CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm watching Gotham for the first time and I really think that they nailed the atmosphere and the aesthetic of the city. I think the Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Returns has the worst ones. They are devoid of any real atmosphere that sets it apart from NYC or Chicago. It's a shame considering how Begins had a good look going for it but it was all abandoned in the sequel. Anyone know why Nolan decided to change the look?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Gotham TV show looked amazing with the budget they had.

They had me believing that was Gotham.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Funny enough I was going to say I was a big fan of Batman Begins, but from what I saw of the first couple of seasons, that Gotham was up there too.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Batman 1989
gotham_city_burtonverse_02.jpg

Opressive, industrial, dirty.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Strictly speaking of TV/Film, in Batman '66 Gotham was just a relatively normal looking city of the time. It wasn't until Batman '89 that we got the dark, brooding Gotham that we are so familiar with on film.

Question for those who are familiar with the comics: Was Gotham always the dark brooding place of later films in the comics, or did it go through a similar transformation over the years?

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
kind of ironic how birds of prey, one of the most cartoonishly over the top batman movies, also has the most subdued and realistic version of gotham

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Probably '89 though I haven't watched Gotham. The idea that the city's a hell built on top of older hells fits really well.

It's a shame considering how Begins had a good look going for it but it was all abandoned in the sequel. Anyone know why Nolan decided to change the look?

For Begins he thought of Gotham as a dying city like Blade Runner's Los Angeles or the Kowloon area in Hong Kong. For Dark Knight he shifted into a Michael Mann coolness/coldness vibe to fit the crime drama story and how a lot of the movie takes place in business/financial areas of the city.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I'd say Batman Begins had the best depiction. It looked like a real, living city, not a soundstage, but also had a unique style and atmosphere that made it feel unique.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree, I find the dark knight's gotham was perfect for what it was. It makes the joker more interesting because he's like a devil dropped into a real place. The truck scene looked fantastic in the Chicago night time.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I'll be honest I'm not a fan of Schumacher's movies but his absurd Gotham with huge statues and crazy architecture is something that always comes back to my mind. I understand that people don't like the "artificial" aspect of a city mostly done by CGI, but I don't care and really like it. I'd post screens if I wasn't on mobile

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I mean Gotham, it had more time to show different parts of the city and give it personality.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Batman The Animated Series or Gotham. Love them both.

*Edit* - Thread title literally says "live action". My bad! Then just Gotham.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Batman Begins struck a good balance between an obvious comic inspired world, and a believable crime-ridden, dark, and dangerous city with its Gotham. The Batman Begins game on PS2/Xbox, and Batman: Gotham Knight to a lesser extent, sort of solidified my love for that version of Gotham. The developers knew what Nolan was going for and completely knocked it out of the park when they deisgned the levels and environments using the Gotham shown in the film.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Disagree, I find the dark knight's gotham was perfect for what it was. It makes the joker more interesting because he's like a devil dropped into a real place. The truck scene looked fantastic in the Chicago night time.
Agree with this. Seeing Joker giddily skipping towards an unconcious batman in the middle of a Chicago street was very enjoyable.

Oct 25, 2017
The best depiction of Gotham was Gotham no contest. Batman begins kind of got there obviously afterwards with dark knight Dark Knight rises they dropped the ball hard.

Gotham though it had the kind of timeless sleaze and grime that you associate with the 1970s in certain parts of the US but a couple steps removed from any sort of reality so you could just treat it like the cartoon world it was.

Through the seasons they defined a very specific layout to the city that was loose enough that they can play with it if they need a character to teleport from one part to another for a convenience but ending up with some game of thrones bullshit.

What a great goddamn show

Nov 13, 2017
I thought Birds of Prey took an interest approach by showing Gotham almost exclusively during the daytime, and by focusing on the East End. The shots of Amusement Mile's roller coasters in disrepair as Harley confronts Black Mask on Founder's Pier got my imagination spinning.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah Gotham by far, by the end of the series it looked exactly like the kind of place you'd need a super hero to come into to save it

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I completely forgot about Joker. It's super grounded but at the same time the city has an incredible(y shitty) personality in that movie. The people in the city were probably the highlight, specially by the riots at the end. Really liked it.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Gotham, it had more time to show different parts of the city and give it personality.
exactly it fleshed out the different sections of the city enough that when a character mention two specific area you knew the general economic situation, the layout to a certain extent, the look, and that's a really great thing to have

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Gotham tv show had lots of problems.
The city of gotham and it's photography were NOT one of those

Honorable mention to Joker, since the photography was one of the few things I loved about it

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm watching Gotham for the first time and I really think that they nailed the atmosphere and the aesthetic of the city. I think the Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Returns has the worst ones. They are devoid of any real atmosphere that sets it apart from NYC or Chicago. It's a shame considering how Begins had a good look going for it but it was all abandoned in the sequel. Anyone know why Nolan decided to change the look?
Gotham is suppose to be Chicago, Metropolis NYC.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched Gotham but I have always adored Burton's Gotham City. I rather like the aesthetics of those movies all together. tbh

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Hands down Gotham did the best job. Hell I lived in NYC and they really succeeded in making it look like a unique city.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Strictly speaking of TV/Film, in Batman '66 Gotham was just a relatively normal looking city of the time. It wasn't until Batman '89 that we got the dark, brooding Gotham that we are so familiar with on film.

Question for those who are familiar with the comics: Was Gotham always the dark brooding place of later films in the comics, or did it go through a similar transformation over the years?

In the early Batman comics the city was often shown at night, giving it a dark atmosphere, and a surprising number of stories took place in Gothic mansions and cathedrals, however, there wasn't really any effort to make it stand out by itself - unless they were related to that issue's story, you wouldn't see those castles or mansions right in the middle of Gotham's skyline.

Then comes the late 40s and 50s where the focus changes to sci-fi and by then Gotham is just a generic city. In the 70s (and for a bit in the 60s, but this was interrupted due to the tv show blowing up) there was an effort to make Gotham darker again - both often showing it at night and even during day you could see stuff like red or yellow skies to give it a weird atmosphere. This also came alongside more stories using castles or dungeons as set pieces. However, yet again, Gotham itself was mostly shown as a standard, but dark, city when you saw its skyline for example (often with a giant moon in the background).

Gothic imagery in the architecture itself noticeable even in random shots of its skyline really became consistent only after the Burton movies.

Last edited:

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
The best version of Gotham City is the 1966 version, because in the daytime it's a pretty normal looking city and a nice place to live aside from the occasional wacko in a cryo-suit threatening to freeze every toilet in town unless he gets to be mayor for a day or whatever.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given Batman Begins dialed back, grounded version of Batman they had a VERY good Gotham for what it was. Felt like a poor, crime ridden city, like old crime ridden mobster new york. Slums and the asylum were great. Felt dense.

And then in TDK and Rise they just said fuck it here's Manhaticago and made almost no efforts to VFX it differently.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Gotham TV was a mess of a show but the city it created was fucking perfect.