• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting

A flawed comparison, sure - but like... not that far off in terms of the evolution and improvements made or how "true Zelda fans" still react. The formula of the series is what the creators want it to be.
It is very far off lmao. The first Color Splash trailer made it evidently clear that it was following right in Sticker Star's footsteps.

Feb 10, 2024
Interesting

A flawed comparison, sure - but like... not that far off in terms of the evolution and improvements made or how "true Zelda fans" still react. The formula of the series is what the creators want it to be.
Not really. Skyward Sword is a very different game compared to BOTW and TOTK, completely different formula between the classic 3D Zelda and the open world formula.

There's a lot more design continuity between SS>CS->TOK, they're all direct follow-ups to each other. I know CS is a major improvement over SS, but it's absolutely in the same design formula.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Color Splash despite it having some of Sticker Stars DNA in it. I feel like it's a worthy game in the PM series.

Its one of the few Wii U games I've held onto
Color splash would become a 10/10 game for me if IS literally removed the battle system and just left enemies as obstacles on the field. I love the game but the battles are absolutely horrid

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I think it's fine to dislike the newer games without having to play them. I have done a little, but for me, they clearly have had none of the things I liked about the first two games. At this point, Paper Mario might as well be a completely different series from where it started. Nintendo doubled down on the new style, so (up until now) it was only natural to assume each subsequent entry was going to be similar, since they never gave any indication otherwise.

It's a bit like when a band completely changes music genre. Yeah, maybe they're still talented and all. But it's obvious when their newer output isn't going to be to my taste, or even what I liked about them in the first place.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
TOK is better than CS which is better than SS but all the games are continuously held back by what feels like a stubborn reluctance to make anything about the combat worthwhile…which is why the entire franchise is so baffling when the first two games obviously had this solved already.

They would 100% be better if they just continued on from SPM where you just hammer enemies on a field and never engage in combat with how they are. TOK bosses were more interesting atleast, but I also am still in pain over some of the "partners are back!!" hype when they were temporary and absolutely useless for the combat style anyway.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I mean, I don't really give a shit about staying true to the original franchise or keeping original gameplay in tact or whatever, just do it well.

I don't dump on Tears of the Kingdom or The Origami King because they're not like the old games, I dump on them because I don't think they're fun and I paid full price for them day 1. And it's easy to see the solution to Origami King's issue because they made the same mistake three times down. At least in Tears case, I still have Breath of Wild to enjoy and see how that formula works and I'm still learning what changes Tears made that made the whole thing not work for me.

Fire Emblem Three Houses doubled down on things I didn't like about where the series was going, and it became my 2nd favorite of the series due to just doing those things well unlike Awakening and Conquest.

Change whatever you want, it's all about the execution for me.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: Sticker Star is better than Colour Splash. While CS may have better scenarios, Sticker Star actually gives you a reason to explore via the health upgrades. Having no reason to go off the beaten path in an adventure game is just baffling.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
A few comparisons (excuse the poor quality, these were taken from direct feed)

The darker text bubbles seem unique to the boos
image.png

The animations for NPCs and party members are very appreciated
image.png

image.png

Love that the party is there with you
image.png

i still don't get the no color allegations

Last edited:

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Interesting

Kind of inverted.

It's more like judging Ocarina of Time just because you didn't like Skyward Sword and Skyward Sword is the Zelda formula at its purest.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I think TOK is the second best Paper Mario game. Only thing holding it back is the normal battles and original characters. But the writing and story makes it up for the latter. Never played Super, Sticker, or Color Splash though.

If we can get TTYD battle system, original characters, and story with the level, world, and humor in TOK, that would be a fantastic Paper Mario game.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
I think TOK is the second best Paper Mario game. Only thing holding it back is the normal battles and original characters. But the writing and story makes it up for the latter. Never played Super, Sticker, or Color Splash though.

If we can get TTYD battle system, original characters, and story with the level, world, and humor in TOK, that would be a fantastic Paper Mario game.

I think that TTYD is better at all of those categories except the world (the world in TTYD has more interesting lore and locations, but the exploration in TOK is much better). TOK has some funny stuff but I'm not a fan of the over-reliance on paper jokes

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017

Nah, it's not better than the first game. However, it is the best of the non-JRPG games. I just wish they'd stop trying it with these stupid-ass battle systems that become time-wasting slogs after a few hours, tops.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Nah, it's not better than the first game. However, it is the best of the non-JRPG games. I just wish they'd stop trying it with these stupid-ass battle systems that become time-wasting slogs after a few hours, tops.

The first is great but TTYD being so similar in structure makes it sort of obsolete and bring this down just below TOK for me. Especially since I played TTYD first before 64.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
tbh Origami King is overrated. It peaks with Shogun Studios and then falls off super hard.

The first two chapters are nonstop charm, just a constant stream of silly dialogue and wacky setpieces. Then they make you drive around the desert in a shoe for a while and it starts getting boring, the gap between each fun little interaction gets bigger and bigger

The boat chapter is even worse. There's no scenario guiding this one at all, just a very boring reenactment of Windwaker with minimal NPC interaction. It's exactly like Sticker Star. Even Color Splash was better about this, you go on a Pirate Treasure Hunts with a crew of chatty Toads, while TOK sets you loose on an ocean devoid of charm and sends you to find the boss, that's it.

The game picks up again with Shangri-Spa, but by that point you're almost at the end. Too little too late

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I have a hard time picking which is at the end of my list between Sticker Star and Super

64 > TTYD > OK >>>>>>> Color Splash >>>>>>>>>>> Super and Sticker Star

Sticker Star is just... boring and Super doesn't even feel like a Paper Mario game (or even a Mario game) and is too long

Origami King is very good, and 64 will always be the king. The 64 vibes are immaculate

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
TTYD > TOK > 64 > Super

TTYD is good, sucks about all the padding, but it's still clearly the best PM game. Only one to consistently have characters and battle mechanics worth actually getting invested in.

TOK is also generally good, it's aesthetically beautiful and has a fantastic soundtrack. I think the battle system is generally interesting but I ended up paying off the Toads to skip a lot of random encounters later on. It gets just tedious after a while, which to be fair is a common JRPG problem and affects the other PM games as well, but it's more of a problem in this game because the random encounters take actual effort to wipe out quickly. The boss fights are great though and are mechanically my favorite in the series. The partners outside of Bobby (who is great) are disappointing and the lack of original characters is also greatly disappointing.

64 is decent but it's too simple for its own good. The story and premise are too vanilla compared to both TTYD and SMRPG. The SMRPG comparison in particular really hurts this game for me because it's a downgrade in basically every way. The music isn't nearly as good, the settings aren't nearly as interesting, the partner characters are mostly uninteresting and basically stop existing narratively after they join the party, the battle system is even simpler and also way too easily broken by just spamming the Star Spirit abilities. Like I get Mario RPGs are meant to be simpler and I even appreciate it because SMRPG itself was the game that originally turned me into a lifelong JRPG fan back when I first rented it at 5 years old. But PM64 just takes it too far IMO. SMRPG and TTYD are simple games but they are able to hold my attention even now, but PM64 is a bit of a bore for me. I don't want it to come off like I hate this game or anything though, I still think it's fine, it's just not a favorite of mine.

Super is not good, a few of the early chapters are decent but after the Mimi and Francis chapters are over the game basically completely runs out of gas. I really hope the reactionary movement up pretending this game is some misunderstood masterpiece is over now. I don't care how bad Sticker Star apparently was, Super just ain't it.

I didn't play SS or CS, I guess CS I would maybe be interested in trying out some day but I don't see much of a point in playing SS when basically nothing about the game sounds appealing

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
This might come off as hyperbole to some, especially considering how late they released in their consoles' lifespan, but in my mind, PM64 and TTYD were essential reasons to own an N64 and GCN, in the same way OoT, SM64, Melee and Metroid Prime were for their respective systems. Heck, in the NSO trailer thread for PM64 here, many were calling it one of the best games ever made.

Origami King is fine, but I wouldn't say it's a necessary purchase for any Switch owner by any means. I just want to see future games return to that level of magnum opus quality.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This might come off as hyperbole to some, especially considering how late they released in their consoles' lifespan, but in my mind, PM64 and TTYD were essential reasons to own an N64 and GCN, in the same way OoT, SM64, Melee and Metroid Prime were for their respective systems. Heck, in the NSO trailer thread for PM64 here, many were calling it one of the best games ever made.

Origami King is fine, but I wouldn't say it's a necessary purchase for any Switch owner by any means. I just want to see future games return to that level of magnum opus quality.
PM64 is absolutely the best N64 game. TTYD is top 5 for the Gamecube....a bit more competition. So I would agree.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
To be fair, the N64 had such a weak library in comparison to the Switch, that the games that were good or great stood out way more. Gamecube isn't much better, to be honest ... they had gems, but more quality than quality and quantity.

Otto Pilot

Oct 26, 2022
Hot take: Sticker Star is better than Colour Splash. While CS may have better scenarios, Sticker Star actually gives you a reason to explore via the health upgrades. Having no reason to go off the beaten path in an adventure game is just baffling.

Not a major reason, but don't you get experience to increase your ink capacity through battles? That allows you to put more color into your attacks and make them stronger. It could at least make the mandatory fights easier.

But yeah, you could totally skip most the battles if you really wanted to.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Just the fact that almost everyone says they usually try to skip battles in the "sticker star trilogy" kind of just says it all. A failure of game design.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not a major reason, but don't you get experience to increase your ink capacity through battles? That allows you to put more color into your attacks and make them stronger. It could at least make the mandatory fights easier.

But yeah, you could totally skip most the battles if you really wanted to.
You do. Although battle isn't exploration. I'm talking along the lines of finding new badges and star pieces in the first two games or the HP up hearts in Sticker Star and Origami King.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
64 is decent but it's too simple for its own good. The story and premise are too vanilla compared to both TTYD and SMRPG. The SMRPG comparison in particular really hurts this game for me because it's a downgrade in basically every way. The music isn't nearly as good, the settings aren't nearly as interesting, the partner characters are mostly uninteresting and basically stop existing narratively after they join the party, the battle system is even simpler and also way too easily broken by just spamming the Star Spirit abilities. Like I get Mario RPGs are meant to be simpler and I even appreciate it because SMRPG itself was the game that originally turned me into a lifelong JRPG fan back when I first rented it at 5 years old. But PM64 just takes it too far IMO. SMRPG and TTYD are simple games but they are able to hold my attention even now, but PM64 is a bit of a bore for me. I don't want it to come off like I hate this game or anything though, I still think it's fine, it's just not a favorite of mine.

Funny, I just played SMRPG for the first time in prep for TTYD and I feel very similarly about SMRPG that you do about 64. Paper Mario is my favorite game of all time so I never expected SMRPG to surpass it, but I did have a great time with it.

hsojlightfoot

AVALANCHE
Apr 6, 2020
Can't wait to play this. Been awhile since it was a gamecube game.

I'm hoping the paper mario series goes back to this style.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Considering we're only a month away, I'm convinced the US won't be getting any kind of pre-order bonus, which is a huge shame after seeing what Japan & the UK are getting.

I may have to give in & nab not only the keychains via eBay or something, but also the Geno one for Mario RPG + the acrylic stand. Think part of it is I just like the idea that these remakes for my favorite RPGs got a little something extra when it came to physical goods.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Caught by the hype, I started playing Mario and Luigi on NSO. I remember loving the game as a kid but dropping it very early since it wasn't mine. In the susequent years I've played Bowser's Inside Story and Paper Jam, so far this feels better than both.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Considering we're only a month away, I'm convinced the US won't be getting any kind of pre-order bonus, which is a huge shame after seeing what Japan & the UK are getting.

I may have to give in & nab not only the keychains via eBay or something, but also the Geno one for Mario RPG + the acrylic stand. Think part of it is I just like the idea that these remakes for my favorite RPGs got a little something extra when it came to physical goods.
The EU also gets the keychains as a preorder bonus. I also saw a special bundle for 10 bucks more that comes with a paper podium, but it's already sold out. I have no space for this so I didn't get it.

ihpkvkvmvpxfk0ovpban