City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Got it—thanks for these suggestions.
It should be noted that Ryzen 1600 is midrange but great value ($189) with the added benefit of Ryzen line being forward compatible with am4 main boards, in case you wanted to further upgrade your CPU down the line (at least for a couple of years), while i7 8700K is high end ($370) but breaks compatibility all the time.

In terms of power/price range think of it as GTX 1060 vs. 1080 before the crypto craze.

Oct 26, 2017
My question is a tad broad, but I'll focus it a bit. I'm looking to improve frame pacing in my games, as micro stutter (alongside screen tearing) irks me a good amount. The game I'm trying to smooth out right now is Dark Souls III. I've got it down to relatively smooth, with it hovering around 16.9ms and climbing occasionally to ~20ms. There's also some spikes, but they're not too frequent, I suppose. Yet I see videos online of some people playing (other) games with a consistent, never-fluctuating 16.6ms, and I get bothered when the best I can do is this. Is this possible in this particular title?

DS3 also runs at 59fps, not 60. I can't find a way to get it up to 60 either, so it must be hardwired into the game or something. And yes, other games on my PC run at 60 FPS.

Anyway, I know it's a game-by-game basis, but what are seen as the best settings to improve frame pacing for DS3? And what about in general? I've got RTSS Framerate Limit to 60, with Nvidia Control Panel settings being:
Max re-rendered frames: 1
Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
Threaded optimization: On
Triple buffering: On
Vertical sync: On

My PC specs:
Intel i5-6600K
GTX 1070
16GB RAM
128GB SSD with DS3 installed on it

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I need help guys, I'm very frustrated.

In an effort to get Gears 4 working on the current build of Win 10 (which now works) I signed out of my microsoft administrator account and set up a quick and easy local account. However now whenever my PC boots it tries to boot to the local account, says the password is incorrect, and I have to click on the bottom left to select my MS account and enter my password.

How the hell do I remove this local account? I've tried everything online from netplwiz command to going to the accounts setting in the Win 10 settings app and this mysterious local account never shows up, but it always shows up on the login screen. Any help?

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
Probably a dumb question, but: Does the amount of RAM actually effect performance for gameplay? I have only 8GB of DDR4 RAM by one stick but plan on going to 16 once the price is right

2nd question: do you think I will get more performance out of a GTX1070 8GB compared to my MSI RX480 GAMING X 8GB?

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
2nd question: do you think I will get more performance out of a GTX1070 8GB compared to my MSI RX480 GAMING X 8GB?

50% more performance
ONd1CvB.png

squall211

Jan 24, 2018
Hey guys,

So I have this incredibly weird issue where hooking my microphone up to my PC (blue yeti) will cause my PC to completely freeze if i am doing anything internet related, meaning trying to play an online game, voice chat in discord, etc. If I disconnect the microphone, everything works just fine. Any ideas why this might be happening?

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Hey guys,

So I have this incredibly weird issue where hooking my microphone up to my PC (blue yeti) will cause my PC to completely freeze if i am doing anything internet related, meaning trying to play an online game, voice chat in discord, etc. If I disconnect the microphone, everything works just fine. Any ideas why this might be happening?
How is it connected? USB? Front panel mic port?

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
It's connected via USB.
Try this "best answer" from http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/56009-35-computer-freezes-plug-port :

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
If I get a wired USB hub, will it add latency to something like a controller or fight stick if I plug them in through there?

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If I get a wired USB hub, will it add latency to something like a controller or fight stick if I plug them in through there?
Battle(non)sense did a good video on this very subject a while ago.

In short: No, there shouldn't be any additional lag. The video is mainly about gaming mice, but I assume other controllers wouldn't gain any noticeable input lag either.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've just had a very bad experience with GeForce Experience's driver update

I'm planning to play Kingdom Come and I remember that I haven't updated my driver in ages. So I opened the program and conveniently the Kingdom Come optimized driver is displayed at the very top. The program let me update my driver directly from there, so I did it. But after it finished downloading and installing, my display just went dark completely. Then after force-restarting my PC, it won't enter Windows 10 at all. The loading screen stuck right there, just like this:

1CpsygK.png

I remember that previously I've had a similar issue with my laptop. And I remember that it was due to my mistake by installing the wrong version of the driver. So it makes me wonder, why did GeForce Experience installed the wrong driver for me? Is it such an unreliable program?

Anyway, now after dealing with safe mode and getting back into Windows 10. I'm not sure what to do next. I believe I have to uninstall my old driver first, but I can't find it in installed programs in control panel.

BEQJYJo.png

Should I just uninstall GeForce Experience? And how about my installed driver, how do I uninstall it?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Now that Bayonetta 2 is out on the Switch, I would like to play my copy of Bayonetta 1 on Steam before I move to that. Unfortunately, all I get is a white screen with game audio in the background. It also crashes my nvidia display driver and I end up running the Windows basic display driver after attempting to launch the game. What's weird is the game used to work for me, but I just can't remember if that was before I got my 1080 ti (had a 780 before), or after.

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Now that Bayonetta 2 is out on the Switch, I would like to play my copy of Bayonetta 1 on Steam before I move to that. Unfortunately, all I get is a white screen with game audio in the background. It also crashes my nvidia display driver and I end up running the Windows basic display driver after attempting to launch the game. What's weird is the game used to work for me, but I just can't remember if that was before I got my 1080 ti (had a 780 before), or after.

From what I've read on the steam forums, its seems like you need to change the game's resolution. Make the game windowed and go to the menu screen and change it.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
From what I've read on the steam forums, its seems like you need to change the game's resolution. Make the game windowed and go to the menu screen and change it.
Hmm, haven't thought of that. My PC used to be connected to a 1080p monitor, but is now hooked up to my 4k TV. I wonder if that's what's causing issues.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any PCIe device should work in any PCIe slot.
If the motherboard uses open-ended slots, you can even run an x16 card in an x1 slot - at reduced performance of course.

Often times motherboards are fitted with x16 slots but those may only be wired up for x4 or x8 electrically.
And you often have options in the BIOS for how the PCIe bandwidth is assigned.
A reverse image search shows that you appear to have an MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS, and the manual states that the PCIe slots are wired up for:
x1
x16
x1
x1
x4 / x1​
As is typical for many motherboards, the x4 slot shares bandwidth with the x1 slots, so you can either run a single device at x4 speed, disabling the three x1 slots, or use up to four devices at x1 speed.
It doesn't apply to your board, but another common PCIe setup is to have the x16 slot be switchable between x16 and x8, which enables the use of a second x8 slot on the board for a dual GPU setup (in x16 mode, the x8 slot is disabled).

thanks for the explanation! i didn't realise they worked like that. so i could just stick the sound card into any available PCIe slot then?

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Just an FYI for anyone with the same issue, the latest 390.77 Nvidia driver was causing bsod when playing SFV. I've since rolled back to the previous Nvidia driver and it's stopped happening and running as normal.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
thanks for the explanation! i didn't realise they worked like that. so i could just stick the sound card into any available PCIe slot then?
Yes, you just have to be able to physically fit the card into the slot - which is why newer boards typically come with open-ended x1 slots.
You just have to be aware of the way that bandwidth is set up for your board, and may have to change BIOS options to get it working.
For example: you don't want to put a video card (if you only have one) into an x4 slot, even though it will work. To use any of the x1 slots requires that you switch the x4 slot to x1 mode in the BIOS, since that bandwidth is shared.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably a really dumb question but one I haven't really ever needed to think about. When connecting a monitor or TV to a computer, do you need to power off everything first? I recently got an OLED and eventually i want to test out some PC gaming on it and since i need to drag a really long cable across the floor, I'll need to plug in/unplug quite often. If I can just plug in the TV whenever with no issues, it would be good.

I also want to keep my current monitor plugged in while using the TV, is there an easy way to choose which one is the default screen? Never used a multi monitor setup.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
If I can just plug in the TV whenever with no issues, it would be good.
You should be able to do this but if you want to be on the safe side then make sure that TV is off (as in off, not in standby) when doing this.

I also want to keep my current monitor plugged in while using the TV, is there an easy way to choose which one is the default screen?
Sure, you select your primary screen in Windows display settings.

Last edited:

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Cant seem to get rid of this browser hijack or whatever it is. Periodically it will open up a tab in my Firefox to which it says "deceptive attack site ahead"

Tried scanning, Stinger, and HijackThis to no avail

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Cant seem to get rid of this browser hijack or whatever it is. Periodically it will open up a tab in my Firefox to which it says "deceptive attack site ahead"

It's probably a malicious ad on a website you,are visiting, rather than something local.

IRObot82

Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone know of a program I can run that will keep track of the MAC addresses connected to my router and give me a breakdown of how much data they consume in a month? I feel like my GB burn for a month is a few hunder more GB's than it should be.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know of a program I can run that will keep track of the MAC addresses connected to my router and give me a breakdown of how much data they consume in a month? I feel like my GB burn for a month is a few hunder more GB's than it should be.
You'll have to run such program on your router which is likely impossible.
Some routers have such logging built-in though.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have the same problem with TVs and HDR where HDR output is dim and has a red tint to it? What causes this? Why does selecting "Use NVIDIA Settings" under "Adjust desktop color settings" in my Nvidia control panel fix this? And why do I have to keep doing this everytime I restart my PC?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Is it automatically opening Firefox with no input from you at all? If so, I'd say burn the install with fire (copy everything relevant to external drives or Cloud, format drive and reinstall Windows). Otherwise, it's probably an ad being loaded by a website. Are you using an ad-blocker?

pooptest

Oct 27, 2017
I need help guys, I'm very frustrated.

In an effort to get Gears 4 working on the current build of Win 10 (which now works) I signed out of my microsoft administrator account and set up a quick and easy local account. However now whenever my PC boots it tries to boot to the local account, says the password is incorrect, and I have to click on the bottom left to select my MS account and enter my password.

How the hell do I remove this local account? I've tried everything online from netplwiz command to going to the accounts setting in the Win 10 settings app and this mysterious local account never shows up, but it always shows up on the login screen. Any help?

Few things you can try.
- sign in with your Microsoft account and then go to Computer Management (Run > compmgmt.msc) and see if you have a place to see User Accounts and remove it. Then, to save disk space, remove the account in Control Panel > System > Advanced Settings > User Profiles and delete the now "unknown account".

- Run > "control userpasswords2" (without quotes) and see if you can select the Microsoft account and then click apply. There's a select/un-select trick to it. Either way, once you select the one you want and apply, it should auto go to that account at startup. Alternatively, you should be able to save your password so it auto signs into that account without needing to type in your password.

- User Accounts in 10 should show up in Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage Another Account and be able to delete the local account while signed into the Microsoft account.

Not sure, but some things to try and good luck!

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Is it automatically opening Firefox with no input from you at all? If so, I'd say burn the install with fire (copy everything relevant to external drives or Cloud, format drive and reinstall Windows). Otherwise, it's probably an ad being loaded by a website. Are you using an ad-blocker?

Yeah it is..and its been doing it for weeks. Bitdefender cant even figure out whats wrong

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it is..and its been doing it for weeks. Bitdefender cant even figure out whats wrong

Something very very wrong somewhere, then. As a "it could just be something simple" step, uninstall and reinstall Firefox and make sure there's no weird add-ons running. But I honestly think it's something deeper than that, so... If it were me, I'd do the format/reinstall. Assuming you're on Windows 10 it's not too hard (worst part is downloading the latest version of Windows onto USB).

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Something very very wrong somewhere, then. As a "it could just be something simple" step, uninstall and reinstall Firefox and make sure there's no weird add-ons running. But I honestly think it's something deeper than that, so... If it were me, I'd do the format/reinstall. Assuming you're on Windows 10 it's not too hard (worst part is downloading the latest version of Windows onto USB).

Might have to do that..thanks

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to install Linux so I can dual boot between Windows/Linux. However, when it comes to partitioning my drive it won't let me. I have a 1TB SSD with 743GB currently available and I only want to create a ~100GB partition. When I try to shrink the partition by 100GB it says "There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation." I tried deleting a couple games to free up some space (~100GB), I've tried emptying my recycle bin, cleaning the drive, optimising it (trim/defragment), and rescanning it in Disk Management but it still keeps saying this. I have no idea why it's not letting me use 100GB when I have 743GB free.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Probably a dumb question, but: Does the amount of RAM actually effect performance for gameplay? I have only 8GB of DDR4 RAM by one stick but plan on going to 16 once the price is right

Using two sticks of RAM makes it much faster. This may result in less stuttering in open world games like fallout 4.

Upgrading to 16gb won't make much difference in most games, unless you have a lot of background games running. Upgrading your GPU should be your first priority.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I've just had a very bad experience with GeForce Experience's driver update

I'm planning to play Kingdom Come and I remember that I haven't updated my driver in ages. So I opened the program and conveniently the Kingdom Come optimized driver is displayed at the very top. The program let me update my driver directly from there, so I did it. But after it finished downloading and installing, my display just went dark completely. Then after force-restarting my PC, it won't enter Windows 10 at all. The loading screen stuck right there, just like this:

1CpsygK.png

I remember that previously I've had a similar issue with my laptop. And I remember that it was due to my mistake by installing the wrong version of the driver. So it makes me wonder, why did GeForce Experience installed the wrong driver for me? Is it such an unreliable program?

Anyway, now after dealing with safe mode and getting back into Windows 10. I'm not sure what to do next. I believe I have to uninstall my old driver first, but I can't find it in installed programs in control panel.

BEQJYJo.png

Should I just uninstall GeForce Experience? And how about my installed driver, how do I uninstall it?

I had this issue when Windows 10 downloaded one of the bigger updates. What worked for me was opening Windows 10 in Safe Mode, downloading newest Nvidia drivers and checking "perform a clean installation" during Custom Installation. That removed the old drivers and replaced it with the newest.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a definitive way to disable xbox dvr?

I mean that the process isn't running at all?

I looked it up, 2 ways, one is disable it in the Xbox app - impossible because I do not have a Microsoft account and second, to do some registry editing, which I would rather avoid for obvious reasons.

What I wanna know, is there a better way, can't I just disable a process so it doesn't run?

Works wonders with Windows update service... lol.

PS: This question relates to Windows 10 "anniversary update", not "creators update"
(creators update is not working on my laptop not a chance)

Last edited:

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Is playing at 30 fps on pc the same as consoles? I have bought a decent pc recently and coming from consoles, 60 fps is great, but i want to play Final fantasy XV and i doubt my ryzen 3 1200, gtx 1060 and 8gb ram can get the game to run at 60 fps at ultra at 1080p, i know i can limit the framerate at 30 fps with a program like rivatuner, would those 30fps feel the same as playing the game on a ps4?

I have tested it with other games like dying light and witcher 3 but i don't know if it's me but sonething feels off.

Deleted member 19293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, guys. I have a weird question for you. I've been thinking about updating my gaming computer. I haven't really experienced a lot of problems with it or anything along those lines. I game at 1080p. I have an older build with an i5 4690k (I never overclock), 16GB DDR3 RAM at 1600MHz, and a 1060 6GB. It's an older LGA 1150 motherboard. I could get like an i7, but I can't really improve this machine much more. And there's no real update path. I realize that no matter what I do, I'll have to upgrade a motherboard, RAM, and a new copy of Windows in addition to a processor. Is there any benefit to moving to a Ryzen 5? Or is it better to sit tight?

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
Alright I have a problem that is driving me crazy, as of 2 days ago my XB270HU monitor has stopped waking up from sleep, its like the displayport cable is not getting a signal. Ive checked dozens of sites. Ive replaced the cable. Shut down and powered off everything. Removing and reinstalling all the drivers, rolling back to older drivers. Changed settings in windows.
The graphics card is a 980 TI it has three ports and Ive tried them all. Even just hitting the power button on the monitor then turning it back on puts it in "no input signal" The only thing that works is unplugging the cable then plugging it back in, and even then thats not 100 percent of the time. I have a second monitor connected by DVI, that monitor has no problem going into and waking up from a low power state.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rival

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Midlands
Little bit of help gents. I currently have a dual monitor* set up. One if an actual monitor, the other a 4k LG TV. The problem I'm having is that whenever I try and play a game on the TV, I get some intermittent black screening. The screen will randomly go black every now and then sometimes really frequently and sometimes not at all.

This only happens during games and only in the TV.

It's connected via a long Hdmi cable as there are no display ports on the TV

Any ideas?

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
So I just got a 4k TV! I have it hooked up to my PC along with my 1080p monitor, trying to figure out what to do regarding resolutions...

Basically, I want to enable more custom resolutions in between 1080p and 4k since my 1070 obviously can't 4k60 everything. Problem is that NVidia won't let you have DSR and custom resolutions at the same time, and I still want to downsample >1080p resolutions whenever I play on my monitor.

Would my best bet be to just set loads of these custom resolutions to use both as downsampling on the 1080p monitor as well as compromises on the 4k TV? My concern is how well that'll work on the monitor compared to DSR which I've been using for a while now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is playing at 30 fps on pc the same as consoles? I have bought a decent pc recently and coming from consoles, 60 fps is great, but i want to play Final fantasy XV and i doubt my ryzen 3 1200, gtx 1060 and 8gb ram can get the game to run at 60 fps at ultra at 1080p, i know i can limit the framerate at 30 fps with a program like rivatuner, would those 30fps feel the same as playing the game on a ps4?

I have tested it with other games like dying light and witcher 3 but i don't know if it's me but sonething feels off.

FPS caps in many games tend to be pretty poor, analysing them w/MSI Afterburner stats you often see wildly variable frame times.

I've found using a Rivatuner forced 30fps cap fine, to my eyes it looks just like a well frame paced console game. It's obviously jarring compared to the mostly 60fps you're likely playing on PC but not much to do about that alas.

You can implement Rivatuner settings on an individual basis by exe files, which is what I do for my 30fps limited games (Gurumin, Jet Set Radio, NiGHTS etc.). A conundrum does arise though when you get 30fps games with 60fps menus ala FFX HD D:

Little bit of help gents. I currently have a dual monitor* set up. One if an actual monitor, the other a 4k LG TV. The problem I'm having is that whenever I try and play a game on the TV, I get some intermittent black screening. The screen will randomly go black every now and then sometimes really frequently and sometimes not at all.

This only happens during games and only in the TV.

It's connected via a long Hdmi cable as there are no display ports on the TV

Any ideas?

I had a very similar problem before, it stopped once I swapped to another HDMI lead...but weirdly the lead that was seemingly causing problems has been fine since I connected it to my Switch instead.

Last edited:

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
My PC randomly shuts off and immediately restarts. Happens after extremely variable amounts of time, usually between 30 minutes to 6 hours. I've been told that this could be the RAM, the CPU, the GPU OR the PSU. That's like most of the computer. How do I begin to diagnose this without spending any money?

Deleted member 19293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, guys. I have a weird question for you. I've been thinking about updating my gaming computer. I haven't really experienced a lot of problems with it or anything along those lines. I game at 1080p. I have an older build with an i5 4690k (I never overclock), 16GB DDR3 RAM at 1600MHz, and a 1060 6GB. It's an older LGA 1150 motherboard. I could get like an i7, but I can't really improve this machine much more. And there's no real update path. I realize that no matter what I do, I'll have to upgrade a motherboard, RAM, and a new copy of Windows in addition to a processor. Is there any benefit to moving to a Ryzen 5? Or is it better to sit tight?

Any thoughts on this, anyone?

Deleted member 19293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you just really need something, it's better to hold tight. There's a Z390 chipset coming for Intel, and an X470 chipset coming from AMD. The AMD stuff should hit fairly soon with moderate clock RAM improvements.

I really appreciate the advice. I'm not really hurting for an update right now. Not that I'm in a huge rush to spend money for marginal or slim improvements or anything. I was just thinking about the lack of an upgrade path I have to move forward with my current stuff. Thanks a lot!

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Any thoughts on this, anyone?

I'd be tempted to say "Yes, there's a benefit, but it's not worth it". The multi-threading will give you a boost, especially in multi-tasking applications, but games are a bit hit-and-miss with true support for multi-threading. The fact that you'd have to buy motherboard/RAM and Windows would mean it's closer to a side-grade that an upgrade, and if you're only gaming at 1080p, you probably won't notice much of a difference. If you're looking at getting a 1440p monitor, then it's definitely worth an upgrade, but if it were me in that case, 1440p monitor first, and then wait for a cheap 8gb 1080 graphics card to get the most out of 1440p gaming.

Willing to be corrected here, though - I've only kept one eye on the Ryzen 5s.