dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Not a PC question specifically but sorta related.

I wanna plug in my 3.5 mm headphones into my phone (headphones dont have a mic on them). If I buy something cheapo like this -

I am pretty sure the headphones will work. But will I be able to take calls with it? Like use the mic in the phone and the headphones for audio? Or does plugging this thing into the USB C port disable the phone mic?
Depends on the adapter specs as it's a DAC/ADC basically so whatever it can do it will do. These adapters are usually quite finicky though, I've heard a lot of them can't provide more than mono sound even. So be careful when choosing one.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
My 3070 decide to die yesterday, luckily EVGA has 3 years warenty, so I sent it in but won't know the status and also I don't know if they even have any GPU's to replace it with, so I went to microcenter and got a refurbished 3080 founders edition with 2 years warrenty for $450. Was that a ok deal or should I have gotten something cheap to tide me over till my 3070 either get fixed or replaced?

Crisium

Oct 25, 2017
My 3070 decide to die yesterday, luckily EVGA has 3 years warenty, so I sent it in but won't know the status and also I don't know if they even have any GPU's to replace it with, so I went to microcenter and got a refurbished 3080 founders edition with 2 years warrenty for $450. Was that a ok deal or should I have gotten something cheap to tide me over till my 3070 either get fixed or replaced?

It's not a bad deal, but 10GB cards are beginning to show some age too and require settings to be dropped in some games. A 4070 isn't too much more expensive, is just as fast, has 2GB extra VRAM, lower power consumption, and a richer feature set (frame generation, AV1 support). If you can stretch to accommodate a 4070, or better yet a 4070 Super, they are better products.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
It's not a bad deal, but 10GB cards are beginning to show some age too and require settings to be dropped in some games. A 4070 isn't too much more expensive, is just as fast, has 2GB extra VRAM, lower power consumption, and a richer feature set (frame generation, AV1 support). If you can stretch to accommodate a 4070, or better yet a 4070 Super, they are better products.

My CPU is Ryzen 5 5600x, will it bottleneck the 4070 or 4070 super?

Crisium

Oct 25, 2017
My CPU is Ryzen 5 5600x, will it bottleneck the 4070 or 4070 super?

My general opinion is that a 5600X is fine paired with up to a 4070 Super or 7900 GRE class card. Beyond that, CPU bottleneck starts to rear its face too often. Based on Hardware Unboxed videos i've seen. So it's fine but definitely would be the last GPU upgrade with that CPU for you.

Clear_Strelok

Mar 22, 2018
Hey guys! After a few month trying (and failing) to solve the absolutely insane shader cache stuttering issues with AMD, (which affects any and all DX11 and below games to a degree that ranges from slightly annoying to unbearable) I'm now trying to return my RX 7900GRE as defective. I am however a bit curious: is the situation better on that front with newer Nvidia GPUS such as the RTX 4070 ?

I did have a GTX 1080 since 2017 before switching to the RX 7900 this spring so I know that the shader cache situation never was an issue at all with that GPU, and that whatever the hell AMD is doing with its drivers is to blame for this brand new issue, but I'm wondering if newer Nvidias GPUs are still a safe bet ?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I am however a bit curious: is the situation better on that front with newer Nvidia GPUS such as the RTX 4070 ?
Shader compilation issues are the same on all GPUs since they are basically a CPU issue. Whatever you had on the 7900GRE you will have on the 4070 too - assuming that it really was shader compilation issues and not something else entirely.
Faster GPUs can exacerbate the issue as you're more CPU limited on them meaning that there's a higher chance that a shader compilation will stop the game from running on the CPU. Also faster GPUs give higher fps at which any stutters are easier to notice as the frametime variance becomes X times bigger.

Clear_Strelok

Mar 22, 2018
Shader compilation issues are the same on all GPUs since they are basically a CPU issue. Whatever you had on the 7900GRE you will have on the 4070 too - assuming that it really was shader compilation issues and not something else entirely.
This absolutely is shader compilation stutter, as it behaves like it, is entirely tied to new assets being displayed and every individual occurence is cleared up afterwards (although the shader cache also seem to forget entirely about its own content is a few situations). It's also not tied to any meaningful increase in framerate or CPU limitation, since the game I've tested to make sure that the issue was indeed on the GPU are locked at the same 60Hz vsync as before, with the difference in power only applied to rendering resolution.

The only difference between these games stuttering like hell and them not stuttering at all (or with such little impact that it barely registers on the frametime and is not discernable to the eye) has been to swap the GTX 1080 and the RX7900GRE, which is very annoying due to having to DDU back and forth, but it, along with similar reports I'm seeing from RX7000 owners that are losing their minds, indicates that there's something very wrong with the GPU that's entirely outside my control.

Now, what I'm wondering is wether or not this is also an issue on more recent Nvidia GPUs or is just tied to AMD. Anyone who's coming from a GTX 1080 or similar to an RTX 4000 and was able to test that games which they can verify had little to no issues on a fresh shader cache still behave the same ?

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
This absolutely is shader compilation stutter, as it behaves like it, is entirely tied to new assets being displayed and every individual occurence is cleared up afterwards (although the shader cache also seem to forget entirely about its own content is a few situations). It's also not tied to any meaningful increase in framerate or CPU limitation, since the game I've tested to make sure that the issue was indeed on the GPU are locked at the same 60Hz vsync as before, with the difference in power only applied to rendering resolution.

The only difference between these games stuttering like hell and them not stuttering at all (or with such little impact that it barely registers on the frametime and is not discernable to the eye) has been to swap the GTX 1080 and the RX7900GRE, which is very annoying due to having to DDU back and forth, but it, along with similar reports I'm seeing from RX7000 owners that are losing their minds, indicates that there's something very wrong with the GPU that's entirely outside my control.

Now, what I'm wondering is wether or not this is also an issue on more recent Nvidia GPUs or is just tied to AMD. Anyone who's coming from a GTX 1080 or similar to an RTX 4000 and was able to test that games which they can verify had little to no issues on a fresh shader cache still behave the same ?

I assume you're familiar with this, but it's just AMD, and cannot be fixed on 7000 series cards as the solution (if it is even a solution) does not work on 7000 series. https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/1b26iqb/ultimate_fix_for_dx11_stutters_chrome_stutters/

Shader cache stutter in general is everywhere and unavoidable in offending games, but what you're having isn't normal and won't happen on a 4070.

Last edited:

Clear_Strelok

Mar 22, 2018
I assume you're familiar with this, but it's just AMD, and cannot be fixed on 7000 series cards as the solution (if it is even a solution) does not work on 7000 series. https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/1b26iqb/ultimate_fix_for_dx11_stutters_chrome_stutters/

Shader cache stutter in general is everywhere and unavoidable in offending games, but what you're having isn't normal and won't happen on a 4070.
Thank you for easing my doubts on the matter ! I did see this and initially dismissed it since every other "fix" turned out to be the usual snake oil applied on a festering wound, but it does actually seem to be the culprit and the fact that I can't bypass such a widespread and profoundly game breaking issue because it is somehow now intrinsically tied to the hardware is absolutely insane.

DX9 and OpenGL games now also have noticeable stuttering issues, which I'm going to assume is for the same reason and didn't occur on my GTX 1080, but those are at least few and far between and more annoying than a real issue. On the other hand, the DX11 stutter issue which now appears to be universal on the RX 7900 has so far ranged from very noticeable to severe. Trying to play Prey or Mass Effect Legendary again, but with every single shader, new asset or enemy now briefly freezing the game is the kind of experience that I believe would make for a 30 minutes DF video where Dictator finally loses it.

I'll try to sell the 7900 GRE to someone who's aware of these issues and willing to put up with it as soon as possible, but unless I'm imagining things it really feels like shader compilation stutter being retroactively added or made worse than it was on potentially hundred of games is a critical issue that should be adressed ASAP.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for easing my doubts on the matter ! I did see this and initially dismissed it since every other "fix" turned out to be the usual snake oil applied on a festering wound, but it does actually seem to be the culprit and the fact that I can't bypass such a widespread and profoundly game breaking issue because it is somehow now intrinsically tied to the hardware is absolutely insane.

DX9 and OpenGL games now also have noticeable stuttering issues, which I'm going to assume is for the same reason and didn't occur on my GTX 1080, but those are at least few and far between and more annoying than a real issue. On the other hand, the DX11 stutter issue which now appears to be universal on the RX 7900 has so far ranged from very noticeable to severe. Trying to play Prey or Mass Effect Legendary again, but with every single shader, new asset or enemy now briefly freezing the game is the kind of experience that I believe would make for a 30 minutes DF video where Dictator finally loses it.

I'll try to sell the 7900 GRE to someone who's aware of these issues and willing to put up with it as soon as possible, but unless I'm imagining things it really feels like shader compilation stutter being retroactively added or made worse than it was on potentially hundred of games is a critical issue that should be adressed ASAP.

Yea I do want to say my intention in linking the reddit thread is not to endorse any solution therein (as I agree there's a lot of snake oil on reddit, including in that thread), only to show that there is a known issue causing your problem, and highlight potentially interesting information about it.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so this is kind of a side-tangent to the PC Builders thread...

We've all done it. We're about to get a new computer or upgrade our current one. So we start running benchmarks. How does this game run now... and how well it will run after... ?

So as I'm about to upgrade my CPU, motherboard, and RAM... give me some suggestions. Recent stuff, heavy stuff, CPU-dependent stuff. I've already got stuff like Cyberpunk and Avatar. What are some other PC-killers that might see a notable improvement from a new CPU and DDR5?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
What are some other PC-killers that might see a notable improvement from a new CPU and DDR5?
You certainly won't see much in CP and Avatar as these are mostly GPU limited even on 4090 in 4K. Recent latest games generally aren't CPU limited although there may be some examples of bad ports and such where you may see gains.
Here's some games which may show you impressive gains when upgrading CPU: all Assassin's Creeds back from Origins, all Far Cry titles, Hitman 1/2/3, RoTTR/SoTTR, and basically anything which is old enough to be CPU limited now.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I tried pairing a DualSense controller using BT and it works great with Steam BP, BG3 and Outer Wilds but not at all on Control or Metro Exodus. AFAIK both should support DS natively, I also tried enabling Steam Input but it didn't help. Any ideas? I knew DS was a bit of a mess on Windows but expected basic controls to just work anyway.

Installing DualSenseX seems to fix the issue but that should not be needed?

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Going off above, does anyone know how to get the back paddles working for the Dualsense Edge on PC?

I'm playing Rift Apart on Steam. Everything else works fine with the full suite of Dualsense features enabled using it wired but I just can't seem to get the paddles working. I tried setting up a Steam Input profile but it seems to do nothing unless I'm doing it wrong?

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
I tried pairing a DualSense controller using BT and it works great with Steam BP, BG3 and Outer Wilds but not at all on Control or Metro Exodus. AFAIK both should support DS natively, I also tried enabling Steam Input but it didn't help.
Neither Control or Metro Exodus have native DualSense support.
If they support Xinput (for Xbox controllers) then Steam input will emulate that, with a DualSense. If it didn't work for you, you must have missed something.

Try clicking on the properties for the game, in your Steam games list. And enable Steam input with the various controllers, there.

Both of those are older games. with older games, it can also help to makes sure you have the controller setup and active, before you load the game.

Going off above, does anyone know how to get the back paddles working for the Dualsense Edge on PC?

I'm playing Rift Apart on Steam. Everything else works fine with the full suite of Dualsense features enabled using it wired but I just can't seem to get the paddles working. I tried setting up a Steam Input profile but it seems to do nothing unless I'm doing it wrong?
It's likely that at this time, the only games which truly work with backpaddles, are games with native dualsense edge support. What I mean is, native dual sense support on PC, probably does not imply DS Edge support.

Steam input can probably utilize them with a custom controller mapping. IMO, custom mappings with Steam Input aren't easy/intuitive to setup.
I had best success by downloading some which were publically uploaded, to see what was possible. And then modifying one of those.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017

I thought they had fixed it, but I couldn't get it to work either last time I tried. I had to change what the paddles do on the PS5 then plug it into the PC.

edit: K the problem is that it only overwrites the first profile, hold the left function button then press triangle to set the controller to profile 1. After that your steam settings will work.

Last edited:

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Neither Control or Metro Exodus have native DualSense support.

Incorrect, Metro Exodus (enhanced edition) does in fact have native Dualsense support with adaptive triggers, but only over wired. It won't be recognized at all over BT unless you're using emulation software like Steam Input/DS4 Windows, at which point you'll lose adaptive triggers.

However, the native implementation has a rather serious bug where you can't use the triggers to move between sections when you have the backpack open and need to modify your weapons.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's likely that at this time, the only games which truly work with backpaddles, are games with native dualsense edge support. What I mean is, native dual sense support on PC, probably does not imply DS Edge support.

Steam input can probably utilize them with a custom controller mapping. IMO, custom mappings with Steam Input aren't easy/intuitive to setup.
I had best success by downloading some which were publically uploaded, to see what was possible. And then modifying one of those.
I thought they had fixed it, but I couldn't get it to work either last time I tried. I had to change what the paddles do on the PS5 then plug it into the PC.

edit: K the problem is that it only overwrites the first profile, hold the left function button then press triangle to set the controller to profile 1. After that your steam settings will work.

For some reason it just wouldn't work so I dusted off my PS5 and just set it up there. lol

I wonder if it had anything to do with updating the controller? Regardless, I set the paddles to X and O which I assume I'll always keep so I don't see myself changing it much, though it's cool you can quickly cycle through multiple custom profiles with the function key just in case.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Incorrect, Metro Exodus (enhanced edition) does in fact have native Dualsense support with adaptive triggers, but only over wired. It won't be recognized at all over BT unless you're using emulation software like Steam Input/DS4 Windows, at which point you'll lose adaptive triggers.

However, the native implementation has a rather serious bug where you can't use the triggers to move between sections when you have the backpack open and need to modify your weapons.
Ah ha. Interestingly, pcgaming wiki doesn't have it listed for DS support.

But after your comment, I found some articles which say so.

I couldn't find anything which says Control PC or Control Ultimate Edition PC support DualSense. PS5 version of Ultimate edition supports haptics and triggers.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Ah ha. Interestingly, pcgaming wiki doesn't have it listed for DS support.

But after your comment, I found some articles which say so.

Would be nice if they fixed the inventory management screen with it so it's actually usable. :(

I couldn't find anything which says Control PC or Control Ultimate Edition PC support DualSense. PS5 version of Ultimate edition supports haptics and triggers.

Yeah, Control doesn't even have PS4/5 glyphs. It's strictly xinput only. Doh:

I could choose Xbox or PS4 symbols in the settings, when I played Control on gog.com . I played it with my DualShock 4, wired, and it worked great (through a Steam shortcut, by habit).

Whoops, you're right my bad, was probably thinking of another game.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, too long for a standard cable. And going through a wall often means tou need an extra thick guage with shielding, for a standard cable.

Either try a club 3D cable, or try a fiber optical HDMI cable.

Club 3D brand fiber hdmi at that length, would be super expensive. So, I would try a monoprice fiber cable.

***I had had good professional experience with this brand, for high bandwidth USB-C situations. Although the price seems a bit too low I would be willing to try their fiber HDMI. Customer reviews look solid, too.
Worst case, it doesn't work, and you waste a little time returning to Amazon.
I have no idea what's going on anymore.

I tried a 2m HDMI 2.1-certified cable. Same problems.

Then I switched up some Nvidia Control Panel settings after switching back to the 5m in-wall cable and it seemed to improve significantly. For some reason now, the problems only start after I enter fullscreen mode for a video or game, and then go away if I reset the HDMI connection after going into fullscreen. It's pretty much the same on a new Zeskit Maya passive 5m cable I bought.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
Anybody run an sff + portable monitor setup?
Do the USBC ports on the back of the motherboard carry display signal from the graphics card for use with the portable monitor? Mine is only USB 3.2 gen 2 and not thunderbolt, so I doubt it, but I was wondering what people do for this setup

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
I have no idea what's going on anymore.

I tried a 2m HDMI 2.1-certified cable. Same problems.

Then I switched up some Nvidia Control Panel settings after switching back to the 5m in-wall cable and it seemed to improve significantly. For some reason now, the problems only start after I enter fullscreen mode for a video or game, and then go away if I reset the HDMI connection after going into fullscreen. It's pretty much the same on a new Zeskit Maya passive 5m cable I bought.
Double check that you are connecting to the most capable HDMI ports on your TV. Some models cut costs by including some HDMI 2.0 ports, etc.

Also, try without VRR.
VRR support on TVs can be spotty.

This may sound unrelated: when is the last time you updated your mobo bios?
Sometimes bios updates can improve the experience with a GPU.

I would also make sure you have all Windows updates. And then I would wipeout your GPU drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller. Then install the latest Nvidia driver.

Anybody run an sff + portable monitor setup?
Do the USBC ports on the back of the motherboard carry display signal from the graphics card for use with the portable monitor? Mine is only USB 3.2 gen 2 and not thunderbolt, so I doubt it, but I was wondering what people do for this setup
There are very few ITX mobos which support display over USB-C. And how they do it is you run DP from your GPU into a mini-DP on the mobo. (Sometimes the mobo will include a couple of ~5 inch cables to do this) And then the mobo has a USB C output for that DP input.

I think there are 1 or 2 current Intel boards. I do t recall that feature on an AMD board, for AM5.

Much easier would be to get a DP to C/thunderbolt cable. And just go straight from the GPU.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
NVIDIA GeForce Experience doesn't work anymore and won't let me uninstall or reinstall it.
What do I do?
Not sure what that means but you can use DDU to remove GFE and other driver components and then install everything from zero.
Just remember to turn off you internet somehow when doing so or Windows will install something old and partial from Windows Update.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Not a PC question specifically but sorta related.

I wanna plug in my 3.5 mm headphones into my phone (headphones dont have a mic on them). If I buy something cheapo like this -

I am pretty sure the headphones will work. But will I be able to take calls with it? Like use the mic in the phone and the headphones for audio? Or does plugging this thing into the USB C port disable the phone mic?
In my experience, most dongles like this will work. But with these cheapo ones it might be hit-or-miss on how well it works.
I would highly recommend getting the one that Samsung or Google make, though. They'd be about 20 bucks instead of 10, but they'd be guaranteed to work properly.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
There are very few ITX mobos which support display over USB-C. And how they do it is you run DP from your GPU into a mini-DP on the mobo. (Sometimes the mobo will include a couple of ~5 inch cables to do this) And then the mobo has a USB C output for that DP input.

I think there are 1 or 2 current Intel boards. I do t recall that feature on an AMD board, for AM5.

Much easier would be to get a DP to C/thunderbolt cable. And just go straight from the GPU.

Thanks! I looked up some mobos with Thunderbolt and dp passthrough for curiosity and they were all 350-400+ range 🤯 Plus a lot of the portable monitors operate at half brightness when doing the one cable thing. Just going from the GPU makes a lot more sense right now

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Are the TV Netflix/Prime apps much better than the Windows ones? I'd prefer if I could just use my PC input is possible.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Are the TV Netflix/Prime apps much better than the Windows ones? I'd prefer if I could just use my PC input is possible.

Unfortunately yes. The PC apps are a complete mess. Unless things changed recently Netflix will only give you 720p unless you're on Edge or the Microsoft Store app, in which case you'll get 1080p. If you have the HVEC add-on, which officially costs money on Windows, you can get 4k in Netflix only if you have 1 display and use the Windows store app.

Prime peaks at 1080p on PC no matter what as far as I am aware.

I imagine there are also HDR related drawbacks but I don't know for sure.

It's watchable on PC, but the TV apps give you a much better experience with no work, and no double checking stats everytime you load something to make sure you're getting the correct quality.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021

Unfortunately yes. The PC apps are a complete mess. Unless things changed recently Netflix will only give you 720p unless you're on Edge or the Microsoft Store app, in which case you'll get 1080p. If you have the HVEC add-on, which officially costs money on Windows, you can get 4k in Netflix only if you have 1 display and use the Windows store app.

Prime peaks at 1080p on PC no matter what as far as I am aware.

I imagine there are also HDR related drawbacks but I don't know for sure.

It's watchable on PC, but the TV apps give you a much better experience with no work, and no double checking stats everytime you load something to make sure you're getting the correct quality.

Adding onto what was said above, IIRC the last time the Windows app for Netflix was updated was back in 2018. You'd be better off with a browser on your PC.
Additionally, many (but not all) TVs can properly detect and process 24p content from their native apps.
There isn't a way to do that on a PC. If you don't have a 120hz display, often results in playback with noticeable judder.