• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
this was epics turning point to becoming mostly crap
Well, i think UT3 was a good game, worse than UT2004 but still good. I remember seeing those and Gears of War bullshots back then and think "holy crap, this looks like nextgen", i was so impressed they're burned into my memory. Turned out this was just heavily edited crap that doesn't represent how game looks in reality, after that i have a grudge against games that promoting themselves with fake "gameplay" shots. That's why i've decided to try to recreate UT3 promo scenes in real game without mods by using only built-in console commands, to see the difference. It was a fun little challenge, thought turned out that downgrade is not that terrible after all. I wish Gears 2-3 were on PC, have no interest in recent Epic output either.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Well, i think UT3 was a good game, worse than UT2004 but still good. I remember seeing those and Gears of War bullshots back then and think "holy crap, this looks like nextgen", i was so impressed they're burned into my memory. Turned out this was just heavily edited crap that doesn't represent how game looks in reality, after that i have a grudge against games that promoting themselves with fake "gameplay" shots. That's why i've decided to try to recreate UT3 promo scenes in real game without mods by using only built-in console commands, to see the difference. It was a fun little challenge, thought turned out that downgrade is not that terrible after all. I wish Gears 2-3 were on PC, have no interest in recent Epic output either.
i think ut3 was awful. and the downgrade is massive. i mean they completely removed shadows from the environment. theres way things i could list more but that alone is massive

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
i think ut3 was awful. and the downgrade is massive. i mean they completely removed shadows from the environment. theres way things i could list more but that alone is massive
There was environmental shadows in previous games? Maybe i should replay them, i don't remember being impressed by shadows much in previous UT games. And they didn't removed shadows completely, I absolutely sure there is dynamic lighting and shadows in UT3, at least from players models and vehicles, orbs in warfare are example of this
E5419123D738672C9CFC5CABCDC314960F0B6847

My main grudge with UT3 graphics is more about washed out colors and overall grayish style, UT2004 had so much more variety in color palette and environments. And i don't think that UT3 gameplay are terrible, it's not a great UT games, but still fun arena FPS imo.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
There was environmental shadows in previous games? Maybe i should replay them, i don't remember being impressed by shadows much in previous UT games. And they didn't removed shadows completely, I absolutely sure there is dynamic lighting and shadows in UT3, at least from players models and vehicles, orbs in warfare are example of this
My main grudge with UT3 graphics is more about washed out colors and overall grayish style, UT2004 had so much more variety in color palette and environments. And i don't think that UT3 gameplay are terrible, it's not a great UT games, but still fun arena FPS imo.
there were environment shadows in epics bullshit prerelease media

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
there were environment shadows in epics bullshit prerelease media
Well, i'm not argue with that, there is indeed a lot stuff missing from those bullshots, but i doubt they were originally in the game in the first place, Unreal engine 3 probably wasn't able to render something like this is real time back then. Such advanced environmental shadows and lighting is rare thing in games even now, not to talk about 10 years ago.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Well, i'm not argue with that, there is indeed a lot stuff missing from those bullshots, but i doubt they were originally in the game in the first place, Unreal engine 3 probably wasn't able to render something like this is real time back then. Such advanced environmental shadows and lighting is rare thing in games even now, not to talk about 10 years ago.

yeah it was never in the game, they were flat out lying. UE3 was terrible with shadows. what an awful engine it was

unreal-tournament-200asuj2.jpg

unreal-tournament-2009gufm.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
yeah it was never in the game, they were flat out lying. UE3 was terrible with shadows. what an awful engine it was
I don't agree that UE3 was terrible in whole, some of the most beautiful games like Vanishing of Ethan Carter and BioShock Infinite were made with UE3. Hell, even original BioShock have outstanding for it's age dynamic shadows and water tech
D948E07CEA2EB8CBFF2FA5E9039C48406FFB82B3

DB93A262ECDEC112D342DFF2F17B2F60FC870C3F

I'd say it fully depends on specific devs effort, it was possible to make great looking UE3 games even in 2007

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
bioshock wasnt unreal engine 3 until infinite, which again was widely considered to be worse than the first 2
Oops, i forgot it was just UE2.5 with some tech from UE3, sorry. And let's stop our discussion here before anyone consider our talk as offtopic, i love to talk about tech but this thread is about screenshots first and game engine discussion later. Fell free to PM if you want to continue

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't notice whether this thread had an end-of-year 'best of' submissions, like it used to (also a bit unusual since it already began as '2018'), but here are a few of my favs I came across from 2017 while I remember:

amoebae - Mass Effect 3 [ReShade]

PhilGPT - Mass Effect: Andromeda

qatak - Dishonored 2 [Ansel]

R8TEDM3 - Forza Horizon: Hot Wheels

DigitalEpicness - Dying Light [ReShade]

Nov 6, 2017
I didn't notice whether this thread had an end-of-year 'best of' submissions, like it used to (also a bit unusual since it already began as '2018'), but here are a few of my favs I came across from 2017 while I remember:

amoebae - Mass Effect 3 [ReShade]

PhilGPT - Mass Effect: Andromeda

qatak - Dishonored 2 [Ansel]

R8TEDM3 - Forza Horizon: Hot Wheels

DigitalEpicness - Dying Light [ReShade]

Nice. Heres my favorite from the old place. Kudos to whomever made it and sorry for posting it in your name :P

27579402453_f32b82a737_o.jpg

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Nice. Heres my favorite from the old place. Kudos to whomever made it and sorry for posting it in your name :P

27579402453_f32b82a737_o.jpg

Hey, that's me!
I've been meaning to post more stuff here on Era, but I just haven't had much of anything spectacular to share. I revisit TW3 just about every month with new mods, and while I do like running around and taking screenshots while listening to a podcast in that game, I haven't found it to be a very compelling experience as of late with ReShade and some of the texture mods out there tanking the framerate down to single digits with DSR (1920 vertical resolution). 3440x1440 runs fine, but in the case of The Witcher 3, which has pretty bad AA (SMAA is good, but not good enough), I'm not finding the results to be clean enough for the screenshots that I want to take. As for other games, I've been having a great time with Assassins Creed: Origins on console (fine photomode out of the box), but again, with the PC version, the performance isn't really where I want it to be on my end with the GTX 980 I'm still rocking.

I'm hoping to catch a Volta card (whatever the next 1080 TI equivalent is) later this year. And I'll probably start posting more here once I have a card that I can confidently downsample modern games with.

I might have posted this one somewhere earlier in this thread already (not the freshest screenshot), but since this thread is about images, here's one so that my contribution to this page isn't just text.

37712480102_ac1dbff4bd_o.jpg

Nov 6, 2017
Hey, that's me!
I've been meaning to post more stuff here on Era, but I just haven't had much of anything spectacular to share. I revisit TW3 just about every month with new mods, and while I do like running around and taking screenshots while listening to a podcast in that game, I haven't found it to be a very compelling experience as of late with ReShade and some of the texture mods out there tanking the framerate down to single digits with DSR (1920 vertical resolution). 3440x1440 runs fine, but in the case of The Witcher 3, which has pretty bad AA (SMAA is good, but not good enough), I'm not finding the results to be clean enough for the screenshots that I want to take. As for other games, I've been having a great time with Assassins Creed: Origins on console (fine photomode out of the box), but again, with the PC version, the performance isn't really where I want it to be on my end with the GTX 980 I'm still rocking.

I'm hoping to catch a Volta card (whatever the next 1080 TI equivalent is) later this year. And I'll probably start posting more here once I have a card that I can confidently downsample modern games with.

I might have posted this one somewhere earlier in this thread already (not the freshest screenshot), but since this thread is about images, here's one so that my contribution to this page isn't just text.

37712480102_ac1dbff4bd_o.jpg

I enjoyed that screenshot a lot for some reason. Have fun with Origins until then :)

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to use HattiWatti's Cinematic Tools for Dark Souls 3, but the Extreme Injector won't start all of a sudden. Same thing with the other cameras, such as AC: Syndicate that previously worked (and same thing with Otis' cameras). Does anyone know if a recent Windows update made it impossible to start Extreme Injector?

EDIT: I had to download a newer version of EI on some weird site and now it at least runs.

Late response, but I figure others might be having the same issue and are unsure of how to fix it.

I've ended up using Remote DLL which works essentially the same way as Extreme Injector, and doesn't set off any antivirus alarms. I know the website looks shady, but the program works just fine. The 'download' button is at the bottom of the page.

Quantum Break from 4k:
quantumbreak2018-01-0xdsod.png

quantumbreak2018-01-0ifspu.png

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Snake Pass & Witcher 3
had a myriad of problems with my pc. hopefully i can get back to doing some screenshots :)
39771849311_c08c0cae96_o.jpg
27993172199_d8846651b5_o.jpg

R8tedm3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is what i like about a great
community great as this, we all could play the same same games, using the same tools, BUT everybody's vision is different! For example Nick & Hodge both played the same game as i did...yet i've never seen those unique angles as they portrayed in their screenshots...

Absolutely gorgeous:)

Mad Max | In-game | Photo-Mode | 8k

39741396032_5182aceafe_o.png

39063088754_b4654bb467_o.png

Status
Not open for further replies.