• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
[Update Q4 2022]

Since this thread and petition was started, there have been three significant updates to this situation:

1. Nintendo responded and directly commented on this situation at a shareholder meeting:

Shuntaro Furukawa (President of Nintendo) said:
We are aware of the reports that question whether there is forced labor of Uyghurs in factories in Nintendo's supply chain. However, as far as we have been able to investigate, there is no record of the reported factories among Nintendo's business partners. In addition, we have not received any reports of forced labor within Nintendo's supply chain up to this point.

Source (Q9).

Furukawa's comments here deny the findings of the ASPI report, which directly linked Nintendo to Uighur forced labour (see below).

2. The United States have introduced legislation banning the import of goods made with forced labour from Xinjiang into the country. It is hoped that this will lead to global supply chain reconfiguration. However, whether compliance is being followed may require another investigation similar in scope to the original ASPI report.

3. The United Nations have released a report finding that the CCP has committed serious human rights violations in the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region.

In addition to the actions suggested below, future activism should focus on holding these companies to compliance with the US legislation cited above.

Original post continues below.

---

What's the problem?

There has been an infrequently-active thread here on Era discussing the Uighur plight at the hands of the Chinese Communist Party. Check it out:

www.resetera.com

[BBC] In China, Uighurs 'moved into factory forced labour' for foreign brands Apple, Google, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony

It was recommended that I cross post this from EtcetEra for awareness, particularly as we move towards a new generation of consoles. Letting people make informed decisions about where they're willing to put their money is the best thing anyone can do here. Here's the latest on the various...

In short, the CCP are arresting innocent Uighurs in Xinjiang and sending them to concentration camps for 're-education'. The scenes emerging from these camps evoke strong parallels to Nazi Germany, with people being shackled, shaved and loaded onto trains, accounts of forced sterilisation, systematic rape and many other torturous horrors.

This is a sustained effort to wipe out an entire people group – genocide.

Prisoners who the CCP deems suitable for reintegration into society are then shipped out from these camps to work for companies that provide labour for many popular brands, including Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

An important report from The Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI), published in back in March 2020, drew attention to the implication of these companies in this chain of slavery and genocide. Since the publication of this report nothing of note has been done to respond to the situation, and the gaming media have all but ignored the issue. This is not good enough.

Why this thread?

Many of us have been disheartened by the general apathy in the gaming community towards this issue, including on these message boards. Case in point: the aforementioned thread on Era dedicated to discussing this topic accumulated ~1060 posts in about one year, whereas the most recent Nintendo Direct thread received ~7500 posts in less than a week. These numbers speak to what people value most.

I get it – this is a hideous situation and the majority of us want to pretend it doesn't exist because it produces acute feelings of pain and sadness that are hard to face up to, especially when we consider our own implication in this system as end users. This isn't about shaming people or blaming others, but simply to acknowledge the reality of the situation and the system that we are all implicated in.

Nevertheless, as no one else with a platform or authority in the gaming sector is doing anything about this situation it falls to us to do something about it.

What can I do about it?

First, you can take a minute out of your day to add your name to a petition that will try to draw attention to the issue and get a proper response from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. Ideally share it to your social media accounts too.

chng.it

Sign the Petition

Stop Uighur slave labour in PlayStation, Xbox and Switch manufacturing

The petition details the situation and demands Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo divest from suppliers identified in the ASPI report to use forced labour sourced from these camps. If enough of us sign up to it then we may be able to affect some sort of response from these companies.

We'll also need a way to get it before the major players and decision makers at these companies. I know that influential individuals within Xbox frequent these boards, so they might provide a route to Spencer and then Nadella at Microsoft. We will need people with contacts at Sony and Nintendo to step up too.

Again, this will all be dependent on the response the petition gets. If few people sign it and this thread gets buried then it won't make a difference, but I'm putting this out there in the hope that it will.

I want to do more. What else can I do?

1. The first point of call will be to contact your political representative about the issue. Obviously this will differ per country, but below is an evolving list of links to follow to quickly and easily contact your representative. If your country is not on this list, please PM me with details and I will add it:

2. Next, you can contact the companies directly to express your concern. Simply click one of the following mailto links to automatically generate an email addressed to a number of relevant people at these companies. Feel free to modify the placeholder text as you see fit:

3. Stop buying products from these companies. This provides a direct way to impact their business until they agree to complete divestment from the firms identified in the ASPI report. Instead, consider playing through your existing backlog, or buy second-hand, out-of-production consoles and retro games.

4. Donate to charities that work for lobbying and individual relief. LordHuffnPuff has identified a few charities that are worth your consideration, but please be aware that this is not an endorsement. Investigate any organisation yourself before donating:

Save Uighur is a campaign being run by Justice For All, an NGO with Consultative Status at the United Nations Department of Public Information. They're backed by Sound Vision, an Islam-focused nonprofit founded by Abdul Malik Mujahid to promote inter-faith understanding. They seem on the level and based on what I can find about their prior work, it seems largely for the good.

The Uyghur Human Rights Project seems to favor a hybrid approach, providing relief for refugees while also attempting to amplify the voices of survivors and conducting a public information campaign.

Penny Appeal is running a UK-based campaign to provide legal assistance, food and medical aid to Uyghurs who have escaped to Turkey. This campaign doesn't seem to be running in PA's branches outside of the UK, but might be a good option for British members who want their money to directly benefit a real person (though I imagine it does little to address the systemic issues back in China, not that these people don't also need help. It's just a distinct but related issue.)

Similarly, the Ummah Welfare Trust is running a UK-based campaign to aid Uyghurs in Turkey. In 2003 there was a bit of a scandal over a charity fraud probe with this organization, and a more recent audit reads very fishy to me, but I honestly don't know enough to make a judgment call here.

The Canadian branch of the Islamic Circle of North America is running a sponsorship program where you can sponsor an orphan, student or widow in Turkey. They are also trying to resettle some Uyghurs in Canada as refugees. The USA branch has a four-star rating on Charity Navigator but I'm not clear how the Canadian branch measures up (they don't seem to have a distinct profile, or if they do, I couldn't find it.)

These are just a few of the organizations I turned up. The lack of access to Uyghurs in China makes individual relief efforts very difficult, so my advice is to pick which approach you prefer, and use your money accordingly. Also, I hope this is obvious, but being listed in this post is not an endorsement. This is just what I found while looking into things!

5. Volunteer for charities that directly support this cause. A starting point to look for volunteer positions include the following:

How can I educate myself and others about this situation?

- Australian Strategic Policy Institute report, 2020 (Cited above, links forced labour sourced from concentration camps to Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.)
- Amnesty International report, 2021 (Extensive, first-hand testimonies from former detainees. Links to forced labour in global brands.)
- United Nations assessment of human rights concerns in the Xinjiang Uyghur autonomous region, 2022 (UN report finding serious human rights violations)

Last edited:

DirtySprite3

Banned
Sep 13, 2019
Signed. Can't believe how these companies are getting off with not even addressing this situation.

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
I feel powerless and don't know how to make a difference. This is genocide and these people are monsters.

Little concerned as that petition was started 4 months ago and only 4 people signed

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Signed. Please help spread the word, and if possible, ask journalist and members of the gaming media to talk about it.

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have largely been able to ignore this because no one is pressuring them for answers.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the thread. Will sign.

I hope this pressure continues. If people give up without trying nothing will change. Anything that bring attention to the issue helps. No matter how small.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
While I don't disagree with the premise of the OP, the problem is sadly much wider than just the consoles to the point that eradicating it is not really feasible even.
Some of the factories linked to these camps produce basic electronic components that are found in pretty much any device on the planet.
I doubt you'll be able to found any modern and relatively complex electronic product that cannot be linked back to these factories for one of their basic components, even if indirectly and through many hops.
Which is also why they can get away with it without much noise.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Signed

It's really hard as I find stuff like this abhorrent but at the same time feel powerless to influence the situation. I think that's why a lot of people end up compartmentalising the media they enjoy and the things they consume

I'm glad awareness is being raised and hope that soon some positive action can be taken

I prefer raising awareness to shaming people for engaging with things anyway, as I'm not sure how helpful the latter is

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
While I don't disagree with the premise of the OP, the problem is sadly much wider than just the consoles to the point that eradicating it is not really feasible even.
Some of the factories linked to these camps produce basic electronic components that are found in pretty much any device on the planet.
I doubt you'll be able to found any modern and relatively complex electronic product that cannot be linked back to these factories for one of their basic components, even if indirectly and through many hops.

I don't disagree but as I am sure you already know the first step is just getting peoples(and medias) attention to it. So it can't hurt with even a little noise

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

True, but the only thing we can do is try to make enough noise that it starts to bring bad PR to these companies

It might not work, and as you say, the problem goes deeper than just console makers anyway

But the only other course of action is to shrug and say "Yeah, it sucks" so at least this is something

carrot_

Feb 21, 2021
Signed. I only wish there was something more we could do besides a petition, as so often, change.org petitions don't end up doing much in the end. We need a way to get a big enough backing that large companies join the cause and also take a stand—as I feel like it's only when those major companies join in that anyone will actually listen.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about how to rally that kind of support... :(

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Signed and pledged.

Thanks for presenting me with an easy way to try and support people who are willing to more actively do something against this.

Moksha

Jan 29, 2019
Signed. I'm not sure how these companies (even those outside of the gaming sphere) have got away with not addressing this situation thus far.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for taking this initiative! It is so important.

Can this thread be stickied? It's huge and impacts the entire industry...

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
OP, i think you're leaving out that this is cost related. Consumers want new goods at affordable prices. You can't really pressure China as those who will not buy anything will be vastly outnumbered by those that can now afford to purchase. I think a better avenue will be working with actual organizations fighting for change as they have a better foothold in politics. This is just an exercise in feeling better about something terrible :(

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
OP, i think you're leaving out that this is cost related. Consumers want new goods at affordable prices. You can't really pressure China as those who will not buy anything will be vastly outnumbered by those that can now afford to purchase. I think a better avenue will be working with actual organizations fighting for change as they have a better foothold in politics. This is just an exercise in feeling better about something terrible :(
I think this is fair in the same sense that filling out online petitions is less effective than say, calling your congressperson and pressuring them.

I wonder if we could collectively as a community update the OP with different ways to get involved to attempt to make a difference here.

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
Signed OP. I love gaming but will not let modern day slavery go unpunished, even if that means I should pay more for my stuff.

Completely unacceptable from everyone to let this happen, even us as consumers.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
I think this is fair in the same sense that filling out online petitions is less effective than say, calling your congressperson and pressuring them.

I wonder if we could collectively as a community update the OP with different ways to get involved to attempt to make a difference here.

Yeah, my concern is slacktivism where we do something that does not accomplish much, if anything and feel as if our job is done. There are several rights groups that should be supported.

Not to derail the focus off the Video Game Industry, but personally I do not support the 2022 winter olympics at all as they are a showpiece for China to build goodwill when they are committing fucking genocide. There are several organizations petitioning, those have some political clout. If you look at The Guardian article on it, it talks about the more than 180 organisations want countries to skip event as a way of demonstrating their opposition to China's rights record. That to me is the avenue.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my concern is slacktivism where we do something that does not accomplish much, if anything and feel as if our job is done. There are several rights groups that should be supported.

Not to derail the focus off the Video Game Industry, but personally I do not support the 2022 winter olympics at all as they are a showpiece for China to build goodwill when they are committing fucking genocide. There are several organizations petitioning, those have some political clout. If you look at The Guardian article on it, it talks about the more than 180 organisations want countries to skip event as a way of demonstrating their opposition to China's rights record. That to me is the avenue.

Oh, I am definitely boycotting watching the Winter Olympics because of this. It's a much easier thing to do for me then not buying a game console however. But yes, we should find ways beyond individual consumer level action and more so public pressure campaigns/propogating information/supporting local and international orgs that can do more, etc etc.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

Yes, the immediate goal should be to torpedo the 2022 Olympics. Giving the CCP a free global propoganda op knowing what we (the rest of the world) know is not a good look. And it's something they actually care about.

Longer term, we need to pressure companies to invest and build elsewhere so that they can divest from Chinese suppliers. Realistically e.g. Sony isn't going to stop selling PlayStations, and today it's not necessarily possible to assemble the system or build all the components anywhere else at the same price (I am not an expert, maybe I'm wrong).

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
It takes a long time to move supply chains, but we do have any word of large companies like Sony, MS, Nintendo, Apple, etc starting the process of moving out of China to say Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia, etc because of this?

LifeLike

Oct 31, 2017
If moving out the supply chains means paying 1200$ for a PS5 I'm good with it. A console last what? ~8 years?

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I thought it was announced last week Sony and 11 other Japanese conglomerates were actively going to move away from anything beyond produced in Xinjiang?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
It's really hard as I find stuff like this abhorrent but at the same time feel powerless to influence the situation. I think that's why a lot of people end up compartmentalising the media they enjoy and the things they consume

I'm glad awareness is being raised and hope that soon some positive action can be taken

I prefer raising awareness to shaming people for engaging with things anyway, as I'm not sure how helpful the latter is
Yeah I feel pretty much the same way, I've also signed, hopefully it does do it some good, small as that may be.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you for this.

Nintendo/MS/Sony. I will pay more for your console if you shift to more ethical modes of production.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Signed. I also wrote a letter about this (among other things) and sent it to Senator Schumer. I don't really think he has any power here though. Even if companies move manufacturing out of China I don't really see this issue improving much.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
If moving out the supply chains means paying 1200$ for a PS5 I'm good with it. A console last what? ~8 years?

A change in sustainability with be beneficial to the environment too.
I'd rather consoles/ phones/ electronics be designed and built to last generations instead of the 5 year cycle.
This throw away, cheap as possible, constant need to sell us on the latest crap is killing our planet and exploiting other humans. I hate that my entertainment hurts others.
Signed the petition.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Signed and donated to help get the word out. Thanks for making this thread, OP.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Signed.

CCP is pure evil. I can't believe how normalized concentration camps situation has become. Every single electronics company must answer to this.

OP
OP
Salient_Lion

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
Thank you to everyone who has signed and posted in this thread so far. Currently at 210 signatures in ~6 hours. I have no idea if this is good or not, but let's keep the momentum rolling.

I feel powerless and don't know how to make a difference. This is genocide and these people are monsters.

Little concerned as that petition was started 4 months ago and only 4 people signed

People have more power than they think. We'll see how this petition turns out. If this doesn't change anything and your politicians don't listen, the next option open to you would be non-violent direct action.

I actually made this petition 4 months ago, but then realised I needed to wait a month and accumulate 100 posts before I could make a thread here to publicise. And (to my shame) life also got in the way and I forgot. Currently at > 200 signatories.

Agreed. This is why I think it helpful to pick a niche and hone in on it rather than discussing the problem in general terms. Gaming is one of our enthusiasms, so tackling the problem from this perspective makes it more manageable and personal.

I didn't mention it in the OP, but the final paragraph of the petition notes the following:

We realise this may result in product delays and/or increased hardware prices. We consider the human rights or the Uighur to be incomparably more important than our desire for cheap consumer products.

Also, this doesn't have to be an either/or situation. You can both support organisations and politicians who speak out about this whilst putting your name to a petition to call gaming companies to account. As this is a gaming forum, I think it makes sense to focus on the latter here.

Sounds good. Happy to add this to the OP. Where are you based? If you PM me with instructions on how to contact your country's political representatives I can update the OP.

It takes a long time to move supply chains, but we do have any word of large companies like Sony, MS, Nintendo, Apple, etc starting the process of moving out of China to say Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia, etc because of this?

Some companies are seeking to diversify their supply chains. But there has been (to my knowledge) no mention of such a movement being in response to this situation. Rather to avoid tariffs and make more money.

I thought it was announced last week Sony and 11 other Japanese conglomerates were actively going to move away from anything beyond produced in Xinjiang?

I think you are referring to this?

www.japantimes.co.jp

12 Japanese firms will end business deals involving Uyghur forced labor

All, except Panasonic Corp., which declined to comment, either denied directly doing business with firms suspected of benefiting from forced labor or said they couldn't verify the claims.

If so, then I believe this is mostly just a PR exercise:

Japan Times said:
With the exception of Panasonic Corp., which declined to comment, all companies either denied directly doing business with companies suspected of benefiting from forced labor or said they could not verify the claims against their suppliers.

In terms of future policy, 12 companies responded that they would cease or consider ceasing business with business partners found to be using forced labor.

In other words, 'It's not us. If it was we couldn't verify it. If it was verified we'd consider stopping.' This isn't good enough.