Status
Not open for further replies.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018

qXYL9bf.jpg

Would buy if i didnt splurge already, guess I'll have to wait the next sale.

Deleted member 10852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The twitter reply on that is absolute truth.

On very pro-dev, but any dev who criticizes Valve's open policy can eat sand as far as I'm concerned. Curation solves zero problems and only creates major ones.
My main issue with the devs shouting for more curation is that they seem to forget what led to the current situation:
-Steam had a tight curation and many games were left outside (including entire genres!) because Valve thought there would be no audience for them in Steam.
Indies complained and pointed to great games that flopped outside of Steam, and how hard it was to get publishers sometimes.

-Steam introduces Greenlight to try and make more of those popular games easily accessible in Steam, as well as making it easier for people to publish the games by their own, without having to court publishers and lose money that way.
Several iteration of Greenlight happens, making modifications to be able to capture more games, as well as making it easier for games to be allowed in. Indies still rightly complained that it was basically a fanbase voting which only caused trouble for them.

-Steam introduces Direct. Any app (as long as it didnt contain R18 content and was acceptable) would get into Steam as long as they paid the entrance fee. Several entrances fees were proposed by Valve, with Valve wanting to put 1000$ mainly due to their fear of troll games and flooding of the market due to the ease of access. Indie devs lobbied for a lower entrance cut, rightly pointing out that 1000$ would be too much for some smaller (and poorer) devs. Steam set it up to 100$.
Steam since then has had to try and cut any possible revenue avenue from troll games (such as card, being more stringent on key asking, and achivements).

The whole process was always because indie devs rightfully saw that the tight curation only harmed them... and now they want to go back to square 1 because the gold rush of Steam is over.
The issue is that the gold rush of Steam would have been over even if we still had heavily curation. More than 50 games would be launched every month and the competition would still be tough as balls.

Edit: that is not to say that steam really should be more stringent on some publishers who abuse the system by basically making the same game by just changing some assetts... like Hentai Puzzle.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Game journalist do not really need to be paid. Main issue is that most of them are way too close to developers as it is more of a hobbyist profession rather than a professional journalism.
Being closer to devs, not having to really care about getting games (as they get them for free), and having a closer relationship with Epic than Steam just helps create an inherent bias towards Epic without any need of being paid. Most of them also do not seem to realize all the functionality that Steam does for you without noticing (like for instance Cloud saves... or where the save files are in modern pc games!)

Heck, we saw the same reaction for the Discord store when it was announced, with journalists hyping it heavily. Most journalist just want some possibility of "console wars" in PC to get more clicks and to try and get something extra from Valve, which they dont really have contacts with.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think PC gaming rags have long looked forward to this Valve-competition nonsense in whatever way they can get it. Same shit we see with American political media - false horse races to drum up traffic.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This thread sure likes to constantly give PCGamer traffic for every tabloid opinion piece they write.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Game journalist do not really need to be paid. Main issue is that most of them are way too close to developers as it is more of a hobbyist profession rather than a professional journalism.
Being closer to devs, not having to really care about getting games (as they get them for free), and having a closer relationship with Epic than Steam just helps create an inherent bias towards Epic without any need of being paid. Most of them also do not seem to realize all the functionality that Steam does for you without noticing (like for instance Cloud saves... or where the save files are in modern pc games!)

Heck, we saw the same reaction for the Discord store when it was announced, with journalists hyping it heavily. Most journalist just want some possibility of "console wars" in PC to get more clicks and to try and get something extra from Valve, which they dont really have contacts with.
Ironic that hardware techtuber like Gamers Nexus shows that they could have integrity whilst the subject they covered are vastly more expensive than software.
This is why I'm especially frustrated with Jim Sterling because he could be in the same position and yet what he's chasing is just fad after fad.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
My main issue with the devs shouting for more curation is that they seem to forget what led to the current situation:
-Steam had a tight curation and many games were left outside (including entire genres!) because Valve thought there would be no audience for them in Steam.
Indies complained and pointed to great games that flopped outside of Steam, and how hard it was to get publishers sometimes.

-Steam introduces Greenlight to try and make more of those popular games easily accessible in Steam, as well as making it easier for people to publish the games by their own, without having to court publishers and lose money that way.
Several iteration of Greenlight happens, making modifications to be able to capture more games, as well as making it easier for games to be allowed in. Indies still rightly complained that it was basically a fanbase voting which only caused trouble for them.

-Steam introduces Direct. Any app (as long as it didnt contain R18 content and was acceptable) would get into Steam as long as they paid the entrance fee. Several entrances fees were proposed by Valve, with Valve wanting to put 1000$ mainly due to their fear of troll games and flooding of the market due to the ease of access. Indie devs lobbied for a lower entrance cut, rightly pointing out that 1000$ would be too much for some smaller (and poorer) devs. Steam set it up to 100$.
Steam since then has had to try and cut any possible revenue avenue from troll games (such as card, being more stringent on key asking, and achivements).

The whole process was always because indie devs rightfully saw that the tight curation only harmed them... and now they want to go back to square 1 because the gold rush of Steam is over.
The issue is that the gold rush of Steam would have been over even if we still had heavily curation. More than 50 games would be launched every month and the competition would still be tough as balls.

Edit: that is not to say that steam really should be more stringent on some publishers who abuse the system by basically making the same game by just changing some assetts... like Hentai Puzzle.

Yeah. And it wouldn't have been only the 50 Greenlight games each month. The big publishers have all published their back catalog classics (since then) and wouldn't have gone through Greenlight either. The amount of highly rated games would have been astronomical either way.

I remember when Valve was taking input. One of the guys on the old site (who had a semi-hit) was advocating for 10,000 (I think). Really cheesed me off. The arrogance of him wanting others to play by different rules (after he'd been handed a lottery ticket). Especially since garbage was affecting no one. Literally nobody was buying these games. And aside from the odd (crap) game that Jim Sterling gave major publicity to, nobody was even hearing of these games. They were buried in obscurity. None of this was the indie's issue. Over saturation of the market was/is/will be main issue and nothing can ever change this. It's a mature market.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
\
I remember when Valve was taking input. One of the guys on the old site (who had a semi-hit) was advocating for 10,000 (I think). Really cheesed me off. The arrogance of him wanting others to play by different rules (after he'd been handed a lottery ticket). Especially since garbage was affecting no one. Literally nobody was buying these games. And aside from the odd (crap) game that Jim Sterling gave major publicity to, nobody was even hearing of these games. They were buried in obscurity. None of this was the indie's issue. Over saturation of the market was/is/will be main issue and nothing can ever change this. It's a mature market.
Ironically those usually 'trash' game got more publicity than it deserved only when Jim Sterling used it to speak against Steam 'lack of curation'.
Honestly there are more hazard coming out of this since Valve created an algorithm to 'filter' 'crap games' and it resulted on so many indie have their sales cut in half before when it was just a 'wild wild west'. More proof that an attempt at (non community based) curation will only resulted in even more problem)

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I dont know why am debating the Handsome Collection. I own the major DLC for BL2 and own BL2/Presequel. Its just cheaper to get the handsome collection than the record low of the Pre-Sequel seasons pass. The thing is, will I ever play the Presequel again?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Call of Duty WWII is on sale for the first time on Steam. Worth $23 for single player only?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Ironically those usually 'trash' game got more publicity than it deserved only when Jim Sterling used it to speak against Steam 'lack of curation'.
Honestly there are more hazard coming out of this since Valve created an algorithm to 'filter' 'crap games' and it resulted on so many indie have their sales cut in half before when it was just a 'wild wild west'. More proof that an attempt at (non community based) curation will only resulted in even more problem)

I've been of the belief if you had a game that failed miserably, it would be a dream scenario if you could someone really mess it up and get Sterling to highlight it. There honestly is no such thing as bad publicity (if you're selling something and buried in obscurity and no sales). Of course, this basic fact goes *whoosh* over the heads of Sterling and his legion of followers.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
Why I wonder why it's only the first Borderland that's not being put on sale. Really shame since I want to play it first because I already owned 2 somehow :/

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why I wonder why it's only the first Borderland that's not being put on sale. Really shame since I want to play it first because I already owned 2 somehow :/
cause they are upgrading everyone who owns the first to the remaster and they want people who don't have it yet to buy the remaster at it's full price instead of getting it for ultra cheap :P

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
cause they are upgrading everyone who owns the first to the remaster and they want people who don't have it yet to buy the remaster at it's full price instead of getting it for ultra cheap :P
I thought as much L/

What was the 'upgrade' for the upcoming remaster again?
https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/borderlands-game-of-the-year-edition 77% off, this will net you the remaster as well.
edit. Nevermind "out of stock". Never even check those things.
Out of stock sadly.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
So in a period of 5-6 weeks we're going to get Anno 1800, Imperator: Rome, Total War: Three Kingdoms and significant DLC for Total Warhammer 2. Hell of a time for strategy players.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Well, I stuck at Jerusalem level in Pandora Tomorrow, don't see how I can finish this one without going full blown Terminator, and Sam dies after like 3 shots.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So in a period of 5-6 weeks we're going to get Anno 1800, Imperator: Rome, Total War: Three Kingdoms and significant DLC for Total Warhammer 2. Hell of a time for strategy players.
The Total Warhammer 2 thing will likely be a lord pack for Lizardmen/Skaven, so set your expectations accordingly.

They've followed the new faction/lord pack alternating cycle for a looong time now.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
This isn't totally relevant to PC gaming, but I don't really want to make a whole thread about it and this thread feels like the best place to get some answers; I'm looking for a wireless keyboard (one of the ones that uses a USB receiver) for my PC, and I have no idea which ones are good and which ones aren't. I'd just be using it for basic things like documents and stuff rather than gaming, but I don't really want one that feels flimsy and cheap - I want one which feels good to type on. Does anybody have any recommendations that won't completely destroy my wallet?

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017

Just bought Anno using my Ubisoft points discount as they run out soon. It looks like it will be a good one. Loved 1404.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
The Total Warhammer 2 thing will likely be a lord pack for Lizardmen/Skaven, so set your expectations accordingly.

They've followed the new faction/lord pack alternating cycle for a looong time now.

Yeah that's totally what it's going to be, but those have still been significant releases. Probably 3 new LLs, some new units, new mechanics and some changes to Bretonnia that range from just a couple niceities to completely changing the faction.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's totally what it's going to be, but those have still been significant releases. Probably 3 new LLs, some new units, new mechanics and some changes to Bretonnia that range from just a couple niceities to completely changing the faction.
Oh right, the Bretonnia revamp! I forgot about that. And previously, Vampire Coast's release coincided with the revamped Vampire Counts, too.

I take it back. Every TWWH update is a big one. The waaagh never ends.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I take it back. Every TWWH update is a big one. The waaagh never ends.

They really are. Especially when there's usually some new system that then filters down to the modding community, who continue to produce so much great stuff.

I'm excited to see what they're changing to Bretonnia. They're usually in a rough spot now with Kemmler's change, so I hope they get some cool stuff to start fighting back.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't totally relevant to PC gaming, but I don't really want to make a whole thread about it and this thread feels like the best place to get some answers; I'm looking for a wireless keyboard (one of the ones that uses a USB receiver) for my PC, and I have no idea which ones are good and which ones aren't. I'd just be using it for basic things like documents and stuff rather than gaming, but I don't really want one that feels flimsy and cheap - I want one which feels good to type on. Does anybody have any recommendations that won't completely destroy my wallet?

Don't know if you need a numpad for your needs but I saw a few people liking the Anne Pro 2 keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.