• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Gen 10 consoles are backward compatible again and allow next-gen updates again, it's technically possible that games which originally launched on PS4 and Xbox One and received PS5 and Series X updates could get updated into a third console generation, but will anything be popular enough for long enough to warrant that kind of lifecycle?

If any of the big GAAS games, especially F2P games, are still popular by the time the PS5 and next Xbox roll around then they'll definitely another next-gen update, it's just a matter of guessing which ones will have that kind of staying power. Can FF14, GTAV, Siege, Fortnite, Rocket League, and PUBG really keep it up until (probably) 2028-2030? I think Rockstar will have moved onto GTAVI by that point.

Outside of those, it's honestly hard to think of any single-player, commercially sold games that have any chance of getting a second next-gen update. I imagine some cross-gen games or last-gen games that got current-gen updates will get updated again for the PS5 Pro, but everything on the market now will likely have passed its shelf-life by the time PS6 shows up. Plus, a major problem (and probably the main reason they'll never update Bloodborne) is having to update old development projects to the latest console development APIs.

The X-factor is the veracity of the rumors suggesting Microsoft wants to launch a next-gen Xbox in 2026, which seriously shortens the timescale. In that situation, I could see Warzone 2.0 getting the update and maybe even Master Chief Collection. I wouldn't put it past them to update Skyrim into its fourth console generation.

What would they even add? Some of these games already hit 4K 120fps. Ray tracing? Some console equivalent of DLAA? Path tracing?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Dead by Daylight I could see it, but it's probably in the same category as the games you have listed.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake will probably get it alongside the release of the final chapter of the remake.

There is some precedent with Far Cry, since Far Cry 5 eventually got a next gen patch, maybe Far Cry 6 will (although that is technically a cross-gen release).

Hitman World Of Assassination might still be getting some support at that time.

Maybe Witcher 3 depending on what else is happening with that IP at that time.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Hmm. I could see a lot of non-GAAS/F2P not bothering. 2 Gens removed is prime "We will just release a new version for money" time I feel.
Granted there's still bound to be SOMETHING that offers it up for free but it'll definitely be few and far between compared to this gen.

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I could see a lot of non-GAAS/F2P not bothering. 2 Gens removed is prime "We will just release a new version for money" time I feel.
Honestly, unless it's a total remake, releasing a whole new version would be even harder to justify if you can already play the original release through backwards compatibility at 4K/60fps.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
I'm pretty sure The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk will be updated. Capcom's RE2, 3, 4, 7 and 8 should also be updated

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I think both Horizon games, but REALLY just Forbidden West. Zero Dawn is more likely to get a paid update because it requires more work.

From a Third Party? RE 7. Capcom isn't going to be close enough to remake it on their current timeline but will Definitely want a native version on PS6/NextBox

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the Sony first party games I imagine will get PS6 patches/upgrades as well. TLOU, Horizon, etc.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
For sure bloodborne wont be getting one

It does seem like Sony is making it easier to patch games this time around, given the news of the PS5 Pro. That will benefit the PS6, since it will allow more games to get a PS6 aware patches, something only a few PS4 games got on PS5.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake has a very good chance given that the 3rd game will likely be a crossgen game, and SE will now have the complete version to of the game to sell.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
No mans sky will inexplicably still be getting free updates 5 years from now and end up with 2 full sequels worth of additions.