• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I had no idea Namco didn't have control over Ms. Pacman, that's so bizarre. Happy to see Battle Royale and Championship in this collection though.
Again, Namco did release Ms. Pac-Man on PS4, XBox and Steam.

store.steampowered.com

ARCADE GAME SERIES: Ms. PAC-MAN on Steam

Developed in America and first released in 1981, Ms. PAC-MAN finally comes to Steam! Move Ms. PAC-MAN up, down, left, and right to avoid the ghosts and gobble up all the Pac-Dots!

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
The original Pac n Roll on DS has one of the most batshit stories I've ever seen in a game. I never tried the Wii version, so I may have to play it in the collection to see if they kept that in.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
CE2 is pretty divisive, but the new mode they added in Plus on switch is a decent return to form so it might be worth getting the arcade pac if you're interested in trying it and don't care about the other iterations of pac-man

Eh? Didn't realize there was a tweak in this release. Tell me more ....

The absolute star of this is going to be Pac-Man Arrangement (arcade version). That was only previously available in 3 ways:

- original arcade game, which was itself in a compilation that is very hard to find in the wild. I've only seen it twice personally.
- the PS2/GameCube/Xbox release of Namco Museum. It was mostly arcade-perfect, but low-resolution.
- the GBA release of "Pac-Man Collection" which was obviously hacked down to fit the screen. Not optimal!

...and it is *the* best game in this new collection, bar none, apart from Battle Royale if you actually have 4 players. Don't believe me? Play it when this comes out and you will agree!
Agree - Arrangement is really great. I have the PS2 version but yeah, it's not an optimal experience. I'm looking forward to seeing how it's presented here.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
If I recall correctly Midway wasn't credited for the Ms. Pac-Man available on the SNES version of Pac-Man 2.

Namco Museum Archives Volume 1
  • Galaxian (1984)
  • Pac-Man (1984)
  • Xevious (1984)
  • Mappy (1984)
  • Dig Dug (1985)
  • The Tower of Druaga (1985)
  • Sky Kid (1986)
  • Dragon Buster (1987)
  • Dragon Spirit: The New Legend (1989)
  • Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti (1989)
  • Pac-Man Championship Edition (2020) NES Demake
Namco Museum Archives Volume 2
  • Galaga (1985)
  • Battle City (1985)
  • Pac-Land (1985)
  • Dig Dug II (1985)
  • Super Xevious (1986)
  • Mappy-Land (1987)
  • Legacy of the Wizard (1987)
  • Rolling Thunder (1989)
  • Dragon Buster II (1989)
  • Mendel Palace (1989)
  • Gaplus (2020) NES Demake

A curiosity is that the third volume that hasn't been released in the west includes Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei which was published on Famicom by Namcot.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
A curiosity is that the third volume that hasn't been released in the west includes Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei which was published on Famicom by Namcot.

Actually Japan just had one collection (Namcot Collection) which had all the games on both Museum Archives Vol 1-2 plus some others. It was Switch exclusive in Japan too, no PC/PS4/XBO versions.

The JP only games are:
  • Star Luster (1985)
  • Warpman (1985)
  • Metro-Cross (1986)
  • Super Xevious: Gamp no Nazo (1986)
  • Tower of Babel (1986)
  • Valkyrie no Boken (1987)
  • Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei (1987)
  • Family Jockey (1987)
  • Wagyan Land (1987)
  • Yokai Dochuki (1987)
  • Family Circuit (1988)
  • Kaiju Monogatari (1988)
  • King of Kings (1988)
  • The Quest of Ki (1988)
  • Tenkaichi Bushi Keru Naguru (1989)
  • Rock 'n Ball (1989)
  • Namco Classic II (1992)

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Eh? Didn't realize there was a tweak in this release. Tell me more ....
plus mode is a completely separate game mode with its own set of mechanics and progression, they kind of present it as co-op, but when playing solo you interact with the mazes very similarly to CE DX where you finish half, get a fruit and move onto a new half

it does still feature the bosses, but they're modified a little to be more of an obstacle in your way of collecting pellets

it doesn't completely fix every issue folks had with it, but i ended up finding it a much more replayable experience than the base CE2

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Surprised they haven't tried to re-release Pac-Man Fever on vinyl.
Apparently the original recordings were not available for some reason, be it rights or just being lost. There's a more recent recording you might hear in some places (Lollipop Chainsaw) but it's actually a good bit different anyway. This is the original release.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
plus mode is a completely separate game mode with its own set of mechanics and progression, they kind of present it as co-op, but when playing solo you interact with the mazes very similarly to CE DX where you finish half, get a fruit and move onto a new half

it does still feature the bosses, but they're modified a little to be more of an obstacle in your way of collecting pellets

it doesn't completely fix every issue folks had with it, but i ended up finding it a much more replayable experience than the base CE2
Thanks. I checked it out in a video review. … The game is just too off for me. The fact that ghosts don't kill upon touch, the screen pulling away for the ghost train cut scenes, the bomb mechanic, all the jumps and especially the need to return to the same spot in the maze to reset every board are all too weird for me.

I enjoyed the ghost train mechanic of DX and wish it were included here.

Also, did not know about Ms PM Maze Madness. Looks like I should track down that and PM World for my PS1 collection.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what you can play that mode in single player at all

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Oh cool, 14 Pac-Man games!

We should finally get Pac-Man Jr. Wonder if they did Baby Pac-Man? It would be doable, even though it was like half Pinball.

Watched the trailer in disappointment. You couldn't squeeze these in Namco?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I secretly hoped for Pac-Man World games while watching this trailer, haha.
Seems like a pretty good collection, anyway.
1 & 2 are legitimately fun games.

Nice to see Pac 'n Roll here. Future proofing that game by basically remaking it for the Wii Namco compilation was a really smart move, otherwise, it'd still probably be stuck on DS. Shame Ms. Pac-Man is in the situation it's in; Maze Madness in particular was a pretty fun game.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Finally CE gets a re-release. CE2 just never scratched the same itch, but they seemed determined to only port that one for the longest time.

Also, everyone mentions Ms. Pac-Man and Namco's disrespect for it, and the fact that it started its life as a Midway bootleg game doesn't help. But the same is true of Jr. Pac-Man and for those who haven't played it, that game is definitely a quality follow-up.

The original Pac-Man Championship Edition and its 5-minute score attack mode is the real deal. The game was designed by the original creator, Toru Iwatani, in collaboration with Microsoft when it launched exclusively on XBLA.

I am going to buy this collection just for CE1.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this includes some nice modernizing for Pac-Man CE. Bump up that resolution, please.
...Wait, this is the original CE, not CEDX+. Forgot about that.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I did a double take. No Ms. Pac-Man?!

…and there you go. That's what I've feared as soon as I saw the thread's title in the main page.
I'm so pissed right now you guys won't believe it. Ms. Pac-Man is my favorite game ever and I just can't ever goddamn have it on Switch.

At least the 2nd best pac-man game ever is finally getting a release on modern platforms outside of Xbox. So, bought.

Is Championship Edition not being DX a big deal?

Yes. CE vanilla is much, much better.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
If I recall correctly Midway wasn't credited for the Ms. Pac-Man available on the SNES version of Pac-Man 2.

Woah. I had no idea there was a third volume on the Japanese eShop. I've gotta pick that up.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I only wish this included Pac-Man Vs. ...

Agree on both counts. Forgot about VS. Bummer.

Pac-Man VS is in Namco Museum (and Namco Museum Arcade PAC), on Switch that is. You can even download a free version so that you can play against people in local wireless without needing 4 copies of the game (only 1 copy needed).

You won't ever (?) see it on anything other than Nintendo platforms, since they own the code and Myamoto designed and produced it, with Martinet voicing Mario as the announcer.

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is actually a relatively good collection for once, despite the lack of Ms. Pac-Man which is still a bad look.

Can we get a Pac-Man World collection now, please? That includes Pac-Man World, World 2, World 3, World Rally, and as a bonus, Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness.

All of those games I listed feature Ms. Pac-Man, so stop dodging her already!

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
this is correct, if you're not interested in anything but classic pac-man then namco museum's got you covered and you also get VS. if you want a bunch of versions of classic style pac-man, then museum+ is the better option. some of them are real gems, like Arcade Arrangement, and others are... mixed.

CE2 is pretty divisive, but the new mode they added in Plus on switch is a decent return to form so it might be worth getting the arcade pac if you're interested in trying it and don't care about the other iterations of pac-man
Glad to know there could be some merit in CE2 even with this original CE now coming it sounds like.

I really wish this would've included Vs., then I could just buy this collection and have it all right there! Or that Vs. was available as a standalone purchase like CE2.
The only repeated game is actually just the original Pac-Man.

Namco Museum
  • Pac-Man (1980)
  • Galaga (1981)
  • Dig Dug (1982)
  • The Tower of Druaga (1984)
  • Sky Kid (1985)
  • Rolling Thunder (1986)
  • Galaga '88 (1987)
  • Splatterhouse (1988)
  • Rolling Thunder 2 (1990)
  • Tank Force (1991)
  • Pac-Man Vs. (2003)
Pac-Man Museum+
  • Pac-Man (1980)
  • Super Pac-Man (1982)
  • Pac & Pal (1983)
  • Pac-Land (1984)
  • Pac-Mania (1987)
  • Pac-Attack (1993)
  • Pac-in-Time (1994)
  • Pac-Man Arrangement (1996) AM Version
  • Pac-Man Arrangement (2005) CS Version
  • Pac-Man Championship Edition (2007)
  • Pac Motos (2007)
  • Pac 'n Roll Remix (2007)
  • Pac-Man Battle Royale (2011)
  • Pac-Man 256 (2016)
Additionally Bandai Namco and Hamster have made a deal to release classic Namco arcade games under the Arcade Archives line. So far they've done these titles:
  • Pac-Man (1980)
  • Rally-X (1980)
  • Xevious (1982)
  • Mappy (1983)
  • Phozon (1983)
  • Libble Rabble (1983)
  • Sky Kid (1985)
  • The Genji and the Heike Clans (1986)
And also Bamco did a set of compilations for their NES games:

Namco Museum Archives Volume 1
  • Galaxian (1984)
  • Pac-Man (1984)
  • Xevious (1984)
  • Mappy (1984)
  • Dig Dug (1985)
  • The Tower of Druaga (1985)
  • Sky Kid (1986)
  • Dragon Buster (1987)
  • Dragon Spirit: The New Legend (1989)
  • Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti (1989)
  • Pac-Man Championship Edition (2020) NES Demake
Namco Museum Archives Volume 2
  • Galaga (1985)
  • Battle City (1985)
  • Pac-Land (1985)
  • Dig Dug II (1985)
  • Super Xevious (1986)
  • Mappy-Land (1987)
  • Legacy of the Wizard (1987)
  • Rolling Thunder (1989)
  • Dragon Buster II (1989)
  • Mendel Palace (1989)
  • Gaplus (2020) NES Demake
Woah, thanks! Is there any difference between the original arcade Pac-man and the NES port?

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
You know what, and I know this definitely falls into "hot take" category but…

Pac-Man kinda sucks. I don't think I've ever played a Pac-Man game and actually had fun. I understand it's a 100 year old arcade game and you maybe had to be there at the time, like the original Donkey Kong (which also sucks). But at least they turned that around into some awesome platformer games… they tried that with Pac-Man too and those games are all bad too.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Is Championship Edition not being DX a big deal?
They're fundamentally different games. They both share the mechanic of being a score time attack, where each half of the maze regenerates when you eat all the dots and then the fruit, but the original CE is much closer to the original Pac-Man in that there's only the four classic ghosts; whereas DX additionally has individual sleeping ghosts throughout the maze that you can wake up to make them follow you, in addition of entire rows of sleeping ghosts. Because the score for eating a ghost increases with each subsequent one you eat in a short time, DX is all about waking up ghosts to set up a long train following you, and then snacking on both them and as many remaining sleeping ghosts in a combo. Oh, and the game gets progressively faster the longer you play without needing to shoo away the ghosts from you, which is good (because you get more points more quickly), but obviously also makes it harder.

Pac-Man kinda sucks. I don't think I've ever played a Pac-Man game and actually had fun. I understand it's a 100 year old arcade game and you maybe had to be there at the time, like the original Donkey Kong (which also sucks). But at least they turned that around into some awesome platformer games… they tried that with Pac-Man too and those games are all bad too.
Have you played CE DX? Most people I know that have tried that for like five minutes have become addicted.

Last edited:

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA

i mean, my first experience with the games was the original game on a game boy color in 1998 and i fell in love with the franchise there

i just like arcade-style score attack games, it's not really that foreign a concept

on the flip side, i've just never cared for the world series since they're pretty middling as far as 3D platformers go for the era

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017

Wrong thread

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Actually Japan just had one collection (Namcot Collection) which had all the games on both Museum Archives Vol 1-2 plus some others. It was Switch exclusive in Japan too, no PC/PS4/XBO versions.

The JP only games are:
  • Star Luster (1985)
  • Warpman (1985)
  • Metro-Cross (1986)
  • Super Xevious: Gamp no Nazo (1986)
  • Tower of Babel (1986)
  • Valkyrie no Boken (1987)
  • Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei (1987)
  • Family Jockey (1987)
  • Wagyan Land (1987)
  • Yokai Dochuki (1987)
  • Family Circuit (1988)
  • Kaiju Monogatari (1988)
  • King of Kings (1988)
  • The Quest of Ki (1988)
  • Tenkaichi Bushi Keru Naguru (1989)
  • Rock 'n Ball (1989)
  • Namco Classic II (1992)

Woah. I had no idea there was a third volume on the Japanese eShop. I've gotta pick that up.

The games could be bought standalone or in three different sets, the third set included DDS:MT, some games in the other two were also exclusive to Japan.

store-jp.nintendo.com

DLC第3弾セット

任天堂の公式オンラインストア。「DLC第3弾セット 」の販売ページ。マイニンテンドーストアではNintendo Switch(スイッチ)やゲームソフト、ストア限定、オリジナルの商品を販売しています。

Although I'm not sure why stuff Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti got released in the west.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
No Ms Pac Man and no Pac Man 2 The New Adventure sucks. But I like this package and might pick it up if I can find it cheap.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017

It's okay to not like Pac Man or score attack games in general, but to say Pac Man sucks is just ignorant. Pac Man has been a beloved game and mascot all over the world for the past 50 years.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
What I'm secretly hoping for in this Pac-Man C.E. re-release is the addition of leaderboards WITH replay data upload. Not only does this allow you to see strategies and reflexes from top players, it also prevents or discourages cheaters from hacking the leaderboard. (or at least provide Namco absolute proof so they can manually have it removed).

It really sucks seeing the current Xbox leaderboard violated with a couple of 999999999 points as top scores where 500K - 600K range is the theoretical limit.

Aside from the aforementioned enhanced leaderboards, a 4K resolution output would be nice :)

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Don't have much interest in the arcade style games, but would be interested if they included some of 3d platformers. Actually had a fun time playing Ghostly Adventures a few years back.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I am legitimately so disappointed that World isn't on this. It is an incredibly underrated series.
They should just do a World Collection later with all the late 90s/early to mid 00s using that character design (before they moved to Ghostly Adventures):
  • Pac-Man World (1999)
  • Ms. Pac-Man: Maze Madness (2000)
  • Pac-Man Fever (2002)
  • Pac-Man World 2 (2003)
  • Pac-Man World 3 (2005)
  • Pac-Man World Rally (2006)

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Motos is a pretty cool game, the X68k version has a KILLER arrange and MT-32 soundtrack:

Never knew there was a Pac-themed takeoff on it.

This seems like a pretty comprehensive collection, with a few noteworthy absences. Definitely gonna pick it up when it releases.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
PAC-MAN: Look at me!
pacman-jerma.gif

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Buying this just for Pac-Man Arrangement, easily the best Pac-Man game out there (aside from whichever Championship Edition you prefer). I was so disappointed when the original Pac-Man Museum only had that mediocre PSP game of the same name instead of the true arcade king. Pac-Motos was also one of my favorites from the Wii Namco Museum so I'm glad to see it back.

Pac-in-Time is a nice addition, if only they'd thrown Pac-Man 2 in there as well. Today's generation needs to experience that fever dream of a game.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
This appears to be one of the best collections in a while. Reminds me of stuff like Sonic's Mega Collection on GameCube, Xbox, and PS2 or Mega Man Legacy collection. A lot of modern retro collections are essentially just rom dumps, but I love when effort is put in to the museum aspect of it.

Not to mention, it's always exciting to see them put out rare or currently unplayable games in these collections, rather than just the same games we can already play on modern consoles *ahem, SEGA*

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I wish this was in the collection too. It's much better than its sequel.
It's a bit of a shame about this one. It really does fit with the rest of the library, whereas the World games or Pac-Man 2 really don't. It's a great game. And it's not available on these platforms AFAIK.

Also, I'd like to take a moment to recognize that they finally got the artwork in the borders right — they used arcade instructions and artwork for the arcade titles. Baffling how they got that wrong in so many previous collections.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I wish this was in the collection too. It's much better than its sequel.
I appreciate that the sequel is very different (even if it's very questionable how much of it works), in the same way that DX is very different to CE (and works incredibly well). They can't all be winners. There was really no way to make a sequel to DX that wouldn't be either pointlessly minor additions (at which point, why bother making a sequel at all), or a risky new formula. That's the problem when a formula works so well; it's really hard to make significant changes that don't break it.

I would definitely have wanted them to keep making more of them, to see if they struck gold again, but I guess DX2's reception kind of killed that. :/