• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Update:
Gotchaforce might want to add this to the OP just so its clear

Not gonna know about improved graphics until someone does a comparison.

XBOX UPDATES
Optimized for Xbox Series X|S Enhancements

Added "Preferred Mode" graphics option which allows switching between three different presets: "Resolution", "Balanced", "Framerate". These modes adjust video settings to bias towards image quality, resolution, and framerate.

• "Resolution" : This mode prefers higher-resolution output at the cost of some image-quality (Series X: 4K @ 60Hz, Series S: 1440p @ 60Hz)
  • "Balanced" : This mode prefers image-quality at the cost of resolution (Series X: 1440p @ 60Hz, Series S: 1080p @ 60Hz)
  • "Framerate" : This mode prefers higher frame-rate at 120 frames-per-second at the cost of both image-quality and resolution (Series X: 1440p @ 120Hz, Series S: 1080p @ 120Hz)
  • NOTE: Not you must have a TV that supports 120Hz or VRR (Variable-Refresh-Rate) to fully take advantage of the "Framerate" mode

Outside of timed stuff like Yakuza 7 has this happened yet? I own both and can't think of a situation where one was updated and the other wasnt. Yes I'm bitter because it's not cross progress and PS5 is where I play it.
As for the update it's 3 modes: Resolution (4k, 60fps) or Framerate (120fps) or balanced.
see post 70 for more details, I don't know how to link it

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is it a proper series X version or are those options through backwards compatibility? I'm getting the impression that the latter is a bit easier to do on xbox

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Microsoft buying ActiBlizzion confirmed?!?

I'm sure the PS5 patch is coming soon. Would be bizarre to make a frickin patch exclusive.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Overwatch is currently dead until OW1.5 when it comes to support. Don't be surprised but if you seen the latest Blizzcon, Overwatch is in a pretty dire spot.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
These generally come down to the way BC works on both platforms. You can't patch a PS5 game the way you can an Xbox title. It requires a recompile and some devs aren't putting that much effort into things for older titles.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Is this one of those patches that work because of how they handle backwards compatibility or something? I think CoD did the same for Warzone for a bit.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Like MW before it, it's possible to do 120hz on BC for Xbox, wherease PS5 requires a bespoke version.

This is a huge hurdle and is the reason I'm playing my XSX a lot more lately. BC improvements are pretty impactful at the start of a generation.

Won't be an issue with new games, obviously, but as it stands, Xbox won BC outright for this reason alone, in my opinion.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Probably a BC thing, you can't make a PS4 game to run at 120FPS on PS5 through BC, you need to make a PS5 version and Blizzard won't do this at this point.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Wasn't Cyberpunk the same? I think it's just because of MS's more graceful back compat solution. I suspect something closer to parity when next gen updates come with Overwatch 2.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thats... strange. If its a proper next gen port then im not sure why they would skip PS5. Hell, you could probably prioritize PS5 because of more players.

Might just have worked better in their workflow. Or prepping for a GamePass release potentially.

Overwatch seems to just push updates like this out when they're ready rather than release with a bang.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's the same as Star Wars Squadrons : Xbox One already supported 120hz output and there is a tier of Xbox Dev kit that lets the game know what console it is being played on.
Sony however believe in generations and if you want to use next gen functions in your game, you have to ship a new version of the game, complete with all the paperwork, cost and time associated with that.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I bet it will come eventually but Sony's BC is the reason for stuff like this, it just isn't on the level of MS at the moment.

It's just easier for devs to deal with right now

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's the same as Star Wars Squadrons : Xbox One already supported 120hz output and there is a tier of Xbox Dev kit that lets the game know what console it is being played on.
Sony however believe in generations and if you want to use next gen functions in your game, you have to ship a new version of the game, complete with all the paperwork, cost and time associated with that.
Maybe blizzard took advantage of the easy xbox port and decided to wait until Overwatch 2 to do a proper PS5 release?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It also has the logo and can be filtered in My Games & Apps as a X|S game. Unlike some of the BC upgrades.

Might be a half way house as wasn't a full.game download tho.

Same as Rocket League. Has the logo, but it's just a patch in the devs own words.

I'm sure you can just flag a game as not compatible with USB if they're doing something with the SSD. Or maybe just even had comparability issues. MS are allowing a lot of flexibility with BC, so it's probably just up to devs

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Overwatch has a series x update? Is this new?

Hit around 4 hours ago

XBOX UPDATES
Optimized for Xbox Series X|S Enhancements

Added "Preferred Mode" graphics option which allows switching between three different presets: "Resolution", "Balanced", "Framerate". These modes adjust video settings to bias towards image quality, resolution, and framerate.

• "Resolution" : This mode prefers higher-resolution output at the cost of some image-quality (Series X: 4K @ 60Hz, Series S: 1440p @ 60Hz)
  • "Balanced" : This mode prefers image-quality at the cost of resolution (Series X: 1440p @ 60Hz, Series S: 1080p @ 60Hz)
  • "Framerate" : This mode prefers higher frame-rate at 120 frames-per-second at the cost of both image-quality and resolution (Series X: 1440p @ 120Hz, Series S: 1080p @ 120Hz)
  • NOTE: Not you must have a TV that supports 120Hz or VRR (Variable-Refresh-Rate) to fully take advantage of the "Framerate" mode

Because it was only an 8.1gb update and not an entire-redownload like true next-gen versions are.

The large download was because of a rebase, all versions got it
ANNOUNCEMENT
Patch 1.58 is a rebase and will require a relatively large download for all platforms.

Is there an official statement or anything? Maybe the PS5 patch is still coming?

OW team has difficultly with explaining things to the community. We get somethings while others we guess at, we know of these updates because it was in the patch notes of today's patch.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Appreciate the insights. So it seems like there's not really all that much of a line between an enhancement patch and a new version in terms of how the console treats it?

Not having the ability to do this on Playstation seems like a fairly terrible design decision on Sony's part.

OP
OP
Gotchaforce

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
My tv can't even do 120fps. Can't believe Apex and Modern Warfare got resolution bumps but 120fps is holding it back (and Sony).