Votes: 80 5.9%
  • Golden Era FPS

Votes: 144 10.6%
  • Doom Clone

Votes: 239 17.6%

• Total voters

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
I love boomer shooters and the name fits them perfectly. No change!

If we were to change things, character action to spectacle fighter please!
Yah people should be glad retro inspired fpses started out the gate with a decent name. DMC/Bayonetta/MGR etc still struggling for a good genre name forever (character action game? stylish action game?), and metroidvania is kind of a cluster fuck of a name.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Boomer shooter devs call them boomer shooters, so they should be boomer shooters.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Bommer shooter is peak word formation, no need to alter it one bit.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
I love Boomer shooters. It's what's caught on so let's just leave it be. Just like metroidvanias, roguelikes etc. I honestly wish there was more clever genre names like boomer shooter.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Retro shooters, but being accurate is not a strength of meme names and boomer shooter is catchy so it'll stick.
As Yahtzee pointed out in a recent video, the people who have nostalgia for Boomer Shooters aren't really Boomers, but mostly Gen X/my people the Geriatric Millenials. I think good old-fashioned Doom Clones works best.
People still follow that bigoted dude's opinions huh.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
regardless of how anyone feels about the name, the question even using the name "boomer shooter" sort of illustrates that it's too late to pick a new one. that's the one that caught on

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Boxy Shooter
Blocky Shooter
Shooter Unfiltered
Primal Shooter
BF Shooter
Doom Banger
Nukem Shootem
NukeDoom (pronounced, Nūk - eh - Doom)
DukerDoomer
WolfenDukerDoomer
The AntiCOD

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
A shooter where the protagonist is a college football player from Oklahoma, and the game gets released earlier than expected

Call that a boomer sooner

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
As a genXer, I do not like the erasure that comes with calling everything old "boomer"

That said, I hate boomer shooter less than "shlooter" so it's not the worst genre name I've heard. They're all arbitrary anyway.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
boomer shooter is cute.

retro fps is also fine. we really don't need to overthink it.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Walking sim, immersive sim, soulslike, roguelike, boomer shooter, and Metroidvania are all better descriptors of the type of games that use them than anything the language freaks can think up.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
How long is "Boomer" really going to last at the rate it's evolving? First it was supposed to be about the Baby Boomers, now it's just supposed to be old people. It won't be long before Gen Z'ers start hitting their 30s and feeling their age and then who is going to want to identify with the term? It's going to quietly get phased out, so we might as well look for a better term now.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
They're Doom Clones and you little shits who think it's something different should get off our fucking lawn.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Shoomer Booters

Chuck_Schumer_official_photo.jpg

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
"The ones you have to research because the devs are more commonly shitheads of some description"

But that's a bit wordy so boomer shooter'll work fine.

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
Boomer Shooter is just as idiotic as Soulsborne so of course its what will be accepted.

Boomers were not the ones playing Doom. And near damn every game of the era was clearly inspired or built its foundation off of Doom. It's been Doom clone for so long, why the want to change it? Where the fuck did this article even come from?

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
I think the name's dumb (my dad's a Boomer, and I'm the one who played Wolfenstein 3D in 1992, not him)...but it's kind of become endearing, and it's memorable, so let's roll with it.

Better than the other options, at least. "Wolfendooms" and "Doom Clones" ignores Quakealikes; "Golden Era FPS" has way too many syllables to be of use to anyone these days. :P

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Well I immediately knew what you were referring to when I read boomer shooter so I think the name works