Mar 29, 2022
share.jpg

Blizzard celebration tweet (lol): https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1519477448152342529

The Overwatch 2 beta launched last week, a pivot of the original plan for the game which was going to be a grand release of both a multiplayer overhaul and single player content. But Blizzard has decided the multiplayer revamp needed to be pushed live sooner so the game can go back to getting updates again, and for a moment there, it looked like Overwatch was set to have a massive resurgence in popularity.

But a week makes quite a difference, and gamers have a short attention span if they're not kept engaged. Overwatch 2 absolutely shattered records with 1.5 million concurrent viewers on Twitch, boosted partially by people wanting to check out more or less every big name streamer on the platform playing the game, while others were motivated by beta access drops that were going on during streams, so they could get in themselves.

But that enthusiasm seems to have been short lived. About a week after the record was set, Overwatch has lost 99% of those viewers. At the time of this writing, viewership is down from the peak of 1.5 million to 15,000. Granted, it's off hours, but that still puts it outside the top 20 most watched games on Twitch, and indicates that no, we probably will not see Overwatch routinely among the top games again, given that most big streamers went back to their usual fare, be that Fortnite, CSGO, Valorant, League of Legends, Apex Legends, Warzone, etc.

via Forbes

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
i wonder if it had to do with the fact that they stopped tying you watching it to getting beta access haha nooooo couldn't be that! no no no, overwatch celebrated the viewership numbers, couldn't have been because of that.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It'll go up again once beta drops are enabled this weekend.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even a story. People wanted keys so of course it dropped.

funo

Oct 27, 2017
Also - there's nothing to actually watch, tbh.
Overwatch just isn't much of a Twitch game anyway, regardless whether it's OW1 or OW2

One OW pro streamer summed it up nicely in one stream last week: OW just does not have any "clutch moments" or "clutch plays" - watching it feels the same at just about any time because of the constant revives etc.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I only watched it to get beta access (which I didn't get, by the way), so I'm not susprised most people did the same.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, duh.

It's pretty silly that this would come out the day before the second beta access event which is 3 days before the second wave of beta keys go out.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Made a stink by... Posting a single celebratory tweet about it?

The tweet made it sound like people wanted to watch Overwatch for it being Overwatch. It was for the keys, so it was a sly tactic.

As another user said, this article is the natural response when they want to prop up high numbers in general.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
We gotta stop using twitch views as the fucking bar for how well a games doing smh

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey

I mean... yeah, it did? It was a factual statement about one day that's still true lol.

I get that higher Twitch viewership would look better right now, but the fact that it surged so much for the beta still shows that there's a lot of interest in the game (even if it's more for playing than watching) so I don't really get what the "gotcha" is here lol. It's not like they were bot views, they were real people who want the opportunity to play the game.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Next time they set any records in viewership or player numbers they should just post
"...."

I mean, context matters. While a sharp drop-off should come as no surprise to even Blizzard itself, 1.5m tuning in for beta access isn't quite the same thing as 1.5m doing so for, say, a post-release grand final match. Only one of those scenarios shows sustained, meaningful interest. So, while there's clearly a lot of interest in the game, 1.5m folks hoping to get pre-release access to the game for free is, just, well, exactly that -- for now.

I distinctly remember Evolve fans declaring "victory" when it went F2P and its player numbers shot up, only for those figures to nosedive the following month. I don't mean to suggest Overwatch 2 is doomed to that fate (indeed, as I alluded to above, you'd be foolish to bet against the game); rather, I'm just reiterating the point that there's more to the presumption of a game's success than surface-level numbers that are context-heavy to the point of existing in a vacuum.

Edit: To be superly-duperly clear, I don't mean to imply Blizzard's tweet is silly. Much the opposite, in fact: Blizzard would be silly not to make a big deal of the numbers.

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Its a two way thing. Yeh the drop off is so large because people wanted beta access, but at the same time look how many people wanted beta access.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Pretty sure they did this to gauge interest in the game-- and it's safe to say a lot of people were interested.

Just one week in and they added open queue to the beta and role queue times went down quite a bit as a result. Matchmaking still seems glitchy but it is a quickplay only closed beta so I think that's part of the problem.

I think there are more victories than Ls here but that doesn't make the headlines. Hopefully, they add PvE in future betas :P

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Its a two way thing. Yeh the drop off is so large because people wanted beta access, but at the same time look how many people wanted beta access.
Meh. It's more about people immediatly losing interest in OW2 when they realized it wasn't much more than a patch for the original game.
People were excited for an actual sequel.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how anyone would have expected anything else. Those numbers were huge partly because people wanted beta access and partly because people wanted to see the game for the first time. People got beta access and ran off to play the beta, people got their first look and went home.

I guess I don't really understand how the numbers plummeting is a bad thing unless it hasn't translated to big beta numbers at the same time.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I don't understand how anyone would have expected anything else. Those numbers were huge partly because people wanted beta access and partly because people wanted to see the game for the first time. People got beta access and ran off to play the beta, people got their first look and went home.

I guess I don't really understand how the numbers plummeting is a bad thing unless it hasn't translated to big beta numbers at the same time.
It's been cool to hate on OW for like 2-3 years now.

The series has definitely been living below its potential for a while now unfortunately but those Twitch numbers were never going to be sustainable for a beta.

Pokemon Unite has terrible Twitch numbers but that game is fucking huge.

Oct 31, 2017
People are so out of touch on this forum that they don't realize that those big ass numbers that are being pulled on twitch are either usually events, game releases, or esports tournaments and then acting smug about it when the numbers drop. NO SHIT IT'S BECAUSE PEOPLE WANTED A SHOT AT THE BETA BRUH.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
So you're telling me when the most popular streamers aren't streaming a game... the viewers drop on Twitch?

Oh no! This is a shocking revelation. I better write an article.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
1.5 million people wanted the beta? Pathetic! This is a huge failure, because

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
And 100K peak viewers watched the Overwatch League last night on the main channel alone, but I guess that's not as doom and gloom to write about and we should ignore that because it's not on Twitch, I guess 🤷

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, they made a stink about it being a surge in viewership regardless of it being when keys were dropping. They invited this kind of headline.

Yeah, even people here were laughing at those who claimed that OW lost a lot of its popularity due to that record

signal

Oct 28, 2017
"news" about Twitch viewer numbers are always stupid

People are so out of touch on this forum that they don't realize that those big ass numbers that are being pulled on twitch are either usually events, game releases, or esports tournaments and then acting smug about it when the numbers drop. NO SHIT IT'S BECAUSE PEOPLE WANTED A SHOT AT THE BETA BRUH.
'on this forum' yet tons of people are saying no shit it's because of the beta drops lol.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is a complete non-story.

And it kind of feels like the point of the thread is to laugh at the game with that tweet being in the OP, despite the fact that this really isn't an issue at all.

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish this had something to do with the toxic ppl running this company and consumers finally doing something about it and letting the game flop but it's all about beta access.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
The story is a bit premature since a more accurate barometer of interest will be what it looks like when OWL is playing the beta and more keys drop. If it's not top 10 on Twitch at that point then there's an issue.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

And some Posters are so out of touch with TWITCH that they don't see the obvious uniqueness of a game dropping 99% instead the usual 20 to 80%. Sure, Valorant can make a headline about doing 1 million viewers with an event, but the next week they still have 500.000 viewers.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Paul Tassi getting lazier and lazier with his "articles"
Gotta hit that quota i guess.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Yea, they should probably just cancel the game and fire all the devs, its a failure.

People really hate this game and want to try to make a dig whenever they can, huh.

Viewership is double what it was before the beta release with barely any new content and streamers playing QP.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Well yeah, it'll go back up when they do wave 2 of drops and then back down. That's kinda how it goes with these things. Kind of a nothing thread really.

Also given that a lot of bigger games than Overwatch don't have the regular viewer numbers that Overwatch does, Twitch isn't the most accurate metric of a game's success.

I get that some ERA posters are so desperate to have something to point and laugh at and want to see OW fail and all, but this is pretty normal. Game's still popular, for better or worse.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Not surprising given what others have said about beta keys and all of that. I don't think its a non-story though, OW has had trouble competing with the biggest games on twitch for years and its only gotten worse. If OW2 continues that trend then I question the longevity of the franchise, and I certainly question its esports scene. OWL needs eyeballs.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Well yeah, it'll go back up when they do wave 2 of drops and then back down. That's kinda how it goes with these things. Kind of a nothing thread really.

Also given that a lot of bigger games than Overwatch don't have the regular viewer numbers that Overwatch does, Twitch isn't the most accurate metric of a game's success.

I get that some ERA posters are so desperate to have something to point and laugh at and want to see OW fail and all, but this is pretty normal. Game's still popular, for better or worse.

If Blizzard doesn't Blizzard, OW PvE has the potential to be massive. Twitch numbers be damned.

Oct 31, 2017
And some Posters are so out of touch with TWITCH that they don't see the obvious uniqueness of a game dropping 99% instead the usual 20 to 80%. Sure, Valorant can make a headline about doing 1 million viewers with an event, but the next week they still have 500.000 viewers.

I know your 500k viewers is probably just a random number to prove a point but if we look at twitch tracker, for valorant specifically, you'll notice that the game itself averages about 139k viewers. This is after the latest VCT finale and is what I would consider its normal viewer numbers. Its peak viewership numbers amount to 1.7 million which, I think you can guess where this is going, was on April 7th in 2020 which is the day the beta officially started (twitch drops and all).

GoFyRCS.png

The peaks you can see in this graph are, IIRC, the months when they had VCT or other esports-related broadcasts. If you look at December 2021 which was when the last VCT grand championship was held and January 2022 you'll notice a drop in viewership numbers of about 70% and this is for a game that has consistently been relevant ever since its release. Overwatch and for that matter Overwatch 2, which is a game that hasn't been relevant for quite a few years now with a beta that is very limited in content and appeals mostly only to people who have played the original game before dropping down to these numbers makes perfect sense in this scenario imo.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Overwatch and for that matter Overwatch 2, which is a game that hasn't been relevant for quite a few years now with a beta that is very limited in content and appeals mostly only to people who have played the original game before dropping down to these numbers makes perfect sense in this scenario imo.
This is what I don't understand about people constantly harping on about the low viewership. What do people expect? It's a beta. It's far from complete and is going to change significantly by the time the next beta comes out and even more by the time the full game comes out, people understand that, what reason is there really to keep watching it once you've seen the current changes? Of course major streamers are going to go back to their usual stuff instead of spending a ton of time on an unfinished game. When Overwatch 2 actually launches for real, THEN it'll have a legitimate opportunity to rebuild the community and provide a reason for people to stream it full time and for audiences to stick around. And maybe it really will flop and do terrible numbers when that happens. But low numbers now feels meaningless to me.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Weren't people watching because of beta keys? Of course the viewership would drop like crazy after everyone got their keys. It is a tactic to artificially inflate your numbers.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Twitch metrics are such a weird way to measure long term success. News flash, a majority of people would rather play the game rather than watch someone else unless.