• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcGuZF5hES0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqJak3DzEQU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3YxRoPSdcY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrb6GabLzb4

www.ign.com

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door – Remake First Impressions - IGN

In our hands-off preview of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, we had a chance to see gameplay of the remake of that classic GameCube storybook adventure we fell in love with 20 years ago and it's looking more beautiful than ever.

www.polygon.com

Nintendo’s new Paper Mario remaster doesn’t mess with perfection

The best Paper Mario looks better and (hopefully) plays better too

kotaku.com

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door's Remake Is Looking Picture Perfect

Five minutes of Japanese footage have us slavering to play the updated 2004 game all over again

www.yahoo.com

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Preview: A Lovingly Crafted Remake

Recently, I had the chance to attend a virtual preview of the upcoming Nintendo Switch remake of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. I haven’t played any of the Paper Mario titles, as my experience with the franchise is largely relegated to watching friends play it or checking out Let’s Plays...

www.digitaltrends.com

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door remake is newcomer-friendly | Digital Trends

Nintendo gave us a close look at some of the changes coming to its upcoming Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door remake.

wccftech.com

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Hands-On Impressions – Recycled Materials

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is coming back, but but is the game still a cut above in 2024? Check out our early impressions!

www.thesixthaxis.com

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Switch Preview | TheSixthAxis

It wouldn't be a classic Mario game if he didn't blindly follow the instructions of a letter or invitation. We play this Paper Mario remake.

Last edited:

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Still trying to get used to the coloring / lighting. Everything just feels darker, to emphasize the natural lighting, but even the outside. I can turn up the brightness, but what about the hue?

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to it as its something I've wanted to play and never got round to, seems the perfect time.
Only disappointment it seems to be 30fps? Which it may still play fine at sure, but just seems disappointing when you consider the GC version could. Hopefully Switch 2 might be able to if this can't.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Another preview for the pile! It's Paper Mario The Thousand-Year Door as you remember it -- beyond presentation, which is very nice, any changes are pretty subtle at this point. Definitely a more conservative update than Super Mario RPG, which is a bit disappointing, because I've never really thought of TTYD as a perfect game, but rather a distinctive and memorable one with its share of flaws. But hey, if you were afraid of them messing with the good parts of the game, don't, it's all still there.

wccftech.com

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Hands-On Impressions – Recycled Materials

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is coming back, but but is the game still a cut above in 2024? Check out our early impressions!

Still trying to get used to the coloring / lighting. Everything just feels darker, to emphasize the natural lighting, but even the outside. I can turn up the brightness, but what about the hue?

Not everything is darker -- some parts are more colorful. Actual lighting has been added to the game, rather than the mostly flat presentation from the original game, so there's more contrast between darker scenes and brighter scenes.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Probably detailed elsewhere, but the GVG preview mentions a time-saving mechanic for backtracking! (Alas,the Nintendo rep declined to elaborate.)

Also oh my god regional battle themes???? AAAAHHHHHHH

Gamecube soundtrack confirmed as well!

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Looking forward to it as its something I've wanted to play and never got round to, seems the perfect time.
Only disappointment it seems to be 30fps? Which it may still play fine at sure, but just seems disappointing when you consider the GC version could. Hopefully Switch 2 might be able to if this can't.

Yea just finished watching the Nintendo Life preview and they confirmed it's 30fps. Kind of a bummer but it seems they adjusted the input timings in battle to be more lenient to compensate.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Yea just finished watching the Nintendo Life preview and they confirmed it's 30fps. Kind of a bummer but it seems they adjusted the input timings in battle to be more lenient to compensate.

Yeah, the battle inputs still feel just fine. Also of note, it may be 30fps, but it's a consistent 30fps. I didn't notice any performance hiccups like in a lot of other late-era Switch titles. This ain't exactly Bayonetta -- 30fps doesn't hurt the experience much at all.

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
There's a lot of the trappings of a modern Paper Mario game with some of the graphical enhancements, but it's still the GameCube classic through and through, and a much needed avenue for fans and newcomers alike to get to play this game again.

www.thesixthaxis.com

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Switch Preview | TheSixthAxis

It wouldn't be a classic Mario game if he didn't blindly follow the instructions of a letter or invitation. We play this Paper Mario remake.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Everything is fantastic but why did they change Rogueport music so much, of all things? I know the point is to make it feel crowded of different styles but the original was already perfect. Maybe the music changes depending on where you are? Because even the viola/cello solo is covered by other instruments and melodies.
It's weird because all the other songs sound better now.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Everything is fantastic but why did they change Rogueport music so much, of all things? I know the point is to make it feel crowded of different styles but the original was already perfect. Maybe the music changes depending on where you are? Because even the viola/cello solo is covered by other instruments and melodies.
I might be misremembering but I think there's multiple rogueport arrangements now? Haven't listened to the new music but that might account for the departure you're hearing

worst comes to worst there's also a way to switch back to the GCN OST

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I might be misremembering but I think there's multiple rogueport arrangements now? Haven't listened to the new music but that might account for the departure you're hearing

worst comes to worst there's also a way to switch back to the GCN OST
It's clear that they put a lot of love in this remake, and there is nothing to complain about really, I'm just wondering.
My hype is over the roof anyway.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
Watched a preview earlier. Doesn't seem to have changed much outside of presentation and some QoL improvements, but that's fine by me. The original was close to perfect for me already.

As an aside, while I don't mind playing it in English, it's great to finally see it localized to LATAM Spanish.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I agree, it seems to be the one real miss of the soundtrack so far. I thought maybe there are new variations of the theme and this could be one of them, but I saw a gameplay video and it plays in the main part of Rougeport :(

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be shocked if the Rogueport music stays the same the whole game given the effort they've gone through with the battle theme. I'm sure it's in for some variations - be it based on where you are in the town, or if it evolves with chapter completion.

On that note, what they did with the battle theme has me over the moon. Can't believe it's getting variations. The updated OST makes it hard to resist Day 1 for me.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the GVG preview and they mention an interesting script change: Hooktail's aversion to crickets was changed back to frogs ala the Japanese version. Something to consider!
The sound effect was changed. The original one didn't sound like any frog anyone outside of Japan would recognize as a frog. So this might not mean anything wrt wider script changes.

Oct 25, 2017
If they've "relaxed" the timing for the attacks then I'm much less interested in this. I really hope they haven't. Did any of the previews give a definitive answer?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
If they've "relaxed" the timing for the attacks then I'm much less interested in this. I really hope they haven't. Did any of the previews give a definitive answer?
One of the previews (I wanna say the GVG one, 1st video in OP) mentioned that they asked, given Mario RPG's additions, & it sounded like no, they didn't change the difficulty in anyway. The only thing they added was an easier means to practice stuff like the timing for superguard, but not the timing itself.

Edit: yeah, at the 2 minute mark of the GVG preview. The only things added to make things "easier" is just a button for Goombella to give you a hint about how to progress.

Last edited:

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
Not shocked that it's running at 30fps after all but still disappointed, especially since I disliked how Bowser's Inside Story's remake cut that game's framerate in half too. Still excited for this and will definitely pick it up soon though. Same with SMRPG which I still need to grab

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Not shocked that it's running at 30fps after all but still disappointed, especially since I disliked how Bowser's Inside Story's remake cut that game's framerate in half too. Still excited for this and will definitely pick it up soon though. Same with SMRPG which I still need to grab

I normally don't hate 30 FPS, but that BIS Remake really bothered me when playing it next to the original.

The new sprites didn't bother me, but the game just played so slowly and combat wasn't as snappy.

I'm still getting this since I own every Mario RPG but I'm not sure if it's a day one anymore.

inkblot

Mar 27, 2024
The music is so GOOD, I cannot believe we're getting region-specific battle themes! This is going to be the version I now play over and over again. Hopefully it gets a res and framerate bump with Switch 2 👀

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really been following this remake too closely but did the dialogue didn't always have the "talking" noise did it? Not to be nitpicky but it sounds kinda annoying lol. Other than that, everything looks great!

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
one of my fave games ever, but the 30fps is a hard no for me

How do you remake a game and make it perform worse than the original?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Considering the frame-rate drops that were reported in the previews, it was likely a necessary concession in light of the other visual improvements. Hopefully they do a Switch 2 update that bumps the game up to 60fps.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
Little nervous for how they might handle Vivian
Looks like they're actually going to treat her properly this time - dialogue changes already reverting the blanket feminine pronouns the original translation used when they outright ignored her being a trans woman. Transphobic siblings confirmed

IMG-4060.jpg

IMG-4061.jpg

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Watching some of these on my phone really quickly and I can't have the volume very high, but it sounds like not only newly arranged music, but also potentially new sound design!

Noticing it in the UI sound design. Again I can barely have the volume up right now and don't have my headphones so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
Looks like they're actually going to treat her properly this time - dialogue changes already reverting the blanket feminine pronouns the original translation used when they outright ignored her being a trans woman. Transphobic siblings confirmed

IMG-4060.jpg

IMG-4061.jpg
I had huge doubts they were going to treat her properly, but if so, wow. Fingers crossed they follow through.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

IMG-4060.jpg

IMG-4061.jpg
Fingers crossed!
I can already see dumbass chuds complaining that "woke translators ruined Paper Mario!"

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound

IMG-4060.jpg

IMG-4061.jpg
Woah color me surprised. Probably not something Nintendo relishes tackling but outright removing it would be worse, so props.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Fingers crossed!
I can already see dumbass chuds complaining that "woke translators ruined Paper Mario!"
There's people already complaining about "botched localization" since....they changed a brief scene to not have Goombella get called a hottie.

They're absolutely gonna melt once the full game is released and it respects Vivian's identity.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks so darn pretty. Wish it were 60FPS, but I guess there's my reason to keep my original copy lol.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017

Simple, a remake is made from the ground up, brand new code, assests and graphical effects. The performance baseline is completely different and the decision was made to go for 30fps over 60fps with worse graphics.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

IMG-4060.jpg

IMG-4061.jpg
can someone refresh my memory on original Japanese Vivian? IIRC, isn't the story that she forced by her sisters to present as female when she didn,t see herself as such? As in, she was born a boy and wanted to be a boy, but her sisters forced her to present as a girl because they didn't want to have a brother.

Am I remembering this correctly? Because if I am, this is making me worried that the game isn't going to have the positive representation of gender non-conformity that we would want it to have.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Simple, a remake is made from the ground up, brand new code, assests and graphical effects. The performance baseline is completely different and the decision was made to go for 30fps over 60fps with worse graphics.
Remind me what people think "from the ground up" means because I feel like that Glitz Pit background thing mentioned in the other thread would still be an issue if this was the case.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
can someone refresh my memory on original Japanese Vivian? IIRC, isn't the story that she forced by her sisters to present as female when she didn,t see herself as such? As in, she was born a boy and wanted to be a boy, but her sisters forced her to present as a girl because they didn't want to have a brother.

Am I remembering this correctly? Because if I am, this is making me worried that the game isn't going to have the positive representation of gender non-conformity that we would want it to have.
In the JP version of the game, Vivian calls herself one of the three shadow sisters, before promptly being scolded by her sister Beldam, who then calls her a man.

2vVq7IT.png

オトコ = "man"

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

You have it backwards. In the original JP release Vivian is implied to be a transgender girl. Beldum keeps denying her gender identity by referring to her as a boy and using masculine pronouns.

In the remake it looks like they've changed the name from "The Three Shadow Sirens" to "The Three Shadows" (and are explicitly redacting their exact relation).

This could go one of two ways:
a) they're just going to awkwardly ignore the whole thing completely and not refer to gender at all
b) they're going all in and Beldum can no longer collectively refer to themselves as "sirens", because sirens are understood to be female.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the JP version of the game, Vivian calls herself one of the three shadow sisters, before promptly being scolded by her sister Beldam, who then calls her a man.

2vVq7IT.png

オトコ = "man"
You have it backwards. In the original JP release Vivian is implied to be a transgender girl. Beldum keeps denying her gender identity by referring to her as a boy and using masculine pronouns.

In the remake it looks like they've changed the name from "The Three Shadow Sirens" to "The Three Shadows" (and are explicitly redacting their exact relation).

a) they're just going to awkwardly ignore the whole thing completely and not refer to gender at all
b) they're going all in and Beldum can no longer collectively refer to themselves as "sirens", because sirens are understood to be female.

Thank you!

Trans-affirming transphobia is hella weird lol
yeah it's not ideal, but at least the game is presenting the transphobia as wrong and takes the side of Vivian.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

I don't think that's what's going on. I think before that Vivian referred to their group as the Three Shadow Sisters and Beldam is being transphobic by "correcting" her and saying they are the Three Shadows (Relation Withheld).

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think that's what's going on. I think before that Vivian referred to their group as the Three Shadow Sisters and Beldam is being transphobic by "correcting" her and saying they are the Three Shadows (Relation Withheld).
In the original Japanese, Beldam doesn't just correct the name, she specifically says that Vivian doesn't qualify as a sister because she's "actually" their brother. They're replacing Beldam's original insult with "relation withheld," i.e., "she's not related to us" rather than "our group consists of two girls and a boy."

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
In the original Japanese, Beldam doesn't just correct the name, she specifically says that Vivian doesn't qualify as a sister because she's "actually" their brother. They're replacing Beldam's original insult with "relation withheld," i.e., "she's not related to us" rather than "our group consists of two girls and a boy."
Right. I think you misread my post. It sounded like Axe was misunderstanding the line and thought Nintendo was changing the name of the group. Beldam is calling themselves the "Three Shadows (Relation Withheld)" to be transphobic and put down Vivian. It's not Nintendo avoiding mentioning gender.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Right. I think you misread my post. It sounded like Axe was misunderstanding the line and thought Nintendo was changing the name of the group. Beldam is calling themselves the "Three Shadows (Relation Withheld)" to be transphobic and put down Vivian.
No, I'm arguing that they've removed Beldam referring to Vivian as their brother (which she explicitly lays out in the original Japanese) and replaced it with a different insult ("you're adopted" or "you've been disowned"). They've added the phrase "relation withheld" to the dialogue box to explain Beldam's issue with Vivian's using the name "Shadow Sisters."

edit: Well also yes though, we're on the same page that the name "Shadow Three" was reverted back to the original Japanese name rather than being a new name.