• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Press Release

Paradox Interactive has today decided to write down capitalized development costs for the game The Lamplighters League, in addition to the regular degressive amortization done during the game's first three months. Overall, this will result in that all of the game's capitalized development costs of MSEK 320 will be recognized as costs in the fourth quarter of 2023. The game's impact on profit before tax for the fourth quarter is estimated to MSEK -248. The write-down stems from a revised sales forecast, which was established after the game's release.

"The Lamplighters League is a fun game with many strengths. Even though we see cautiously positive player numbers in subscription services, the commercial reception has been too weak, which is frankly a big disappointment. Game projects are by their nature always risky, but at the end of the day we haven't performed at the level we should. It is painful but makes us more eager to roll up our sleeves and do better," says Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive.

Very unfortunate but not at all a surprise. The game had financial bomb written all over it for awhile now, and the mixed reception at launch probably made it unlikely to ever surprisingly catch on.

Hopefully HBS comes out the other side of this.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Time to make another Shadowrun game.

...Aww, who am I kidding, they'll just go back to Battletech.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
an oversaturated strategy game market plus being worse than previous games youve made isnt a good combination

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ugh. It has to be hard as a developer when you try to go with your own creation/world and it doesn't do what you hope. Hope they have their heads up high

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I didn't even realize it was coming out (nor that it was even coming to Game Pass) until literally the week it was about to hit that service.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
feel like it could've used an extra month or two of polish and released at a better time + not had the crashing/perf issues (or at least mitigated more)

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Not a port beg, but man this would have been a purchase on my Switch. I'll throw it on the GamePass queue for now, not sure it competes with the other games on my Xbox/PS5 right now though. I would have loved to play this handheld in bed while winding down.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Was mildly interested at one point, enough to try on GP anyway. Poor reviews and it coming in a stacked window really made it plummet down my list unfortunately. Not exactly in a mainstream genre either.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Harebrained Schemes earned my love forever with their Shadowrun games but honestly, I could never muster up much interest for Lamplighter's league.

It doesn't look terrible, it just didn't look that intriguing or in depth compared to their previous two projects. Theres no "hook" for me thats drawing me in.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Didn't it only come out a week ago? Really sucks that it didn't turn out as well as it could and that it seems to have been a sales failure.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The poor reviews meant that I didn't even bother to download it on Game Pass.

Steam CCU peaked at a paltry 773.

For a comparison to another TBS that released this year, Jagged Alliance 3: 25,366.

(Seriously, wtf? Why does Jagged Alliance 3 have over 2k people playing it right now?)

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Didn't it only come out a week ago? Really sucks that it didn't turn out as well as it could and that it seems to have been a sales failure.

I think the writing has been on the wall financially for awhile now unfortunately. When you don't even hit 1k concurrents on a game that wasn't cheap to develop it's a pretty bad time.

(Seriously, wtf? Why does Jagged Alliance 3 have over 2k people playing it right now?)

It's great!

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
What's odd is a similar game (aesthetic wise) Strange Brigade unended being kind of a big bomb too.

I think that "Adventure" setting of the 1920s-1930s just doesn't seem to be very appealing to most.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even with the quality of its launch aside, it shouldn't come as a surprise after the failure of Indiana Jones this summer. Early 20th century adventures is a toxic trope these days. The genre is simultaneously overdone and played out while too tied to its misogynistic and racist roots

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I was interested in this until I played it...it's way jankier than expected and the real time stuff is super fiddly. I gave up when I couldn't get people to go up a ladder without switching spots with one another and alerting guards.

But yeah, I mentioned it a few times in the discords I'm in and there seemed to be zero interest at all.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
What's odd is a similar game (aesthetic wise) Strange Brigade unended being kind of a big bomb too.

I think that "Adventure" setting of the 1920s-1930s just doesn't seem to be very appealing to most.
I love the setting and really enjoyed strange brigade. I was excited for this when I initially saw it, then lost all interest when I found out it was turn based

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Well I wasninterested but just don't have free cash or time to play it at the moment. I still plan on giving it a go eventually.

It's a shame, it looked really unique.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020

Curious Expedition games are pretty popular and they fully embrace the pulpy exploration backdrop. Another pulp adventure strategy game Pathway, while not very popular and also not excellent, also got roughly three times more players in launch than The Lamplighters did.
That being said they are cheap indie games.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Sad to see, I didn't even know it was out before a couple youtubers put out promotion videos. That said I cannot see myself or really anyone paying full price for a new game like this with all the big hitters out there... Steam numbers really reflect that.

Because it's a great game, a big name, and a huge comeback for a starved fanbase!

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious Expedition games are pretty popular and they fully embrace the pulpy exploration backdrop. Another pulp adventure strategy game Pathway, while not very popular and also not excellent, also got roughly three times more players in launch than The Lamplighters did.
That being said they are cheap indie games.
Also, among physical card games, the Arkham Horror LCG is one of the most popular, and has been for years now.

The setting isn't the problem.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
After HBS knocked it out of the park with Shadowrun and especially Battletech I was surprised by how disappointing Lampyleague was. I wasn't in love with the setting but it was the demo that killed it for me. It's the worst parts of XCOM and Mutant Year Zero combined; I think the gameplay loop just didn't come together, and the really weird control scheme/UI (on KB&M) only made it feel worse.

It's a shame to see and I wish HBS the best.
Really? I saw it advertised constantly.
If you play any of the modern Paradox games, there's an ad for it built right into the Paradox Launcher. Other Paradox-published games like Age of Wonders 4 and Empire of Sin got advertised there too.

And geez, I forgot Empire of Sin existed. Maybe that setting is cursed...

Dec 3, 2022
Hopefully HBS comes out the other side of this.

80% or so of the studio was let go in July ( I was one of them!). There'll likely be some press about it eventually, but otherwise nothing's been reported/released yet, but you can find several ex-HBS people looking for work over LinkedIn the last couple months.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I was really hyped for it and downloaded day one and I wish I didnt

The game runs like shit and crashes all the time. Still do even post first patch.

It's a shame because I love HBS and you can see the game is good under the mountain of problems but it's kinda hard to argue the cold shoulder they're getting is undeserved. Shit just doesn't work doc

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I really, really like the gameplay, once it opens up, and the setting/tone/aesthetic/music is all good. The real-time segments that bookend the tactics aren't great, but the tactics are so much fun.

The issue is technical: it crashes all the time. I think I've figured out a 'fix': rely on the autosaves, not any manual saves at all. Bizarre, and I only keep with it cos I enjoy it so much. I know publishers need games to release etc etc, but such a glaring technical issue will just destroy a game.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Real bummer, I was kind of looking forward to it but the impressions were just not good sounding at all and there is too much else to play. I loved Shadowrun Dragonfall so it's a shame to see really.

Dec 3, 2022
I really, really like the gameplay, once it opens up, and the setting/tone/aesthetic/music is all good. The real-time segments that bookend the tactics aren't great, but the tactics are so much fun.

John Everist really knocked the music out of the park, and it can be really fun once you've tuned a team to their strengths/get to the point where you are near breaking enemy turns apart due to perks/Undrawn Hand hacks.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
80% or so of the studio was let go in July ( I was one of them!). There'll likely be some press about it eventually, but otherwise nothing's been reported/released yet, but you can find several ex-HBS people looking for work over LinkedIn the last few months.
Fucking hell, that's awful. I had no idea.

Hope y'all find a good home.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

The issue is technical: it crashes all the time. I think I've figured out a 'fix': rely on the autosaves, not any manual saves at all. Bizarre, and I only keep with it cos I enjoy it so much. I know publishers need games to release etc etc, but such a glaring technical issue will just destroy a game.
I'm waiting por patches but I'm not even sure if they are coming.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
80% or so of the studio was let go in July ( I was one of them!). There'll likely be some press about it eventually, but otherwise nothing's been reported/released yet, but you can find several ex-HBS people looking for work over LinkedIn the last couple months.

Very sorry to hear that

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

yikes

Nov 8, 2017
When the key art was 3 stylized characters surrounded by a horde of enemies, and is called "____ League" I simply assumed this was some form of competitive or cooperative multiplayer melee/shooter game.

I feel like it's a bit of a branding and/or marketing flub if I, a person who watches a bunch of gaming conferences, and buys almost every Paradox Game, and has a Gamepass Subscription, and enjoys X-Com style games, has no idea that this game which is on Gamepass and published by Paradox Interactive is actually that type of game.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I'm enjoying it well enough (I don't care for the setting normally due to the obvious racist/misogynistic history BUT this game immediately and consistently disregards that for the better), but I admit I definitely didn't buy it due to the technical issues and just went with gamepass (for comparison, I bought Lies of P so I could play it on my Steam Deck because it was so well optimized even with Gamepass availability).

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

John Everist really knocked the music out of the park, and it can be really fun once you've tuned a team to their strengths/get to the point where you are near breaking enemy turns apart due to perks/Undrawn Hand hacks.

I'm really sorry to hear of the layoffs. No wonder the game released with such issues, then! That sucks, especially as, as is often the case, you can feel the love put into the game. Gaming as a business can do one.

As you say, once tuned up the combos and snowballing is so much fun, and the characters all serve such great niches. My Ingrid is an absolute behemoth of death, and there are times where I'm like 'I need to kill 7 targets this round, before I get overwhelmed...' and lo, I do it. So many options and flair. It's great.

I'm waiting por patches but I'm not even sure if they are coming.

The Twitter says updates are coming (the first was a very limited hotfix, it turns out); given the above, I guess a skeleton crew is left at HBS :(

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Really liked the Shadowrun games. First time hearing of this. Looking at reviews, real-time stealth but turn-based combat sounds really awkward - would prefer if they had just gone fully turn-based. Also the name is weird and doesn't sound like it matches the genre.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Oof.
This autumn's a brutal time to release a less well-known game.

It was on my radar, but finances have been pretty awful, so I've had to push buying this back.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Really liked the Shadowrun games. First time hearing of this. Looking at reviews, real-time stealth but turn-based combat sounds really awkward - would prefer if they had just gone fully turn-based. Also the name is weird and doesn't sound like it matches the genre.

The real time bits aren't great, but frankly you're barely ever in them. You're either just exploring grabbing stuff, or in combat. The real-time stealth is an awkward, but brief, interlude between the two states.

It also does away with my main gripe from XCom, which is the start of an encounter where you're moving, turn-based, towards the objectives, over and over again, with nothing really happening.