Oct 25, 2017
After the success of "It", Paramount's getting into the Stephen King business:

"Starry Eyes" helmers Kevin Kolsch and Dennis Widmyer have been tapped to direct a "Pet Sematary" remake at the studio. Lorenzo di Bonaventura is producing the remake to the 1989 horror classic, which was directed by Mary Lambert and written by King, along with Steven Schneider. Matt Greenberg and David Kajganich wrote the script.

Paramount had been ramping up its director search since the success of "It" with directors like Shawn Carter and "47 Meters Down" helmer Johannes Roberts also meeting to possibly take on the role. Kolsch and Widmyer first gained notoriety with their 2014 indie horror pic "Starry Eyes," which caught the eyes of various studio execs and was partly funded by a successful Kickstarter campaign.

(source)

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Interesting. I don't know who they are, but here's hoping they'll do a good job.

I grew up loving Pet Sematary, and even Pet Sematary 2, after a friend introduced me to the first during a sleepover.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
A version without the insufferable Miko Hughes can only be a good thing.

Watch them cast him as the father

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
This is a remake / re imagining I welcome with open arms. The movie is so undercooked -- no build up, no chemistry between the family members, rushed. It was such a missed opportunity.

It could be a truly terrifying movie. And yeah, the wendigo needs to be the antagonist.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Shawn Carter? They want Jay Z to direct this?! would probably end up better than it would handing this over to the 47 Meters Down guy though, god damn was that movie a pile of crap.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen starry eyes - its actually pretty good.

Considering how viseral and scary I thought PS was when I saw it, this has big shoes to fill. But I'm keen!

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
This is a remake / re imagining I welcome with open arms. The movie is so undercooked -- no build up, no chemistry between the family members, rushed. It was such a missed opportunity.

It could be a truly terrifying movie. And yeah, the wendigo needs to be the antagonist.

Honestly, outside of The Shining, Stand By Me, and The Dead Zone almost all of the 80s King adaptations could stand to be revisited (and hell, two of those were).

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, outside of The Shining, Stand By Me, and The Dead Zone almost all of the 80s King adaptations could stand to be revisited (and hell, two of those were).

how are you forgetting Carrie though? which not only was already fantastic (and arguably the second best King adaptation), but it was revisited to mediocre results.

edit: ah my bad. didn't read the 80s part.

Last edited:

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, as a King fan, Carrie was 76. And it holds up! It features a really weird, ethereal quality that totally fits the novel while massively reinterpreting the storytelling.

To my view, as someone who read a good half of King's oeuvre (and keeps plugging away little by little) the good adaptations are -

Carrie (1976)
The Shining (1980) - though I am not opposed to an update that better reflects King's original views of the story; Kubrick changed a lot!
The Dead Zone (1983)
Stand By Me (1986)
Misery (1990)
The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - along with the Green Mile, it's a masterpiece
Dolores Claiborne (1995) - this one is severely underrated, both the film and the novel
The Green Mile (1999)
The Mist (2007)
11.22.63 (2016)
It (2017)
Gerald's Game (2017)

Note, I haven't seen 1922, The Dark Tower, or The Dark Half.

That leaves a good 80% of King's writing up for good adaptations. Some works are inherently prone to suffer, such as Cell and Dreamcatcher, because the novels themselves are questionable at best (I kind of liked the Cell novel, but wouldn't call it good).

To my thinking, the following ought to be revisited - Salem's Lot, Pet Sematary, The Stand, Cujo, Christine, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (make it YA, maybe animated in the style of the pop-up book that was released), From A Buick 8, and a host of short stories. I'd really focus on the short stories published in Everything's Eventual, especially "Autopsy Room Four" and "All That You Love Will Be Carried Away", the latter of which I think of as King's best story. Can't speak much to the last decade of output as I haven't gotten there.

Possumowner

Oct 27, 2017
Uk
The King train is in full motion...anyway I liked Starry Eyes and love the 1st Pet,hopefully they don't mess the remake up

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
First look from EW
https://ew.com/movies/2018/10/04/first-look-new-movie-stephen-king-pet-sematary/
More at the link

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty good

Also, the little girl on the right looks exactly like Christina Ricci lmao

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I can never tell if it's going to be a good movie if Jason Clarke is in it.
To touch on an old point, those directors are perfect for this. Starry Eyes had the kind of slow-burn pace, gross unsettling imagery, and dark themes that acted as a great test run for a movie like Pet Sematary

Clarke seems like he needs the right director to be great. He was good in Everest, Mudbound, and Planet of the Apes, and he's in First Man

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I'm a huge fan of the original film. It legitimately creeped me put as a kid. I watch it with my girlfriend every year or two out of nostalgia, I guess, but it is enjoyable in an offbeat way.

The book scared the shit out of me as a young teen, something I can't say about many other pieces of media.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
There are so many good Stephen King story's. Why can't they try something new?
Studios are. Tommyknockers, In The Tall Grass, Doctor Sleep, The Long Walk, Suffer the Little Children, and The Gingerbread Girl are all in the works, along with new adaptations of The Stand and Firestarter

Revival and The Talisman have been mentioned but not much else beyond talk