• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
variety.com

Oscar-Nominated ‘Umbrella Academy’ Star Elliot Page Announces He Is Transgender

Elliot Page, the Academy Award nominee formerly known as Ellen, has announced he identifies as transgender and nonbinary

Elliot Page, the Oscar-nominated star of "Juno" and Netflix's "The Umbrella Academy," has announced he is transgender.

Elliot, formerly known as Ellen Page, addressed his numerous social media followers saying:

"Hi friends, I want to share with you that I am trans, my pronouns are he/they and my name is Elliot. I feel lucky to be writing this. To be here. To have arrived at this place in my life. I feel overwhelming gratitude for the incredible people who have supported me along this journey. I can't begin to express how remarkable it feels to finally love who I am enough to pursue my authentic self. I've been endlessly inspired by so many in the trans community. Thank you for your courage, your generosity and ceaselessly working to make this world a more inclusive and compassionate place. I will offer whatever support I can and continue to strive for a more loving and equal society," he wrote.

Page uses both he/him and they/them pronouns, and describes himself as transgender and non-binary, meaning that his gender identity is neither man nor woman.

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This was visibly a very long journey and it must be very challenging to have grown up on camera and come to terms with their identity this way. Really happy for him.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Serious question: why the pronoun "they"?

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome. He has always chosen very interesting roles and has always appeared to be a beautiful person. Congrats to him and continued luck on his journey.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Wow! Being able to open up to something like this and give their perspective is something I'll always admire. You should definitely watch UA if you haven't already btw.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good for him! Happy that western society is finally getting to stage where we are more accepting of trans people. I was alerted recently that some pacific islands have been more accepting for a long time, so it is good we are catching up.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Must be a hell of a relief to feel the comfort to proudly announce this. Happy for him!
More awards to come, I'm sure. He's a wonderful actor.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Serious question: why the pronoun "they"?
I'm sure someone who is actually trans or nonbinary can speak to this more credibly than I can but my understanding has always been that it's just the identifier people choose if they don't feel strictly on one side of the spectrum or other. If you don't feel totally male or totally female, then he and she don't capture who you are.

^it's not about multiple personalities, or that they think they are many people in one body or something like that.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure someone who is actually trans or nonbinary can speak to this more credibly than I can but my understanding has always been that it's just the identifier people choose if they don't feel strictly on one side of the spectrum or other. If you don't feel totally male or totally female, then he and she don't capture who you are.

^it's not about multiple personalities, or that they think they are many people in one body or something like that.
ahhhhhh okay this is clear! thanks

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
That's awesome. Congrats to him.

But I'm genuinely curious about the pronouns: "he" and "they" aren't really interchangeable right, so which one do you use? Or does it not matter?

Edit: the article address him as "he" so I guess it's just up to the person addressing him?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to him!

This explanation doesn't really help? He identifies as being male and plural (like multiple personalities)?

It's not plural, if a single person helped you pick up some boxes you could say "they helped me", for example, regardless of their gender identity.

It's just one of the more easily accessible and already established non-binary pronouns (some folks use alternatives like xe/xer but most of the world is only just starting to accept gender identity being fluid so we're some ways off those sorts of pronouns being commonplace).

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Wow I just saw this on social media. I'm a fan and it's great to see him be able to be open with himself and publicly. Happy for him.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's awesome. Congrats to him.

But I'm genuinely curious about the pronouns: "he" and "they" aren't really interchangeable right, so which one do you use? Or does it not matter?

I've often wondered this but don't want to put my foot in it. Grammatically those words don't work the same. 'He is over there' is singular, but 'they are over there' is plural. I need to look into this. Happy to use people's pronouns, but in my speech I am strict with my grammar so I need to understand this further.

Happy for him and I did feel that this was a strong possibility of happening. I'm glad he feels comfortable enough to publicly talk about it. I hope it helps others.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's fucking awesome. I can't imagine what it was like to figure everything out with so much public visibility. To go from straight, lesbian and now finally trans is hopefully very encouraging to those still struggling to figure out and define where they stand within the vast and beautiful LGBTQ+ spectrum. That things are more fluid and possibly subject to change as you grow and better understand yourself on various levels.

Elliot is a great person and I hope their story, visibility and transparency about everything helps a lot of younger people who are struggling and trying to figure who they really are at the end of the day.