• Mahjong

Votes: 55 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the game has an actual method of time-wasting that you'll encounter at the end. One of the reasons I find the sequel so much better (in addition to the stellar music, better puzzles, better combat, better traversal, better variety... better everything really).

The challenge rooms are just this weird thing that shows up early and then never gets used again (they were clearly unsure how far to take the DMC influence).

Supper annoying about the pc version is I'm playing at 4K and unlike the UI the full map doesn't scale so it's fucking tiny and there are no zoom functions.
I never played the "remaster" version. The PC version of both games has always been sort of an afterthought.

David Adams did lament about it a bit when they were working on Deathinitive, so hopefully Darksiders 3 will be better—though I would have traded a good PC port for Jesper Kyd any day of the week. :(

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
You guys shouldnt forget:

376.gif
But all 3 of the Witcher games are great whereas Peter has always been full of shit

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Having just finished Darksiders II for the first time last week: the first game has its problems (endgame fetchquest, too many gated kill rooms, particularly early on), but it's still better-paced and more focused in its design than the sequel.

The core gameplay mechanics of DSII - platforming/traversal, combat, puzzle-solving - are very good, and the first two are definitely superior to the original's, but ultimately DSII is just too fucking long and weighed down by extraneous RPG elements and general bloat. If it dropped the loot system and was a good third or so shorter, it'd definitely be the superior game, but by the end of the game, I just wanted it to end already.

Also, the third-person shooter section on Earth fucking sucks.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I'll probably be building a new PC for cyberpunk. Better start saving now with how hardware prices are going!

Honestly though the demo didn't do much for me on a systems level. I understand it's really early so I'm not going to be too negative on it yet, but so much of it looked very basic and entry level stuff. Like having 2-3 dialog options and knowing 1 of them is the automatic non lethal route and another is the "fuck everything just kill everyone" button. That's not really all that different from most AAA games that are starting to implement basic dialogue options.

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else feeling sorta luke-warm towards Cyberpunk? Feels like the more they show of the game, the less interested I become.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but it puts me off when games are just constantly swearing and trying to be 'edgy'. Also, not entirely sure if an FPS is really wanted out of the game... but oh wait, you can drive cars!

I think I'd rather just play Deus Ex or Witcher 3 some more tbh.

I didn't watch the full 48 minutes though. Just skipped around. Looks like I'm out of the loop once again.

I'm sure it'll be a great game overall. But idk, maybe not for me.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else feeling sorta luke-warm towards Cyberpunk? Feels like the more they show of the game, the less interested I become.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but it puts me off when games are just constantly swearing and trying to be 'edgy'. Also, not entirely sure if an FPS is really wanted out of the game... but oh wait, you can drive cars!

I didn't watch the full 48 minutes though. Just skipped around. Looks like I'm out of the loop once again.

I'm sure it'll be a great game overall. But idk, maybe not for me.
Yeah it does sound kinda edgy and try-hard, but that is mostly due to the source material. They are following the pen&paper books closely which includes all the slang and profanities we're seeing so far. For fans of the source this is a dream come true, but I can see how others might be put off.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having just finished Darksiders II for the first time last week: the first game has its problems (endgame fetchquest, too many gated kill rooms, particularly early on), but it's still better-paced and more focused in its design than the sequel.

The core gameplay mechanics of DSII - platforming/traversal, combat, puzzle-solving - are very good, and the first two are definitely superior to the original's, but ultimately DSII is just too fucking long and weighed down by extraneous RPG elements and general bloat. If it dropped the loot system and was a good third or so shorter, it'd definitely be the superior game, but by the end of the game, I just wanted it to end already.

Get 3 of __, then 3 of __, then 3 of __. Are you there yet? Then 3 of __, sweetheart.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it just looks like Witcher 3 with guns

I might play through it when it's on sale though

now Streets of Rage 4, you'll see me getting my knuckles bloody day 1

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Yep, but it's still early and there could be more to the game that just that. Can't shake the GTA Dogs Ex vibe I got from it either though. Two of those games do absolutely nothing for me. Plus, is it really that hard to do first-person shooting of all things? That's like the most overdone mechanic yet, and it seemed very weak, which says a lot.

Looked nice graphically though I guess. Let the downgrading/culling commence.

Barring the fact that it's also first-person, instead of third...yep, just like.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I liked that section (and the first game had shooter sections too). It was a nice change of pace, and uncharacteristically short (though still probably twice as long as it needed to be).

Earth was worse in the release version, though. They had dueling spawn systems that led to ridiculous streams of enemies (it's all hand-tuned in Deathinitive to be more how it was intended to behave).

I prefer RPGs, so I found the additional gameplay systems to be welcome, but I understand the criticism from those who didn't enjoy them. And the game definitely sags in the middle.

Get 3 of __, then 3 of __, then 3 of __. Are you there yet? Then 3 of __, sweetheart.
Actually, they switch to 2 at the end.

But the first game also followed the Rule of 3. It was just short enough that it didn't get overwhelmed by it.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Plays lots of hidden object games?

Heh, no, his name is in the game. And not a guy in a hat. Literally "someguyinahat".

Edit: ok, I'll put it here in spoilers in case people don't plan to play the game.

So a lot of people complained about the use of meme jokes in the first Guacamelee. In Guacamelee 2 there is a secret area you can go called "the dankest timeline" where they make fun of this. They take actual quotes people made about the game from the internet and have characters speak them.

Actually I don't know if it's the REAL someguyinahat but I'd be surprised if more than one person use that name :)

20180827184522_15ocs6.jpg

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk, thought the world itself was amazing, im excited for it. Not keen on it being first person and the gunplay looked shit until they introduced the ricocheting bullets and the OP bullets that follow enemies around.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I might play through it when it's on sale though

now Streets of Rage 4, you'll see me getting my knuckles bloody day 1

It reminds me of a prettier but more guided Deus Ex MD with better shooting. I haven't seen much in the way of RPG elements yet that gives me a lot of hope for the game. Hope they can really flesh that stuff out in the next 2 years.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher games were edgelord in the most grating way possible. Only W3 dialed it down to more tolerable levels (and then managed to churn out two pitch perfect expansions). Disappointing to see CDPR regress, but not really surprised. More concerned with how scripted and floaty the poor-man's Deus Ex gameplay looks.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I liked that section (and the first game had shooter sections too). It was a nice change of pace, and uncharacteristically short (though still probably twice as long as it needed to be).

Earth was worse in the release version, though. They had dueling spawn systems that led to ridiculous streams of enemies (it's all hand-tuned in Deathinitive to be more how it was intended to behave).

I prefer RPGs, so I found the additional gameplay systems to be welcome, but I understand the criticism from those who didn't enjoy them. And the game definitely sags in the middle.

Actually, they switch to 2 at the end.

But the first game also followed the Rule of 3. It was just short enough that it didn't get overwhelmed by it.

Ah, I played the original PC version; I tried playing Deathinitive, but ran into performance issues (I have a fairly dated gaming laptop). Maybe I would have enjoyed that section more there.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it that some people are going with 1440p monitors instead of 4K when it's half of that? Is it because you won't see a noticeable difference when you sit so close to the screen anyway?

Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk (the game) looks like cyberpunk (the genre) played completely straight. Looks like they took heavy visual inspiration from Deus Ex, and a little smattering of Every Other Cyberpunk Game Ever and forgot to come up with any personal flair. I guess the cyber fanatics with X's built into their face structure is kind of unique. The custom player character you see in a few cutscenes looks cool. Also noticed she's the only redeemable female character in the cast so far, hopefully she's the main choice if there aren't any others.

Also, why would they not show the gruesome eye implant scene? They are clearly not afraid of showing bloody action. I want to see the cool future-tech explanation for how eyeball augmentationsimplants are done in the post-cyberpocalypse future, and then the character wakes up from anesthesia suffering no pain whatsoever, it would've been a good small moment of contrasting optimistic-futurism in the overall dystopia. What's the point of writing cyberpunk lore for every item if the coolest in-universe explanation you can come up with for technology is "overclocking chip, it's really good but it maybe causes nerve damage" (the spiderbot chip description).

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it that some people are going with 1440p monitors instead of 4K when it's half of that? Is it because you won't see a noticeable difference when you sit so close to the screen anyway?
I think you do see a difference but 1440p is less GPU intensive and allows for 120/144hz frame rates. 4K and 120/144hz monitors are still super rare and super expensive, and the GPUs often can't keep up either, e.g. AC Origins at 4K and max details won't even reach 60fps on a 1080 Ti.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Easiest way to get great looking games on older cards is keep a lower res monitor around. When NVIDIA are looking to set new card prices at $600+, I definitely have little reason to upgrade a monitor even above 1080p, except that I like screen real-estate.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
is there like a highlight reel of that cyberpunk demo

who has time to watch a 50 minute trailer

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
PC Gaming ERA | September

Recommendations
- Life is Strange 2 - Uzzy
- Destiny 2: Forsake - SeanShards
- Cross Code - Mivey
- Dragon Quest XI - PC-tan
- Rune - Mr. Tibbs
- Pathfinder: Kingmaker - texhnolyze
- Zone of Enders - PC-tan
- Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Hektor
- Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk - Andres
- The 7th Circle - Andres
- ZeroRanger - Rayge

Monthly Challenge
- Rise of the Tomb Raider - Uzzy

Monthly Retro
- VVVVVV - Endruen

I implore all of you to write recommendations for any of the above and to send me a PM, I will post them in the next OP. Thank you for your support.

Last edited:

LePertti

Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Trying to watch the Cyberpunk gameplay but Starbucks wifi is like 50kb/s and I won't see the video in anything less than 1080p, this is going to take the whole day!:D Sounds though that it will be worth it.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher games were edgelord in the most grating way possible. Only W3 dialed it down to more tolerable levels (and then managed to churn out two pitch perfect expansions). Disappointing to see CDPR regress, but not really surprised. More concerned with how scripted and floaty the poor-man's Deus Ex gameplay looks.
I love the overly edgy dialogue in this, super trashy. Reminds me of something straight out of an early Gibson novel. I also assume you are mostly just talking about the Latino companion character, and he'll likely just be one of many. In fact, I'd be surprised if many quests allowed you to have companions with you. But then again, no idea, just seems easier to design the levels around just one character.

It was likely scripted in many places, to showcase what they are going for, as I assume many of the systems presented are nowhere "final" yet. They are prototyping what works, and what doesn't. This is just using one example quest (heavily polished with bespoke animation I assume), to showcase what they are going for.

LePertti

Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Are you planning to stay at Starbucks for the whole day or am I reading it wrong?
Haha not really, just that with that wifi speed it would take the whole day to buffer the cyberpunk video, but found a faster open wifi. That said, I do often stay long time at Starbucks, being a member they have free refills to encourage people to have them as a "second home" as they call it.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
LYzlISa.jpg

going from the majima minigame to this trash feels real bad but i guess i'm close to finished with it (and the game too). the last story events that unfolded i didn't remember entirely so that's been pretty exciting

also wait there's a fist of the north star yakuza game

that's kinda rad

Just skip one round of League.
dude the whole point of this is saving myself the waste of time of watching a trailer so i can play more league

I've watched it three times already in full.
you need to pick up a sport or learn to play guitar or something

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
So apparently we have specs for the PC that the Cyberpunk demo at E3 and Gamescom was running on.

mzFZ6PB.png

Source

Guess I'm getting a 1080Ti or equivalent confirmed.

Cyberpunk (the game) looks like cyberpunk (the genre) played completely straight. Looks like they took heavy visual inspiration from Deus Ex, and a little smattering of Every Other Cyberpunk Game Ever and forgot to come up with any personal flair. I guess the cyber fanatics with X's built into their face structure is kind of unique. The custom player character you see in a few cutscenes looks cool. Also noticed she's the only redeemable female character in the cast so far, hopefully she's the main choice if there aren't any others.

Also, why would they not show the gruesome eye implant scene? They are clearly not afraid of showing bloody action. I want to see the cool future-tech explanation for how eyeball augmentationsimplants are done in the post-cyberpocalypse future, and then the character wakes up from anesthesia suffering no pain whatsoever, it would've been a good small moment of contrasting optimistic-futurism in the overall dystopia. What's the point of writing cyberpunk lore for every item if the coolest in-universe explanation you can come up with for technology is "overclocking chip, it's really good but it maybe causes nerve damage" (the spiderbot chip description).

I'm excited for the game, but there are aspects where I think its a bit too close to GTA V or generic. I think it looks good, though I wished it pushed the grittiness a little more and a bit more neon pop.

I think you do see a difference but 1440p is less GPU intensive and allows for 120/144hz frame rates. 4K and 120/144hz monitors are still super rare and super expensive, and the GPUs often can't keep up either, e.g. AC Origins at 4K and max details won't even reach 60fps on a 1080 Ti.

1440p is still not an easy resolution to get 60fps. Really at the moment, only something above 10TF like a 1080ti, 2080, 2080ti will do especially if you want high end graphics on pretty much every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.