Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cyrus is broken period :P

No doubt. I made him a dancer by sheer chance, and then discovered SP Saver via Tressa. So now he is this horrible double-casting SP Saver, Second Wind wielding mage on these poor Chapter 2 mooks. Why do I need to run a thief anymore when he never runs out of SP?

I'm going to ditch him for the last 2 chapters, let's have mercy on the enemy AI.

Don't worry, the Chapter 3 and 4 bosses are legitimately challenging and can wail on you if you're not prepared.

I'm still a little nervous about Chapter 3 still not scaling up that well, but am expecting the final bosses of each to be very formidable. I am thinking those later bosses have to challenge the dominant strategies setup in Chapter 2, would be weird if they didn't stop you in some way.

That is the way the design curve for the game is. The curve isn't intended for the game to be increasing challenging through all chapters on the same level as you tackle them all. The challenge spikes with the progression of actual chapters, regardless of character. If you play the game such that you want to do all 8 chapters before moving on, you will find that at least half of that is going to be braindead. On the other hand, you could finish the game with a fixed party of four, complete half the stories in the game, then with your main character freed from the party lock, you can swap in a clean low-level slate of 4 characters to tackle the game again, and gear accordingly depending how much challenge you want.

Ah, that is kind of disappointing from a design perspective, then.

I'm trying not to be too critical of this angle because the nature of the 8 character design makes the thing really challenging to balance in general. The prospect of designing Olberic Chapter 2 in the perspective of being the first Chapter 2... But then also balancing it for people who show up late with Lv40-50 teams... That would be an absurd task, given the combinations of levels, gear, and team layout. I can't imagine the development process of making sure all those difficulty levels aren't broken/impossible.

The gear system makes choosing your own difficulty kind of weird to balance afterwards, but it would be possible, since you could just stock up on Level 2 town equipment only, etc. It would just be a strange balancing act forced on the player.

If they do a sequel, I'd love it if they took a look at the difficulty curve and figure out to accommodate different ways of tackling the 8 stories. I feel like I am being presented a buffet of 8 foods, but I got full after trying only 1 or 2 of them. :(

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Let me preface this post a little. I need to vent somewhere and I promise this gets around to Octopath:

I've had an awful last couple of days. At about 2:00 PM yesterday I noticed a strange chemical smell coming from the A/C vents in our apartment. By 2:02 it smelled like someone had dumped paint thinner and car exhaust into our apartment. I grabbed my two month old son and his stroller and darted outside, where the air smelled like a chemical factory. Turns out our rental company decided to do some heavy duty work on the premises and didn't bother to warn the tenants. Thank God I was working from home and my wife and kid weren't napping like they might normally be that time of day (that's his schedule right now, unfortunately). Anyway, some of the fumes involved in the work are potentially deadly according to OSHA and the department of health, and it's looking like the contracted company didn't ventilate or secure the work zone properly. Somehow it got into our vents and filled up our place super fast. It was hard to stomach the smell by 2:15.

My wife, my son, and I are all staying in a hotel now and we're not entirely sure when it will be safe to go back. Poison Control and the Health Dept. recommend at least 48 hours. It might be more. I had to get a ventilator mask so I could go back into the place, get our clothes and baby care stuff and grab the bassinet, etc. Basically we got screwed hard and have to wait the weekend out so we can determine whether our place is safe for our kid.

Today, my wife and I decided to run errands instead of sitting in our hotel room and being angry. While returning a few things at the mall, I decided to go into Gamestop and see if they had a copy of Octopath. They did and I decided to treat myself because I felt like shit and wanted to rage at the owners of our complex. The clerk behind the counter recognized my accent and asked where I was from. Turns out that he and I grew up about 30 miles apart (I'm in California now). I told him I was pumped they had a copy because it had sold out at a few other locations in the area. I don't know if he could tell I was down and out, but he reached behind the counter and pulled out the pre-order package with the cards and stickers and said, "from one midwesterner to another!"

Dude totally made my day and now I have a physical copy with the pre-order bonus and I can at least distract myself for the evening before I get in touch with a lawyer, get someone to test the apartment, etc. It's a small thing, but it had a huge impact. Thanks Gamestop employee!

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let me preface this post a little. I need to vent somewhere and I promise this gets around to Octopath:

I've had an awful last couple of days. At about 2:00 PM yesterday I noticed a strange chemical smell coming from the A/C vents in our apartment. By 2:02 it smelled like someone had dumped paint thinner and car exhaust into our apartment. I grabbed my two month old son and his stroller and darted outside, where the air smelled like a chemical factory. Turns out our rental company decided to do some heavy duty work on the premises and didn't bother to warn the tenants. Thank God I was working from home and my wife and kid weren't napping like they might normally be that time of day (that's his schedule right now, unfortunately). Anyway, some of the fumes involved in the work are potentially deadly according to OSHA and the department of health, and it's looking like the contracted company didn't ventilate or secure the work zone properly. Somehow it got into our vents and filled up our place super fast. It was hard to stomach the smell by 2:15.

My wife, my son, and I are all staying in a hotel now and we're not entirely sure when it will be safe to go back. Poison Control and the Health Dept. recommend at least 48 hours. It might be more. I had to get a ventilator mask so I could go back into the place, get our clothes and baby care stuff and grab the bassinet, etc. Basically we got screwed hard and have to wait the weekend out so we can determine whether our place is safe for our kid.

Today, my wife and I decided to run errands instead of sitting in our hotel room and being angry. While returning a few things at the mall, I decided to go into Gamestop and see if they had a copy of Octopath. They did and I decided to treat myself because I felt like shit and wanted to rage at the owners of our complex. The clerk behind the counter recognized my accent and asked where I was from. Turns out that he and I grew up about 30 miles apart (I'm in California now). I told him I was pumped they had a copy because it had sold out at a few other locations in the area. I don't know if he could tell I was down and out, but he reached behind the counter and pulled out the pre-order package with the cards and stickers and said, "from one midwesterner to another!"

Dude totally made my day and now I have a physical copy with the pre-order bonus and I can at least distract myself for the evening before I get in touch with a lawyer, get someone to test the apartment, etc. It's a small thing, but it had a huge impact. Thanks Gamestop employee!

Good on you dude. Take your wins where you can get them.

Hecht

Bonk initiated
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Man how are people doing 20-30k damage? I have pretty good gear, and someone like Olberic using his Divine Skill only does like 12k when the enemy is broken.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Man how are people doing 20-30k damage? I have pretty good gear, and someone like Olberic using his Divine Skill only does like 12k when the enemy is broken.

I found buffs and debuffs to be a pretty big deal in this game. I usually try to have the mob debuffed and my Olberic buffed up just before I break.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017

I hope everything continues to improve for you, that was pretty alarming at the beginning. Fingers crossed the game lets you forget your troubles for a little while.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Well, found the first thing I thought was absolutely terrible about Octopath. I beat the game with all 8 chars, and expected to see something leading to some grand ending. Played for a few hours looking for new things to do, and while I have A LOT of side questing left over, couldn't see anything super exciting. Had to look up how to unlock the final dungeon of the game.
Super vague spoiler how to do it,
It needed to be done by doing some really unimportant arbitrary side quests that seemingly had nothing to do with it. I wish it were more forth coming with it, but least there's the internet.[SPOILER/]

Last edited:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two more chapter 3s left, I was SUPER surprised at how easy Primrose's boss was for me considering she has the highest level requirement outside of the cyrus chapter.

Last edited:

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017

It could have been much worse. You're all alright, at least. Also, you got that preorder bonus (care to post some pics?). And most importantly, you have a potential GOTY to play now.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
I'm having a bit of party trouble now that I've finished chapter 1 for all 8 characters. Going forward, I feel like I just want to focus on 4 characters at first. I really like Cyrus (my main), Tressa and Hannit, but I have no idea who to use for the fourth spot. I haven't thought of subclasses at all.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Went and fought the second secret job, and the poor guy only hit me once, lol. Cyrus with crazy damage as usual. My team was at 45, 44, 39, 28.

The fight was against the Runeblade.

ozGDkqs.gif

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Just beat all four secret job bosses. Man they were tough, I had to do some trial runs with each one of them to see what they were all about. Felt good though after I managed to beat them all coming up with my own strategies and taking them out.

Used team rogue to beat them all.

Arch magus was first, had P use her divine skill on C who used reflect on the whole party. Lots of management upkeep but he essentially killed himself, wasn't too bad.

Warmaster was next and I ended up beating her with evasion tank T using incite, shackle foe, and the warrior self defense buff. C was on heal duty the whole fight, occasionally using the double cast divine skill on P who would nuke the boss with Scholar skills. H kept buffs up with dancer subjob. T was the MVP soaking/evading all of her single target attacks.

Rune Knight was next and he was pretty easy. After I realized his attacks were physical based I essentially used the same strat as the Warmaster to take him down, except H was an apo so she could keep the ailments off the team.

Star seer was last and by far the hardest. P had to keep her all cast divine skill up on both apo T for ailment blocks and C for m.def buffs. Even with that all decked out m.def gear she still hit like a truck. Had to utilize large BP heal items for that. It was a slow burn battle with everyone slowly whittling her away, but when she unlocked her 3rd turn phase I knew a single bad rng turn would wipe the team. She only had 50k hp left so I did what any sane person would do, break spam and nuke her with large soul stones!! It was my first time using them and the 5400 damage ea was pleasantly surprising. They pulled me through the last phase.

blackmass

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin - Germany
So my team looks like this

H'aanit/Warrior
Tressa/Scholar
Cyrus/Cleric
Primrose/Merchant

Got most of the Chapter 2 bosses down with ease now.
H'aanits Second Serving and Patience are OP af. Cyrus as well.
Primrose is my second Merchant most of time, but I'm switching between Merchant and Apothecary.

And I already can tell, this game is a serious goty contender.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two chapter 1s done. I played until 4AM. Game is really fun and gives of SNES RPG vibes while still feeling like a current day game. Oh, and the music is great.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Dimz3HoXkAA6Qu0.jpg:large

Went from level 21/22 to level 36 in one random battle thanks to Exp x100 via Primrose's bewilderment skill (basically a roulette that can cause random thing, good or bad, to happen).

Wow! I did a fully boosted Bewildering Grace before, one of the charges summoned a cait, another one was for XP x 2. Sure was sweet.

Is x100 just stupidly rare or is it determined by level?

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how you guys can find all the secret job shrines so quickly without reading spoilers. I scoured the map and they seem to be hidden well.

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm about 3 hours into the game and have three characters so far. I came across the Cait that I couldn't kill. Every attack missed it and it fled. The very next battle the Cait was back again and I still couldn't kill it. Any tips? I hear they give lots of exp

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how you guys can find all the secret job shrines so quickly without reading spoilers. I scoured the map and they seem to be hidden well.
It's not bad. Check chapter 4 town areas for the shrine ping on the radar. Try and get near the icon. Look for a gap in walls and what not to do so. End up at shrine. Helps that Chapter 4 areas are small.

Unlocked ruins of Hornburg. Still haven't killed the sheep boss. Been trying Runelord on it, which helps kill the dogs with the ridiculous rune damage. He wrecks me when he does lunar howl or when he buffs himself though. Need to counter his buff but don't really have a good counter to lunar howl as far as I can tell.

I've still got sidequests missing, going by the flags' length but...idk. I got through almost the entire first circuit of maps before I found the quest that led to Hornburg so not sure where these quests are.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a suggestion as to what subjob goes best with Cyrus? I'm just about to learn his final base skill and was wondering the most efficient route to go from here.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Ophelia chapter 1 boss is hard, 4th boss I'm facing should I be getting upgrades for weapons or grind some more before this fight as seems to go on a long compared to the other 3 I've done?

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 3 hours into the game and have three characters so far. I came across the Cait that I couldn't kill. Every attack missed it and it fled. The very next battle the Cait was back again and I still couldn't kill it. Any tips? I hear they give lots of exp
Use items that do elemental damage. Those attacks never miss.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a suggestion as to what subjob goes best with Cyrus? I'm just about to learn his final base skill and was wondering the most efficient route to go from here.

Depends on the passives you want to put on him (Support skills). Merchant has a fantastic support skill for him once you learn all the skills on it. Likewise Dancer and Cleric has passives he would love. So its up to you what you do first.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Wow! I did a fully boosted Bewildering Grace before, one of the charges summoned a cait, another one was for XP x 2. Sure was sweet.

Is x100 just stupidly rare or is it determined by level?

They are just really, really rare.

I accidently killed a boss I was trying to use Bewildering Grace on to get more Exp and JP on.

This huge Golem-looking monster just blasted the boss for like 7000 damage.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
750 elemental atk with cyrus in chapter 2, this game is so unbalanced lol

TheWanderer

Jul 14, 2018
I find it both interesting and odd how we never find out who the criminal man was/what he did, who Esmerelda really was and what she wanted, or the true backstory of the book's original owner (we find out a bit but barely anything).

It's not bad. Check chapter 4 town areas for the shrine ping on the radar. Try and get near the icon. Look for a gap in walls and what not to do so. End up at shrine. Helps that Chapter 4 areas are small.

Unlocked ruins of Hornburg. Still haven't killed the sheep boss. Been trying Runelord on it, which helps kill the dogs with the ridiculous rune damage. He wrecks me when he does lunar howl or when he buffs himself though. Need to counter his buff but don't really have a good counter to lunar howl as far as I can tell.

I've still got sidequests missing, going by the flags' length but...idk. I got through almost the entire first circuit of maps before I found the quest that led to Hornburg so not sure where these quests are.

Is it a physical or elemental buff? Thief has a skill that lowers enemy physical defense and attack.
Sorcerer has a skill that lowers enemy elemental attack
, but most importantly
Starseer has a skill that prevents enemies from buffing themselves in any way for a max of 8 or so turns I think (I think it might also remove current buffs too but idk).

Last edited:

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
33 hours in and 3 chapter 3s done. I really like all the stories, they're all quite well done. Always a joy when Tressa's theme comes on. Some of the skits are quite amusing too, so the localization is really good. While the structure is clearly repetitive, I don't feel tired of it at all. Still haven't died at any chapter boss fights yet, but the damage output of enemies is clearly scaling much faster than my gear. I had one random on the way to the chapter boss where I died before I could make a single move so I guess I need to start shifting skills around when I explore and when I fight bosses.

I was wondering if I would have chosen another character to start with if I knew how the game was like until this point, and I think I would have still choose with Cyrus. Having one enemy weakness revealed at start and his AOE clears just make random encounters so much smoother. Alfyn's concoct is definitely really good and a strong contender but it's mostly for bosses and I haven't really needed it so far. The purple chests at this point are too good to ignore though, so maybe Therion as lead is another good choice, but I think Cyrus still wins for best overall benefit throughout the game.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How viable is an evasion tank? My Therion dodges half of the enemy attacks thrown at him. This goes for bosses, too. Mind you, I have only met his and H'annit's chapter 1 bosses.

TheWanderer

Jul 14, 2018
Just beat all four secret job bosses. Man they were tough, I had to do some trial runs with each one of them to see what they were all about. Felt good though after I managed to beat them all coming up with my own strategies and taking them out.

Used team rogue to beat them all.

Arch magus was first, had P use her divine skill on C who used reflect on the whole party. Lots of management upkeep but he essentially killed himself, wasn't too bad.

Warmaster was next and I ended up beating her with evasion tank T using incite, shackle foe, and the warrior self defense buff. C was on heal duty the whole fight, occasionally using the double cast divine skill on P who would nuke the boss with Scholar skills. H kept buffs up with dancer subjob. T was the MVP soaking/evading all of her single target attacks.

Rune Knight was next and he was pretty easy. After I realized his attacks were physical based I essentially used the same strat as the Warmaster to take him down, except H was an apo so she could keep the ailments off the team.

Star seer was last and by far the hardest. P had to keep her all cast divine skill up on both apo T for ailment blocks and C for m.def buffs. Even with that all decked out m.def gear she still hit like a truck. Had to utilize large BP heal items for that. It was a slow burn battle with everyone slowly whittling her away, but when she unlocked her 3rd turn phase I knew a single bad rng turn would wipe the team. She only had 50k hp left so I did what any sane person would do, break spam and nuke her with large soul stones!! It was my first time using them and the 5400 damage ea was pleasantly surprising. They pulled me through the last phase.

Why didn't you use reflect on the whole party for the last one?

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
If you do boosted Bewildering Grace does bad stuff still happen now boosted or only good stuff happen if you boost?

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
For therion's divine skill, it say the damage depends on the speed stat...

does it mean the base speed stat and if the dagger add speed, or does it includes the speed you gain with other weapons too?

I'm actually wondering how the stats work... like i have a wand that have +285 elementary and -100 Physical...

this will only affect physical when i use the wand right?

Also reading people here i feel like i have the worst team and job possible right now, lol, i just explore a bit and playing with the characters i started with and i'll do the other ones later! I have the impression i do shit damage, the battles are really long! Even with buff, BP and divine skills! Guess i'll have to make a better team for the endgame!

What level are the secret job bosses? Didn't met one yet

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
YEAH, I finally beat
Dreisang
Needed to rethink my approach to turn management (using leghold trap) and I had to use defend more often to steel through some of his more powerful attacks. healing with Cyrus while withering away his defenses then brought me victory. The reward is absolutely worth, though!

Oct 27, 2017
After six and a half hours I've had enough of the game. I couldn't care less about the story and everything is so repetitive. I haven't unlocked all the characters yet but I don't feel like putting any more time into it.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I'm an idiot. I was struggling breaking her fast enough at 4+ weapons and completely slipped my mind that her divine skill gives him 6 freaking hits which with leg hold that I was using is enough to break before a second turn. That was because I was always using her to top people and buff him or haanit for their break burst that I completely forgot about it.
Thank you.

I wonder if keeping therion thief/merchant and going for that divine skill and then feeding the party BP when I can is worth it over poison through the whole fight. I have to inagine I will only be able to pull that twice minimum before the urgancy to break, debuff, or so share becomes too critical.

Poison was my number 1 damage. 2.5k dmg per turn over 20 minute period.

You only need to apply it a few times after your boosted and will stay 6-8 turns per cast

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Having unlocked that secret job I had to rearrange my party a little bit. I went from:

Cyrus/Cleric
Olberic/Merchant
Primrose/Hunter
Therion/Warrior

to:

Cyrus/Sorcerer
Olberic/Hunter
Primrose/Cleric
Therion/Warrior

Primrose is the best fit for taking over the cleric job, but that meant that the hunter (and the accompanying skills and axe usage) had to be given to someone else. Olberic had Merchant basically because I needed a bow and wind magic, but now that Cyrus has wind magic due to his sorcerer job, as well as a bow weapon, I can forgo the Merchant job and have him take over the hunter job. The net result in terms of weapons is that I have gained one staff user, and the rest stays the same, while magic skills are occupied better or equally across the board due to the Sorcerer job.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
For therion's divine skill, it say the damage depends on the speed stat...

does it mean the base speed stat and if the dagger add speed, or does it includes the speed you gain with other weapons too?

I'm actually wondering how the stats work... like i have a wand that have +285 elementary and -100 Physical...

this will only affect physical when i use the wand right?

Also reading people here i feel like i have the worst team and job possible right now, lol, i just explore a bit and playing with the characters i started with and i'll do the other ones later! I have the impression i do shit damage, the battles are really long! Even with buff, BP and divine skills! Guess i'll have to make a better team for the endgame!

What level are the secret job bosses? Didn't met one yet

Secret job bosses are recommended level 50, but are very doable at 35-40 with decent equipment and proper strategy.

As for stats, you're correct in thinking a weapon's stats will generally only affect usage of that weapon—at least for physical attacks. A select few weapon passives affect all weapons (e.g. Battle-tested Blade's physical buff). Elemental attacks use only your highest E.ATK weapon's value, with the exception of Runelord runes, which are affected by the E.ATK of the individual weapon triggering them.

rocketpunch

Dec 19, 2017
After a ton of exploring I finally decided to start the chapter 2 stories. Did Primerose's first and it was great! The final location of the chapter looked straight out of
the intro to Vagrant Story!

I love this game. The battle and character customization systems are so damn good. And as a giant Matsuno fan I feel like this is almost like having a new game by his team.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm about to finish Alfyn's story, since I'm fighting a boss with the best music in the game. Well I keep dying but I'm going to try different things.
I'm underleveled though.

Really enjoyed Alfyn's story despite his prologue.