• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Just one more reminder for those who keep saying that putting a game in Game Pass will kill sales. Bonus: GTA V just re-entered Game Pass too, but for that monster, it's usual staying on top of the charts.

outriders-top-paid-xbox.jpg

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
It's doing really well on the PS Store too. Happy for SE to have a win after the much more muted response to Avengers.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
What other game should outperform it right now ? There are plenty of Xbox user that don't own GamePass and regardless of that it's the biggest recent release.

MmNow

Apr 2, 2021
Why wouldn't people play the latest release on Gamepass for free?
Let's say giving away the game doubles the amount of players it has opening weekend.

Suddenly there are millions of people playing it that wouldn't otherwise, and they're talking about it too.

That impacts the numbers of people who want to play the game, but who can't or won't buy Game Pass, including on Xbox.

This'll be a lift across everywhere where the game is available.

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
I know people try to say that gamepass will encourage always online games when that isn't true but it is still perfect for gamepass. I would never buy an always online game.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see but they still need to fix their servers. I can rarely get through an hour long session with 2 friends. It's fine on my own now.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
I know people try to say that gamepass will encourage gaas games when that isn't true but it is still perfect for gamepass. I would never buy an always online gaas game.

outriders doesn't feel like a gaas game. I don't even think the game has micro transactions. I could be wrong but I haven't encountered any.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I thought it would demolish sales as the service is illegal and unsustainable though?

But for real, I have no idea why people are buying it, but if this leads to more crazy gamepass day 1 deals, please, by all means, purchase away.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
No.2 is GTAV, a game from 2013. Seems like a fairly low bar to clear to get to No. 1 lol

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that just a promotional list, not a reflection of actual sales?
Pretty sure it's not just a straight translation, there's no reason for them to have it set up that way.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is crazy. And for a brand new I.P.

I can imagine 3rd parties taking notes, potentially meaning more day 1 releases for GP.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Wait OP, are you saying that a majority of the people buying Outriders have it on Gamepass and decided to buy it anyway? How did you infer this?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
They can't keep getting away with it!!

It really is striking though. Seems like the kind of game that'd be fun for the brief time it's riding its popularity high but not long-term.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
If we ignore the fact that GTAV has crazy legs and has been in those spots for years now, sure.

Doesn't change the fact that there are barely any new releases to compete with. If it outsold Resi 8 at release, okay that would be something. Outselling an 8 year old game? Eh congrats I guess

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft are going to have a line of third parties queuing up to launch day 1 on Game Pass. It's a guaranteed revenue stream, an unmatched marketing tool and helps de-risk, the boom or bust nature of "AAA" $60/$70 releases.

It's not the right fit for everything, and I don't expect we'll see it for established "guaranteed" hits but it's the perfect way to launch a new IP.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't change the fact that there are barely any new releases to compete with. If it outsold Resi 8 at release, okay that would be something. Outselling an 8 year old game? Eh congrats I guess

Again, let's completely ignore how you just dismiss the leviathan that GTAV is. As I think you completely missed the entire point of the conversation. Which isn't to compare the sales of newly released games from COMPLETELY different genres, but highlight the fact that the game can still be in a good sales position, despite landing on gamepass day one.

OP
OP
Neural

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
No.2 is GTAV, a game from 2013. Seems like a fairly low bar to clear to get to No. 1 lol
Man, that's GTA V. It's basically a top resident of that chart, constantly beating way newer blockbusters (i.e. CoD). You're talking about it like it's DmC, just to mention another random 2013 game.

Wait OP, are you saying that a majority of the people buying Outriders have it on Gamepass and decided to buy it anyway? How did you infer this?
What? How did you infer I said this, which I'm obviously not saying? :)

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how that list works but Outriders definitly underperformed on Xbox at retail because it is on GamePass. Demonstration below for the UK.

Of course, we're gonna need more examples of AAA games releasing day one on Game Pass to see if there is a solid pattern, but Outriders is under 20% for a reason, wouldn't you think ?

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Outriders could just be being promoted on the store, we don't know that. Online stores do that all the time, these types of pages are curated to show the products they want you to see. This really doesn't tell us anything.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Resident Evil 8 wishes it could sell more than GTAV:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/09/tak...o-v-sold-record-20-million-units-in-2020.html

not Sure you actually know at all how much GTA sells and repeatedly dismissing it as just an old game is a bit embarrassing

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Which games in that screenshot is it impressive that Outriders is outselling? There's nothing for it to compete with.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Would not be surprised if that list has nothing to do with how you aquired the game but rather just reflects that it is currently the most popular game which isn't free to play.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

But every game has been competing worth gta5 since its original release...you can't say eh to that just because of what's releasing right now. Resident evil 8 will be competing with gta5 too.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Not quite. First off, there are hardly any new games out recently, so even massively hampered sales of Outriders would likely still see it placed high. More importantly, as Outriders is also a paid game, it would still appear on a 'most purchased' list if it counts downloads, and would of course be high on a 'most played' list as the game is available for free.

OP
OP
Neural

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Which games in that screenshot is it impressive that Outriders is outselling? There's nothing for it to compete with.
See below

As I think you completely missed the entire point of the conversation. Which isn't to compare the sales of newly released games from COMPLETELY different genres, but highlight the fact that the game can still be in a good sales position, despite landing on gamepass day one.
Exactly.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
without actual numbers these charts don't prove any point
To have a full picture we would need Outriders sales numbers for both PS and XB and then divide each for its total userbase

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This proves nothing without the actual numbers. Not like the competition was heavy.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I don't know how that list works but Outriders definitly underperformed on Xbox at retail because it is on GamePass. Demonstration below for the UK.

Of course, we're gonna need more examples of AAA games releasing day one on Game Pass to see if there is a solid pattern, but Outriders is under 20% for a reason, wouldn't you think ?

Yes, fewer people will buy it at launch because of Game Pass. The idea is that it's the WoM of people playing it, seeing it on friends lists etc, that helps drive sales after launch, that would be pretty difficult for Game Pass to do before launch no? And it won't be on Game Pass forever.

Regardless I'd expect any impact to help digital sales more than retail sales. And let's be honest, publishers aren't going to ever be putting their games on Game Pass to "increase sales", it's going to be for the upfront bucket of money from MS to mitigate risk and help cashflow.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom, throw RE Village day 1 on GP.

OP
OP
Neural

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
More importantly, as Outriders is also a paid game, it would still appear on a 'most purchased' list if it counts downloads, and would of course be high on a 'most played' list as the game is available for free.
It might be, for sure... but we've got It Takes Two up there. Are we saying it's being "most played" than the latest CoD? C'mon. And I highly doubt these lists are just "most downloaded". Makes totally no sense.

I see many people are still willing to dismiss the fact a launch Game Pass game can have good sales too. Does it really sound so weird?

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
It's mad that there was so little hype for this after the demo that they made this deal, and now it's been such a big launch on all systems. The Game pass announcement was a big part of turning that around imo.