Oct 27, 2017
Omg, yes, this is one of the main boss battles that comes to my mind whenever I think about the game. Even as a kid, I was looking at the clock & being baffled as at why it was taking so long when I'm usually the "try to fight every enemy possible" player.

In the EU & Japanese versions, Princess Shroob was 1,700 HP. In the US, a whopping 3,000. For comparison's sake, the final boss in Superstar Saga was 1,200 in the US, or 800 in Japan.

It's a shame there was never a re-release where they added in the Japanese HP values, then have the US version be a hard mode or something. That would help motivate a replay knowing the boss fights wouldn't be such damage sponges.

Lmao I never knew this! Are there also differences in TTYD boss battles?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Omg, yes, this is one of the main boss battles that comes to my mind whenever I think about the game. Even as a kid, I was looking at the clock & being baffled as at why it was taking so long when I'm usually the "try to fight every enemy possible" player.

In the EU & Japanese versions, Princess Shroob was 1,700 HP. In the US, a whopping 3,000. For comparison's sake, the final boss in Superstar Saga was 1,200 in the US, or 800 in Japan.

It's a shame there was never a re-release where they added in the Japanese HP values, then have the US version be a hard mode or something. That would help motivate a replay knowing the boss fights wouldn't be such damage sponges.

Man, no wonder that lady took two hours to beat.

What was up with these changes, anyway? I've always known they were there but in retrospect, this is probably why M&L had such bloated boss fights.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Man, no wonder that lady took two hours to beat.

What was up with these changes, anyway? I've always known they were there but in retrospect, this is probably why M&L had such bloated boss fights.
This was at the peak of Nintendo especially in the west being very kid coded, and this was one example of them just adding the hp because that means it's "more difficult".

flohen95

Nov 4, 2017
It should be noted that Partners in Time's initial release was actually the US one, so technically they didn't change the fight to be longer but adapted it to be shorter for the later Japanese and European releases. Although with only one month between the Japanese and US releases, it is still possible that the higher HP stat was purposefully specifically implemented in the US version only. I guess only people at Nintendo would know for sure.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Hm, I always thought of TTYD as being categorically above PM64 and the M&L games - it's a more sophisticated game in terms of gameplay mechanics and the writing/humor by a long shot. Probably Nintendo's best written game ever.

It also just feels larger in scale and scope than the others, taking into account all the places you get to visit, and the plot gets weirdly dark for a Mario game (probably less so than SPM though)

Great game and I'll be sure to play it even for $60.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh one of my friend's has already had his copy dispatched this morning from Shopto.

Damn myself going digital.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Amazon Italy keeps saying that my copy will be dispatched next week, I don't know if there have been shortages. Might go out and buy from Gamestop.

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews coming in tomorrow, right?

Also just saw plenty of ads in Paris! Was kinda surprised since I've only ever seen ads for like Zelda or Mario Wonder.

Y'all seen some ads in your cities? I know there's some in Tokyo (based off Reddit).

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I'm amazed that the game hasn't broken street date yet. I know it is not as high profile as ToTK, but I was expecting leaks by last Friday.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's already photos of the back of the box circulating so I'm pretty sure the game's broken its street date already, just no one reporting anything yet.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
While a spin off he's the main villain of Mario DDR if I remember correctly.
He's a villain in Mario DDR. He just puts the story in motion, but is superceded by a multitude of characters until it's reveal that of course Bowser was behind it all.

A Freezie is a bigger villain than Waluigi in the game.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017