What game on your wishlist are you adding to your backlog this month?

• Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Votes: 142 36.0%
  • 428: Shibuya Scramble

Votes: 33 8.4%
  • Life is Strange 2

Votes: 59 15.0%
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4

Votes: 57 14.5%
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Votes: 103 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
Got through the intro/tutorial section in Kingdom Come.
That took 3h. :)

Kinda like the game. It's pretty janky, and still very buggy, but it's enjoyable. It's interesting to see how an RPG can be, when the devs can't default to the regular "kill a bunch of goblins or whatever" sections to pad the game.
I was super excited for this game long before it came out, but once it came out I watched a couple streams and I was ok. I'd still like to try it some time.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Do we have a dumb tech questions thread like we had in the last place on ERA? I've got some weird PC GUI issues that I want to dive into.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all can keep your hella girls and your jungle raiding girls, the real queen is right here

44989530751_f21ded7603_o.gif

Nah, Origins rekilled any interest I may have had for this franchise. And I didn't 100% it fwiw :p

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the level scaling is the worst thing about Origins. Maybe if someone releases a mod that rebalances the game to be less asinine about that, I'd consider playing it.

Definitely.
If Odyssey rebalances the levelling system then yeah I may give it a second look. But I've not seen anything indicating that, and with talk of 400+ side missions I doubt it.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely.
If Odyssey rebalances the levelling system then yeah I may give it a second look. But I've not seen anything indicating that, and with talk of 400+ side missions I doubt it.

There is still levelgating and this time whole world scales with you so you will never be more than 2 levels above enemy.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
There is still levelgating and this time whole world scales with you so you will never be more than 2 levels above enemy.
That's what I meant, remove the scaling, or at least give people options to make it less severe. And the gating is just an effect of level scaling too, it's how in Falcom games enemies do double damage for each level above you (but also give you twice the exp). Except in those games, everything is handcrafted for an optimal experience, and they have control over how you proceed in the world. In an open world game with a focus on exploration, this will just lead to frustration.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I meant, remove the scaling, or at least give people options to make it less severe. And the gating is just an effect of level scaling too, it's how in Falcom games enemies do double damage for each level above you (but also give you twice the exp). Except in those games, everything is handcrafted for an optimal experience, and they have control over how you proceed in the world. In an open world game with a focus on exploration, this will just lead to frustration.
in the case of AC, my problem isn't even scaling, i have no problem with forcing difficulty that way, but really disliked how the missions sometimes scaled, forcing you to to some side missions just to level up, and if you don't, most enemies almost one shot you. it's ridiculous.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Those days of AC when you could go anywhere and do anything are over. They are sticking with this RPG setup so there is nothing they can do to remove. And to be honest i would just like them to make possible for you to 1 shot kill any enemy if you get close without him noticing you and have more variety in mission design.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I guess another, deeper problem is that it forces you to do sidequests, when instead there should be a critical path in any modern RPG that doesn't rely 100% on you doing sidequests. I mean, I get their thinking here, "we have these sidequests, so shouldn't people do some of them?"
But for all the clamouring about being like the Witcher 3, they missed the biggest thing about that game: It doesn't force you to do sidequests. The main quests give you enough exp to power you through the game.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I guess another, deeper problem is that it forces you to do sidequests, when instead there should be a critical path in any good RPG that doesn't rely 100% on you doing sidequests. I mean, I get their thinking here, "we have these sidequests, so shouldn't people do some of them?"
But for the clamouring about being like the Witcher 3, they missed the biggest thing about that game: It doesn't force you to do sidequests. The main quests give you enough exp to power you through the game.

Exactly!
The biggest problem Origins has, and it should have been screamed about from the reviews of the time, is the side missions.
They're shit but you must do them.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yeah, games that don't calculate their XP gain for main story path runs (with no sort of trick to quickly gain xp) are what I hate most.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Just played a cheater on FIFA 19 :/

Playing division rivals, go 1-0 up, the other guy kicks off, I get the ball back then my game just happens to alt tab out and disconnect me? lol ok

Literally never happened before, so it's definitely something he did. Pretty pathetic

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
The next version of HDMI is supposed to support Variable Refresh Rates. Whether that makes Gsync and freesync obsolete or even just cheaper remains to be seen though.
It will be HDMI 2.1, we already have 2.

You'll just see Nvidia not support it, they'll find some excuse like customer value, or some other bullshit.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Just played a cheater on FIFA 19 :/

Playing division rivals, go 1-0 up, the other guy kicks off, I get the ball back then my game just happens to alt tab out and disconnect me? lol ok

Literally never happened before, so it's definitely something he did. Pretty pathetic

I don't think cheaters have the means to alt+tab your game. Otherwise, being disconnected should be the least of your worries.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I think I know what this person mean, but not sure. The grammar is very impressive though.
I know exactly what the sender means, because I got hundreds of emails like it back in the day. And the grammar isn't too far from the norm either, you have to remember that these are all emails from people who didn't read the readme file ;)

What surprised me is that I got it now, I haven't had one like it this year so far I think. Apparently some people are still using DSFix for the first time in late 2018.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There will always be new people. I know of a couple myself who just tried it this year.

Actually, talking of weird DSfix issues. Durante, I sent you a PM on the old site about a problem I had with DSfix. You said to check the directories were all correct, which they were. My hard drive died shortly after. When I got a new one I set it up in exactly the same way I did before and it worked no problems.

Always wondered since if DSfix was the first clue to the future hard drive failure. Sure was weird.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
44097858495_fed04a21e5_o.gif

45007056141_9846d646e8_o.gif

Definitely hyping myself up for this. I did enjoy Origins more just because of how pretty it was, so if the writing improves, this should be a fantastic game.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Come sure isn't a quick game. 5h played, and it seems I'm not done with the tutorials and intro yet.

But I like it. The writing is supringsly good.

Lockpicking though, that I don't like.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Played around 3:30h of Shadow Warrior 2 now.
Its not that bad, but the leveldesign feels far worse compared to 1, even in the non-generated levels. And the procedually generated levels really dont feel natural at all.

I like that the hub world always has different seasons and weather.

The gunplay feels good, but with levels, effects etc. killing monsters doesnt feel like a shooter and more like a hybrid RPG like Borderlands.

Also that fast step skill is kinda breaking the game. It almost feels like cheating if I can reach the mission objective in 2 minutes if I ignore enemies.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf Shadow of the Tomb Raider caused my computer to restart? Reloaded the game and my PC restarted at the exact same spot in the cutscene and now my game profile / savegame is completely gone. Just great. I was over 6 hours in...
The port is all kinds of wonky for me with the game not working with my multi monitor + sound system over HDMI setup. My Xbox One controller also stopped working today until I enabled steam controller input in the settings.

Shame I can't refund cause I bought it on cdkeys. Not in the mood to replay the whole beginning with all the other great games coming out right now. What a waste.

Edit:
Pweh, restarted the game again and my savefiles are not actually gone. At least that's a small relief. Updated my graphics driver and got past the cutscene in question now.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf Shadow of the Tomb Raider caused my computer to restart? Reloaded the game and my PC restarted at the exact same spot in the cutscene and now my game profile / savegame is completely gone. Just great. I was over 6 hours in...

The port is all kinds of wonky for me with the game not working with my multi monitor + sound system over HDMI setup. My Xbox One controller also stopped working today until I enabled steam controller input in the settings.

Shame I can't refund cause I bought it on cdkeys. Not in the mood to replay the whole beginning with all the other great games coming out right now. What a waste.

That's symptomatic of something a bit worse than just your computer restarting. If it crashed that hard, something else is off.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you on this. The games style, music, combat and writing are right up my alley but the difficulty spikes coupled with the fact that you can pay to come back to life on the spot sour the experience for me. I don't mind paying for f2p games but i don't think I'll ever pay for "lives" like you would in an arcade ever again.
i don't necessarily find the paying for lives bad tbh. there's a lot of quests you can do to get kill coins and dying has only happened to me twice and even if you pay for lives they're pretty cheap (here it's 5c usd, even less than a quarter!)

i just find the tuning of the game to be a bit much, and everything feels too fleeting to make progress feel truly rewarding. yeah you permanently unlock new floors for your elevator and blueprints and your mastery points and money carry on between fighters but the things that matter most are always degrading and you risk your character every time you go out and idk it's just not much of a good time

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not go there, fam.

Besides, best character of the year is Yanishigita
EF21ECB620991065EEF5BEBDCFB73621C7C49CC4
Not sure why Spike Chunsoft is locking out 80% of the potential audience of this game behind a 50$ price point. I guess you could just assume you'll get their money eventually when it goes on a deep sale, but a game like this could have a huge cult following, which is pretty hard if less people play it at launch. So it risks falling under the cracks and being forgotten.
Pricing a game as high as possible and hoping on Sales to save you is such a dumb and outdated strategy on Steam these days. This isn't the Switch, where there is far less competition and there is a higher barrier of entrance.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Not sure why Spike Chunsoft is locking out 80% of the potential audience of this game behind a 50$ price point. I guess you could just assume you'll get their money eventually when it goes on a deep sale, but a game like this could have a huge cult following, which is pretty hard if less people play it at launch. So it risks falling under the cracks and being forgotten.
Pricing a game as high as possible and hoping on Sales to save you is such a dumb and outdated strategy on Steam these days. This isn't the Switch, where there is far less competition and there is a higher barrier of entrance.
They prob. realize the game is niche and price it so they'd get the most from those really into VN and the style of 428. Just my guess :X

It's well worth the price for me, but do get it when it's at an attractive price point for you~

Status
Not open for further replies.