• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised at the number of people thinking FO 76 sales are ok

They are a borderline disaster
Yeah, when I posted my comment, I only saw the placement, didn't see the numbers. With that context, of course, they are really bad.
How do these UK sales correlate to what you have seen in the US?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One that is historically very price sensitive.

The sales can go either way, and I personally don't think that the digital sales would equal 100% of the physical sales due to the game's higher price-point. You seem to think otherwise, and that's OK because neither of us have the answers yet.

I'm not saying that the game would go from a bomb to a success with digital sales, because they can't be a miracle. I'm just saying that digital-less charts for publishers that sell a lot of digital copies in a market that buy a lot of digital copies are a tad meaningless. I still believe that the game is overall a big disappointment, but I also don't think it sold less than a fifth of what Fallout 4 sold.

Digital isn't coming close to making up for that Fallout 4 drop, which almost definitely got a solid digital attach too.

obviously no one pretended that

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am not comparing it to Fallout. I am comparing the correlation between a well reviewed game and sales. Pokemon and Hitman were both well reviewed but one did not see any franchise boost. I think Dr Carol's point was that even if the game reviews well there is very little guarantee for success in today's market.

Mostly I am just being salty that it sold poorly lol.

Of course what Carol said is true, it's been true since forever, because unfortunately every game released is competing for sales and awareness with other quality or appealing titles, some new, some old, thus it's not in its own vacuum.

Hitman 2 might be a good game, but there are countless other great games it's competing with. The truth is that it simply wasn't as appealing to consumers as other titles, but that doesn't mean consumers don't want or don't value quality.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
[Week 44, 2008] FALLOUT 3 (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) - 120,000 / NEW
[Week 42, 2010] FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) - 154,000 / NEW
[Week 46, 2015] FALLOUT 4 (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) - 482,000 / NEW
[Week 46, 2018] FALLOUT 76 (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) - 85,000 / NEW

site-inutile-ahah.jpg

The number is still too high, though.
Also, poor Hitman :(

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Publishers need to make the decision to release at different times of the year. All these big games releasing side by side is going to result in a lot of good games falling to the wayside as multiple juggernauts launch one after the other.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm not saying that the game would go from a bomb to a success with digital sales, because they can't be a miracle. I'm just saying that digital-less charts for publishers that sell a lot of digital copies in a market that buy a lot of digital copies are a tad meaningless. I still believe that the game is overall a big disappointment, but I also don't think it sold less than a fifth of what Fallout 4 sold.

And all I said was, at best, digital sales have likely only put the game at par with 3 and/or NV. A 50% digital ratio, which is highly unlikely giving the £60 price tag, would still only put the game at 170,000 or 35% of FO4's week one sales.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Why would BFV numbers suffer so much?
I've not kept up with that game but it doesn't seem to have a lot of positive hype around it right now?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And all I said was, at best, digital sales have likely only put the game at par with 3 and/or NV. A 50% digital ratio, which is highly unlikely giving the £60 price tag, would still only put the game at 170,000 or 35% of FO4's week one sales.

I'd consider selling 170k pretty different from selling 85k and would be more on par with what i'd expect out of a bad online spin-off of a super popular franchise. That's all I wanted to say. It's still a disappointment in regard to what the Fallout franchise is nowadays, that's for sure.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Why would BFV numbers suffer so much?
I've not kept up with that game but it doesn't seem to have a lot of positive hype around it right now?

- Lack of content at launch
- No Battle Royale mode at launch
- Drawn out release schedule leading to a lack of initial hype
- Very similar setting and weaponry to the previous game
- Releasing right after the juggernauts of BO4 and RDR2
- Bungled and tonally inconsistent marketing campaign

I don't think it's going to flop or anything but I really don't think it's going to do as good as BF1 did. My bet would be in between Hardline and BF4.

I'd consider selling 170k pretty different from selling 85k and would be more on par with what i'd expect out of a bad online spin-off of a super popular franchise. That's all I wanted to say. It's still a disappointment in regard to what the Fallout franchise is nowadays, that's for sure.

The likelihood that FO76 has a 50% digital ratio is very low. Games nowadays usually sit at 40/60 digital/physical and personally I think the higher price compared to most other digital games will have hurt FO76's ratio quite noticeably.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Will Smash Bros Ultimate have a bigger debut then Let's Go or no?

I don't think so- just speaking from personal experience I don't see/hear Smash talked about much here. Pokemon has always been massive here and I'm open to being corrected by people with actual factual information but yeah Smash isn't quite all that in the UK I don't think. It'll still do well though- I'm expecting something in-between Odyssey & Pokemon.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Really good news for Spyro. Any platformer doing well is good news as far as I'm concerned.

Pokemon did alright. Not really looking forward to the spin and fanboy wars over the next few weeks over these sales. In my view, this first week was probably under what Nintendo wanted, especially after the Pokemon Go craze, but it's certainly not negative news.

Fallout 76 looks terrible, no surprises there. I feel like the negative PR surrounding it will make things even more dire in the weeks to come.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon did alright. Not really looking forward to the spin and fanboy wars over the next few weeks over these sales. In my view, this first week was probably under what Nintendo wanted, especially after the Pokemon Go craze, but it's certainly not negative news.
speaking of spinning things...

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how giving my view on the sales constitutes as spin. I don't have an agenda for the success of these games.
the game had an amazing launch, biggest switch launch so far, comparable to other pokemon launches on much bigger user bases, while being the most expensive pokemon game released so far, you're making it seem like a mediocre launch and below what nintendo expected. sounds like a spin to me.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most of the big Switch games being up, some massively so, is also a good sign for their software objective overall for this FY and possibly their hardware too. It'll be interesting to see the percentage increases for Smash's launch too as a comparison.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
On one hand, I don't like seeing any games 'fail', especially in today's difficult climate, but on the other hand, given the mostly negative vibes it is receiving, and the rather strange manner in which the game rolled out, I don't feel bad seeing Fallout 76 where it is.

I am absolutely chuffed to bits to see Spyro the Dragon topping the charts!

Good grief at that split!

And Pokémon Let's Go is doing very, very well for a Pokémon game here in the UK.

The sad news is seeing Hitman 2 so low down, and is just about holding onto the top ten...

Seems like both Spider-Man and Forza Horizon 4 are out of the top ten for the first time too.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
the game had an amazing launch, biggest switch launch so far, comparable to other pokemon launches on much bigger user bases, while being the most expensive pokemon game released so far, you're making it seem like a mediocre launch and below what nintendo expected. sounds like a spin to me.

Nobody doubted that this would be Switch's biggest launch. But let's look at the numbers: XY sold 124,000 which is probably slightly less than Let's Go when you factor in digital sales. Let's Go is a remake of the most well known generation coming off Pokemon Go, a mobile game that made waves across mobile and the world. It's reasonable to expect Let's Go to ride at least some of the zeitgeist from Pokemon Go, and yet its done roughly the same numbers as XY. How much of a difference would stock shortages and a slightly larger install base have made? Perhaps a moderate amount, but probably not anything too significant. Regardless, this was not the bad launch that many wanted for whatever reason. It wasn't the "amazing" success that their opponents wanted. It was OK. As I said, the final tally of 116,000 is likely under what Nintendo wanted. Until we get more information from next week and beyond, we don't have the full context to fully judge these results.

If the second/third weeks shows a strong hold, then stock shortages were a significant factor to the final number, and I will re-evaluate my opinion.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
The Spyro split is lower than I expected tbh, but then again we are talking about the second biggest UK market. The WW split will likely be alot bigger.

Good launch for Let's go.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Spyro on top is a nice thing to see, I know Let's Go combined would have been topped, but after hearing many people saying that it was going to dominate, good to see it top. Been having a blast with it all week, had to stop today to watch the MST3K Turkey Day marathon, but will jump back in tomorrow after work.

Let's Go seems to do what a pokemon game would do. No Surprises there. It looks like it will probably do standard Remake Numbers but we'll have to see other countries first before making that call. Legs are the interesting thing for it.

Sorry for not picking up Hitman, I haven't beaten the first and Spyro was my buy for the week. I'll try and grab it later on, but I do also have the first game to playthrough first.

Fallout 76 seems to be a misfire.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
how are you so sure what nintendo expected from the game in the UK? doesn't the fact that there were shortages prove that it exceeded their expectations?
I'm not. How are you so sure that this was an "amazing" launch? That's the whole point of predictions, discussions and debates. Nobody has any idea as to what Nintendo wants or is expecting.

We don't know why there were shortages. It could be unfulfilled demand or logistics issues (based of people not getting pre-orders), who knows.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
54, wow. No wonder the review copies and thus reviews, were and are going out so late.
We received the review key for Dishonored 2 two days before release. And we received the review key for Fallout 76... two days before release.

I've never seen a link between the quality of the game and when we received the review key. It changes from publisher to publisher, but not game to game.

Surprised at the number of people thinking FO 76 sales are ok

They are a borderline disaster
Why? If we forget Fallout 4 (I still don't understand why this game did so well), I think sales of Fallout 76 are good for a multiplayer spin-off compared to Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas, even without digital. And I think it will do better in the US and have good legs. It's like saying "Metal Gear Survive sold less than Metal Gear Solid V, it was a disaster." No. Fallout 76 is a spin-off, made by another studio (Bethesda Austin, formerly Battle Cry Studios), probably for a lot less money than the main games.