• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Despite the success of many, many Switch games in Switzerland, the Switch SKU of FIFA 21 was the weakest of them all, even behind Xbox Series X|S.
So you expect a legacy version (not even based on the full version, the version it is a legacy for was already incomplete ) to do better than actual new versions of the game?

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It was actually supposed to be a joke about how EA is treating their sports games on Switch, but the comments in the thread show that a number of Nintendo fans in our sales community still have an inferiority complex. And considering the number of Switch exclusives charting in many different countries, I would say it's time to try to get rid of it.

FIFA 21 - Legacy Edition is a different sku and unfortunately sold a lot more than it deserved to, which was 0 units.
I looked, and you're right. For some reason, I thought it wasn't a separate SKU in the Swiss chart, but it is.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The responses weren't even that bad, even if some didn't perceive the initial post as a joke. Weird to bring up a inferiority complex because some replied to the post.

It happens to the best of us in this thread, between all the posts and users it's not always as easy to differentiate between jokes and legit posts. The claim that Fifa NSW could perform better (than at least the XSX) in a country that has a very high Switch software rate right now isn't that crazy since it happened from time to time in countries like France and Spain.

So yeah that was all rather harmless, no need to overthink it.

Speaking of next week charts ...it's gonna be interesting to see how MHR gonna hold up.2 weeks until the next content update.

Retail report for Week 13, 2021 in Spain

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
vandal.elespanol.com

Los juegos de Switch monopolizan la lista de los más vendidos en España

La consola de Nintendo vive un excelente estado de salud en nuestro país con 8 de los 10 juegos más vendidos en la semana del 29 de marzo al 4 de abril.

Spain - Week 13, 2021

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury recovers the first place after being dethroned by Monster Hunter Rise the previous week. Mario title's impressive run continues with no signs of slowing down at all, I am totally speechless at how this game is performing in Spain. Meanwhile, Monster Hunter Rises dropped to 2nd place with sales declining by 78%. Outriders was the only new release and here nobody bought it, it had to content itself with less than 1.000 units among all platforms retail.

March, 2021 top 3 is the following:

1. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (NSW) - 29.400
2. Monster Hunter Rise (NSW) - 23.250
3. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4) - 20.000

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury last 4 weeks:

[Week 10, 2021] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (NSW) - 5.850
[Week 11, 2021] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (NSW) - 5.550
[Week 12, 2021] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (NSW) - 5.100
[Week 13, 2021] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (NSW) - 5.400

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Digital split is much lower, though.
Case by case. Rise has a confirmed higher digital ratio than World upfront for example (40% vs 30%).

No German specific source. But PS4 is quite strong here.
Sony shares their digital split every quarter (~70%), and I don't think Nintendo comes close to that.
Also, while Nintendo is dominating physical software charts all around the globe, Sony reports higher full game sales (phys + digit).

So a higher digital share for Sony in Germany as well is quite reasonable to me.
If you're talking IR figures then Sony's "full game" figures include all software while Nintendo's exclude digital only titles. Apples vs Oranges.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
vandal.elespanol.com

Los juegos de Switch monopolizan la lista de los más vendidos en España

La consola de Nintendo vive un excelente estado de salud en nuestro país con 8 de los 10 juegos más vendidos en la semana del 29 de marzo al 4 de abril.

Spain - Week 13, 2021

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury recovers the first place after being dethroned by Monster Hunter Rise the previous week. Mario title's impressive run continues with no signs of slowing down at all, I am totally speechless at how this game is performing in Spain. Meanwhile, Monster Hunter Rises dropped to 2nd place with sales declining by 78%. Outriders was the only new release and here nobody bought it, it had to content itself with less than 1.000 units among all platforms retail.

March, 2021 top 3 is the following:

1. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (NSW) - 29.400
2. Monster Hunter Rise (NSW) - 23.250
3. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4) - 20.000

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury last 4 weeks:

[Week 10, 2021] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (NSW) - 5.850
[Week 11, 2021] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (NSW) - 5.550
[Week 12, 2021] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (NSW) - 5.100
[Week 13, 2021] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (NSW) - 5.400

Hardware

Switch - 4900
PS5 - 2800 ( 1800 disk / 1000 digital)
PS4 - 2100
Xbox - 650 (635 S / 15 X)
Xbox One - 135

I continue to being amazed by the numbers that the PS4 pulls weekly.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
It was actually supposed to be a joke about how EA is treating their sports games on Switch, but the comments in the thread show that a number of Nintendo fans in our sales community still have an inferiority complex.

LMAO this is a bit pathetic honestly.

I don't see any weird/defensive responses, besides yours, people were pointing out the obvious since it seemed you didn't know it's
• a different sku
• a crappy legacy version

Also, that was a joke? Man you really need to work on your humor

Australia & New Zealand Top 10 for Week 14, 2021

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
(Week 13, 2021 data on page 3, post #102)

se6Rz4O.png

Australia:
Week 14, 2021 - All Formats (Units)

5f9Y3ew.png

01. Grand Theft Auto V
02. Outriders
03. Monster Hunter Rise
04. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
05. FIFA 21
06. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
07. NBA 2K21
08. Ghost of Tsushima
09. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition
10. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

New Zealand:
Week 14, 2021 - All Formats (Units)
vLyRdPl.png

01. Grand Theft Auto V
02. Outriders
03. Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy
04. FIFA 21
05. It Takes Two
06. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
07. NBA 2K21
08. Ghost of Tsushima
09. Tekken 7
10. EA Sports UFC 4

Week 10, 2021
Week 11, 2021
Week 12, 2021
Week 13, 2021

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Hardware

Switch - 4900
PS5 - 2800 ( 1800 disk / 1000 digital)
PS4 - 2100
Xbox - 650 (635 S / 15 X)
Xbox One - 135

I continue to being amazed by the numbers that the PS4 pulls weekly.

Series S is widely available in Spain just like here in Portugal i see. It hasn't been sold out since January or February in here actually.
Also interesting to see that they have been producing lots of Digital PS5.

Sounds like things are a lot more balanced when compared to release back in November.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sony is looking to ship about 340 million units of sw on PS4 and PS5 this past FY. Nintendo forecasts about 205 million for the FY. Nowadays Sony does include digital only games but back when they didn't they were around 10% of the total sw shipments so there is still sizable gap. Considering how almost every retail chart is so Switch heavy (not to mention Japan) that must mean that PS still has considerably higher digital split for sw globally. I mean obviously there are other factors too like PS sw being more frontloaded than Switch sw and is split between larger amount of games.
Total software numbers might end up being closer though as digital only titles tend to sell significantly more on Switch, often several times over versus other consoles in the cases we hear about. The Switch digital only ratio being 30%+ of packaged+digital wouldn't really be a surprise if we look at PlayStation's rough 10% to extrapolate out from. Switch also has more digital only releases than PS4+5 in total, not aligned but actual current total, while it has far fewer total packaged releases (both aligned and total).

Sony including bundled only software (like their Playroom series) also skews things a bit. Nintendo does include bundled software in their numbers too but only when it's also sold separately outside hardware (like Wii Sports or Nintendo Land). Otherwise 3DS software would jump rather significantly from it's 3 bundled only titles (AR-Games, Streetpass Mii Plaza, Face Raiders).

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Total software numbers might end up being closer though as digital only titles tend to sell significantly more on Switch, often several times over versus other consoles in the cases we hear about. The Switch digital only ratio being 30%+ of packaged+digital wouldn't really be a surprise if we look at PlayStation's rough 10% to extrapolate out from. Switch also has more digital only releases than PS4+5 in total, not aligned but actual current total, while it has far fewer total packaged releases (both aligned and total).

Sony including bundled only software (like their Playroom series) also skews things a bit. Nintendo does include bundled software in their numbers too but only when it's also sold separately outside hardware (like Wii Sports or Nintendo Land). Otherwise 3DS software would jump rather significantly from it's 3 bundled only titles (AR-Games, Streetpass Mii Plaza, Face Raiders).

That might be true but when talking about charts in these threads it doesn't matter. By all accounts for games with retail release PS still should have considerably higher digital split (and Xbox even higher although gamepass nowadays kinda makes sw sales hard to read on Xbox). Otherwise you don't get these kind of retail charts that are dominated by Switch games and yet global sw shipments show pretty different story (far more competitive). Depending how many Digital only PS5s Sony continues to ship the gap should be even growing.

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
game_Charts_2021-03_PCKonsole_DE.jpg

German charts for march. 13 Nintendo published games, 2 Switch exclusives and 2 games that prob sell 90% on Switch. Insane.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
That might be true but when talking about charts in these threads it doesn't matter. By all accounts for games with retail release PS still should have considerably higher digital split (and Xbox even higher although gamepass nowadays kinda makes sw sales hard to read on Xbox). Otherwise you don't get these kind of retail charts that are dominated by Switch games and yet global sw shipments show pretty different story (far more competitive). Depending how many Digital only PS5s Sony continues to ship the gap should be even growing.
The top of the charts is only a slice though, it doesn't give you a good picture on overall packaged sales. I mean, again Switch has far fewer packaged releases overall, if you're trying to extrapolate from overall software to arrive at a digital ratio it's still not a 1:1 here due to disparity in catalog and new releases. Switch can lead a top 10 or 20 and still sell less packaged games overall (and likely does). All you can really tell from these charts are Nintendo's own games are incredibly popular and have pretty unheard of staying power with only a real handful of comparable games from other pubs (FIFA, GTA, COD, Minecraft, Spidey, etc).

I mean, I'd guess Switch likely still has a higher packaged ratio still yes (and part of that is probably due to how packaged games run directly on the system without any installation and the comparably limited default storage options for digital) but I'm not sure today post-Covid if the ratio is that far behind other systems when we hear about even huge titles like Animal Crossing or Monster Hunter doing around half their sales on eShop. And especially not when digital only games are also dominating competitively versus other consoles, Switch may even lead in overall digital sales due to that.

OP
OP
Mpl90

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
The top of the charts is only a slice though, it doesn't give you a good picture on overall packaged sales. I mean, again Switch has far fewer packaged releases overall, if you're trying to extrapolate from overall software to arrive at a digital ratio it's still not a 1:1 here due to disparity in catalog and new releases. Switch can lead a top 10 or 20 and still sell less packaged games overall (and likely does). All you can really tell from these charts are Nintendo's own games are incredibly popular and have pretty unheard of staying power with only a real handful of comparable games from other pubs (FIFA, GTA, COD, Minecraft, Spidey, etc).

I mean, I'd guess Switch likely still has a higher packaged ratio still yes (and part of that is probably due to how packaged games run directly on the system without any installation and the comparably limited default storage options for digital) but I'm not sure today post-Covid if the ratio is that far behind other systems when we hear about even huge titles like Animal Crossing or Monster Hunter doing around half their sales on eShop. And especially not when digital only games are also dominating competitively versus other consoles, Switch may even lead in overall digital sales due to that.

Didn't Switch start getting more retail releases than other systems in 2019 at least in US? I remember Mat Piscatella tweeting about it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Switch start getting more retail releases than other systems in 2019 at least in US? I remember Mat Piscatella tweeting about it.
Maybe with boutique publishers but I'd still doubt it with major distributors. Switch also has far fewer catalog rereleases (still no Selects line?!) so only looking at new titles isn't really representative of the full retail landscape. And many packaged Switch releases are often for previously digital only titles, which would still skew awkwardly if we're trying to figure out a rough digital ratio by looking at Nintendo's IR shipments. A retail release like Sonic Mania Plus or Snipperclips Plus is likely 100% packaged for example in Nintendo's figures because the earlier digital releases are unadjusted/uncounted and it's unclear if going forward the digital counts transition to packaged either. Actually this would be a good question for clarification in the investor meetings, plus maybe asking why they don't just give full software numbers now.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

I mean obviously yes there are other factors like you said (switch sw being top heavy when it comes to titles) and also overall sw behaves differently and games are not as frontloaded as on PS/xbox. I wonder though when will Nintendo start to share sw sales for digital only sw too. It makes no sense to me that is not shared as they are legit games.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I mean obviously yes there are other factors like you said (switch sw being top heavy when it comes to titles) and also overall sw behaves differently and games are not as frontloaded as on PS/xbox. I wonder though when will Nintendo start to share sw sales for digital only sw too. It makes no sense to me that is not shared as they are legit games.
I feel like it has to happen eventually, especially after this past year drove their packaged digital ratios so much further. Maybe they'll shift accounting with the new Switch model release but I sort of hope they go back then and adjust older software figures too.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it has to happen eventually, especially after this past year drove their packaged digital ratios so much further. Maybe they'll shift accounting with the new Switch model release but I sort of hope they go back then and adjust older software figures too.

I mean if they start to share digital only sw shipments too it only makes sense that they would also adjust their older figures. Sony did this too.

I thought Germany was considered sonyland

From big European markets it seems Italy is the only one that currently could be considered Sonyland. I mean just look at the above weekly chart that was just posted heh.

Jan 20, 2019
I mean if they start to share digital only sw shipments too it only makes sense that they would also adjust their older figures. Sony did this too.

From big European markets it seems Italy is the only one that currently could be considered Sonyland. I mean just look at the above weekly chart that was just posted heh.

I believe is the only country that shares physical + digital.

Jan 8, 2021
Switch don't have GTA, CoD and sports game(Don't talk about fake FIFA).So, it is not surprising that total sales figures are less than ps4-5
Edit: Although we say that 3rd party support has increased, it is not surprising that the sales of a lot of 3rd party games are lower because they are released on Switch late.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Since digital was mostly somewhere between low and non-existent on older Nintendo systems, I don't think it would matter in most cases if they provide digital numbers for those...
I don't think they're so non-existant. Even in Wii's first fiscal year (5 months) we had 28.8m packaged games shipped, 5.8m consoles shipped and 3.3m digital games (Virtual Console) sold. If that ratio maintained we'd be looking at over 100m digital sales on Wii alone, and that was a decade ago.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Oh. Then those charts make more sense.

I don't think they're so non-existant. Even in Wii's first fiscal year (5 months) we had 28.8m packaged games shipped, 5.8m consoles shipped and 3.3m digital games (Virtual Console) sold. If that ratio maintained we'd be looking at over 100m digital sales on Wii alone, and that was a decade ago.
Weren't Virtual Console games basically games of older nintendo consoles sold on Wii? does it even make sense to count those as Wii sw sales. it would be like if Sony counted PS1 games sold in PSN during PS3 era to PS3 (or PSP) sw sales.

Dec 2, 2019
Do you think that, with only physical games counted, the italian chart would look like the german one?

I don't think so. It's just Playstation in Italy is a cultural phenomenon. You don't say: "I play videogames" here, you say: "I play the Playstation".

There's only so much Nintendo can do in Italy.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Weren't Virtual Console games basically games of older nintendo consoles sold on Wii? does it even make sense to count those as Wii sw sales. it would be like if Sony counted PS1 games sold in PSN during PS3 era to PS3 sw sales.
Is that much different from Sony counting Arcade Archives now (which they do) for PS4?

VC were platform specific releases, they should count. They also weren't the only digital games on Wii but Wiiware didn't arrive until 2008. And honestly I'd love if Sony did the due diligence of adding full digital sales to PSP, PS3 and Vita too (and gave us actual Vita hw/sw totals while at it). PSN Classics / Game Archives might need their own category though since they weren't device specific, or maybe just added to the software figures tor system first bought/installed on. Same for PS mobile games.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Is Italy considered a big European market ? From what i remember they are quite a bit away from UK, Germany, France and even Spain.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Is that much different from Sony counting Arcade Archives now (which they do) for PS4?

VC were platform specific releases, they should count. They also weren't the only digital games on Wii but Wiiware didn't arrive until 2008. And honestly I'd love if Sony did the due diligence of adding full digital sales to PSP, PS3 and Vita too (and gave us actual Vita hw/sw totals while at it). PSN Classics / Game Archives might need their own category though since they weren't device specific, or maybe just added to the software figures tor system first bought/installed on. Same for PS mobile games.

I guess it depends on the perspective but to me it's bit tricky if it really is just the original code being emulated on new machine. I mean Sony does now combine PS4 and PS5 sw but it's like if someone bought PS4 game on PS5 and suddenly that would count as PS5 sw sale and not PS4 sw sale. I mean I also would absolutely love if Sony shared more data of their sw sales.

Is Italy considered a big European market ? From what i remember they are quite a bit away from UK, Germany, France and even Spain.
Last time we got annual data (2019) more consoles and games were sold in Italy than in Spain (which makes sense as Italy has higher population).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Last time we got annual data (2019) more consoles and games were sold in Italy than in Spain (which makes sense as Italy has higher population).

I meant the overall market revenue but either way thats really impressive considering the economic struggles in italy...didnt expect them the market to be bigger than the Spain one unless thiy year was an outlier.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I guess it depends on the perspective but to me it's bit tricky if it really is just the original code being emulated on new machine. I mean Sony does now combine PS4 and PS5 sw but it's like if someone bought PS4 game on PS5 and suddenly that would count as PS5 sw sale and not PS4 sw sale. I mean I also would absolutely love if Sony shared more data of their sw sales.
Again though, Sony right now is counting emulated releases in their software numbers. So why shouldn't Nintendo?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I meant the overall market revenue but either way thats really impressive considering the economic struggles in italy...didnt expect them the market to be bigger than the Spain one unless thiy year was an outlier.
From quick look economically Italy and Spain seem to be in rather same boat. Italy has actually slightly higher per capita median income than Spain.

Again though, Sony right now is counting emulated releases in their software numbers. So why shouldn't Nintendo?

Well I don't necessarily agree with that either as to me it's slippery slope situation (especially if there is no retail release) but that is obviously just me. To me game has to be port or remaster to be counted on that platform but if it is just original code being emulated it should be counted to sw sales of that platform (with maybe asterisk)

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017

Italy was behind Spain in 2019 (console market) and in 2020 I think the gap got even wider.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Jan 20, 2019
Do you think that, with only physical games counted, the italian chart would look like the german one?

I don't think so. It's just Playstation in Italy is a cultural phenomenon. You don't say: "I play videogames" here, you say: "I play the Playstation".

There's only so much Nintendo can do in Italy.

No, what i think is this charts whould look a lot more like the NPD charts if digital was inclued.