• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if already posted, but

Full release here: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/...to-acquire-seattle-based-harebrained-schemes/

STOCKHOLM and SEATTLE – June 5, 2018 – Paradox Interactive, a global publisher and developer of interactive entertainment, today announced it has entered into an agreement to acquire 100% of the shares in Harebrained Holdings Inc, sole owner of Harebrained Schemes, LLC, from Harebrained Bag of Holding Inc. Paradox pays a fixed purchase price of US$7,500,000 at the time of acquisition plus an additional purchase price corresponding to 25% of the acquired business' earnings before publishing costs over the next 5 years to the extent such earnings exceed the fixed purchase price. The deal is expected to close by Thursday, June 7, 2018.

FAQ from their forum

Greetings everyone,
We just wanted to answer some of the (probably) most likely questions you may have so please read this entire post before asking your questions ;)

What will this mean for Paradox and HBS?
Harebrained Schemes will continue to operate with its own internal management and creative teams, designing and developing the games that have earned them their outstanding reputation. HBS and Paradox have a shared vision for where to take narrative rich tactical games. Of course each title will be greenlit via Paradox's publishing process. HBS will continue to have the freedom to creative direct our games and build our player experiences.

In their new role as a division of Paradox Interactive, Harebrained Schemes will gain access to an expert publisher with a strong reputation and a global audience. Paradox will handle finances, marketing, PR, and distribution, and leave the development to HBS. Paradox is bringing HBS on board because they like what the studio is doing, so nobody wants to change that. Fans of Harebrained Schemes can continue to count on the community involvement and visibility that the studio has always provided.

This arrangement came about due to the excellent experience both companies have had while working together on BATTLETECH. Everybody believes this is a great fit.

Is Paradox removing any of the executive team at HBS? Will they be installing new studio managers from their side? Will there be other staffing changes?
All the executives of HBS are remaining at the company in their current roles. There are no plans to install new studio management from Sweden in the HBS offices. The only anticipated staffing changes is that we at HBS are currently hiring for the studio!

Will PDS make games using the HBS IP? Will there be Mechwarriors in Stellaris?
There are no plans for "crossing the streams" at this point.

Will HBS make games using Paradox IP? Could we get a CK2 RPG? Victoria 3 when?
HBS will continue to focus on what it does best which are tactical games with rich stories.

Is HBS going to shift its focus to developing tons of DLC?
We will be supporting BATTLETECH with updates and additional content and we are starting concept development for a new title.

Last edited:

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Smart purchase. Fits well with both Paradox's identity, and the products they make are a bit of an adjacent category, so it grows what they offer instead of being redundant.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They're really becoming a Strategy powerhouse. They've got to be bigger than Creative Assembly by now, right?

EDIT: Ah right, getting my Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studios mixed up.

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's a good fit. I guess we'll see more Battletech games as well.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
As an aside, I love that the even Harebrained's holding-company-that-exists-for-legal-reasons is a RPG reference.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Last we heard the MechWarrior rights go back up for renegotiation in 2020. Wonder if they'll get another game out before then or go for an expansion?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Shadowrun is soooo ripe for a Battletech-style open-ended campaign. Which would both fit perfectly with the Paradox evergreen style of development.

I can hardly wait to see what they come up with together. Should be great stuff!

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I guess worst things could have happened yet the thought that the new Shadowrun game will have a flood of overpriced DLCs is uncomforting to me and my wallet.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Great news. I hope we get many Battletech Expansions/DLC

Also, Battletech and CK2 would work well together.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Maybe this could provide enough capital to actually buy Shadowrun and Battletech IPs. (They are both on loan from Microsoft last I checked)

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this could provide enough capital to actually buy Shadowrun and Battletech IPs. (They are both on loan from Microsoft last I checked)

MechWarrior/Battletech is still out until 2020 but Shadowrun seems to have been returned to MS (they were receptive to pitches for the IP as of last year). Shadowrun must not have had the extension clause that MW did or it might not have met whatever those conditions were at some point in 2015.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Good fit. Hopefully PDX will still let them work on Shadowrun RPGs, after the performance of Tyranny.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I wonder if that means no more Kickstarters for future games and a shift away from supporting previously released titles.

HBS makes great games, if sometimes a little simple, so good for them and I do hope we get more bigger games as a result of the partnership.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
A damn good fit of Battletech is any indication. Would love a bigger dive for Shadowrun for a more PnP faithful version - something people could even use as tabletop replacement would be a dream.

But more Battletech is also certainly welcome.

Oct 25, 2017
Shadowrun is soooo ripe for a Battletech-style open-ended campaign. Which would both fit perfectly with the Paradox evergreen style of development.

I can hardly wait to see what they come up with together. Should be great stuff!
I actually wanted this from the moment I learned about Battletech's structure. Hope it happens.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
That's great news for Jordan, MItch and their crew. I have been a huge fan of theirs from day 1, and supported all 4 of their Kickstarters, and honestly consider them one of the best (former, I guess^^) indie developers around. Can't wait what they do next with BattleTech, and hopefully Shadowrun again in the future.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Was only a matter of time. Not sure how it'll work out for either of them.

I wonder if they're also eyeing Obsidian, or if that's still out of their league at this point.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
If I didn't know that HBS was independent I would have thought they were with Paradox already, it's so on-brand.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Well, that makes too much sense.

Yup, yup. I have to agree with the sentiments of everyone else here. This is a good purchase for Paradox as Harebrained Schemes just fits right in with the other Paradox developers. This is beneficial for Harebrained as it could help them move into B-tier developer territory and out of indie tier. It will also benefit the growth of Paradox as a publisher.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
does this mean their next game could be another shadowrun? i remember in an interview their studio head said they wanted to return to shadowrun eventually and make a new game in a 3D engine

i'm not a big fan of battletech but i loved the shadowrun games, these guys know how to make a good rpg. if not shadowrun paradox should let them make a world of darkness rpg.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
If Harebrained Schemes had to be bought I guess there is worse out there then Paradox. The cynic in me is expecting Battletech to have 50 different pieces of dlc now.

Last edited:

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wary of developers being bought out, and for good reason. History has not been kind. That said, I think Paradox is one of the few publishers where I'm not immediately worried about the future of Harebrained Schemes.

Maybe we'll get to see some World of Darkness RPGs from them now.