• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are your plans for Christmas?

• Family

Votes: 572 49.6%
  • Games

Votes: 681 59.0%
  • Beer

Votes: 273 23.7%
  • Anime

Votes: 259 22.4%
  • Complaining on the internet

Votes: 507 43.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Ya, no. With that attitude why participate on this very forum then.

It's perfectly possible to actively use something while acknowledging how awful that something is lol, nothing is stopping you from doing both. Like I can make my complaints about Era sharing similar qualities of it's parent forum and seeing that there's nothing being done to fix those bad qualities but you're still gonna find me using it, because it passes the time and I can amuse myself with it.

I use steam. I play my games on steam. I use the features on steam. It's still going to be a shitty platform so as long as it's issues that include community moderation (among other things) exist.

Grief.exe

Oct 26, 2017
I've been following a game called Satisfactory, basically a 3D Factorio, that went over to the epic store the other night.

I was watching a Q&A over on their YouTube page and they said that it's only a 1 year exclusivity. Sorry if this is old news.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So that Frost game that was free with Chrono coins is pretty fun. I recommend it. Its like an extremely basic slay the spire sort of...you make a deck of cards to try to survive a cold winter.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Only one year?

At this point I've written off any game part of this exclusivity bullshit. If after a year I'm still interested, I might consider it on sale, but I have so many good games to play at any given time.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
looking for a good single player game i can play

-controller friendly
-baby friendly (need to be able to pause and come back easily)
-not story oriented, just trying to have fun

thoughts? no mans sky? monhon world?

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
damn below on w10 is so fucked valve is helping out

ChGG1.png

Hey, I know that Matt! He is awesome people.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, other than the "death of Steam" nonsense, there's nothing in that post that's really not true.

Visibility is a problem in a crowded storefront. You can argue whether it's Valve's problem or responsibility, but it's still true. And Valve's community has long been a cesspool harboring hate speech and bigotry.

I'm just not sure why upon reading that you don't simply lol at the conclusion and move on.
Visibility might be a problem simply due to the amount of games steam gets. This is a problem for any large platform. Hell it's becoming a problem for me when looking at switch new releases. Steam forum are a reflection of the gamers that post there. Apparently gamers have a huge racism problem. But I don't think the solution is to kill steam. People are so extreme. This isn't even the first competitor to steam. I don't know why so many people are losing their minds.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I think he meant baby friendly as in he has a baby he has to look after, but now that I think about it I dont think you can pause in MHW and the hunts take an hour so it is probably the least baby friendly game ever.

I know what he meant and I stand by what I said. Between no pausing like Dark Souls and hunts taking a long time and being overall stressful (like Dark Souls), I dont see how that is a good game to play whilst looking after an infant :p

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
If Darksiders 3 is coming to Access premiere I'm going to start having to wait at least a month before I buy THQ games from now on. I don't see anywhere that this is actually happening, though.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
looking for a good single player game i can play

-controller friendly
-baby friendly (need to be able to pause and come back easily)
-not story oriented, just trying to have fun

thoughts? no mans sky? monhon world?

Hitman 2! Story isn't important in these games at all it's all about exploring the areas and trying stuff out.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Went to redeem Subnautica and read the text next to the checkbox and it says something along the lines to tick it to NOT receive e-mails about their projects on Epic store etc. This ish ought to be the other way around :V

Hitman 2! Story isn't important in these games at all it's all about exploring the areas and trying stuff out.
And throwing around your briefcase!

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've been following a game called Satisfactory, basically a 3D Factorio, that went over to the epic store the other night.

I was watching a Q&A over on their YouTube page and they said that it's only a 1 year exclusivity. Sorry if this is old news.
The only Epic exclusive I might buy when it releases on Steam.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
If Darksiders 3 is coming to Access premiere I'm going to start having to wait at least a month before I buy THQ games from now on. I don't see anywhere that this is actually happening, though.

If you browse the Origin store and filter by "new to Origin Access," it's there. Page if you click through says "will be included in Premier," albeit not when.

I'm sticking with Basic, though.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I have tried to make fun of this Valve-bashing here, but compared to reality, my parody comes of as reasonable.
I really sometimes feel that the whole world is getting crazier, since a few years. No more middle ground, no one is willing to take a pragmatic view, it's all overly emotional, overly moralizing. Instead of debate, pro and contra, it's wild screaming and if you disagree then you are clearly just evil ("think of the poor devs"). It started out in the political world, but I feel this is slowly infecting everything else too.

In fact, even pointing this out, is often reflexively thrown out as "both siding", when all I'm asking is the mode of conversation to be different, I'm not equalizing the content of thought, but its outward presentation. Everyone is rushing to the fringes, and in a self-rewarding feedback cascade there is less and less to discuss, it just becomes a competition to show how you agree with the already existing group think.

It's not just you. And it's distressing. If I could bring back one thing to conversation, it would be the idea that someone you don't like can be right sometimes and someone you do like can be wrong sometimes.

A lot of it is social media. The way it works.

I agree with both of these posts. It's why I tend to avoid social media and stick to forums, although those are being infected by the same attitude too.

let's remember steam also owes its massive success to the developers making awesome games on their platform as well -__-

i'm pretty bummed at the idea that we have to thank digital gamestop for good games now

I'm going to make a thread about this old blog post from Jeff Vogel, I would implore you to read it.

http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-indie-bubble-is-popping.html

Jeff directly credits Valve for creating a market that allowed indie devs to flourish. The makers of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw did the same in their Epic Store Q&A. It is a fact that most indie developers out there owe their success or livelihood to Valve. Calling Valve "digital Gamestop" is so ridiculously reductive and so far from reality that it's almost not worth replying to it.

n the context of that post (where they go on to mention discoverability and profit sharing), sure. It's a valid perspective, even if you or I wouldn't characterize it that way.

Read the blog post I linked to above.

Hey guys, give Subnautica a go now that it's free, it's amazing! It's my n°2 GOTY after Celeste

I will buy the game on Steam instead of using the Epic Store to download it, it looks like an interesting game. Unless of course the developer signs an exclusivity deal.

Steam forums suck, stop defending steam forums you weirdos

Steam forums are a valuable resource. I'm not defending the assholes that post there or the lax moderation. The system itself is necessary.

I use steam. I play my games on steam. I use the features on steam. It's still going to be a shitty platform so as long as it's issues that include community moderation (among other things) exist

Steam is by far the best digital platform out there. The fact that some of its features can and should be improved doesn't change that.

It's perfectly fine to acknowledge a shimmer of good quality in something that's more often than not garbage! But don't paint that something as 'good' when it has a myriad of shit as it's baggag

In the case of Steam, the opposite is true. It is an excellent platform with a shimmer of garbage. Saying otherwise won't make it a reality. Steam is an excellent service.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Accumulated my list of 2018 releases I played across all platforms and I think listing a Top 10 will be pretty easy this year. My #1 is basically unchallenged since January.

Still have to play more of Dragon Quest XI and maybe get Return To Obra Dinn and Below before I'm ready to vote.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Accumulated my list of 2018 releases I played across all platforms and I think listing a Top 10 will be pretty easy this year. My #1 is basically unchallenged since January.

Still have to play more of Dragon Quest XI and maybe get Return To Obra Dinn and Below before I'm ready to vote.

January? MHW? If so im in the same boat.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I get carried by my friends in mhw - I just stand back and try not to rip our rewards.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
January? MHW? If so im in the same boat.

No, it's Celeste for me. Sadly played too little of Monster Hunter World yet to really form an opinion of it.

I would say the most shocking thing for me is RDR2 likely won't make my Top10 this year at all. Even though I loved RDR1 and GTAV.
Even if I take the whole realism angle and overloaded controls (which I got used to to a certain degree) out of the picture, the mission design is just too damn monotone and restrictive. I could maybe live with it being monotone because I get a western setting doesn't offer as much variety as a modern GTA setting, but I hate how you're constantly forced to do everything exactly as the mission designers at Rockstar wanted it to play out.
I'm always just following extremely linear paths during the missions and that just feels so outdated compared to modern Ubi open world games or Breath Of The Wild or even Spider-Man.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
Why should we be bummed? It would never have happened without Steam. A massive part of those good games would have never been made.
Are you bummed that we have to thank Sony, Atari, Sega, Microsoft, (IBM), or Nintendo for good games? Without those companies, hundreds/thousands of good games would have never had a platform to release.
I'm going to make a thread about this old blog post from Jeff Vogel, I would implore you to read it.

http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-indie-bubble-is-popping.html

Jeff directly credits Valve for creating a market that allowed indie devs to flourish. The makers of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw did the same in their Epic Store Q&A. It is a fact that most indie developers out there owe their success or livelihood to Valve. Calling Valve "digital Gamestop" is so ridiculously reductive and so far from reality that it's almost not worth replying to it.
what i dislike about these narratives is that it portrays valve in this altruistic position as if they weren't the biggest beneficiaries of the market they, along with the devs that made the games that would be on sale there, had a critical hand in creating

steam is nothing without the amazing games, it's the same with any of the consoles mentioned above. i really dislike this idea that devs shuold be grateful to steam as if steam hasn't been running an insanely profitable business. like giving them a third of your sales isn't thank you enough

and this applies to consoles too, or the epic store or whatever, i thank the artist that made the game i get to enjoy, not the store i bought it from. not trying to hate on steam or pretend they weren't key in the pc market exploding the way it has but that's not something i think they went unrewarded for

i see all the people here throwing vitriol at devs that are gonna publish their games exclusively on the epic store and i'm like, when did the store become more important than the games its selling?

OMG, Zkylon, please, stop.
yea i'll concede digital gamestop is too much, i got swept up in the negativity and exaggerated

cos u know at least gamestop lets you sell ur used games
let's see if anyone gets angry over this

Last edited:

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
That's fine!!!!!
It's perfectly fine to acknowledge a shimmer of good quality in something that's more often than not garbage! But don't paint that something as 'good' when it has a myriad of shit as it's baggage!

I'd argue that Steam forums are on average like 90% quality, 10% garbage, as long as you acknowledge that forums are just discussion boards, that's their function and expecting more wouldn't be fair. Most threads are queries about this and that, talking about features or fixing bugs and other issues. There are game specific exceptions of course. Games that are hot garbage tend to have forums that are also hot garbage. What I would see as an issue is the lack of moderation if the developer/publisher wants nothing to do with their game specific Steam forum. I don't know what the solution is, but flat out judging the whole system because of that is unreasonable considering how useful the forums on average are. Not a week goes by that I don't go to Steam forums for bug fixes, patch notes or just to see discussion about a game I'm considering buying.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
i see all the people here throwing vitriol at devs that are gonna publish their games exclusively on the epic store and i'm like, when did the store become more important than the games its selling?

Is it the most important aspect? No.
Is it still very important? Yes.

Don't know why we should start to disregard important aspects like cloud saves, or even basic things like the installer telling us how much space that is required, for the application that will handle our purchases installations and launches.

We're customers, not devs. We shouldn't dismiss our own preferences and needs.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
what i dislike about these narratives is that it portrays valve in this altruistic position as if they weren't the biggest beneficiaries of the market they, along with the devs that made the games that would be on sale there, had a critical hand in creating.

There's nothing altruistic about a company selling a product. The point is that Valve created a market and both developers and Valve benefited from it. The argument is that without Valve, many of these amazing games would have never been created becausethere would be no market to buy them.

steam is nothing without the amazing games, it's the same with any of the consoles mentioned above. i really dislike this idea that devs shuold be grateful to steam as if steam hasn't been running an insanely profitable business. like giving them a third of your sales isn't thank you enough

You don't need to be grateful, you just have to recognize reality for what it is. Many successful developers earn a good living because Valve gave them a platform with a ton of users to sell their games on.

Steam isn't just a store. It's a platform that provides a lot of extra cool stuff to its customers. Many PC gamers are also pretty hostile towards console-like practices such as paid-for exclusivity. That isn't going to change anytime soon.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
what i dislike about these narratives is that it portrays valve in this altruistic position as if they weren't the biggest beneficiaries of the market they, along with the devs that made the games that would be on sale there, had a critical hand in creating

and this applies to consoles too, or the epic store or whatever, i thank the artist that made the game i get to enjoy, not the store i bought it from. not trying to hate on steam or pretend they weren't key in the pc market exploding the way it has but that's not something i think they went unrewarded for

yea i'll concede digital gamestop is too much, i got swept up in the negativity and exaggerated

Remember Games for Windows Live ?
Now you understand why people dont want more clients.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'd say the store is more important than the games when the store is so shitty it makes me avoid it entirely.

One small example would be refunds. Epic Store allows you two freaking refunds a year. While they are selling early access games. I'm not putting a dollar in a store with that kind of refund policy, I don't give a shit if your game is the best one ever made in the whole of existence

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
Is it the most important aspect? No.
Is it still very important? Yes.

Don't know why we should start to disregard important aspects like cloud saves, or even basic things like the installer telling us how much space that is required, for the application that will handle our purchases installations and launches.

We're customers, not devs. We shouldn't dismiss our own preferences and needs.
i'm just disregarding it cos people are talking about valve's role in creating the pc market, not steam's value as a client (which is easy to see cos it's packed with neat stuff, that i happen to never use, but neat nonetheless)

There's nothing altruistic about a company selling a product. The point is that Valve created a market and both developers and Valve benefited from it. The argument is that without Valve, many of these amazing games would have never been created becausethere would be no market to buy them.

You don't need to be grateful, you just have to recognize reality for what it is. Many successful developers earn a good living because Valve gave them a platform with a ton of users to sell their games on.
without devs making games there wouldn't be any market either. steam is successful because developers make great games people want to buy.

both parts are necessary for the market to exist, i think it's dismissive to think valve "gave them a platform", valve didn't give away anything, if anything they sold it for a revenue share, and it's a platform that gained value from the quality of the games published in it

Steam isn't just a store. It's a platform that provides a lot of extra cool stuff to its customers. Many PC gamers are also pretty hostile towards console-like practices such as paid-for exclusivity. That isn't going to change anytime soon.
i find the amount of hostility directed towards developers, specially indies, to be pretty unpleasant

i understand being upset but i feel it's pretty misguided

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i find the amount of hostility directed towards developers, specially indies, to be pretty unpleasant

i understand being upset but i feel it's pretty misguided

Yup.

I don't like what Epic is doing, as in them moneyhatting exclusives, but the amount of hostility directed towards the developers is not fine.

You can dislike Epic and the developer for doing what they are doing, but at times it is going too far.

Remember Games for Windows Live ?
Now you understand why people dont want more clients.

Shitty clients. I don't have problems with clients. Im using Steam, Origin, UPlay, Battle.net and Epic (Fortnite), no problems with them.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I think Knurek and cyba89 will be happy about this.
Steam Client Beta Update December 14

The Steam Beta client has been updated with the following changes:

General
  • Improved Steam client responsiveness while downloading games
  • Fixed some places where recently played games list was truncated to 5 items

Windows
  • Improved automatic discovery of HTTP proxies on some types of restrictive networks, which will allow users on those networks to download game content and other HTTP content while using the Steam client

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, nah, nah. Stop cycling between Civilization, W40K and Trails, it's so annoying.
sorry, left the idler thing,. if it's of any help it's almost 8 am and i'm about to go to bed so it shouldn't bother you anymore soon

I'd say the store is more important than the games when the store is so shitty it makes me avoid it entirely.

One small example would be refunds. Epic Store allows you two freaking refunds a year. While they are selling early access games. I'm not putting a dollar in a store with that kind of refund policy, I don't give a shit if your game is the best one ever made in the whole of existence
no you're totally right about that, i just don't think it's something worth directing hate towards developers, specially when they have little to do with it. like so many people hoping devs that signed exclusivity to fail feels weird to me, i feel a lot more comfortable with people hating on epic haha

Yup.

I don't like what Epic is doing, as in them moneyhatting exclusives, but the amount of hostility directed towards the developers is not fine.

You can dislike Epic and the developer for doing what they are doing, but at times it is going too far.
agreed!

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sorry, left the idler thing,. if it's of any help it's almost 8 am and i'm about to go to bed so it shouldn't bother you anymore soon

no you're totally right about that, i just don't think it's something worth directing hate towards developers, specially when they have little to do with it. like so many people hoping devs that signed exclusivity to fail feels weird to me, i feel a lot more comfortable with people hating on epic haha

agreed!
Accepting the timed deal and signing it is defenitively on the developers. It has quite a lot to do with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.