• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Very happy with everything I'm seeing! After what they did with Sunshine I was only ever expecting an HD port, but they knocked this one out of the park

only real complaint is the performance. Here's hoping Nintendo's got some next-gen patches locked and loaded for Switch 2
This game might not have a lot of paper puns but what this trailer reminded me is that it still has plenty of paper related shenanigans. It definitely more than the often touted "Story RPG that happens to be paper".
Yeah, It was a big part of the appeal as a kid. Was always curious to see what the next paper form would be

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GVG video said that when they asked nintendo about the difficulty the rep told them it was unchanged. There's some new npcs that help with sidequests or let you do battle prompt training with them if you so choose, but that it it seems

Glad to hear it is at least the same given Nintendo doesn't really do difficulty options I don't think

I'm grown now anyways, the final boss can't hurt me

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Only real complaint is the performance. Here's hoping Nintendo's got some next-gen patches locked and loaded for Switch 2

I didn't notice the 30fps at all. The quicktime events still feel good, and framerate is not really an issue in other areas as this isn't exactly an action game where every frame counts. Perhaps most importantly, it seems to be a very consistent 30fps. Didn't detect any slowdown as in a lot of other late-era Switch releases.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse SƩrƩnissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
this is very good, but unfortunately it doesn't address the backtracking that occurs inside a given chapter. There are multiple instances where the player is exploring the overworld or a dungeon, and the game forces you to go back to the chapter town for dialogue, before sending you back to exactly where you were in the overworld. IIRC, the game does this once if not twice around the time when you recruit Admiral Bobbery.

I'm really hoping that this is fixed, but unfortunately, I don't think it will. Such changes probably outscopes the work done with this game.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
So excited for this. They need to do more Gamecube remasters. Metroid Prime was great. Do parts 2 and 3. And also:

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (and Radiant Dawn)
Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess
Pokemon Colleseum and Gale of Darkness

I would buy all of those. Really wish this was priced at $40 like Metroid Prime was, though.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
We're going from one main battle theme that was just okay to having lots of remixed battle themes for presumably all eight chapters. Plus it looks gorgeous

The GOAT can't stop winning

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
this is very good, but unfortunately it doesn't address the backtracking that occurs inside a given chapter. There are multiple instances where the player is exploring the overworld or a dungeon, and the game forces you to go back to the chapter town for dialogue, before sending you back to exactly where you were in the overworld. IIRC, the game does this once if not twice around the time when you recruit Admiral Bobbery.

I'm really hoping that this is fixed, but unfortunately, I don't think it will. Such changes probably outscopes the work done with this game.

This isn't fixed in the early chapters I can comment on. It's too deeply built into the game design I'm guessing (they game would be half as long without it). I was feeling that back and forth grind a bit as early as Chapter 1.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I still haven't finished Super Mario RPG for the Switch, so I gotta knock that out first.

Any reason they went straight to TTYD and skipped the original Paper Mario, as far as remakes/rereleases?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't finished Super Mario RPG for the Switch, so I gotta knock that out first.

Any reason they went straight to TTYD and skipped the original Paper Mario, as far as remakes/rereleases?

TTYD is the more popular/beloved game + PM64 is also already available through their subscription service I guess

Elephox

Jun 25, 2023
What TTYD needs is warp pipes between areas of the world itself rather than an easier warp access between towns, which already existed. This change will make sidequests and the General White portion a bit more readily accessible to do, but it's not going to improve the absolute tedium of stuff like Twilight Town.

The problem with removing the backtracking is that there wouldn't be any game left.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse SƩrƩnissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TTYD is the more popular/beloved game + PM64 is also already available through their subscription service I guess
yeah, this. TTYD has been stuck on the gamecube forever, while PM64 has been available through the eShop since the Wii U I think.

I'm really hoping that PM64 gets the same treatment though. It's a fantastic game. Hopefully it gets some of the TTYD features as well, such as the theatre + audience design in battles.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
We're going from one main battle theme that was just okay to having lots of remixed battle themes for presumably all eight chapters. Plus it looks gorgeous

Maybe even more than that, bc Hooktail Castle has its own arrangement as well. Plus all-new themes such as for the partners. Can't wait for the game!

Oct 27, 2017

I'd say it's also because unlike 64 games, Gamecube games aren't available on NSO (and I doubt they intend to make them available that way in the near future anyway). It's certainly also one of the most popular games in the series and also, PM 64 has been more available in previous consoles as well (Wii and Wii U VC if I'm not mistaken).

Oct 28, 2017
I just don't get the 30fps. Maybe someone can explain the technical limits better but I never viewed PM as graphical showcases.

Anyway as long as PM 64 gets a proper remaster :P

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
Backtracking issues persisting aside, this is looking like the game I loved growing up and currently greatly enjoy, but better. In.

Seriously, that arranged soundtrack by itself is forcing a replay out of me by itself. Seems like even dungeon areas will get their own version of the battle theme if Hooktail Castle is any indication. One of my favorite aspects of TOK, glad it's here.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Things I've noticed from the preview videos going out today:

-The badge list is 86 total, which is 85 from the original game + Nostalgic Tunes - looks like no changes here
-Item inventory space is now 15 instead of 10 (will Strange Sack make it 30?)
-Poison bingoes are nerfed - take 1/3 of your stats away instead of 1/2. Audience still empties out

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I really liked TTYD when I originally played through it on GameCube like 20 years ago. Thinking of playing through the first one on NSO since it's the only good Paper Mario game that I never played through (never going to bother with the sticker duology) but hoping it is different enough that I don't burn out. I imagine it may be a harder game to return to after TTYD remake.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse SƩrƩnissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

New battle tracks to fit the chapters goes crazy. Probably one of my favorite things in RPGs
wait, was this in the trailer? Where did you get this information?

The problem with removing the backtracking is that there wouldn't be any game left.
I think that this is overstated. PM64 didn't really have backtracking like this inside its chapters and it didn't feel like half a game; it was better for it.

I think that TTYD would also benefit from being redesigned slightly in this way.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Backtracking will be addressed - there is a new central hub room (like Origami King) where every chapter unlocks a new shortcut pipe, all in one place. And there is an extra pipe going right to Rogueport Town Center.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTnX8KtICnQ&t=11m35s

image.png

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get the 30fps. Maybe someone can explain the technical limits better but I never viewed PM as graphical showcases.

Anyway as long as PM 64 gets a proper remaster :P
As someone that also doesn't care that much, fps is more than just looking nice it can also just make a game feel nicer to play (smoother and inputs are read faster), it's why Nintendo tries to ensure their platformers and faster paced games hit 60 fps. I generally get used to it and don't care much but there are definite improvements framerate can have to even less graphically impressive games.

Roliq

ā–² Legend ā–²
Sep 23, 2018
So lame that nothing new is there

Edit: at least the backtracking will suck less

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I might get this eventually (the updated soundtrack with multiple arrangements of the battle theme is definitely nice) but the part of the trailer talking about the battles is just reminding me of how I did not like the dumb theater gimmick at all

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Central hub of pipes is nice but yeah, won't really fix the crux of the backtracking issues within chapters. Though for me I only ever really feel in in chapter 2 and 4.

I really liked TTYD when I originally played through it on GameCube like 20 years ago. Thinking of playing through the first one on NSO since it's the only good Paper Mario game that I never played through (never going to bother with the sticker duology) but hoping it is different enough that I don't burn out. I imagine it may be a harder game to return to after TTYD remake.

I've been replaying it again and it still holds up perfectly fine, it's pretty timeless for an N64 game due to the style. The only part that might be rough going back are the more simplistic combat, but it's still solid within the game itself, just not as fleshed out with options and partner HP.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I didn't notice the 30fps at all. The quicktime events still feel good, and framerate is not really an issue in other areas as this isn't exactly an action game where every frame counts. Perhaps most importantly, it seems to be a very consistent 30fps. Didn't detect any slowdown as in a lot of other late-era Switch releases.
This is good to hear! I'm sure it won't take long to adjust
I'm still early in my PM64 playthrough but I'd def recommend playing it before. Holds up well, but I can see someone enjoying it less coming fresh off the TTYD remake

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The combat system is a total downgrade, but it holds up better than probably most old games so go for it IMO

Elephox

Jun 25, 2023
I think that this is overstated. PM64 didn't really have backtracking like this inside its chapters and it didn't feel like half a game; it was better for it.

I think that TTYD would also benefit from being redesigned slightly in this way.

Because PM64 actually has the content to feel like a full game. The Twilight Town chapter of TTYD would legitimately be like 30 minutes if they cut the backtracking.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I'll probably pick this up for my wife as she hasn't played it yet but loved the 3DS and Switch games.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse SƩrƩnissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because PM64 actually has the content to feel like a full game. The Twilight Town chapter of TTYD would legitimately be like 30 minutes if they cut the backtracking.
I think the twilight town backtracking is integral to the narrative occuring there so I understand it. But the other ones, such as what happens when you get Bobbery, isn't integral and just gets annoying. The game would be better with some of these parts streamlined.

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
The chapter backtracking isn't TOO bad (Twilight Town to Creepy Steeple takes like 2 or 3 minutes tops) but the sidequest backtracking really started to wear me down on my last playthrough. None of it is really bad in isolation until it builds up. It's why I try to get everything at Creepy Steeple on my first visit (including all necessary Golden Leafs) so I don't have to trek back and forth outside of Chapter 4.

I'd just give the player a fast travel pipe as a key item so they can use it anywhere at anytime. (And lock areas off during certain plot moments like Rogueport for Chapter 4/5/6). And let us do multiple troubles at once!

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
god just watching that trailer truly highlights what a step above TTYD is above the new Paper Mario games in terms of creativity. Look at all those distinct character designs and crazy environments. Even the builds you can do with badges is tiers above, say, Origami King (which is still a good game btw!).

TTYD backtracking is overblown and not a big deal at all

never was