Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
www.gamesradar.com

Overwatch 2 fans think a beta is imminent after a substantial dev update

Could Overwatch 2 launch in April 2022?
An Overwatch 2 beta could be on its way if susbstantial dev update is anything to go by.

As spotted by @Helba_The_AI on Twitter (via BlizzTrack), it looks as if Blizzard may be preparing to release a beta version of Overwatch 2. As highlighted by the tracking website, the dev version of Overwatch was updated from 1.68 to 2.0 on Battle.net yesterday, February 3, which has left some fans theorizing that this is something to do with testing the highly anticipated sequel.
The timing of this update does line up with Blizzard's comments from September 2021 where it confirmed that an early Overwatch 2 build will debut at OWL 2022. The Overwatch League 2022 is due to kick off in April so it makes sense that the developers could be testing out an early build of Overwatch 2 a couple of months before the event.
We've gotten a lot of mixed signals of this game over the last 6 months. First there was the rumour of a Q2 2022 release back in August.
www.dexerto.com

Behind the Scenes at the OWL: Reactions to the lawsuit and the future of the league - Dexerto

Overwatch League has had to deal with issues on two fronts, with the lawsuit against Activision Blizzard and the long wait for the sequel.
On August 7, the reputed Overwatch insider Metro spoke publicly about these rumors, stating that "from what I can gather a release in 2022 does not seem likely anymore."

An internal Activision Blizzard source told Dexerto this was incorrect and added that getting the game out as soon as possible was now a high priority.

"We're more than aware we need to get it out," they said."So the word is the dev team has been told to lock in the features the game has, get it fixed and get it shipped. We're looking to get it out before the Summer of 2022."

Another source, a member of franchise management, also corroborated this version of events.

"We've all been told that the aim is Q2 of next year," they informed us. "The timing of the release will factor in the league schedule because obviously they don't want to switch game versions in the middle of a season."
Then the game along with Diablo IV was delayed indefinitely in November.

Now it seems a 2022 release might be looking back on the table?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TBH, I expect this is the OWL build, and I would not be surprised if it doesn't make it out to the public this year. After all, in terms of multiplayer the main difference (aside from new heroes) is a change to five-a-side (down from six in OW1). The main OW2 additions (new maps, new heroes and the PvE content) can be gradually introduced over the OWL season (or not, depends on how Blizz wants to approach this).

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is probably just the OWL build. Don't think it indicates a 2022 release is likely since the main issue is presumably the single player.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Definitely the OWL build.

Hope people don't think this means a beta is coming out for fans to play. I'd be shocked but happy if it did.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
I think most in the community are cautious because we've been burned to many times but this is the main dev client and OWL has a separate tournament client that they use.

The idea that OWL player would have to play OW2 for their jobs then go home and practice/stream on OW1 would be a bit absurd.

Right now rumors suggest some announcement in the 3rd week of February. Ultimately this is still a positive if they are testing it on the battle.net client.

Home - BlizzTrack

A powerful website which lets you view the versions of all the games that Blizzard Entertainment has on Battle.net!

Last edited:

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
OWL teams need to scrim and tryout players playing the same game. I mean there used to be outrage when the league and the live game weren't on the same patch version, let alone the same game. It would be absurd otherwise (but hey, we've seen weirder shit). The OWL build means a beta will be available I'm pretty sure.

Oct 27, 2017
I said it in the OT, but if the Overwatch League is actually starting in April and being played on OW2, I think they have to have some sort of public beta pretty soon. I don't see how you can play at a competitive level on a game that's only ever been tested internally. Both in terms of bugs and balance, you need to let the crowd in, if only for peace of mind that there's nothing too broken in there. It was only a couple of weeks ago that they pushed a patch to live OW1 that had multiple subtle (but extremely game-breaking) bugs, and that was only from a very minor balance update to a five year old game!

monkyrez

Oct 27, 2017
I've talked about this with friends and not only do you have a situation like others above have said, where you need new talent that isn't signed to a pro team able to play the game in order so show their skills to prospective teams but for me a big part of why I love eSports so much is being able to play the game myself and compare my play to pro players and learn where I can improve and think about why players are making particular decisions. It would take a lot away from the viewing experience if you have no touchstone for all the decisions the pro players are making in matches.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Then the game along with Diablo IV was delayed indefinitely in November.

So that delay was an announcement as part of financial year. I said at the time that the PvP can still come out, because it's essentially free to OW1 owners. It's the PvE that will be delayed and that's the mode people have to pay for.

OP
OP
Shoot

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
So that delay was an announcement as part of financial year. I said at the time that the PvP can still come out, because it's essentially free to OW1 owners. It's the PvE that will be delayed and that's the mode people have to pay for.
Releasing what they have for the PvP now and developing what they have for PvE further would be a really smart idea. It would revive the franchise and take pressure off of making sure the PvE part is out by a certain date.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Releasing what they have for the PvP now and developing what they have for PvE further would be a really smart idea. It would revive the franchise and take pressure off of making sure the PvE part is out by a certain date.

Yup!

And I'm calling my shot from the Overwatch hangout thread. 22-2-22 for announcement or beta release.

Feb 4, 2018
Hopefully they've seen the strategy work for Halo Infinite and want to just put a product out there.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I too have thought a Halo Infinite staggered mode launch is the way to go for Overwatch 2, with presumably a larger gap between PvP 2.0 and PvE campaign than Infinite. A WIP intended for casual play is fine for a player like me who just wants some new maps, characters and the fresh coat of paint for our social space - the competitive/esport tuning or whatever being perfect at a soft launch I don't care about.

And then it's Microsoft's job to figure out how to make the PvE campaign a big deal launch if it's staggered - not my problem. I think the campaign launching into Game Pass would be an interesting enough experiment for subscription services - Halo Infinite rollout part 2.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's what they should have done 2 years ago. But better late than never I guess.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I don't even know what the current vision for OW2 is, i wouldn't be surprised if they end up scrapping the PVE stuff & just release this as a MP only title. I think Activision execs have less power at the moment & there has been a lot of dispute about the PVE content.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what the current vision for OW2 is, i wouldn't be surprised if they end up scrapping the PVE stuff & just release this as a MP only title. I think Activision execs have less power at the moment & there has been a lot of dispute about the PVE content.
PvE was the original focus of OW2, so I don't see a situation where they let all of that work go to waste. I'm fully expecting F2P for the PvP and probably also the PvE, with a bunch of stuff locked behind battle passes and maybe also a "premium player" one time purchase for competitive mode + other perks.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

They won't scrap it, but they also won't bind the next two seasons of OWL to a stagnant meta for it.

Or at least they shouldn't, because that's how you lose yet another revenue stream to inaction.

But yes, at this point, no one but blizzard knows what the PVE even is, and it sounds like it's been restarted 3 or 4 times since 2018.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We've known a build of the game is coming in april and we know we won't be the ones playing it lool.

Unless something changed and they have different plans now.

OP
OP
Shoot

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
The PvE was looking very promising when they last showed it and addressed complaints of the boring gameplay in the co-op events of Overwatch 1. I think it will be really popular when it releases.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
It's imo safe to assume a public beta of some sort, for limited time, will happen this year. Probably while OWL is going on maybe? Or within the season. It has to, having a competitive league all playing a game no one else can is not exciting. It's just frustrating.