• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...is_handling_the_switch_port_of_wolfenstein_ii
Panic Button is the studio behind the excellent Switch versions of DOOM and Rocket League - two amazing ports which prove that the company is becoming something of an expert when it comes to getting the most out of Nintendo's hybrid system.

There's more good news to report, as it has been confirmed that Panic Button is handling the Switch version of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus.

Speaking at the Fun & Serious Game Festival in Bilbao, Machine Games' narrative designer Tommy Tordsson Bjork and senior game designer Andreas Öjerfors confirmed the news. "That's a collaboration with a different studio that we're working together with," said Öjerfors. "It's the same as the Doom studio," added Bjork.

Öjerfors then said: "They're experts at the Switch and now they're experts with the [id Tech 6] engine so we work with them, and the Doom version turned out to be really kick-ass on the Switch so I think Wolfenstein will be the same." Bjork then stated that "it's going to be as good".

It would seem that Wolfenstein II's creators are more than happy with Panic Button being involved, which bodes well for Switch players.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little puzzled by some of the praise this studio is getting for Rocket League and Doom. "Excellent Switch versions"?

I've seen lots of complaints about controls that don't feel right, extremely low resolutions, and framerate troubles. They even patched Rocket League this past week to tweak the analog stick to make it feel better. The foundational control method of the game getting post launch adjustments.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Really curious to see what sacrifices they're going to make to get Wolfenstein 2 running well. It's a more demanding game than DOOM, that's for sure.

ITSMILNER

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still hoping they bring the first one over as well, never played the series so would like to own them both on Switch

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They did a solid job on DOOM. Wondering how they'll pull this port off

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this turns out well. Wolfenstein clearly looks more involved then DOOM and Rocket League. Here's hoping the experiences with those two games leads to an even better port this time around.

Please add gyro aiming if possible.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I'm pretty excited to see how this goes. I feel like 30fps will be less of a sacrifice for Wolfenstein than it was for Doom.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a little puzzled by some of the praise this studio is getting for Rocket League and Doom. "Excellent Switch versions"?

Because some people are able to take into account the device they got the game running on and factor that into their opinion of a version being excellent under those circumstances

I have both Doom and Rocket League running on my handheld device and no matter the compromises to achieve it, they are both excellent ports

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

I've seen lots of complaints about controls that don't feel right, extremely low resolutions, and framerate troubles. They even patched Rocket League this past week to tweak the analog stick to make it feel better. The foundational control method of the game getting post launch adjustments.

I don't know how any other studio would do a ton better getting the performance issues ironed out. It's the weak Switch hardware that's the culprit.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Because some people are able to take into account the device they got the game running on and factor that into their opinion of a version being excellent under those circumstances

I have both Doom and Rocket League running on my handheld device and no matter the compromises to achieve it, they are both excellent ports
This. One has to be aware and accepting of the power of the Switch. The size of the device compared to that of a PS4, XBO, and PC. Then factor how said games (not at all designed, considered or tailor made for the Switch) are running on the device. This isn't making excuses but looking at reality of the overall situation. Many ports will have compromises (not all) as said. It's a matter of what one gets as a result of those compromises. Some things are acceptable and other are not.

Example of what is not at all acceptable is WWE 2K18. The way that game runs is horrible and in no way shape or form is the Switch responsible.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No offence to Panic Button, but why can't id handle those ports directly?

Why do those Switch versions always have to be outsourced? It doesn't feel like those companies are treating the Switch as anything more than an afterthought.

(Rocket League is an indie game so I'm not counting this one)

MrHeisenbird

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
To be blunt, it still confuses me that they are still going through with this.

Wolfenstein's sales and popularity are leagues below Doom. How much has Doom sold on Switch in the first place?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
When I heard that Wolf2 and Doom weren't concurrent releases, I had assumed this would be the case.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i didnt like the job they did with doom and rocket league, so id rather have someone else working on it, possibly the team behind the game but it is what it is. a cheap-ish port

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No shit.

If they port an id Tech 6 game, they will also port all future id Tech 6 games.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine how bad this will look in portable mode. The PC version is more demanding than Doom was and is still full of technical issues needing to be addressed.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
They did great with DOOM, Rocket League is a really solid port, I will probably double dip on Wolfenstein to both support Bethesda and because I can trust Panic Button now for day 1 goodness.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet

They basically ported OoT to the SNES.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm fully capable of taking the Switch hardware into account here.

Doom has frame pacing issues that have nothing to do with the hardware. That's just programming slop.

I've seen many complaints about the controls feeling wrong in both games. It sounds like the analog sticks were not properly tuned. They even made a big adjustment to Rocket League to address complaints last week, essentially admitting they got a key foundational aspect of the game wrong on their first go.

Some people seem to think just merely getting the game on Switch is worthy of praise. I disagree. You can make sacrifices to get the game on Switch and also deliver a polished game in the process.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DOOM is a cheap-ish port?

Okay.

i mean, i bought the game -and then proceeded to sell it asap - and it was a blurry mess. if thats the best the switch can do might was well not port the game.

or you know, maybe they had to port it fast, maybe they havent the technical expertise necessary to do a better job. it seems cheap to me, or at least, a bad port

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fully capable of taking the Switch hardware into account here.

Doom has frame pacing issues that have nothing to do with the hardware. That's just programming slop.

I've seen many complaints about the controls feeling wrong in both games. It sounds like the analog sticks were not properly tuned. They even made a big adjustment to Rocket League to address last week, essentially admitting they got a key foundational aspect of the game wrong on their first go.

Some people seem to think just merely getting the game on Switch is worthy of praise. I disagree. You can make sacrifices to get the game on Switch and also deliver s polished version in the process.

Agreed.

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i mean, i bought the game -and then proceeded to sell it asap - and it was a blurry mess. if thats the best the switch can do might was well not port the game.

or you know, maybe they had to port it fast, maybe they havent the technical expertise necessary to do a better job. it seems cheap to me, or at least, a bad port

It will only get better, now they are familiar with the engine.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
To be blunt, it still confuses me that they are still going through with this.

Wolfenstein's sales and popularity are leagues below Doom. How much has Doom sold on Switch in the first place?
Based on the "Best Sellers" list Nintendo puts out on the Switch eShop, I'd say pretty darn good. It managed to cling to the list for about 3 weeks, outselling lots of big hitters for a while. It certainly sold better than I had imagined. Dunno about physical though.

Oct 26, 2017
I hope the added experience Panic Button gains from this can be retroactively used to patch up DOOM as well. Surely another year on id Tech 6 will gain Panic Button a deeper understanding on what makes it tick and can give them ideas on how to refine DOOM. Did they ever confirm that DOOM was going to get patched at any point? Sounds like it has audio issues among other things, but I hope they can try to get the average resolution higher and iron out any bugs with zero compromises (*cough*rocketleague*cough*).

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't know about Rocket League, but I loved Doom. Whatever sacrifices were made were worth it. Besides, even with the cutbacks, it's still one of the very best-looking games on the system.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Good...doom and rocket league are two of my favorite switch games.

If wolf 2 is ported as good as the other two games I'm in day 1

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked what they did with DOOM.

Still a bit cautious since Wolfie seems to be bigger in scale, but I have good hope that they'll manage to do something good.

Hopefully they manage to put the whole game on the cart, too, or else I'm out.

One can only do so much when the platform is less than a third of the power of a PS4.

Maybe this time it will be better since they're used with the hardware, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I wouldn't call it a bad port though, more like a best effort with what they could push.

Last edited:

DanChop12

Oct 25, 2017
User warned for: drive-by post, console war bait.
Some people seem to think just merely getting the game on Switch is worthy of praise. I disagree. You can make sacrifices to get the game on Switch and also deliver a polished game in the process.

doom_0.jpg

Grandpa_Pixel

Nov 10, 2017
United Kingdom
I won't be getting Wolfenstein 2, mainly as it is not my sort of game but DOOM was excellent and I can not wait for Rocket League's port to get a retail release.

Panic Button have done outstanding work and as they get used to the hardware and porting, they will be able to produce far more power for less. Wolfenstein 2 is at risk of being too much too early but if it succeeds, I have a strong feeling none of Bethesda's library will be unreachable for them in regards to porting. Fingers crossed people. If this goes well we could easily see the likes of Fallout and other titles coming to the Switch.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Well its not 60fps so it should look better than Rocket League at least. If that's what a good port looks like I'd really hate to see a bad one.