Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope they keep Peach's dialogue intact. The first three Paper Mario games give her the best writing across all her appearances.

Mb7GyYg.png

CLg0CWW.png

FSqR7mI.png
Yeah I liked the recent paper Mario games but I really miss how IS handled her in the first 3 games.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Huh, they changed the dialogue for the Goombella catcalling scene. Don't have the footage on-hand, but here's a script comparison:

Original:

New:

Kinda mixed on this one -- it's obviously not a big deal and it works fine for what it is, but's like the SpongeBob panty raid episode for me where they take issue with the mere presence of inappropriate material (in this case, catcalling) regardless if the subject material frames it as wrong or not. (As seen sbove, Goombella did call them out and they get their asses handed to them anyway.)

Gotta admit, I kinda like the new dialogue more. The original was just some pretty basic cat-calling jibs (which is kinda funny when it's aimed at a goomba), but the "OoOoO I can breath CLEAN AIR" is really funny.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The Goomba's line is funnier, but the other lines don't seem as good IMO. I'm guessing they changed it so the Goombas more directly pick a fight with Mario rather than Goombella. I kinda prefer the original for the novelty of Mario going into a sewer, and having Goombas immediately target someone that isn't him. It's a nice little moment that conveys how different the land is from the Mushroom Kingdom, and how Mario isn't the centre of the universe.

Apart from removing the catcalling, I've noticed they seem to be minimising the use of gendered language in general. Lord Crump doesn't call Goombella "girl" anymore, and the quiz Thwomp no longer refers to the audience as "ladies and germs".

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
Yeah I liked the recent paper Mario games but I really miss how IS handled her in the first 3 games.
I remember Miyamoto mentioning about how pleased he was to finally make her the 'strong, powerful princess' in the Super Mario Bros movie, and I'm like "You had this! You literally had this in Paper Mario!". Then New Super Mario Bros had her going back to hosting with cake and tea and getting kidnapped. I know one is a mainline series and the other is an off-shoot of the series, but it felt like such a huge regression.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I loved this game on GC. I always thought the following was hilarious.

When you came back from a level Luigi was there and he'd also done an adventure, but it was rubbish in comparison to what you'd just experienced. The writing was great πŸ˜…

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The Goomba dialogue change is a bit lame, but its replacement isn't horrible, and ultimately a very tiny blight.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone tell an uninitiated why this game is so well-liked by everyone ?
I need some nintendo game in my life rn and I'm not sure between SM RPG and TTYD

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Can someone tell an uninitiated why this game is so well-liked by everyone ?
I need some nintendo game in my life rn and I'm not sure between SM RPG and TTYD
You can't go wrong with either, but the former is a very classic take on SNES RPGs (with a Mario flair) while the latter takes cues from more modern (at the time) design paradigms.

Try out Paper Mario 64 since it's the precursor to TTYD and serves as a bridge between the two games.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I gotta ask... great weiting compared to other mario games or simply great writing?
Out of those two TTYD assumes you've played an RPG before.
Oh! Does it play like mario and luigi superstar saga btw ?
You can't go wrong with either, but the former is a very classic take on SNES RPGs (with a Mario flair) while the latter takes cues from more modern (at the time) design paradigms.

Try out Paper Mario 64 since it's the precursor to TTYD and serves as a bridge between the two games.
Hmmmm on one hand I'd like to say I'll just play all 3, but that probably will never happen tbh

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I gotta ask... great weiting compared to other mario games or simply great writing?
Great writing in the sense that it's clever, charming and funny. Don't go in expecting a mindblowing serious story or anything though. Though Mario RPGs do get a *bit* darker than Mario proper does.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Great writing in the sense that it's clever, charming and funny. Don't go in expecting a mindblowing serious story or anything though. Though Mario RPGs do get a *bit* darker than Mario proper does.
Doesn't have to be dark to be a good story !
Alright, I'll wait for reviews and I'll decide, but TTYD seems interesting :)

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't have to be dark to be a good story !
Alright, I'll wait for reviews and I'll decide, but TTYD seems interesting :)
You may get differing opinions, but as someone who played SMRPG for the first time with the remake, it shocked me at how barebones it felt. Those bones are great, don't get me wrong, but TTYD just has a lot more meat to it and I think you'd come away finding it the more memorable game in terms of story and characters. Things really didn't have a lot of time to breathe in SMRPG, I found.

Julia Pseudo

Jun 11, 2023
Wonder how many people know that these sprites were unused/cut in TTYD? Funnily enough, Lady Bow was the only one that made it into the actual game. Still holding out hope that they add the 64 partners to the overworld somewhere, or hear me out, utilize them in some post-game content! (I'm coping)

Goombario_TTYD_unused.png
93px-Kooper_TTYD_unused.png
Bombette_TTYD.png
120px-Watt_TTYD_unused.png
120px-Sushie_TTYD_unused.png
93px-Lakilester_TTYD_unused.png

List of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door pre-release and unused content

This is a list of pre-release and unused content for the game Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.
Actually, Parakarry appears as well, in the opening cutscene!

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
Yeah, SMRPG can easily be beaten in a week, so it's a good time to check it out prior to TTYD. It does feel a little at times like a Final Fantasy game with a Mario skin over it, but it's great fun.

Paper Mario 64 is slightly longer, but again you can beat it in a week if you push for it.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Actually, speaking of cut content, I recently found out that they originally intended for Mario to go back around the globe re-recruiting his partners in the postgame. There's unused dialogue written for each encounter. I get why they'd nix that idea but I would've liked that, esp. since you can pipe over to them with ease.

inkblot

Mar 27, 2024
yooooo I wonder if the Pit of 100 Trials is going to have custom battle music πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
yooooo I wonder if the Pit of 100 Trials is going to have custom battle music πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€
oh it's gotta. And now that we know they are going hard with the OST, I'm wondering if they'll take other opportunities to vary up the music more - Hooktail, Gloomtail and Bonetail having unique versions of the same theme. Magnus 1 & 2.

inkblot

Mar 27, 2024
oh it's gotta. And now that we know they are going hard with the OST, I'm wondering if they'll take other opportunities to vary up the music more - Hooktail, Gloomtail and Bonetail having unique versions of the same theme. Magnus 1 & 2.

Oh that's so true, those will def have variants, so excited!

Pit of 100 Trials seems so silly but it's one of my favorite parts of the game because of how tense and moody it feels to be in the later parts of the Trial trying to survive!

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Wonder how many people know that these sprites were unused/cut in TTYD? Funnily enough, Lady Bow was the only one that made it into the actual game. Still holding out hope that they add the 64 partners to the overworld somewhere, or hear me out, utilize them in some post-game content! (I'm coping)

Goombario_TTYD_unused.png
93px-Kooper_TTYD_unused.png
Bombette_TTYD.png
120px-Watt_TTYD_unused.png
120px-Sushie_TTYD_unused.png
93px-Lakilester_TTYD_unused.png

List of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door pre-release and unused content

This is a list of pre-release and unused content for the game Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.
With all the little changes added to this remake I wouldn't be surprised at this point ngl

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Oooh

Maybe they'll give the Sirens + Doopliss battle it's own music that's a mashup of both their themes

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's so true, those will def have variants, so excited!

Pit of 100 Trials seems so silly but it's one of my favorite parts of the game because of how tense and moody it feels to be in the later parts of the Trial trying to survive!
Same. The pits in TTYD and SPM are defining childhood gaming moments. Honestly even apart from the battle theme, it'd be cool if the area theme itself changed (possibly got more dissonant/creepy?) as you got lower.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I don't know how well known this is, but you can talk to Luigi's "partners" he brings along to tell you about his adventures and they have some of the funniest dialogue in the game lol

Chaotix12345

Apr 3, 2023
One change that I found interesting is that Hooktail is now explicitly referred to as female by everyone, rather than all the Petalburg villagers referring to her by "he/him" or "it" and saving the reveal of her true nature for when you fight her sibling as a...gag, I guess? Seems there'll be no dragon misgendering this time around, though.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how well known this is, but you can talk to Luigi's "partners" he brings along to tell you about his adventures and they have some of the funniest dialogue in the game lol

That reminds me, considering how they seem to be redoing the translation that means they'll probably fix Luigi's story so it's obvious that his whole journey is basically to defeat King Goomba, aka the tutorial boss from the first Paper Mario lmao.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
One change that I found interesting is that Hooktail is now explicitly referred to as female by everyone, rather than all the Petalburg villagers referring to her by "he/him" or "it" and saving the reveal of her true nature for when you fight her sibling as a...gag, I guess? Seems there'll be no dragon misgendering this time around, though.
This is good tbh. Was just a joke as misgendering.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I keep forgetting that there's an entire generation of people that never had the chance to play this game and had to listen to us constantly raving about it.

Hopefully they'll enjoy it as much as we did back in the day.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
That reminds me, considering how they seem to be redoing the translation that means they'll probably fix Luigi's story so it's obvious that his whole journey is basically to defeat King Goomba, aka the tutorial boss from the first Paper Mario lmao.
We-ve-Played-Paper-Mario-The-Thousand-Year-Door-on-Switch-Is-It-Any-Good-1-28-screenshot.png

This one seems to have gotten away from them. The "Chestnut King" exists in fans' imagination (there's plenty of fanart out there theorizing what he looks like) and they've seemingly preserved it as a result. It'd be great if they addressed this with an extra bit of dialogue from one of his partners or after his story is wrapped.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
We-ve-Played-Paper-Mario-The-Thousand-Year-Door-on-Switch-Is-It-Any-Good-1-28-screenshot.png

This one seems to have gotten away from them. The "Chestnut King" exists in fans' imagination (there's plenty of fanart out there theorizing what he looks like) and they've seemingly preserved it as a result. It'd be great if they addressed this with an extra bit of dialogue from one of his partners or after his story is wrapped.
Wait, why do people think "Chestnut King" is a translation error? Is it because the original Japanese script specifically mentions the Goomba King from PM64?

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, why do people think "Chestnut King" is a translation error? Is it because the original Japanese script specifically mentions the Goomba King from PM64?
He's named "Goomba King" in all other languages. It's possible the gag is difficult to translate, though, as the story includes so many food references.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017

Short version is Goomba's are called Kuribo in JP, Kuri referring to chestnuts, and King Goomba is Kuri King. For whatever reason, the OG localization actually translated Kuri to Chestnut.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It was always so odd. Like it would've been a dumb joke anyway, but iirc it's not even… presented as one? Like Gloomtail just calls her his sister and no one acknowledges it or makes a joke about it right?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It was always so odd. Like it would've been a dumb joke anyway, but iirc it's not even… presented as one? Like Gloomtail just calls her his sister and no one acknowledges it or makes a joke about it right?
I don't know if it's so much of a joke as it is two one translator not getting the memo about what Hooktail's gender is lol.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Boggly Woods looks gorgeous. The other screenshots not so much. The champion's room looks awful and I don't like the papercraft look on those lamp posts