price and type of boat, and make assumptions on the type of person on it, in order to determine their level of glee. Like, it's pretty fucked up.

JB Hunkamunka

Mar 14, 2021
In this movie the Orca blows up a oil refinery....no joke

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd8-MfC6LrQ

51Co3ZQwaVL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

It is without challenge the most powerful animal on the globe. The killer whale. He is a mammal with warm blood, found in every sea. The ancient Romans called him Orca Orcinus. Latin for "The Bringer of Death".

His tapered form and muscular fin make the orca the fastest moving whale in all the oceans.The adult male measures around 30 feet and weighs six tons but there have been cases where he ran to 45 feet.

Now here is a killer whale in what is probably his most familiar guise: tamed, on exhibition. One captured as a pup and brought up with men. Treated with kindness, there is no creature that is a greater friend to man.

But if not... The orca's mouth has 48 teeth set in two impressive rows.

As parents, killer whales are exemplary. Better than most human beings. And like human beings, they have a profound instinct for vengeance. Yet the most amazing thing about these creatures is neither their gentleness nor their violence, but their brains.

Slides, please, Ken.

Now these three brains are of a monkey... a human being.. and this is the brain of a killer whale. We know very little about the nature of the whale's intelligence... except that it exists and is powerful, and in some respects may even be superior to man. A four-month-old foetus, incredibly like that of a human baby. It even has two hands, with five fingers on each.

Whales talk. They communicate by a combination of pure sound and sonar echolocation. The whale sounds you are now hearing contain wavelengths that can travel not just across one ocean basin, but around the entire world. This was recorded under water and analyzed by computers at CalTech. It was found to contain 15 million pieces of information. The Bible contains only 4 million.

What are they saying? For that matter, do they have to say anything to communicate? Their sonar would be a little like our having X-ray vision. If we could look into one other and instantly know if someone else was happy or sad, indifferent or aroused... healthy or suffering from a tumor we could actually see..

... then a human phrase like, "How are you?" would be meaningless. What we call language... they might call unnecessary, or redundant. Or retarded.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017

Anything even remotely associated with doing more than just barrrrrrrely scrapping by means time to trash people's lives and cheer on their endangerment. Boats? Like those The Rich? We hate those!

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
This is some fucked up thinking.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It is without challenge the most powerful animal on the globe. The killer whale. He is a mammal with warm blood, found in every sea. The ancient Romans called him Orca Orcinus. Latin for "The Bringer of Death".

His tapered form and muscular fin make the orca the fastest moving whale in all the oceans.The adult male measures around 30 feet and weighs six tons but there have been cases where he ran to 45 feet.

Now here is a killer whale in what is probably his most familiar guise: tamed, on exhibition. One captured as a pup and brought up with men. Treated with kindness, there is no creature that is a greater friend to man.

But if not... The orca's mouth has 48 teeth set in two impressive rows.

As parents, killer whales are exemplary. Better than most human beings. And like human beings, they have a profound instinct for vengeance. Yet the most amazing thing about these creatures is neither their gentleness nor their violence, but their brains.

Slides, please, Ken.

Now these three brains are of a monkey... a human being.. and this is the brain of a killer whale. We know very little about the nature of the whale's intelligence... except that it exists and is powerful, and in some respects may even be superior to man. A four-month-old foetus, incredibly like that of a human baby. It even has two hands, with five fingers on each.

Whales talk. They communicate by a combination of pure sound and sonar echolocation. The whale sounds you are now hearing contain wavelengths that can travel not just across one ocean basin, but around the entire world. This was recorded under water and analyzed by computers at CalTech. It was found to contain 15 million pieces of information. The Bible contains only 4 million.

What are they saying? For that matter, do they have to say anything to communicate? Their sonar would be a little like our having X-ray vision. If we could look into one other and instantly know if someone else was happy or sad, indifferent or aroused... healthy or suffering from a tumor we could actually see..

... then a human phrase like, "How are you?" would be meaningless. What we call language... they might call unnecessary, or redundant. Or retarded.
now i am scared

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Of course. No animal is ever at fault and should not be retaliated against for anything.

All the sickos in this thread looking up the price and type of boat, and make assumptions on the type of person on it, in order to determine their level of glee. Like, it's pretty fucked up.

I don't think people are taking it as seriously (celebration wise) as you think they are.

Mostly just jokes and amusement at what is happening. It is fascinating.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
it's pretty fascinating stuff and you just wonder why they do it? I also think it's interesting that they sink the boats but don't worry about the people on board.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
it's pretty fascinating stuff and you just wonder why they do it? I also think it's interesting that they sink the boats but don't worry about the people on board.

Vengeance. (Need a site) but recall an Orca baby was struck and killed by the motor of a boat in the general area.
Orcas out for area boats since.
even more amazing, only in that area. S Cal Oracs are the shit, killing random great whites, and going bluefin sashimI.
Carry on orcas, carry on.