Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah every rest has been around 3 days for me, and I haven't seen an option to turn it down. Which is wild, considering the timer and the fact that the Market is apparently the hardest place but also on the way to all the other places.

9h for me. Try camping on the overworld map and see if that's shorter. Otherwise it must be tied to some skill not being high enough.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
There is a little check box in the rest screen you can use to turn off auto rest timer. Then you can fine tune how long you rest.
Oh lawd, thanks. I have no idea why that didn't click for me. I had hit the checkboxes before but for some reason the I II III didn't register with me.

edit: Oh, I see what it is. When you have your mouse over the checkbox, the tooltip pops up over part of the I II III, so I didn't notice them becoming clickable. If I had read the tooltip to the very bottom, I would have... but who does that

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
Holy shit. I found something I never knew about because this concept didn't exist in Kingmaker. I think I vaguely heard about it during the last beta phase, but I didn't participate in it personally.

All those books you find in the game? Some of them aren't just flavor text. If you read them while they're in your inventory (right click -> info), some grant you minor stat bonuses.

Here's one as an example.

unknown.png

These only appear to apply to the main character, however.

If you sold your books, get them back!

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Is this supposed to be able to apply negative scores?
5qNxpLA.png
Because it doesn't read like it, but it does, and it's kind of killing my build
LO9BW47.png
It should not be giving you an AC penalty for having an Int penalty. That's what the "(if any)" means (you don't have an Int bonus, you have an Int penalty). This seems like a bug and is worth reporting (no idea where to do that though, sorry)

That said, I don't understand what your build is trying to do if you've got 6 Int as a Magus. You literally shouldn't be able to cast spells at that Int (you should need 10 + spell level to cast a spell, so 11 Int minimum to cast a first level spell). I've gotta be missing something here: how's your build make this work? Is this a one-level dip for... something? But like... the best thing to dip Sword Saint for is Canny Defense!

(note: I'm not playing the game, I'm living vicariously through y'all, I just play Pathfinder tabletop. Maybe there's bugs, or maybe Owlcat decided to toss out the Int requirement rule for some reason? I dunno)

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
It should not be giving you an AC penalty for having an Int penalty. That's what the "(if any)" means (you don't have an Int bonus, you have an Int penalty). This seems like a bug and is worth reporting (no idea where to do that though, sorry)
Thanks, reported. You can press Alt+B any time in game to report a bug, for anyone else who's reading and playing.

That said, I don't understand what your build is trying to do if you've got 6 Int as a Magus. You literally shouldn't be able to cast spells at that Int (you should need 10 + spell level to cast a spell, so 11 Int minimum to cast a first level spell). I've gotta be missing something here: how's your build make this work? Is this a one-level dip for... something? But like... the best thing to dip Sword Saint for is Canny Defense!

(note: I'm not playing the game, I'm living vicariously through y'all, I just play Pathfinder tabletop. Maybe there's bugs, or maybe Owlcat decided to toss out the Int requirement rule for some reason? I dunno)
Halfling 2H Finesse Elk Rider
vhgXnnD.png

Just taking Sword Saint for the exotic weapon proficiency and Weapon Focus. Dumped STR, INT, and CHA. I could take Cavalier/Gendarme instead and lose out on a feat in exchange for an animal level and full BAB, but I'd rather have the 2 good feats... assuming one doesn't cost me -3 AC between my INT penalty and mutagen.

edit: then again if I take Gendarme, I can get Dazzling Display for free down the line and not have to wait for Shatter Defenses and go Gendarme on the back end instead of Demonslayer... but then I won't get Dreadful Carnage... so maybe I should.... but then....

and this is how my days have been going

Last edited:

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
Ah, people are finally uploading the full OST to YouTube. I was so fascinated by the OST back during the alpha and beta phases, though this is coming from someone who went into Kingmaker with low expectations and ended up being blown away there too.

WotR has so many battle themes, you basically heard new combat themes every chapter during the beta.

Chapter 3 contains my personal favorite of all of the standard combat themes.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Oct 28, 2017
I guess I am 0.5% of the player base to defeat the Water Element in the Maze!
(why is it soo less?)
cXdkHRR.png

Edit
Holy shit. I found something I never knew about because this concept didn't exist in Kingmaker. I think I vaguely heard about it during the last beta phase, but I didn't participate in it personally.
All those books you find in the game? Some of them aren't just flavor text. If you read them while they're in your inventory (right click -> info), some grant you minor stat bonuses.

Here's one as an example.
These only appear to apply to the main character, however.
If you sold your books, get them back!

I also got one in the Prologue which increased my two handed melee attack by +1 or something.
Tome of the Minotaur: Sermons from the Labyrinth

nmrHNKe.png

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
(why is it soo less?)

It's bugged, if you check at other places you'll see a higher number. Probably some sort of caching issue. I saw the same thing yesterday (on Steam).

HrA5VH9.png

The "Tome of Minotaur" book is +1 attack for Glaives specificially IIRC.

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
(why is it soo less?)
cXdkHRR.png

The default difficulty is one or two below Core so it's probably because of that, since most players are going to stick with that or custom. I beat them but didn't get it since I'm on whatever the default was.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Oh really? That sucks, I play normal with disabled auto-level-up for companions, which is kinda stupid...

It's what I have seen mentioned few times. They also added flag that if game detect any mods then also all achievements get disabled.

Personally I get mod decision, but having all achievements nuke themselves if you do custom is imo stupid. At minimum story progression / key moment achievements should pop no matter what as they aren't tied to preset difficulties.

Oct 31, 2017
CUT

The natural state of the combat seemed balanced around the assumption players would have every buff and debuff rolling with 100% uptime. Mechanically that type of all-or-nothing game design is absolutely miserable to play moment-to-moment. If a game is supposed to be a series of interesting decisions, then I can say with confidence that Kingmaker's combat was an unending series of uninteresting decisions.
I share the sentiment.
Said pretty much the same in the past (not only in this forum).
It's not even just a matter of "difficulty", in general, as much as how many of the encounters in the game seem to be either purposefully designed to make the players miserable or alternatively with a poor understanding of the notion of "gradual introduction".
It's a recurring theme in both the Owlcat titles that stat and level drains or other type of crippling status effects are almost regularly introduced before the player has access to the tools necessary to deal with them (or to protect from them reliably).

And to be clear, we aren't even talking of cases where "It's tough because you were supposed to come back later". Often some of these encounters are a one-time thing you get one chance to deal with or miss entirely (i.e. the Water elemental).

Owlcat also seems to despise the concept of "pacing" and "room to breath". Like, how many "borderline" setups do you want to push inside the same area?
I often described the encounters as "over-tuned" and what I meant with it is that the number, threat level, stats of most enemies is almost comically above what you should be able to handle at any given level.

I'm not saying it's impossible to get by (after all I managed so far), but sometimes you can't help it but get the feeling that you are dealing with the equivalent of a prick DM who's being gratuitously antagonistic with his party and is there just to get his "gotcha moment" against the players rather than to engage and entertain them.

Oh well, ranting aside I'm still loving the game for the most part.
And maybe some of the worst passages in the next hours that I'm thinking about have already been toned down from the beta, too? Who knows.

Last edited:

Sarek

Oct 27, 2017
Is it even possible to beat this water elemental in the maze? It feels like a mean joke at level 2. He hits like a truck and can wipe out my whole party in either two turns of combat or about 8 seconds in RtwP mode. Plus with the damage reduction my rogue is doing 0 damage every attack when they actually do hit.

It is very doable fight at least on Core difficulty.
I buffed Seelah with Barskin (scroll), Bull's Strength (scroll), Potion of Divine Favor, and then used Bless (Scroll) on the whole party and Prayer (scroll) against the elemental. After those buffs and debuffs the elemental rarely could hit Seelah who was tanking. Took couple tries because if he did manage to get a hit in even Seelah dropped quickly.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
(why is it soo less?)
cXdkHRR.png

Edit

I also got one in the Prologue which increased my two handed melee attack by +1 or something.
Tome of the Minotaur: Sermons from the Labyrinth

nmrHNKe.png
well that's annoying I read it from the loot menu and didn't get it. I checked with an old save buying the book back from the vendor in the maze. Maybe I'll run across them again above ground. It might 2 handed martial weapons as it doesn't show up with my longspear but can't try it out. There's text saying my PC learned something from it.

Oct 31, 2017
Oh great, the fight in the Pitaxian Wine Cellar against that bunch of Wights and Cairn Wights wasn't annoying bullshit enough with all that gratuitous level drain without them bugging out with infinite health...

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Market Square is crash city. Each time there's some kind of interactive event with an object that leads to either a memory or some kind of character(s) running off, there's a high chance the game will just outright crash. With how many fights are in the area...save often.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I guess I've been lucky. Beside some pathfinding issues and minor graphical glitches no crashes or serious bugs.

Wine Cellar 1st try was shit show but 2nd try and better front liners position and Ember spamming burning hands was easy victory.

I'm playing on Core.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
This game writes a couple of logs, and the "Player.log" is a weird one.

After just one session mine is megabytes of the line "StoreStats - success". Seems very much like an errant debug log line.

It also saves a "combatLog.txt", for some reason.

Last edited:

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Ok why does a witch with a +3 to dex and a -4 to attack rolls start with Point Blank shot and precise shot as feats when you add her to your party?

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
So I'm trying to follow the anointed knight build from this link in the OP: https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/builds/Main_Character#Anointed_Knight

If I've understood it correctly I need to start as a Monk and then switch to Paladin at level 2? Is it obvious how to switch? Like is this a decision I make when the level pops, or do I need to go somewhere to do it?

It will be obvious. When you gain a level, a little gold "+" will appear on your character portrait at the bottom of the screen. Clicking it will take you to the level-up menu, where you can choose to take a level in any class for which you qualify (which will be a ton). Pick paladin. Then keep doing it every time you level up.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Nevermind. Need to actually level up a companion before you can respec them, even if they join you at a higher level.

Last edited:

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Being as vague as possible, finished up the defense mission without losing anything. That type of fight isn't really this games strength, but oh well, it's over. One thing I have to say, I'm loving this game like crazy, but my group still feels like something slapped together that I never would have wanted, as far as class composition. The early group in KM was much more defined.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Owlcat are done fucking around.

Still in the city and already finding enemies that are ability draining me to death.
SwEgB1g.gif

Loving the game, more QOL improvements than I expected.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
It's always a pain early when all you have is lesser restoration. 😁 Was drained 4 con and 4 dex, each cast of lesser restoration removed 1 point of attribute damage. 🥴

Oct 31, 2017
It's always a pain early when all you have is lesser restoration. 😁 Was drained 4 con and 4 dex, each cast of lesser restoration removed 1 point of attribute damage. 🥴
Oh well, Ability draining is nothing.
Level draining before getting access to proper Restoration (or abilities to defend from it) is where the rage begins.
See previous rant few replies above...

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I'm really loving this game so far. Got a very uneven party right now, don't really even have a tank per se, but the game has been pretty easy on normal so far so I'll stick with the companions that are interesting to me.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any indication of how much time is left after you leave the tavern for the first time before the "event"?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I rested a bunch after the Marketplace but didn't go anywhere else. Now the tavern is being attacked. Am i screwed out of certain quests? Do i need to load an old save??

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Ember has -4 to weapon attack rolls - spells still benefit from the Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot feats without being penalised.
that's what I thought at first but the description convinced me otherwise, PBS mentions being for ranged weapons as does precise shot.

I remember now why I spent so much time reading how stuff works outside of the Kingmaker game.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
Oh really? That sucks, I play normal with disabled auto-level-up for companions, which is kinda stupid...

It's what I have seen mentioned few times. They also added flag that if game detect any mods then also all achievements get disabled.

Personally I get mod decision, but having all achievements nuke themselves if you do custom is imo stupid. At minimum story progression / key moment achievements should pop no matter what as they aren't tied to preset difficulties.

I'm playing a custom difficulty and still getting achievements, although quite a few of them require you to be playing on Core or higher which just isn't going to happen at my skill level. I have both progression achievements (finishing main quests) and feats (save all tavern buildings, etc).

I don't have any mods beyond custom portraits, however. So that bit still could be true.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I had no idea. This counts for any targetted range spell?

Those two are def a good thing to have if you have enough feats to fit those in. I think you can argue stuff like spell penetration, spell spec, and metamagic can be more important. Actually unless you're doing a lot of touch spells on enemies, , ( enemies touch AC are always like really low so later on in the game you're not really going to miss those spells at all so a respec is probably good) then I'd argue all those are way more important. If you have a wizard or sorc with precious few feats get those spell penetrations, spell school specs and metamagics going.

Sorry I should add, it's for targeted range spells like ray spells and touch spells. Thing is ray spells are like the goat single target dps so. Those feats are sometimes useful.

Last edited:

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so good at this game...my mom always said I was special!
Iuj41gd.png

KBR8eE2.png

...I am such a fucking dumbass.

Oct 31, 2017
I was just checking the achievement list on Steam, ordered by percentage, and I noticed one called Prelate's nemesis about killing the Nabasu demon in the streets of Kenabres at core difficulty or more...
Well, I actually did it (Market, when you fight the necromant shopkeeper the first time) and the achievement didn't unlock.
Is there more than one or is it just bugged.

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
that's what I thought at first but the description convinced me otherwise, PBS mentions being for ranged weapons as does precise shot.

I remember now why I spent so much time reading how stuff works outside of the Kingmaker game.
For gameplay purposes, any spell that requires a ranged touch attack is technically sort of a ranged weapon - you can sneak attack with them, for example.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
For gameplay purposes, any spell that requires a ranged touch attack is technically sort of a ranged weapon - you can sneak attack with them, for example.

Ah, I remember being a spellcaster in Kingmaker doing dip in vivisectionist. Those sneak attack ray spells were quite something indeed lol.

Also I don't think rays are counted as ranged touched right? they're just go by your attack roll. So yeah, any spell that goes by attack roll get affected by feats like precise shot. Including bombs from alchemist.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Check the log if anyone isn't sure about the spell. It will say -4 attacking into combat or something like that.

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I love the setting and characters in the Pathfinder games so far. I just am HORRIBLE at understanding the underlying systems and mechanics that make or break how functional and robust your character/party setup is from a combat perspective. I get overwhelmed really easily with how much there is to think about. I wish I had that min/max mindset to just explore every nook and cranny of every ability, stat and item, but it seems daunting. Ultimately the game is still awesome, just wish I could wrap my head around it better.

What I did in Kingmaker was lower the difficulty for awhile while trying to learn as much as I could about the systems. You can absolutely learn as you go. When you get more comfortable with more of the systems up the difficulty. Eventually you'll get to core. That is what worked for me at least.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
What I did in Kingmaker was lower the difficulty for awhile while trying to learn as much as I could about the systems. You can absolutely learn as you go. When you get more comfortable with more of the systems up the difficulty. Eventually you'll get to core. That is what worked for me at least.
Thanks for the reply, I'll give that a shot!

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Question about an earlyish game quest (Horus Gwerm's mansion)

I noticed there are a number of hints in his mansion alluding to torture implements, collars, and other unsavory stuff, but it doesn't seem to come up at all once the quest is resolved. There's also the magically locked door on the 2nd floor that still won't open after the quest is done. Did I miss something?

Oct 31, 2017
Question about an earlyish game quest (Horus Gwerm's mansion)

I noticed there are a number of hints in his mansion alluding to torture implements, collars, and other unsavory stuff, but it doesn't seem to come up at all once the quest is resolved. There's also the magically locked door on the 2nd floor that still won't open after the quest is done. Did I miss something?
No, but we are all guessing it will be tied to some "shocking" reveal about Cammalia's true nature and her not-suspicious-at-all need to use an amulet to hide her true alignment.