• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

First tests are coming in, Xbox One X is native 4K but performance is an absolute mess sitting under 60 for most of the video with extended periods at 40FPS. Was really going into this expecting a rock solid 60 for this kind of game especially coming from the first.
Xbox One S is a dynamic 720p - 900p with even worse performance often sitting nearer to 40FPS but all the way down to 30FPS. Both platforms do still hit 60 but doesn't seem very consistent.

There has been a day one patch to address performance and hitching but it's being reported it's not fixed. Was about to dive in on this right now but now I'm definitely waiting for some patches. Don't want to play this kind of game like this.

Edit: Video covering the new patch

Performance is still variable but quite an improvement. From the footage available is looking more 50-60, which is much better but still off from a smooth 60. Hoping for further patches.

Last edited:

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
why do first party xbox games always launch with terrible performance issues? Or is it just Unity doing funky things? Anyways, going to wait for more patches if what they said is true

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I was not expecting that at all, especially given how well they were able to get the first game running on Switch. I'm sure they'll continue to improve it, so maybe I'll wait a bit before jumping in.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Ah come on, really? When Tomas last year said they had optimized the engine so much that they had the Switch version rock solid...i really thought this would mean promising stuff for WotW on X.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's disappointing. They should definitely lower the resolution if it can't maintain 60fps.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Glad my TV has variable refresh rate. :) Doubt I'll notice any issues.

Edit: Oh, this was pre-patch. Nothing to see here.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Has a game ever launched with performance this bad that was magically fixed in the day one patch? Nothing comes to mind, I'm sure it'll be somewhat better but there's plenty of people saying it's running rough still and hitching. Like I really want to be wrong as I was so excited to start the game at midnight here in Aus but now I'm unsure.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Can XBX players lower the resolution to increase performance? Having a steady 60fps is way more important than 4k resolution for this kind of game.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Has a game ever launched with performance this bad that was magically fixed in the day one patch? Nothing comes to mind, I'm sure it'll be somewhat better but there's plenty of people saying it's running rough still and hitching. Like I really want to be wrong as I was so excited to start the game at midnight here in Aus but now I'm unsure.
What's the point of this thread though? Almost everyone playing the game now will be running it with the day one patch, hence this video is obsolete.
You should find a video comparing performance with the patch installed.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I am playing right now and runs great.
I can make a vid of it.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would they post a video without the day 1 patch that's already available?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its moot right? If the game you play day 1 isnt going to experience severe issues.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
why do first party xbox games always launch with terrible performance issues? Or is it just Unity doing funky things? Anyways, going to wait for more patches if what they said is true
I don't think most of them do, they are usually very well round in this regard.

Only exceptions I remember from this gen were Recore and State of Decay 2

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we posting a completely irrelevant video that doesn't include the day 1 patch that is now available to everyone? No one will play the version of the game that OP posted.

You might as well be complaining about the performance of a beta of the game

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Why are we posting a completely irrelevant video that doesn't include the day 1 patch that is now available to everyone? No one will play the version of the game that OP posted.

You might as well be complaining about the performance of a beta of the game

They also have this video which compares the game with and without the patch. Performance still seems variable, though not as bad.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
the title of the thread clearly says "without day one patch" wouldn't this thread be useful for say, someone who doesn't have internet access the day they play the game? why is everyone being so defensive? chill

OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If OP would've posted this video, it would've at least made a bit of sense. Instead they purposefully post an outdated video. Why?
I'd just gotten the notification for the Ori upload in the OP. What is with all the conspiracy theories going on here that I'm out to hate on the game or something lord. Adding to OP and watching now.

Edit: That video is actually older by a few hours than the one I posted, and the 1.00 performance seems inline with the original video. Would be weird for them to upload another Framerate comparison for an updated version when they already did a video comparing it pre-patch.

Edit2: The lighting in the launch patch version is different to 1.00, the 1.00 matches the newer video so looks like it is of the old build. Bizzare. At least we have a video of the new performance!

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't recall Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, etc. launch with "terrible performance issues", so what's that hyperbole? Also, 40-60fps is far from terrible, and it's not even launch version, so...

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Looks like a drop to 1800p on the xbx should be a quick fix for most of the performance issue. Game is very demanding for a 2d game.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd just gotten the notification for the Ori upload in the OP. What is with all the conspiracy theories going on here that I'm out to hate on the game or something lord. Adding to OP and watching now.

Edit: That video is actually older by a few hours than the one I posted, and the 1.00 performance seems inline with the original video. Would be weird for them to upload another Framerate comparison for an updated version when they already did a video comparing it pre-patch.

Edit2: The lighting in the launch patch version is different to 1.00, the 1.00 matches the newer video so looks like it is of the old build. Bizzare. At least we have a video of the new performance!

We need to be vigilant ourselves about fake news, thats why. Understood that its a sincere mistake, just when you post a pre day-1 patch video which acknowledges the existence of a day 1 patch, it doest reflect well upon your intentions. Comes across as if you're deliberately ignoring an answer to your initial claim; ie propaganda.

OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If OP would've posted this video, it would've at least made a bit of sense. Instead they purposefully post an outdated video. Why?
The video in the OP is actually uploaded more recently.

Edit: To add to all the bad faith posts, the video doesn't even say it's from the old build. I just assumed it was because it went up at the same time as the embargo lifted so assumed they couldn't have made a video on the patch that only just came out today. The video doesn't say if it's 1.00 or the patch but going by the other video and the lighting it is 1.00. Though still odd this would be their main comparison video when they've captured footage and analysis of the patch and released it first.