• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
That's really bad. I'm actually surprised there were retail copies. Expected them to go full on Gamepass with it.. :') Haha
Thats actually quite good considering the reviews the game is getting.

The again Crackdown 2 didnt set the world on fire either in terms of critical reception.

Edit:
Nvm you were right lol

Unless I'm misreading, sounds like Crackdown 3 only sold 10% of Crackdown 2 (with the other caveats mentioned in the tweet), not 110%.

Oh shit...i misread them ...

Ouch...

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The most disappointing launch of the week belongs to Microsoft's Crackdown 3, which only made No.13. The game's launch sales are barely 10 per cent of what Crackdown 2 managed in 2010. Of course, the industry was very different back then. Xbox 360 was the market leading console, digital sales were not as significant as they are today (again, only physical is counted here) and Crackdown 3 will likely have picked up a fair few users via the Xbox Game Pass subscription service (which isn't included here).

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...n-is-no-1-but-metro-exodus-is-the-real-winner

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Seems like Metro was the biggest winner (the only I'd say), +50% increase from last game.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yup.And speaking of CD3 sales,it seems to me that outside of Halo/Gears/Forza MS games are turning into Game Pass filler...and that's not good.

Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 performed way better in retail than CD3.

Sea of Thieves was even in the European list (digital + phyisical) 1-2 weeks ago.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
looks like fatigue is already setting in on far cry I don't know why they're pushing these out as much as assassin's Creed while ignoring other good IPS like watch dogs and splinter cell. The fact that splinter cell missed out this entire console gen is an absolute crime.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter if Crackdown 3 sold a tenth of its predecessor, has a horrible critical reception, with the future of the franchise possibly being completely dead in the water.

At least it's fun™.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I misread too, I thought +10% vs Crackdown 2 and not 10% of Crackdown 2 did

There are strong franchises like Forza Horizon which sells a lot of units and being on GamePass... the franchise Crackdown didn't appeal anymore

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I misread too, I thought +10% vs Crackdown 2 and not 10% of Crackdown 2 did

There are strong franchises like Forza Horizon which sells a lot of units and being on GamePass... the franchise Crackdown didn't appeal anymore
As we can see from the result of Crackdown, FH4 sold well in spite of Gamepass, not because of it.

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
I believe most of the people who play CD3 is because they have Game Pass, and with the recent campaign ($1 for 2 months) I don't find these numbers weird.

But it's sad though, the team worked hard and those results are indeed terrible.

El Manco

Oct 28, 2017
So, Far Cry New Dawn sold 86.5% less than Far Cry 5, but enough to be number 1 this week.
Far Cry 5 debut must have been really big last year, maybe bigger than Spiderman debut.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
More like any game can be saved by GP, doesn't matter how bad it gets.
So Microsoft can get away with Netflix Original quality titles and no one can complain because they still make money :p
At least that's the default excuse for all the poor games Microsoft has been shoving out the door

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
Crackdown 3 sold about 4.000 units.

Crackdown really had potential as a franchise had Microsoft managed it right and took care of it. Completely mismanaged it because of Kinect focus and lack of cohesive vision at the start of the Xbox One launch. The focus on TV and Kinect just distracted the whole gaming division when they should have been focusing on putting out an epic Crackdown like we got in that original teaser trailer

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
looks like fatigue is already setting in on far cry I don't know why they're pushing these out as much as assassin's Creed while ignoring other good IPS like watch dogs and splinter cell. The fact that splinter cell missed out this entire console gen is an absolute crime.
Watch_Dogs 2 was in 2016. Watch_Dogs is more or less modern day Assassin's Creed under a different brand. Watch_Dogs 3 is almost certainly releasing this year. That's a standard 3-4 year deveopment cycle. Another Splinter Cell is in development. They put Splinter Cell on ice for several years because Blacklist underperformed pretty badly. If people bought Splinter Cell games, they'd make more of them.

There was a four year gap between Far Cry 4 and Far Cry 5. In between, they had the experimental spinoff Far Cry Primal. Sold much worse than the other games, but become a cult favorite. The next mainline Far Cry will probably arrive in 2021 or 2022. New Dawn is the standalone expansion to Far Cry 5. Much lower budget, much lower expectations. Never forget that the reason Rockstar stopped making singleplayer DLC was because sales were disappointing. These kind of games are a fickle sell. Sometimes they sell well, sometimes they sell soft.

IIRC, Dishonored: Death of the Outsider sold around 30k in its first week at UK retail. Similar ballpark to New Dawn. These kind of standalone expansions typically sell far worse than the main game. But they sell better than story DLC attached to the base game. And if you sell them for $40USD the margins are way better. This is a game designed for people who finished Far Cry 5 and want to know what happens next. Which is less than 50% of players at best.

Far Cry 5 was one of the best selling games of 2018. It still continues to sell rather well. However, some of its design choices were very divisive. The resistance meter and abduction system, for example. The ending caused widespread anger and outrage. Fantastic ending, but some people don't take kindly to that kind of spit in the face. New Dawn solves a number of design problems with Far Cry 5 (although a lot of people seem unaware of this with heaps of people asking, "Do you still get abducted"?), while being based on an ending that royally pissed of a couple of million players to the point they wanted nothing to do with Far Cry anymore. It was like Mass Effect 3 but with with 10x the moral indignation.

Far Cry as a series has created expectations of being super bloated and 50+ hours long. New Dawn is much shorter. 20-ish hours for 40 dollars is unacceptable for a lot of Ubisoft fans. When the game gets discounts it'll likely pick up in sales. When they start bundling FC5 and New Dawn together, it'll sell more copies. Ubisoft seem quite adept at handling soft launches.

I do wonder whether giving the game to people who had the Season Pass, Uncharted The Lost Legacy-style might have smoothed over the "How dare you sell me the game's ending as a standalone expansion" outrage.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Crackdown really had potential as a franchise had Microsoft managed it right and took care of it. Completely mismanaged it because of Kinect focus and lack of cohesive vision at the start of the Xbox One launch. The focus on TV and Kinect just distracted the whole gaming division when they should have been focusing on putting out an epic Crackdown like we got in that original teaser trailer
Nah, Crackdown was mismanaged long before the Kinect and XB1 launch, when Microsoft sat on the original release and by the time they wanted a sequel, Realtime Worlds had already moved onto their next project. As a result, Microsoft ended up going with a low budget sequel by a new start up studio, Ruffian. Besides, I wouldn't blame Crackdown 3 on the Kinect or TV stuff, since I don't think they were ever part of Crackdown 3. "The power of the cloud" was Crackdown 3's thing.

Crackdown 3 just seems like a mess that should've been cancelled years ago or at the very least a budget title. It really seems like a Duke Nukem Forever type scenario where Sumo picked up a disjointed mess created by a half dozen different studios and were somehow expected to turn it into a quality modern open world game (a genre they don't really have much experience in). Trying to shape that into a game that competed with all the other amazing open world games out there who had coherent visions from beginning till end seems like a near impossible task.