• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
MAME, the arcade emulation project?
Yep.

I don't hate it hate it, but I hate how things have to be EXACT.

I hate not finishing games. However, I am struggling to complete Elex. I dropped the game when I was supposed to fight a dozen or so Albs the same time and they were constantly spamming their guns and especially their rocket launchers. It was so frustrating because this throws you to the ground or staggers you, and then you die. The combat is always clunky and clumsy, and because of that, sometimes really unfair. And in all honesty, the story is really not that great. Exploring the world and getting stronger is fun, but I guess nobody stays for the badly written tale of the fallen superhuman that becomes a savior for a group of people. Did someone here finish the game? Is the conclusion worth it?
You just listed a bunch of reasons why you shouldn't finish the game. I was going to suggest you cheat past the annoying parts, but it might not even be worth watching the ending on youtube from your description.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

I don't hate it hate it, but I hate how things have to be EXACT.

They make a pretty good case for historical and emulation accuracy. I wish more emulation projects were as committed. Getting the files all aligned is a pain( as is maintaining them) but there are ways to facilitate all that. It's been years since I last revisited the project. I was thinking about it recently when I saw the meltdown in the Sony threads over the PS3/vita store shutdowns. People can't keep pooping over emulation as piracy when it's clear companies don't do enough and won't do enough to preserve their own legacies and history.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You just listed a bunch of reasons why you shouldn't finish the game. I was going to suggest you cheat past the annoying parts, but it might not even be worth watching the ending on youtube from your description.

I suppose you are right. But my FOMO is strong. That is why quitting a game is hard for me.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They make a pretty good case for historical and emulation accuracy. I wish more emulation projects were as committed. Getting the files all aligned is a pain( as is maintaining them) but there are ways to facilitate all that. It's been years since I last revisited the project. I was thinking about it recently when I saw the meltdown in the Sony threads over the PS3/vita store shutdowns. People can't keep pooping over emulation as piracy when it's clear companies don't do enough and won't do enough to preserve their own legacies and history.
I'm just not a fan of "you need all 60GB of this stuff and it all has to be in one folder" thing they have going. I don't understand why the structure isn't nested like every other emulator. Games go here, bios go over there, that sort of thing.

But I agree.

I suppose you are right. But my FOMO is strong. That is why quitting a game is hard for me.
But if you're not getting any fun out of it, you're not really missing out. You got all of the experience out of it that you need.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

I have this as well — to varying degrees. It helped me to look at it this way: there's only so much time to play games, and playing one that I don't actively enjoy cuts into time that could be spent on one I do. Maybe that can work for you as well!

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Main "problem" for MAME is trying to get exact cycle emulation for each individual game. While most console emulators are more than happy to have general solutions that might create differences between how the game was originally played and how it works in the emulator, MAME tries to have the same behaviour (including some glitches). That means that they want to have as controlled of an environment as humanly possible in PC, which is a hard task.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
And just like that content you got with Deluxe or similar versions of these games will be gone

www.resetera.com

Ubisoft are closing online servers for several older titles on June 1, 2021; last time to grab the online achievements/trophies

https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/1241617-Online-Services-Update-Masterlist-Forums?s=4e28173932bf67c5c4b122e6e2bd10eb Here are a few more specific details: 1. The multiplayer online services for the title will be shut down but the solo features will remain available. 2. Any In-game...

Last edited:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Main "problem" for MAME is trying to get exact cycle emulation for each individual game. While most console emulators are more than happy to have general solutions that might create differences between how the game was originally played and how it works in the emulator, MAME tries to have the same behaviour (including some glitches). That means that they want to have as controlled of an environment as humanly possible in PC, which is a hard task.

I don't really understand - the code and the way it emulates cycles is hardware agnostic. You have MAME forks for all kinds of hardware/operating systems.

The emulation accuracy (per cycle) is what makes MAME an endless project. The idea isn't to supersede the original version, but get it running perfectly, with glorious slowdown/glitches and all. Given the thousands of arcade PCBs and variants, we'll probably never get to see it completed.

I wonder if they still have the analog simulated games in there, cause those were really approximations (like Pong/Asteroid)

Oct 25, 2017
I am playing stellaris a ton again. Getting close to actually finishing a game, but I think I am just too strong and can dominate the entire galaxy in just a matter of time. So I am thinking of starting a new game on a harder difficulty. What DLC really fleshes out the mid/end game?

I guess from the DLC packs I do not have, the only stand out one is federations. I bought that humble bundle recently. I lack a bunch of species packs as well.

Federations seems cool though. Worth it?

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
But if you're not getting any fun out of it, you're not really missing out. You got all of the experience out of it that you need.

I have this as well — to varying degrees. It helped me to look at it this way: there's only so much time to play games, and playing one that I don't actively enjoy cuts into time that could be spent on one I do. Maybe that can work for you as well!

Thanks! I guess I use my time on dying on my runs on new Isaac Repentence stuff. Which is at least fun. Masochistic fun.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's always been an issue with these type of games.

Start of medium difficulty because you're not sure how tough it will be (or you're new to it). Once you get the hang of it it becomes a breeze, but the AI is lower difficulty making the game a meme. Just sucks when this happens after you've spent a decent amount of time, and restarting is just annoying at that point.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
And just like that content you got with Deluxe or similar versions of these games will be gone

www.resetera.com

Ubisoft are closing online servers for several older titles on June 1, 2021; last time to grab the online achievements/trophies

https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/1241617-Online-Services-Update-Masterlist-Forums?s=4e28173932bf67c5c4b122e6e2bd10eb Here are a few more specific details: 1. The multiplayer online services for the title will be shut down but the solo features will remain available. 2. Any In-game...

"bUt "rEvIeW bOmBiNg" iS wRoNg"

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am playing stellaris a ton again. Getting close to actually finishing a game, but I think I am just too strong and can dominate the entire galaxy in just a matter of time. So I am thinking of starting a new game on a harder difficulty. What DLC really fleshes out the mid/end game?

I guess from the DLC packs I do not have, the only stand out one is federations. I bought that humble bundle recently. I lack a bunch of species packs as well.

Federations seems cool though. Worth it?
Yeah new federation options offered by Federation DLC are pretty cool, though I'm not sure it significantly impacts mid/end game. If you want more stuff happening, Distant Stars DLC is actually better bet as it adds new events and more importantly possibility for new type of mid-game crisis.

Doesn't Dick update come out extremely soon though? Probably good idea to start new campaign after that, unless you're not planning to update for mod reasons.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

"review bombing is bad"

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
"review bombing is bad"
You support review bombing games that are ten plus years old and getting their dead MP switched off? I googled several names on the list, all were games released around 2008/2009. MS, Codemasters, Take Two and others have discounted more popular games that are only a few years old.

From the article:

• Rewards will be disabled in-game, meaning that you can still unlock them, but you will not receive them. If you unlock them after the closure of the online service for the game, please feel free to contact our Customer Support team to be refunded.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
You support review bombing games that are ten plus years old and getting their dead MP switched off? I googled several names on the list, all were games released around 2008/2009. MS, Codemasters, Take Two and others have discounted more popular games that are only a few years old.

From the article:

• Rewards will be disabled in-game, meaning that you can still unlock them, but you will not receive them. If you unlock them after the closure of the online service for the game, please feel free to contact our Customer Support team to be refunded.

Pretty sure the poster was talking about the review bombing of Nier Automata, which seems to have worked as intended.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Pretty sure the poster was talking about the review bombing of Nier Automata, which seems to have worked as intended.
Ah, that makes a lot more sense.

Crazy that Square never ever patched the game. It must be selling well enough to consistently hold $20+ price point, but they still refused to patch it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah new federation options offered by Federation DLC are pretty cool, though I'm not sure it significantly impacts mid/end game. If you want more stuff happening, Distant Stars DLC is actually better bet as it adds new events and more importantly possibility for new type of mid-game crisis.

Doesn't Dick update come out extremely soon though? Probably good idea to start new campaign after that, unless you're not planning to update for mod reasons.

You mean nemesis? I really do not follow game development for this title. I guess they have a free update with nemesis?

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
so just a general warning: apparently Control Standard Edition on Steam is an older build than the Ultimate Edition, even if you purchase the season pass content, you still don't really own the actual Ultimate edition. Thus us humble-bundle people are missing patches, like the ability to... play the game offline.

Fucking awesome. What a shitshow.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Huh Dino Crisis 1 and 2 are on Steam:

unknown.png

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
so just a general warning: apparently Control Standard Edition on Steam is an older build than the Ultimate Edition, even if you purchase the season pass content, you still don't really own the actual Ultimate edition. Thus us humble-bundle people are missing patches, like the ability to... play the game offline.

Cool, cool.
Very cool.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, that makes a lot more sense.

Crazy that Square never ever patched the game. It must be selling well enough to consistently hold $20+ price point, but they still refused to patch it.
It has less to do with it selling well enough and more to do with it being Japanese developed. Square really doesn't put many of their Japanese games too far below 50% anymore.

Their Eidos stuff on the other hand goes 75% or more off all the time.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019

Are you fucking kidding me...
Is there a list of differences between the old and new build?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

www.resetera.com

I can't imagine you need that many machines to support games people barely play. Pulling multiplayer support has always struck me as anti-consumer and unnecessary. I'm still salty about Wizard Wars.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I filled out my Eurotruck Sim 2 scenery with the weekend sale, and have been cruising around in VR with my Quest 2. It is an amazing experience.

I also installed the "Local Radio Stations" mod which automatically sets the radio stations around you to ones that are local to where you are driving. Going down a forested back road in Latvia with a local station playing is incredibly immersive.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Are you fucking kidding me...
Is there a list of differences between the old and new build?
i just found out about this and the always-online thing was the biggest issue i've encountered. supposedly that was patched out of the Ultimate edition last year. I was having some big problems with loading screens taking absolutely forever, even on SSD, unless I alt-tabbed out of the game which would make them load much faster. Also noticed that performance seemed to be degrading the longer I played, a lot of freezes/stutters lately. idk if those last two are related to the lack of patches though.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You mean nemesis? I really do not follow game development for this title. I guess they have a free update with nemesis?
Yeah, usually Stellaris bundles big gameplay updates for free along with big DLC releases.

Upcoming update will make significant changes to first contact & planetary management for those without DLC as well. Admittedly it'll also break most mods and, if history suggests anything, likely take few more additional patches to stop being buggy mess so disable auto-update if that isn't your cup of tea.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Was it Valve who talked about dedicated Steam servers that would work on demand? Server files would be there always but actual server resources would be allocated only if they are requested or something like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, usually Stellaris bundles big gameplay updates for free along with big DLC releases.

Upcoming update will make significant changes to first contact & planetary management for those without DLC as well. Admittedly it'll also break most mods and, if history suggests anything, likely take few more additional patches to stop being buggy mess so disable auto-update if that isn't your cup of tea.

I have not tried any mods. Anything really good? There are a couple bugs with UI I noticed, particularly around fleet management.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I've been following this game's development for a while, and it's close to getting funded. I thought some of you on this board might be interested in checking it out.

Last edited:

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Was it Valve who talked about dedicated Steam servers that would work on demand? Server files would be there always but actual server resources would be allocated only if they are requested or something like that.
Pretty sure thats how servers work.
It's complicated, and I could see both yes and no as factual answer.

What's solved:
- metaservers for p2p are common on basically everything now
- economy/inventory/savefile servers have marginal costs when static
- billing devs for their game servers way less when no one plays, for new servers that don't have weird hardware requirements, is solved with containers

What's not solved:
- old servers that no one can port to containers
- weird hardware servers that no one can port to containers
- marginal costs not being marginal enough for smaller entities
- the other case, where servers are used without new purchases, seems completely untouched

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have not tried any mods. Anything really good? There are a couple bugs with UI I noticed, particularly around fleet management.
Strongly recommended:
I use Smaller Resource Icons 2.8.x and Tiny Outliner to improve UI.
Habitats Capped Dynamic and Stellaris Peformance Mod to reduce late-game lag.

Dynamic Political Events, Potent Rebellions, Multiple Crises used to make playthrough more interesting without significant balance changes (tried other popular event mods but found that they usually benefited player, your preference if more event variety is worth it).

Recommended:
I found Balanced Space Warfare v2.4 is pretty good at balancing ship weapon types while allowing AI to build smarter fleet composition, but if you're not too familiar with Stellaris to know optimal ship designs, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try vanilla experience first.

Extremely preferential:
I also use StarNet AI to make game more harder, give me reason to actually maintain standing military, and ensure I can't reliably lol diplo to complete safety. Also use Fallen Empire Awakening Tweaks to prevent FE from getting rolled over by StarNet AI. I should note that many people hate StarNet mod for making AI extremely aggressive, people's opinion of it seem to differ based on whether they want Stellaris to be 4X game or roleplaying game.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got any experience using

github.com

GitHub - xan105/Achievement-Watcher: A sexy achievement file parser with real-time notification, automatic screenshot and playtime tracking. View every achievements earned on your PC whether it's coming from Steam, a Steam emulator, and more.

A sexy achievement file parser with real-time notification, automatic screenshot and playtime tracking. View every achievements earned on your PC whether it's coming from Steam, a Steam emulato...

EDIT: Nevermind, the one thing that interested me doesn't seem to support steam

Faderlite

Aug 2, 2018
Just got my EVGA email for my chance to buy a 3070. I put the order in but it's a strange feeling. I put my name on the list in November, and then I sort of moved on when it seemed hopeless. Not complaining though.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
i just found out about this and the always-online thing was the biggest issue i've encountered. supposedly that was patched out of the Ultimate edition last year. I was having some big problems with loading screens taking absolutely forever, even on SSD, unless I alt-tabbed out of the game which would make them load much faster. Also noticed that performance seemed to be degrading the longer I played, a lot of freezes/stutters lately. idk if those last two are related to the lack of patches though.
This is like Xcom 2 + War of the Chosen fuckery, but even much worse.

PBALUCJ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.