• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'll be so sad if I dont get Talon Baptiste.

I started playing him more and all parts of his kit are a lot of fun and the skin is smooth as fuck.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If only all the 2cp maps could disappear. The guy in the reddit thread who said the mode was cheeks got the point across perfectly.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I haven't seen it either, but I took like a 2 week break until this week and have only played like 20-25 games total. Because I also haven't played on Nepal in a while.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Paris in competitive this whole season and haven't seen it in QP in at least a month. I actually forgot the map existed until I saw it in OWL.

Oct 27, 2017

Whoa.

I haven't played Paris in competitive this whole season and haven't seen it in QP in at least a month. I actually forgot the map existed until I saw it in OWL.

Unfortunately, Paris has featured very frequently for me. Which is bad, as even by 2CP standards, it's the worst map in the game (that first point especially).

I suppose that's why nobody noticed Numbani not getting picked until now. It's not a good map and it's not a bad map; nobody has any strong feelings about it when it pops up.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa.

Unfortunately, Paris has featured very frequently for me. Which is bad, as even by 2CP standards, it's the worst map in the game (that first point especially).

I suppose that's why nobody noticed Numbani not getting picked until now. It's not a good map and it's not a bad map; nobody has any strong feelings about it when it pops up.
I very much dislike Numbani.

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I just played on Numbani so maybe you guys have just gotten lucky? Granted it was Mystery Heroes but it did show up for me...

Oct 28, 2017
Quick question about the Archive event that's happening right now. Are there any unique rewards/unlocks for completing any of these mission on the highest difficulty (like an icon or anything profile-wise?). Or is it simply just for the sake of challenge and maybe some bonus exp? I'm playing on PS4 btw.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It is actually astounding at how bad people are at positioning in this game.

People walking right away fron a friendly rein barrier, immortality field, transcendence etc only to die immediately and bitch about not being healed.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
It is actually astounding at how bad people are at positioning in this game.

People walking right away fron a friendly rein barrier, immortality field, transcendence etc only to die immediately and bitch about not being healed.

I had a Reinhardt literally walk out of my immortality field when he was 40 HP, and he continued to flame me for not keeping him alive (despite me begging him not to walk out of the field until I healed him).

I'm hoping that players will become more comfortable with the magic lantern that can keep them up until I can heal their ungrateful asses, but I'm starting to wonder if they are truly clueless.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I had a Reinhardt literally walk out of my immortality field when he was 40 HP, and he continued to flame me for not keeping him alive (despite me begging him not to walk out of the field until I healed him).

I'm hoping that players will become more comfortable with the magic lantern that can keep them up until I can heal their ungrateful asses, but I'm starting to wonder if they are truly clueless.
To be fair it does need a better indicator but theres no excuse for needlessly weaving in and out of Rein barriers since the fucking beta.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
To be fair it does need a better indicator but theres no excuse for needlessly weaving in and out of Rein barriers since the fucking beta.

All the same, if there's an ability called "Immortality Field" that will make you immortal, I would stay in the damn field unless I either need to back up or get out of the way of an oncoming Dragon, Whole Hog, or Barrage.

I'm happy that I've been having fun playing Hammond on an alternative account (got to Masters with him, fun fact), as he's a tank that's so much fun to play, can be an annoying nuisance, and I can lone wolf it without feeling like a piece of paper when playing Reinhardt or losing my marbles when I'm the only one making callouts with my teammates.

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
I don't have any answers to that, but I want to set some realistic expectations: OW will probably get a Role Queue and it will significantly help the game, but bad team comps will still happen. Like, people will pick Roadhog-Zarya as the tank duo, Zenyatta-Brig as healers, and so on, just stuff that doesn't work well together. And there will always be those who play badly even in a good team comp.

I think tilt is just a part of a game as team oriented as OW and there is no getting around the fact that sometimes the matchmaker will put you with people who fail you.
That's true role queue won't make everything perfect but it would solve the main reason I get tilted, from being forced flex to healer and/or tank, when I want to play DPS.

But your right I have to try and not let the game tilt/affect me so much.
I don't play competitive once that starts to happen. There's plenty of other game modes to play if you still want to play the game.
I started a resolution that everytime I lose 2 matches in a row, I'll take a break from competitive and play a game of QuickPlay orDeathmatch.
I'll be so sad if I dont get Talon Baptiste.

I started playing him more and all parts of his kit are a lot of fun and the skin is smooth as fuck.
A Baptiste tip: If you hold down both mouse/trigger buttons you can heal & damage at the same time.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Holy shit, Doesn't matter for most of us but surprised it took this long
Hello everyone!

Starting with Season 16 of Competitive Play, Grandmaster players (players with SR >4000) will no longer be able to queue for competitive matches in a party size larger than two. In an effort to have higher quality and more fun matches for everyone, Overwatch actively tries to place parties of similar sizes together to create fair matches. For the vast majority of players this feature of the matchmaking system works reasonably well. For our Grandmaster players, making fair matches is always more difficult simply because there are fewer players of their skill level to place together. It's even harder if we allow Grandmasters to queue with larger groups. We believe this change will help create better quality matches for all Grandmaster players.

Thank you and please continue to share your feedback about Competitive Play!
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/update-for-competitive-play-season-16/338345

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
I was thinking that instead of a "forced" role-queue Blizzard could implement a "preferred" role queue (w/o locked roles). Before searching matchmaking players choose their preferred role (tank, dps, support) then the game's algorithm tries to match up a 2-2-2 composition based on preference, but players can still choose any role/hero they want.

EdiT: Also on the "select hero" screen it'll sjow everyone's prefered hero class next to their name.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think it's much of a factor even for GM players. It's only really aimed at the top 500 players who roll around in six-stacks at off-peak times, winning matches against inferior teams (because that's the best the matchmaker can do) and very slowly inching up the leaderboards a couple of SR at a time. Even that might be an urban legend, honestly!

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking that instead of a "forced" role-queue Blizzard could implement a "preferred" role queue (w/o locked roles). Before searching matchmaking players choose their preferred role (tank, dps, support) then the ganes algorithm tries to match up a 2-2-2 composition based on preference, but players can still choose any role/hero they want.

I dunno, in LFG when roles are open it sometimes devolves into people selecting off roles. Most of the time it's good, but relying on people to listen hasn't gone so well in OW lol.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking that instead of a "forced" role-queue Blizzard could implement a "preferred" role queue (w/o locked roles). Before searching matchmaking players choose their preferred role (tank, dps, support) then the ganes algorithm tries to match up a 2-2-2 composition based on preference, but players can still choose any role/hero they want.
Only works if queuing for an off-role to avoid a longer queue time is a bannable offence. Even then, that's rife for exploitation

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
I don't think it's much of a factor even for GM players. It's only really aimed at the top 500 players who roll around in six-stacks at off-peak times, winning matches against inferior teams (because that's the best the matchmaker can do) and very slowly inching up the leaderboards a couple of SR at a time. Even that might be an urban legend, honestly!

It'll help, I know seagull ran into a six stack last week doing bunker on every map because its basically unbeatable on ladder causing him to stop playing that night because he didn't want to run into it again. I've heard plenty of complaints about it. You can look through this thread to see pros are happy about it https://twitter.com/FunnyAstro/status/1122927488106102786?s=20

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the vast majority of players this feature of the matchmaking system works reasonably well.
Yeah, nothing like having to take an L cause random Diamonds decide it's a good idea to match with their low-plat/mid-gold friends. Works reasonably well™.

This is why I just stick to QP/Arcade now.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I meant to say lucioball. Stupid autocorrect.

If they stop recycling events, then we I'll truly know Overwatch is back.
That's a low bar for me and also not really what I want for the game. New events would be nice. Proof of some actual, systemic changes to the game that they've supposedly been working on would be better.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
That's a low bar for me and also not really what I want for the game. New events would be nice. Proof of some actual, systemic changes to the game that they've supposedly been working on would be better.

I guess it's not the most important thing in the world, but it made it so that it felt like Overwatch didn't have anything new to offer. And it also meant the casual playerbase left the game for greener pastures. I want to look forward to stuff in OW again. Of course the main game mechanics come first, but having stuff to just try out that is different makes the game fresh.

Also, the Workshop basically proved that there is no excuse for the lack of content here either. In a little over a week, players have come up with dozens of unique modes using third person code. If they just had access to a map editor and were able to create some art assets, we'd be having unique events every month. For christ sake, someone's already made a pretty advanced Moba of Overwatch, with attacking towards and everything. But they weren't capable of a new summer games mode in 3 years time?

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I guess it's not the most important thing in the world, but it made it so that it felt like Overwatch didn't have anything new to offer. And it also meant the casual playerbase left the game for greener pastures. I want to look forward to stuff in OW again. Of course the main game mechanics come first, but having stuff to just try out that is different makes the game fresh.

Also, the Workshop basically proved that there is no excuse for the lack of content here either. In a little over a week, players have come up with dozens of unique modes using third person code. If they just had access to a map editor and were able to create some art assets, we'd be having unique events every month. For christ sake, someone's already made a pretty advanced Moba of Overwatch, with attacking towards and everything. But they weren't capable of a new summer games mode in 3 years time?
Honestly, setting up the workshop is an immense amount of work, specially considering this all needs to go through console certification

I forgive them now

Making new modes gonna be much easier too

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
yeah, I imagine this will be a valuable tool internally too as it will allow blizz devs to make a proof of concept prototype easier and faster

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

I continue to hope that the OW team have been working towards a handful of huge features, such as:

- New main mode, not arcade
- Maps for said mode
- Matchmaking 2.0
- Role queue
- Guilds/social system of some kind

And that they've been chipping away at all of them simultaneously. Honestly, people have been complaining about competitive for ages and I think that set off alarm bells that the team has been trying to silence for over a year. Now, since then, between putting out other fires like balancing and hero reworks, maintaining the map/hero release schedule, and potential mismanagement and/or glitches, they've allowed things to fall the wayside like events. Which makes sense, I suppose, but we've yet to see the fruits of our patience. But they seem like they're coming this year? So that's my hope for 2019 OW

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
man, hero gauntlet is really FUN, i hope they add more silly modes to the arcade cause since server browser came up they killed most of the modes i used to play for the lols

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Started playing again on Xbox recently, and have noticed the queue times for quickplay can be pretty long at times. Is the population poor on Xbox now, or is matchmaking just slow as hell? I'm talking peak afternoon / early evening, not like 2am or anything.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Started playing again on Xbox recently, and have noticed the queue times for quickplay can be pretty long at times. Is the population poor on Xbox now, or is matchmaking just slow as hell? I'm talking peak afternoon / early evening, not like 2am or anything.
Hmm, how long you talking? For comp on Xbox, queue times are usually a couple minutes on average, Quickplay normally faster.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, how long you talking? For comp on Xbox, queue times are usually a couple minutes on average, Quickplay normally faster.

I'm seeing 3-4 minute queue times. When I played before it seemed like queue time was always a minute or less, but that was probably just because the game was still relatively young.

It just seems odd that sometimes we'll only have 1 spot to fill before the match can start, and the game will just time out and decide to reinstance instead of find 1 person.

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
EDIT: Is numbani still MIA? It's my fav map :(
Yeap, I can't remember the last time I played Numbani and I've been playing several hours daily.
I dunno, in LFG when roles are open it sometimes devolves into people selecting off roles. Most of the time it's good, but relying on people to listen hasn't gone so well in OW lol.
I've had that happen, but in my experience most LFG players stick with their role or risk getting kicked. The "preferred" roles was mainly to increase the chance you'll get to play a role you want instead of flexing.
Only works if queuing for an off-role to avoid a longer queue time is a bannable offence. Even then, that's rife for exploitation
"Preferred" roles will still have its faults (ie. queuing off-role), but it would still be a better system than the current 100% randomness we have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.