TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't bought a single weapon or piece of armour from a store yet. I just woke with what I steal. I don't really capture animals either because Linde works well for me right now. I'll probably have to start capturing them more often though. The ones I have captured have been pretty crappy so far.

I have used Concoct once in battle. Didn't like Alfyn at all, his story was pretty cute but hated him in battle. Probably because he was the last ch1 I did and everyone else was overpowered compared to him, but I just didn't see tangible benefits that his job added that I didn't already have covered.

I like to use Capture as a way to end the battle early against annoying beefy enemies. Like the upgraded Great Concords and stuff. Though, I've had a Concord pump out 1500 damage against a broken enemy, which is huge at my level (23ish).

H'aanit is my main but she does most of her damage by straight up attacks. Warrior subclass means she has 4 weapons to buff her Phys Atk and 4 different ways to break enemies, which is amazing when she procs Second Helping waaaaaaay more often than 50%.

One thing I'm at odds with this thread with is Alfyn. Did not like him when I played his first chapter and have left him to rot. Is Concoct really that good later on?

Currently running with:
Hunter sub Warrior (see above)
Cleric sub Merchant (wind is traditionally on white mage, so this makes sense to me)
Scholar sub Dancer (dark mage with massive Elemental Atk)
Warrior sub Thief (Incite and evasion aren't working out like I hoped they would... might change this if someone has a good tanky build)

jRPG

Dec 13, 2017
Can you switch Sub Jobs if one doesn't quite suit a character / class? I feel I'm not qualified to make important decisions if there is no turning back.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still early in but how does playing the other characters story work? I don't need actually spoiler/story stuff, but if I level Alfyn up in Therions story is he already leveled when his own story is played?

Oct 26, 2017
I like to use Capture as a way to end the battle early against annoying beefy enemies. Like the upgraded Great Concords and stuff. Though, I've had a Concord pump out 1500 damage against a broken enemy, which is huge at my level (23ish).

H'aanit is my main but she does most of her damage by straight up attacks. Warrior subclass means she has 4 weapons to buff her Phys Atk and 4 different ways to break enemies, which is amazing when she procs Second Helping waaaaaaay more often than 50%.

One thing I'm at odds with this thread with is Alfyn. Did not like him when I played his first chapter and have left him to rot. Is Concoct really that good later on?

Currently running with:
Cleric sub Merchant (wind is traditionally on white mage, so this makes sense to me)
Warrior sub Thief (Incite and evasion aren't working out like I hoped they would... might change this if someone has a good tanky build)
My Cyrus (lvl 22) is doing 1800 damage with an x2 boosted Fire so I just sweep most mobs I come across. I end them before damaging enough to think about capturing. In definitely going to start thinking about capturing more.

My team is

Cyrus/Warrior
Therion/Merchant
Ophilia/Dancer

and then I just swapper out H'aanit/Apothecary for Tressa/Scholar.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So, uh (minor Olberic story spoilers):

Who's Erhardt's voice actor? He's indistinguishable from Sean Bean - intonation, voice, everything sounds identical to my ears.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017

It's pretty much a great way to status effects in several party members in one single turn and do unboosted party-wide 800HP+ cures, as well as easily inflicting all kind of status effects in tougher enemies. It's really great as an emergency or secondary healer during the mid part of the game (chapters 2 and 3)

Nov 21, 2017
Have encountered two Caits in 6 hours, but have had no luck getting anywhere near beating them. Would appreciate some tips.

High accuracy moves that hit multiple times. Damage does not matter. Their HP is like 4. The key is you have to hit them multiple times with one attack.

H'annit and her arrows are good for this (Arrow Storm or rain of arrows). Alfyn and his concoct ability is good. Make sure you use something like injurious seed that does two hits or more.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm still early in but how does playing the other characters story work? I don't need actually spoiler/story stuff, but if I level Alfyn up in Therions story is he already leveled when his own story is played?
He's not, but they quickly grow to a decent level. Furthermore, having a few levels' difference is not a big deal, as stats don't grow steeply. Having good gear is more important. So, it won't be a problem to have one of your characters lag 5 levels behind the other characters, as long as they have good gear.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
High accuracy moves that hit multiple times. Damage does not matter. Their HP is like 4. The key is you have to hit them multiple times with one attack.

H'annit and her arrows are good for this (Arrow Storm or rain of arrows). Alfyn and his concoct ability is good. Make sure you use something like injurious seed that does two hits.
Alright, thanks. No wonder I failed to take them down then. My Cyrus, Tressa, and Ophelia part doesn't have multi-hit attacks.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
He's not, but they quickly grow to a decent level. Furthermore, having a few levels' difference is not a big deal, as stats don't grow steeply. Having good gear is more important. So, it won't be a problem to have one of your characters lag 5 levels behind the other characters, as long as they have good gear.
I think you might have misunderstood me. I'm saying I started Therion's story and I have recruited a couple characters (Alfyn being one) and they are leveling up in my group. My question is how does it work when I want to do Chapter 2,3 etc of Alfyn/Primoses/etc story since Therion is my main character currently.

Nov 1, 2017
I really like Primrose's story the most and she was my starting character but after seeing the perks of the merchant (randomly finds money in the field) and the thief (stealing stuff is fun!) I'm starting to regret my decision of protagonist.

Natalie M.

May 8, 2018
I'm going back & fourth on this game - hoping somebody here can give me some advice!

I've never ever (to my knowledge at least!) played an RPG or JRPG. The closest would probably be Legend of Zelda or Stardew Valley.

Would this game be overwhelming for somebody who has no experience or knowledge in this genre?

I really want to try one out and this game seems like it might be the right fit? Also been tempted by Ys VIII and Xenoblade 2, but intimidated after reading reviews.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
My Cyrus (lvl 22) is doing 1800 damage with an x2 boosted Fire so I just sweep most mobs I come across. I end them before damaging enough to think about capturing. In definitely going to start thinking about capturing more.

My team is

Cyrus/Warrior
Therion/Merchant
Ophilia/Dancer

and then I just swapper out H'aanit/Apothecary for Tressa/Scholar.

Whoa, I might need to get better equipment because my Cyrus pumps out damage but he's not hitting for 1800 with his fire (not even with the one that strikes twice.)

And he's about that level.

It's pretty much a great way to status effects in several party members in one single turn and do unboosted party-wide 800HP+ cures, as well as easily inflicting all kind of status effects in tougher enemies. It's really great as an emergency or secondary healer during the mid part of the game (chapters 2 and 3)

Huh. I need to look into some of those recipes, then. I could swap him for the Warrior in my party because there are definitely times that I wish I had some backup healing.

I just didn't want to sacrifice damage output for it.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina

Currently running with:

How does the buff of Phys Atk work? I understand that elemental attacks take the weapon with the strongest elemental attack, and I though physycal attacks work with the weapon you are using, do you mean it adds all the damage of all your weapons?

Call me YHWH

Oct 26, 2017
Today when I get home, I'm going to bust out a brand new notebook, and start keeping lists of where to buy different materials for concoction in the various towns I've been to so far, and keep notes on NPCs who clearly seem to be future quest hooks. There's a lot of data in the game that is helpful but not automatically recorded. Need physical journal lol.

This sounds dumb but I'm stupidly excited to do this exact thing.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think you might have misunderstood me. I'm saying I started Therion's story and I have recruited a couple characters (Alfyn being one) and they are leveling up in my group. My question is how does it work when I want to do Chapter 2,3 etc of Alfyn/Primoses/etc story since Therion is my main character currently.
Oh yeah, I see. Yeah, your levels are a preserved quantity: every character takes his or her current level into his or her own story, and gains made in that chapter increase the level for the characters in any story. Leveling is independent of which story you are playing.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I've kinda settled into specific combinations:

Alfyn/Warrior (seemingly invincible main)
Therion/Hunter (wanted a good physical 'attack all foes' option for him)
Cyrus/Dancer (boosts his magic even more, access to dark, and buffs on downtime)
Tressa/Cleric (mostly a support character. heals, some magic attacks, gifts BP, etc)

The other 4 are mirrors that basically fulfill the same jobs:
Primrose/Scholar
Olberic/Apothecary (hunter might be better for him, but it's taken)
Ophilia/Merchant
H'aanit/Thief

mob21

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've kinda settled into specific combinations:

Alfyn/Warrior (seemingly invincible main)
Therion/Hunter (wanted a good physical 'attack all foes' option for him)
Cyrus/Dancer (boosts his magic even more, access to dark, and buffs on downtime)
Tressa/Cleric (mostly a support character. heals, some magic attacks, gifts BP, etc)

The other 4 are mirrors that basically fulfill the same jobs:
Primrose/Scholar
Olberic/Apothecary (hunter might be better for him, but it's taken)
Ophilia/Merchant
H'aanit/Thief

I'm having huge selection anxiety over picking subjobs lol but I like how you did it

Nov 21, 2017
Any tips on using capture? I've been trying to catch some powerful enemies but I always end up doing too much damage. It's hard for me to gauge how much HP someone has left. Also if I use Mercy Strike and get a creature's HP down to 1, is going to a guaranteed %100 capture?

Game is doing well. Still not as well as it deserves. Hopefully later reviews will remedy that.

I'm loving the game so far, but I think an 85 average is more than fair.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Screenshot_20180716_182502_Chrome.jpg

Game is doing well. Still not as well as it deserves. Hopefully later reviews will remedy that.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
How does the buff of Phys Atk work? I understand that elemental attacks take the weapon with the strongest elemental attack, and I though physycal attacks work with the weapon you are using, do you mean it adds all the damage of all your weapons?

I'm actually not sure if it takes your "active" or most recently used weapon or not.

All I know is that the stat goes up. And when I forgot to equip a lance on her, meaning she had the base lance, she was still doing good damage with it.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need access to all path actions to proceed? Trying to plan out a party, but I feel like I want one of each of the path action types.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Today when I get home, I'm going to bust out a brand new notebook, and start keeping lists of where to buy different materials for concoction in the various towns I've been to so far, and keep notes on NPCs who clearly seem to be future quest hooks. There's a lot of data in the game that is helpful but not automatically recorded. Need physical journal lol.

Yeah, I might have to resort to this. Might have to waste some time going over the 6 towns I've been to for it, but I can tell I'm gonna lose track. Just a shame my notebook I have for games is still getting used for something (Cultist Simulator) so I'm gonna have to see if I have a new one to start a second set of notes with, starting with this...

Also, are concoction ingredients just sold at provisions? I haven't actually bought any yet.

celigio

Oct 27, 2017
Monteranch
I did most of chapter2, only missing H'aanit. I'm enjoying how low key and grounded the plots are compared to the over the top epic scale of its contemporaries.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Someday, more people will come around on realizing how great Alfyn is. Double-hits of every possible element, great single or group healing, cures any status problems and protects against future ones, Apothecary support skills so far are incredible, grants SP or BP to individuals or the whole party, surprisingly tanky and really self-sufficient. He's my main and so far his only downside really is a lack of weapon coverages.

Been trying to decide what to subclass him with. I didn't entirely want to go Warrior but it might be the most natural fit I can find to keep him as a powerhouse, otherwise I was thinking Thief to keep him focused around healing, breaks, and debuffs. Turning down his pure damage potential is a tough call to make, though.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Someday, more people will come around on realizing how great Alfyn is. Double-hits of every possible element, great single or group healing, cures any status problems and protects against future ones, Apothecary support skills so far are incredible, grants SP or BP to individuals or the whole party, surprisingly tanky and really self-sufficient. He's my main and so far his only downside really is a lack of weapon coverages.

Been trying to decide what to subclass him with. I didn't entirely want to go Warrior but it might be the most natural fit I can find to keep him as a powerhouse, otherwise I was thinking Thief to keep him focused around healing, breaks, and debuffs. Turning down his pure damage potential is a tough call to make, though.

I know right? He's so good. I can recommend Warrior as a sub. Concoct doesn't take BP, so you're likely to have plenty left over to dish out huge attacks when the shields are down. In fact, he's my main damage dealer. Warrior makes him even more tanky too, becoming basically indestructible.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

I love therion's freaking crazy laugh when his
turn comes up, he sounds like he's having the time of his life!

I'll throw this out there for anybody planning ahead; I've tested it, and have had it for a while, and yes, the last passive you get for hunter (Patience: 25% chance of getting an extra turn at the end of a round) triggers for everybody individually! like, you can get 2,3, or if you're REALLY lucky, all four characters to get an extra turn in a round, provided they have the passive! it's amazing, since even if you already used your first turn to unload a bunch of BP, you can do stuff like defend to push somebody up the turn order, sneak in a buff to an ally, take advantage of an extra turn of any turn based buffs since the non-use buffs only tick down at the end of a round, sky's the limit!

it's definitely worth the 4400 JP it'll cost to get to it, if you have that to spare. I'd recommend working out cheaper passives and your character's main classes first, obviously, but an extra turn every once in a while can be a massive boon!

also, another one that has amazing potential is the final oracle passive, that let's you overheal the party member who has it above their max HP. the overhead can't be stacked, but it's clear when it's over because just like with Share SP, your HP turns a different colour when it's above max. maybe less overall powerful, but can definitely help get around low max HP, or setup for an attack you're too late to stop.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
Pleasantly surprised at how much party banter there is in the chapter 2s, each little vignette makes me smile and is quite frankly more than I expected.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017

He'll be my 2nd playthrough main probably.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
35h playtime now, done all chapter 2 and finished my first chapter 3. Going after my first chapter 4 now and thus venturing into lvl 40 areas. I might have been overlevelled until now but I certainly aren't now! Doing my first lvl 40+ optional dungeon now, will this be the first boss I manage to capture!? I will certainly try.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I love therion's freaking crazy laugh when his
turn comes up, he sounds like he's having the time of his life!

I'll throw this out there for anybody planning ahead; I've tested it, and have had it for a while, and yes, the last passive you get for hunter (Patience: 25% chance of getting an extra turn at the end of a round) triggers for everybody individually! like, you can get 2,3, or if you're REALLY lucky, all four characters to get an extra turn in a round, provided they have the passive! it's amazing, since even if you already used your first turn to unload a bunch of BP, you can do stuff like defend to push somebody up the turn order, sneak in a buff to an ally, take advantage of an extra turn of any turn based buffs since the non-use buffs only tick down at the end of a round, sky's the limit!

it's definitely worth the 4400 JP it'll cost to get to it, if you have that to spare. I'd recommend working out cheaper passives and your character's main classes first, obviously, but an extra turn every once in a while can be a massive boon!

also, another one that has amazing potential is the final oracle passive, that let's you overheal the party member who has it above their max HP. the overhead can't be stacked, but it's clear when it's over because just like with Share SP, your HP turns a different colour when it's above max. maybe less overall powerful, but can definitely help get around low max HP, or setup for an attack you're too late to stop.
There are so many great passives but only four to choose from. This is going to be the most difficult part for me.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I'm pretty early into the game, just finished my third intro chapter. Would it be a good idea to seek out the job shrines asap or are they tricky to get to?

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Two sisters living in a castle in a Frozen land, one named Anna... Square-Enix...

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty early into the game, just finished my third intro chapter. Would it be a good idea to seek out the job shrines asap or are they tricky to get to?

I'd get a fourth member first. If you don't have or want to use Cyrus, you should get the Scholar subjob relatively early for the 50% encounter rate reduction. That'll make accessing all the other subjob shrines significantly easier, since they're in level 20-30 areas, and you might have to flee some fights.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoying the atmosphere, music and combat of this game. Game is starting to click, and I'm feeling the 'old-school Squaresoft-magic' again. :)

I only have Cyrus and Ophilia so far, early game.

Anyone feel like sharing some tips on locations of good NPC's/NPC skills that worked well for you? My google-fu is not up to snuff, it seems. (I found one with "Extort", which I guess is some kind of steal. Furthermore, there's a cleric with "Inspiring Plum" in Atlasdam. Reckon that gives you SP back? If so, I might bring that guy with me, since Cyrus uses up a lot of SP atm.)

edit: Anyone know what "Wisdom of the Church" does? It's an NPC skill as well.

(Lastly, wondering what character I should go get next. The tank, the one with "Steal", or maybe the merchant? I'm under the weather and my choice-paralysis is even worse than usual :p)

Thanks in advance, and please excuse my poor English along with all the questions. I blame the fever :C

Last edited: