• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Back in the 1960s some young African Americans in Oakland, California responded to police overreach by following the police and observing arrests. They called themselves the Black Panthers. And they were armed to the teeth legally. Their armed patrols and an open carry protest at the state capital alarmed the authorities so much that in 1967 the state instituted an open-carry ban. Ironically, It was signed into law by then Governor Ronald Reagan
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/i...ence-more-african-americans-look-to-bear-arms

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"You still a Nigger" will still trump any right you think you might have.

OP
OP
Chief Malik
The National African American Gun Association, known as NAAG, has tripled its chapters from 14 to 42 since President Donald Trump's inauguration, as more people of color join gun clubs and refute the NRA. Some say they are defending themselves against racism and supporting a call to arms amid a civil rights struggle. NewsHour Weekend Special Correspondent Simon Ostrovsky reports.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I keep saying it, if you want meaningful gun control laws to be placed in effect immediately, get as many black people as you can to legally register themselves as gun owners, sign up for concealed carry and legally purchase a gun and proper gun safety equipment (primarily gun safes).

The GOP would push gun control overnight.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Makes gun control and getting shot for being black more likely.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I tried to get my license before they revoked lifetime licenses.

imagine all these white people buying guns and we don't.

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Does anyone know how to obtain silencers? I think I might want one.

Or hell, get me the hell out of this country & into somewhere else like Canada or Norway.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Makes complete sense. It's why I'm not entirely down with gun control. The ones who really need weapons are blacks, Hispanics, the LGBT, and other minorities. That and it's almost a given that any gun control laws will disproportionately affect minorities.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happened when the Black Panthers bought up guns in Cali?

Reagan instituted massive gun control to combat them

Shit's always been funny to me

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't begrudge anyone owning or wanting to own a gun. But don't fall into that trap of those good old boys running around in the woods thinking they can take the government if they really want to.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Okay now lets set up Asian American and Hispanic gun clubs
Suddenly, guns are not cool anymore

I mean, I know you're joking, but yeah, set them up.

Like, real talk, it's too late now, but Remmington and Smith and Wessen, prior to their bankruptcy filings, should have been requesting all people of color sign up for gun training and for all shooting ranges to give deep discounts to new members.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Sadly just going to lead to far more black people getting shot for no reason. :/

What they're gonna kill us twice?

Someone wanna get that "shot for doing ____ while black" list out again?

Shit man, we're coming off "getting shot for being in your own back yard with a cellphone while being black". Shit's already bad.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Black People try and follow police instructions, get shot and blamed for it
Black People arm themselves in the face of racial violence, get shot and blamed for it

It's a lose/lose situation, always has been

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see anything wrong with anyone responsibly exercising their 2nd Amendment right.
I do wonder if the NRA will celebrate more legal gun ownership among people of color...
They should of course, but after what they did with the Philando Castile murder, I have doubts.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see anything wrong with anyone responsibly exercising their 2nd Amendment right.
I do wonder if the NRA will celebrate more legal gun ownership among people of color...
They should of course, but after what they did with the Philando Castile case, I have doubts.
You know they won't.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Tangentially related and interesting mini-documentary from Vice on black women creating an alternative to the NRA for black women gun owners.

The National African American Gun Association, known as NAAG, has tripled its chapters from 14 to 42 since President Donald Trump's inauguration, as more people of color join gun clubs and refute the NRA. Some say they are defending themselves against racism and supporting a call to arms amid a civil rights struggle. NewsHour Weekend Special Correspondent Simon Ostrovsky reports.
This is what's up.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like guns, but I am for equalizing the balance of power. What sucks is that all the money involved in these gun sales is very likely not going towards pro-Black organizations. And black people with guns are still gonna get treated differently by law enforcement.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Black People try and follow police instructions, get shot and blamed for it
Black People arm themselves in the face of racial violence, get shot and blamed for it

It's a lose/lose situation, always has been
Yeah, I was going to say that this would lead to more shootings being tossed out as justified. But that shit is going to happen anyway, so to hell with it. Black people have a right and a reason to arm themselves.

Deleted member 16609

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
I mean you saw what happen when minorities started arming themselves throughout history in the United States. From Marino Russo to The Black Panther party. The way things are, this is good.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you saw what happen when minorities started arming themselves throughout history in the United States. From Marino Russo to The Black Panther party. The way things are, this is good.
I mean... gun control in america is literally a response to black people arming themselves. And the coup that rewrote the edict of the NRA to what it is now was over black people arming themselves as well.

So the push for and against gun control are both facets of black oppression.

There's a really great episode of the Radiolab More Perfect podcast that goes into this history in depth: http://www.radiolab.org/story/radiolab-presents-more-perfect-gun-show/

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yea, we're here. I'll have to look into NAAG.

As I said before, if any group in America should be looking to own guns (so long as they remain legal), its black Americans. Along with Native Americans, no group has been more tortured, harassed, and damaged by those in power or with power. History has shown we need to protect ourselves, as law enforcement tends to be slow to protect us...and sometimes they themselves end up being the enemy.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a reading list I usually post in these threads but yeah man, kudos to them for being smart and strapping up, just in case.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

One of the less-spoken issues of the NRA is that they have what is essentially a monopoly. You wanna weaken them the good ol' capitalist way, you introduce competition, and let the invisible hand of the market sort them out. If you build it, they will come, as the saying goes.