• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
www.pcgamer.com

The true Nvidia RTX legacy isn't ray tracing, it's DLSS

It's been 3 years since the first Nvidia RTX cards launched, but the legacy of DLSS has had far more impact on our gaming experience than ray tracing.

Three years on and it's safe to say that ray tracing hasn't gone away. In fact it's everywhere, in practically every gaming platform apart from certain handhelds. Despite the negative Nelsons out there decrying the computationally expensive nature of real-time ray tracing, it has been adopted across the board.

It's just not necessarily as transformative a feature as it might have first appeared. I mean, it is just simulated lighting after all. Nor has it always been used to the greatest effect either.

But the fact remains that, as much as the latest Nvidia RTX 30-series cards have alleviated a lot of the silicon burden of ray tracing, it's still computationally demanding, and you will see a performance penalty for turning on the realistic lighting effects in-game. That's especially true in the case of AMD, and therefore the consoles' implementation of the technology.

I'm still of the opinion that ray tracing is just getting started, and is something that will eventually become such a ubiquitous part of gaming's rich feature set that the idea of listing a game as 'featuring ray tracing' will become as pointless as listing that it needs 3D acceleration.

We can't talk about the years since the first RTX cards launched without mentioning the GPU shortage-shaped woolly mammoth in the room. While ray tracing does offer some lovely visuals, it's not necessary in any sense of the word. And when new, high-end GPUs are more expensive, and harder to get hold of than they've ever been, a technology which demands you sacrifice the finite computational power of the card at your disposal in the name of more accurate lighting, is always going to struggle.

But a feature which takes the likes of the RTX 2060 from years back, and gives it a healthy performance boost to the point where it can make modern games actually playable, has got to feel like a winner.

DLSS is obviously not perfect, however. It has to be built into a game by the developers themselves, and though that has gotten easier with subsequent iterations, it's not a feature which you can just enable in any game and get a free fps bump.

But it is undoubtedly the legacy of Nvidia's RTX era that has ended up having the most direct impact on PC gamers. And that's true whether they're using DLSS, FSR, or will end up taking a new Alchemist GPU for a spin with XeSS.

Have to agree that DLSS has been a game-changer, at least for me. RTX is obviously nice, but DLSS has felt like the bigger breakthrough in tech.

Last edited:

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Totally agreed.

I only got my 3080 for downsampling after 1080p to have this as a flipside of something I like doing as breathed life in to a lot of games I gave up on due to a lack of consistent performance.

RTX or RT won't be exploited for gens considering the impact it can have. it's like expecting 3d gaming to match 2d gaming when it showed up. RT has bigger implication in how you calter a title be it seen or unseen or manipulate it with data it gives out than us getting shiny reflections or really good global illumination. It will take gens to have both graphical and effects based from it show up in gaming at a high level.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to argue. DLSS still feels like wizardry sometimes. Absolutely love that it exists.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
RTX is nice to have, I love it in Minecraft and some games it really is a nice upgrade to the visuals thanks to the better reflections and the like.

DLSS is a game changer though. It breathes life into older cards and let them lunch above their weight with things like higher resolutions or RT without the loss of FPS that would come with them. I hope Intel's solution is as good and works for as many hardware config as possible because this sort of stuff should be in every game.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
100%, AMD hopefully steps up its game because having a low powered device like The Switch, and being able to output to a higher resolution to play games on a Tv would be the dream.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
DLSS for now.

RTX for later.

Edit: one could postulate that ray tracing was an inevitability, but realtime AI upscaling was an unknown variable just 5 years ago, so it feeeeeels like more of an innovation.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Edit: one could postulate that ray tracing was an inevitability, but realtime AI upscaling was an unknown variable just 5 years ago, so it feeeeeels like more of an innovation.

Not even a could since the 80's that throne for RT has been built and it is awaiting a king.

AI upscaling and even non AI based upscaling was seen as a joke largely until PS4.

It's magic. We effectively better get presentation of any amount of density using less pixels and more performance. Nobody saw it coming outside of those investing in it.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I find I keep it off a lot cause of some of the weird issue it causes. For instance I can't seem to see the rain in death stranding if dlss is on, it's weird.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to disagree

DLSS is demonstrating the way forward for real-time rendering and how things like ray tracing, 4K+ resolutions, and continually increasing bandwidth requirements are going to be manageable in the future. It's a remarkable tech that solves a lot of issues simultaneously.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
It sucks that nearly all the games that I play/care about do not support it.

The truth

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
5o6p27.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
For the love of god devs, please don't shy away from DLSS now that FSR is around. Both can exist, and DLSS is just so damn good.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
DLSS has made my 2070 Super a much better purchase for the long run and made ray tracing viable for virtually every title that has it. Funny looking back and thinking at the time it was overpriced at launch.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
But would DLSS have gotten as much positive attention if not FOR the computationally intensive needs of raytracing? Sure, it would have helped people hit rasterized 4K easier, but the thing that gets the headlines is "wow, this looks so good with raytracing AND i'm still hitting 60 fps!".

OP
OP
Lashley

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I think DLSS would've still made an impact, even without raytracing, yeah.

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's definitely the future of PC gaming at least for now anyways with how impossible it is to obtain a 3k card without buying an extremely overpriced one from scalpers off ebay.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Hope we get a second tier of DLSS that's good enough for non RTX GPUs. If we don't, I will always cheer for devs to choose XeSS over DLSS.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
It's easily my favorite and most used feature of RTX. And it's still in its earlier stages. It can only improve.

Oct 29, 2017
This is the only reason I am wanting to upgrade my 1080 TI to a 3080. I couldn't give two shits about ray tracing. Give me DLSS.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Hard to really argue against the article. DLSS is the thing that will make current, last gen, and even older GPUs age like fine wine.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying that they are, just that the two technologies are intimately intertwined, and you can't really consider the impact of one without also considering the impact of the other.
Well, if the question is, "would DLSS be making waves if it wasn't complimented so well by the advent of real-time raytracing"... then let's imagine a world just like ours, where nvidia never figured out real-time raytracing, and DLSS stands on its own.

Hypothetically, do you imagine that DLSS isn't as notable in that world?

A novel new upscaling technique that significantly enhances the performance, efficiency, and longevity of any hardware that supports it, without significantly degrading image quality.

I think the PC gamers and PC gaming outlets of that world would still be talking about it, a lot. I think the console gamers of that world are still jazzed about new upscaling techniques that could blow open the doors of what console hardware is capable of over time. Switch owners of that world are definitely still dreaming of a successor handheld powered by new nvidia hardware which leverages DLSS to produce high-fidelity results.

Raytracing is a solid showcase for the extent to which DLSS enables hardware to punch above its weight, but DLSS is used to achieve many different ends. That DLSS grants enough extra headroom to counteract raytracing's performance cost is a notable application, but far from the only noteworthy one.

I mean, shit... TAA is in damn near every AAA game these days, and as great as TAA is... at resolutions that aren't 4K or near, you'll usually be left with a blurred or softened image, unless you take advantage of downsampling, or use a sharpening filter. Downsampling modern games for cleaner image quality would often have been a non-starter for me and my 1080p 144hz screen and 2070 S, at least without dropping settings or sacrificing framerate - but DLSS lets me do just that, and the results typically look fantastic, noticeably cleaner than native-res at equivalent settings without DLSS.

That's one common application of DLSS, but it shares an important commonality with all of DLSS's other gaming-related applications - that it's enabled by the enhancement to performance and headroom that DLSS provides. That's where the impact is, when you're finally in a game, and you throw on DLSS, and suddenly you've got all these extra frames you can use - or you're looking forward to playing an upcoming game, with settings and res/framerate dialed higher than you'd have previously thought possible with your setup. Raytracing is an obvious thing to spend that headroom toward, and an obvious way to show people just how much performance potential DLSS can free up... but this is PC gaming we're talking about. Boosting framerate, or keeping framerate with boosted settings, or raising resolution, etc. etc... it's all on the table, and all of it is compelling stuff to PC gamers, in relatively equal measure.

If anything... in terms of impact on the industry overall, raytracing has gained much more from DLSS, than DLSS has gained from raytracing. It wasn't long ago, at all, that people generally regarded raytracing as something that wasn't presently worth the massive performance tradeoff that it incurred. Even people who were truly hyped for what raytracing was capable of, still regarded raytracing as tech that sat just beyond the horizon, a novelty which might as well only exist for those privileged or lucky enough to drop hundreds or thousands of dollars on the most bleeding-edge hardware. Now, raytracing is a viable option for quite a few more users - and developers - because of DLSS... and so is 4K gaming. And so is 144hz and beyond. And so is max settings. And so is 4K-capable handheld gaming. And so is a launch GeForce 2060, in 2021 and beyond.

And, like... that's just DLSS, and just gaming, to boot. AI image upscaling in general carries a lot of potential across a wide range of devices and applications, and we'll see that more and more over the next couple of years and decades. It's hard for me to see raytracing as something so integral to DLSS's perception, when nvidia has always presented DLSS first and foremost as a means by which to gain performance and headroom, which can then be used for whatever you want. That's some compelling stuff no matter how you slice it. Like, with or without raytracing to bolster it, AI upscaling would sell itself. Its core function (higher performance with minimal cost to image quality) is so attractive and so useful for gaming, that it's extremely easy to imagine AI upscaling growing into a ubiquitous technology present in every future gaming device on its own merit.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
For the love of god devs, please don't shy away from DLSS now that FSR is around. Both can exist, and DLSS is just so damn good.
With how much work Nvidia is doing to make DLSS accessible and easy to implement, I don't see DLSS doing anything but increasing in the number of games which support it.

I mean at the end of the day it still has a native Unity and Unreal plug-in.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
DLSS has made the 2000 series a lot more relevant; at launch it was absolutely awful value compared to the 1000 series, but it's aged decently well now

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
RTX will be more important long run. Cuts down on game development cost.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I would agree too, but shame exclusivity deals are a thing that prevent it. Really I see anything that has RT support should have it, but FC6 isn't seemingly supporting it nor GodFall for two examples I can think of.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I mean ofcourse, one is Nvidia's invention the other is basically DXR.

Now that I think of it, despite how Nvidia surprised everyone with RT, it was always going to happen. Maybe a gen later but considering AMD managed to jump on it so quickly that PS5 and Series got it too, they had to have had their own R&D going.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah DLSS is to resolution what VRR is to Refresh Rate, finally we aren't bound to fixed values anymore.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
Trully amazing thing, still can't believe how good is 2.0 version!

Btw do we need internet connection for DLSS to be working, i wonder about this, i feel like it cannot work?

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Trully amazing thing, still can't believe how good is 2.0 version!

Btw do we need internet connection for DLSS to be working, i wonder about this, i feel like it cannot work?
Works Offline, It's just a Machine Learning system that just needs to be implemented on a per-game basis but you can use it whenever.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both are pretty badass. Especially when you can offset the cost of rt with dlss like in control, metro exodus and doom eternal.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Agreed. I still find ray tracings contribution to visuals mostly very meh. DLSS since version 2.0 though is super great.

Oct 27, 2017
The RTX suite is rad for sure, so when it came time to pick a gaming laptop there was never any doubt I'd get something in that family.

I got a laptop with an i7 11800h and a 3060 and that thing has been amazing. Yes, I'm running stuff at 1080p, but to play Control with the ray tracing at medium and most of the settings at high and it rarely dipping below 60 is a thing of beauty.

AMD's solution, FSR?, Is no slouch either and I really appreciate that it's useable on Nvidia and Intel cards.

This kind of shit is very much the future.