Will Gaben's Index bidding slay thy Forum?

• You're grasping at straws, bub. Little tiny made-for-Trump's hands sized straws.

Votes: 176 57.0%
  • Hey, it could happen.

Votes: 133 43.0%

• Total voters

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
https://www.pcgamer.com/half-life-VR-rumor-index/

Valve is going to reveal the specs of its VR headset, the Valve Index, very soon, and we have good reason to believe it'll reveal some VR games along with it—one of which is rumored to be a Half-Life game.

Valve told me on April 1 that it was "targeting May 1st for pre orders and a full announcement" of the Valve Index. That plan may have changed (especially because the Borderlands 3 gameplay reveal is also happening this week), but the announcement will probably happen soon, because Valve also told me that it wants to start shipping hardware in June. I've asked Valve if this Wednesday is still the big day, and will update this post if I hear back.

We also know for sure that Valve has been working on three VR games, which Gabe Newell described as full-sized games (as opposed to tech demo-like projects such as The Lab) in February 2017. "We think we can make three big VR games," Newell said at the time. "We think that we know enough now to do that, and we're going to find out if that's the case. We're pretty sure that all the other game developers are going to learn positive or negative lessons from what we do, which is sort of where we have to be right now."

I give it at least a 10% chance that boners fly and old dreams die.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
We are likely getting a game in the Half Life universe so idk. I think it will do something to ERA but I don't think the PC gaming community on here is that big.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The meltdown over Half Life VR is going to be nuclear. I cannot wait. Looking forward to getting the game running on my Rift too whenever it comes out, think I'll sit out the Index for a while.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
For my own emotional sake, I'll assume Half Life VR is not a thing. It's easier that way.

Plus I'm not in a position to buy a desktop or really want VR yet.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
If Half Life 3 had to be a thing, it has to be VR.

Anyone who dont want it to be is against technical progress.

It might be the first AA/AAA full VR game with hand controls/finger tracking.

Jan 2, 2018
I think, if there was to be a HL3, Valve would probably do some crazy ARG campaign around it and plant clues all over the internet.
I guess that game is maybe some VR version of HL2 or something.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be like the Steam VR places app where you throw a stick for a cute little robot dog. Only it'll be throwing crates with a gravity gun for the big dog from HL2.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Interested in the hardware but in terms of software I can't muster any excitement for Valve titles anymore. They'll probably put out some short showcases for their hardware that'll show off some neat ideas but nothing that'll make any lasting impact.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eh. If it's a game in the HL universe, I'm pretty much resigned to it being not in any way resembling what I would want from a new Half Life game.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% getting into PCVR in the future, but I'm waiting to see what Valve's games are, how much Index is and whether it makes the experience significantly better before I buy in.

For the time being I am 100% sold on Rift S, but that could change soon. If the rumours of a new Half-Life game are true, regardless of whether it's a sequel, prequel or something else, I'm very excited.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
its tricky - index controllers may be so different that high end gamers and game devs want to buy/support them, but more regular VR games will still have to cover the much larger population of stick/touchpad based PCVR like Rift/Vive. There will be some quick wins like social games etc but it could be difficult to get significant specific support for index controllers outside of a few titles?

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
If it actually continues the story but it's vr only I will be a bit annoyed. Just a tiny bit.

OP
OP
Quample

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
its tricky - index controllers may be so different that high end gamers and game devs want to buy/support them, but more regular VR games will still have to cover the much larger population of stick/touchpad based PCVR like Rift/Vive. There will be some quick wins like social games etc but it could be difficult to get significant specific support for index controllers outside of a few titles?

Index controllers have both stick and touchpad, so no problem there. Beyond that I'm sure Valve will make some sort of plugin for finger tracking, but you're right in that devs will still have to make object interactions more advanced if they want to fully utilize the controllers.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I fucking love Valve games (that aren't dota or that card game), but I'm not sure if I'd be interested in VR-only offerings, nor if they'd make HL3 VR exclusive.
If they allow both though...

Deleted member 412

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely believe we will be getting a new Half-Life game soon enough, just not the sequel/conclusion we've been expecting. I honestly wouldn't mind a reboot in terms of main characters (except for G-man — there's gotta be a G-man on some level, dammit) set in the same universe.

At the same time, I don't have any real expectations. I have long ago accepted that there might not ever be a new Half-Life game ever again.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
I personally don't really care if it's Half-Life, Portal or a new IP. I just want Valve to release the Index Knuckles alongside with their own software to showcase never seen gameplay mechanics.

A meltdown is pretty much a given at this point regardless of what Valve is going to show. If they don't announce Half-Life VR people are going to be really disappointed but if they announce it, then a lot of console only players will be pissed that it's a PCVR exclusive.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't really care if it's Half-Life, Portal or a new IP. I just want Valve to release the Index Knuckles alongside with their own software to showcase never seen gameplay mechanics.

A meltdown is pretty much a given at this point regardless of what Valve is going to show. If they don't announce Half-Life VR people are going to be really disappointed but if they announce it, then a lot of console only players will be pissed that it's a PCVR exclusive.

Why would they expect a console VR version ? Or even a console version to begin with ?

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Half-Life VR will be that rumored prequel either way, so I am not gonna be that excited because of the Cliffhanger and the price of the headset and PV to play it most likely.