How are feeling about TOK?

• I need this game NOW. Day 1.

• The game looks great, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

• I am mostly worried and not impressed. Will wait for reviews.

• This is not what I wanted. I'm not getting this game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
It's fine for people to be disappointed with a direction shift from a pure RPG to something more experimental. Remarking that people are simply being stubborn is silly, imagine if your favorite series did a similar genre switch.

That said, eventually you just have to accept this is what IS wants to do with the series, and at some point you just gotta roll with it and see what they've got cooking. To act like this game looks bad is even sillier than the guys who say you're being stubborn.
In fairness, the genre switch was about 15 years ago

yoonshik

Oct 26, 2017
outputf29cc350d81f4fa7.gif

outputdb137843b632bab9.gif

outputb00f046c4b03bfe7.gif

outputc0e7ccb829437b70.gif

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
It's fine for people to be disappointed with a direction shift from a pure RPG to something more experimental. Remarking that people are simply being stubborn is silly, imagine if your favorite series did a similar genre switch.

That said, eventually you just have to accept this is what IS wants to do with the series, and at some point you just gotta roll with it and see what they've got cooking. To act like this game looks bad is even sillier than the guys who say you're being stubborn.

But no one is saying that the game looks bad. It looks charming and fun, but it is disappointing to see that they're never going to go back to the old style and mechanics at this point. After Odyssey tried the 64 and Sunshine style again I had some hope but oh well

Looks like you'll get Kamek and Bowser Jr as partners at some point, which is cool

I like that Kamek has become a recurring character at least. Unless he's a generic magikoopa lol

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
The Metroid tease is clearly showing that Metroid Prime 4 is going to be a VR game with the Samus helmet as a VR headset. All the action happens right in your own personal visor.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
But no one is saying that the game looks bad. It looks charming and fun, but it is disappointing to see that they're never going to go back to the old style and mechanics at this point. After Odyssey tried the 64 and Sunshine style again I had some hope but oh well
Never say never.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
PM/TTYD is all that will ever matter, if this doesn't follow winning formula enough I can disregard it like Sticker Star 🤢

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Did I watch a different trailer to the rest of you? For some reason I've never gotten around to playing any of the Paper Mario games, but this looks amazing and I'll be buying it for sure.

That would be why lol. Most people who played the last two games are going to be skeptical of this one, since the battle systems in those games were awful.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't an excuse. Imagine they turn the next three mainline Mario games into entries that have zero platforming. Would you still act surprised that fans of 3D Mario games are complaining and want a game with something as crazy as platforming in a series of games that have come to be know for platforming?

It couldn't be more obvious as to why people want a sequel to TTYD.
You a fan of Yakuza by any chance?

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I wonder if Luigi is going to have a big role in this game.

He shows up in the beggining so I hope he does more than just bring Mario to the castle.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really nice! Never really played any of the Paper Mario games but I'm eager for a big new Switch game. I'll probably pick this up.

Can't believe it's only two months away. I'm guessing a direct got scrapped at some point as things shifted around due to the pandemic.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Still a masterstroke, those stinkin' badges. Hollow Knight served as one big reminder of how well TTYD perfected it as a form of customization, and how underused the format is as a collectible, a play-style preference, and strategic decision rolled into one.
it wasn't dated or old, but they dropped it...while simultaneously it was added to M&L series more.
It involves pretty simple concepts of limited resource, and altering that resource to affect your playstyle in a meaningful and immediately accessible way. boom, that's it.
oh well

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be real here, even if the game is an RPG, those elements will almost surely be barebones, embrace your quirky adventure game overlords with a side of timed hits related content.

Whoever said this was a return to form has some explaining to do

this looks like super paper Mario 2 😳😳😳
If the trailer was 60% excess dialogue and 40% backtracking maybe, we'd need at least a 10 minute overview to confirm

Now see what those leakers actually meant is that by the end of the game all the origami characters will be turned back to their normal paper form, there were no lies here friendo!

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I missed Color Splash but have genuinely liked all of the Paper Mario games including SPM (really really liked SPM) and Sticker Star so I'll be grabbing this regardless of the style. I hope they port over Color Splash at some point.

Trailer was fun!

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
Either way the game looks interesting. More excited for this than I was for Color Splash. The writing seems top-tier, but I will hold out for more info on the battle mechanics and whatnot.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a return to form regardless of what people wanted it to be. It doesn't have stickers/cards/consumable based battle system. It has partners back. It has a public back. It doesn't have a level select but explorable world again. It has an action command battle system again.

Being a return to form never meant for everything to be the same again. It's something new while objectively being closer to the first few games than the post-SS games. Being a return to form never meant that you couldnt change stuff.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, the game looks gorgeous, but I'm mixed as fuck on this.

The partners are still generic, what the hell? Why is it so hard to have unique partners like the first two games? Only silver lining here is that Bowser and Bowser Jr. seem to be helping you as well.

And then of course, the battle system. I'll wait for more info, but I dunno, it didn't make for a good first impression.

At the end of the day, I just want a good Paper Mario game. Clearly this isn't the real return to form the rumors were hyping it up to be, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic against my better judgement lol

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Usually I'm against all that remaster/remake begging going on in our current times. But in this case, fuck it. Please just remake the N64 and GCN titles and screw everything else still happening in this series. The graphic quality is high but I can't deal with the New Mario Bros. art direction over proper unique characters anymore, nor the fake RPG battles.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested. I'm not a fan of normal turn-based battles, but this looks like it might make them fun.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
The world design and art direction looks really nice as always but I just don't understand why they would go for the sticker/card based combat system for a 3rd game in a row? They must know its by far the biggest criticism of their last few games

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Wow... Some of the comments here are ridiculous, and all based on a genre tag and a two minute video? Sweet god. Why don't you wait for more details before immediately grabbing your pitchforks? It looks pretty solid to me so far, but we obviously need more details on some of the mechanics. It's a nice little surprise to drop out of nowhere though and I'm glad they finally showed something new. FINALLY.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I feel sorry for the TTYD fans, its been long enough to where there are bunches of people who do not get why folks like that game so much. And in the current time we are in there are bunches of folks who consider any type of criticism lobbed at corperation they happen to be fond of bad. So they are in this position where less and less people understand and no one wants to talk.

Onto the game itself? Aesthetically looks neat. I dunno what the gameplay is though. My favorite paper mario is super. I hope it's like that

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
At this point its just time for me to accept PM won't be returning to the style of the first couple, but thats ok. These can be great in their own right, and it looks good.

People are saying if you want TTYD then check out Bug Fables, so I'll do that.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks gorgeous and seems to have an interesting premise - I'm all in! Don't really care if it's an RPG personally.

It's also so neat to have games announced so close to their release dates.