tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
GaaS os one dimension of the problem. Another is that some games cultivate a culture of "one game" deliberately or by accident. This means that people expect all their variety to come from one place.

Instead of playing something else, people demand the one thing they know should change as soon as boredom sets in.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
GaaS os one dimension of the problem. Another is that some games cultivate a culture of "one game" deliberately or by accident. This means that people expect all their variety to come from one place.

Instead of playing something else, people demand the one thing they know should change as soon as boredom sets in.

Yeah, it certainly's not good when there's some people declaring some GAAS games as dead just because they don't have new content every week

Maybe its just me, but its okay to take a break if you feel bored, then come back to play and grind whenever you feel like it

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Then your company is doing it wrong. There is value to iterative development, one being a more sustainable pace for the team. If you are being pushed past your capacity, you may be underestimating your work, or management is putting pressure on you to underestimate.
Oh, I agree. There's nothing wrong with iterative development, and I know that many companies use two week sprint cycles. But my company wasn't doing it sensibly. And yes, our upper management had a habit of setting unrealistic goals because they were the kind of assholes who thought routinely ruining their workers' lives to meet their deadlines was good leadership.

My company was even more fucked than my example. We spent a few months pushing out one release a week. It wasn't even anything terribly big each release, but the sheer pace of it and the fact that there was no room to catch your breath after the previous release was really grueling.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it certainly's not good when there's some people declaring some GAAS games as dead just because they don't have new content every week

Maybe its just me, but its okay to take a break if you feel bored, then come back to play and grind whenever you feel like it
Yup I agree so I wonder why Apex's own battle pass has the incentive to play it as much as you can or else you won't earn enough Apex dollars to afford the next battle pass.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish there would be a breaking point to stop the GaaS, what exactly would cause a breaking point though? Because I don't ever see it breaking

It will happen due to oversaturation. People can only play 1 GaaS game at a time , 2 max.

The reason you don't see more AA+ development is those areas require a niche of devoted fans, and most of those niches are filled.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
If you think this is a "hot take" you've never been a part of one of these discussions before, lol.

The narrative that developers have "no choice" but to balloon their production costs with each advance in technology is entirely false. That kind of thinking is exactly what got the industry to where it is now. In generations past, "AAA" meant that your game had to be cutting-edge in all aspects - scope, scale, graphics, physics, motion capture, you name it - and the truth is we're already well past the point of that still being financially sustainable. So many individual things are now possible (and expensive) in the current phase of this medium that you simply cannot be "the best in everything" anymore. But publishers have stubbornly refused to admit this.

What's kept this fool's errand going is some of the same absurd mental gymnastics found at many corporations these days that are run by "professional CEOs" who think only of short-term profits. "If I work my employees to death; if I can riddle this product with ancillary monetization; if I can convince consumers to make this product the only game they play, and stretch its revenue-generating timeline to double or triple what it used to be; then I keep the gravy train rolling just a little bit longer. I can get my bonus and go home without having to do the hard work of actual strategic changes. And I'll figure out some way to kick the can down the road three years from now when this solution stops working again".

The only real, sustainable solution is to realize that game budgets are too big and game expectations are too high. Consumers won't pay more than $60, and you can't profit on these overblown monstrosities at that price. Programmers are worth a lot of money, and sooner or later they will either organize, or just leave games entirely because they know they can get paid well without being senselessly abused. Publishers are going to rethink their processes when it leads to high profile multi-million dollar failures again and again and again. Someday soon this rusty, barely-seaworthy ship is going to finally sink.

The long-term necessity is to pare back. AAA projects need to downsize to "AA+". You don't need a state of the art, massive, dynamic open world, a state of the art real-world lighting and physics system, and a state of the art, dynamic motion capture process with 10,000 hours of recorded dialogue from premiere Hollywood actors. Pick and choose what you need the most resources in for your project, and downsize the others. You can be "the best" in one aspect of the medium, and "pretty good" in others, and still make a competent product that consumers want to buy. Even better, you don't have to abuse your entire workforce to make it; you can have it out in 3 years instead of 5; and you can maybe even turn a profit without disgusting post-purchase monetization whose backlash lands you on the front page of the Wall Street Journal.

The reason publishers haven't done this yet, of course, is simple: fear of the competition. "I can start making sane projects now; but if Rockstar keeps making insane projects, and the customers value them more than mine, I'm ruined!" Unfortunately, what someone thinking this way needs to realize is that they are playing a very stupid and short-sighted game of chicken where everyone will simply fall off the cliff into the abyss if nobody steps on their brake. And it's not like there aren't big-name publishers out there who haven't already successfully implemented a more streamlined, specialized strategy. Nintendo games are no longer graphically advanced. FromSoft games often have some issues in the technical department. Hell, people shower millions on games from Bethesda Game Studios, and those titles have made an art of being superlative in one aspect (i.e., narrative & worldbuilding) and literally utter shite in every other.

So no, I don't think what I'm proposing is a "hot take". In fact, I think it is the only way forward.
Usually it's a hot take. Usually it's someone with no experience saying, "Hey if they just cut costs they'd be fine", as if nobody at that company or every other company had ever thought of doing that. You did come up with an explanation though, which is good. The problem is, as you noted, who goes first? Nobody wants to go first because they'll get crushed by the other publishers, and ironically, if one or two publishers did that then GaaS might not result in a "breaking point" or "bubble pop" or whatever worst case scenario people are forecasting, so they would have screwed themselves. Then there's the question of whether gamers would accept more of such AA+ games as you call them, rather than expecting them to launch at $40 say. I don't think games like Wolfenstein II or Dishonored 2 were big successes, or Prey.

FromSoft are a success, true. They have their niche. Platinum has long been a well respected developer, however they were on the verge of going under if Nier Automata hadn't been a big success for them. Telltale had a niche too, and they went under. It seems like a lot of people would just wait to get the entire season for $5-$10, because why not, it's the same game as it was at launch. Nintendo is a whole different situation. As a first party, they earn far more per unit sold than third parties, and they have an edge on their platform with brand recognition and software development, because their consoles have unique controls and features which suits a single platform developer better than a multi-platform developer. Even so, they still have some horrific crunch tales in their history.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
raw

GaaS stations are an all-around failure, for developers and consumers. It's time to go back to what works best.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Do these games have such horrible replay value that a constant weekly stream of new stuff is necessary to keep people engaged? Im genuinely asking here.

And Mods probably definitely played a factor in the past. I remember loving for example Threewave maps getting added to games like Q3A back in the day. Just 3-5 maps was enough to enjoy for humongous stretches of time.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
cough MODS cough

Allow the community to make content then like you know... decades back.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It will happen due to oversaturation. People can only play 1 GaaS game at a time , 2 max.

This is false. People can play all GaaS games they're interested in at the same time. That's why it's a good model and better than the traditional releases for consumers. I play at least 10 GaaS games regularly.

GaaS aren't going anywhere. Oversaturation isn't a thing and won't be.

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
If you think this is a "hot take" you've never been a part of one of these discussions before, lol.

The narrative that developers have "no choice" but to balloon their production costs with each advance in technology is entirely false. That kind of thinking is exactly what got the industry to where it is now. In generations past, "AAA" meant that your game had to be cutting-edge in all aspects - scope, scale, graphics, physics, motion capture, you name it - and the truth is we're already well past the point of that still being financially sustainable. So many individual things are now possible (and expensive) in the current phase of this medium that you simply cannot be "the best in everything" anymore. But publishers have stubbornly refused to admit this.

What's kept this fool's errand going is some of the same absurd mental gymnastics found at many corporations these days that are run by "professional CEOs" who think only of short-term profits. "If I work my employees to death; if I can riddle this product with ancillary monetization; if I can convince consumers to make this product the only game they play, and stretch its revenue-generating timeline to double or triple what it used to be; then I keep the gravy train rolling just a little bit longer. I can get my bonus and go home without having to do the hard work of actual strategic changes. And I'll figure out some way to kick the can down the road three years from now when this solution stops working again".

The only real, sustainable solution is to realize that game budgets are too big and game expectations are too high. Consumers won't pay more than $60, and you can't profit on these overblown monstrosities at that price. Programmers are worth a lot of money, and sooner or later they will either organize, or just leave games entirely because they know they can get paid well without being senselessly abused. Publishers are going to rethink their processes when it leads to high profile multi-million dollar failures again and again and again. Someday soon this rusty, barely-seaworthy ship is going to finally sink.

The long-term necessity is to pare back. AAA projects need to downsize to "AA+". You don't need a state of the art, massive, dynamic open world, a state of the art real-world lighting and physics system, and a state of the art, dynamic motion capture process with 10,000 hours of recorded dialogue from premiere Hollywood actors. Pick and choose what you need the most resources in for your project, and downsize the others. You can be "the best" in one aspect of the medium, and "pretty good" in others, and still make a competent product that consumers want to buy. Even better, you don't have to abuse your entire workforce to make it; you can have it out in 3 years instead of 5; and you can maybe even turn a profit without disgusting post-purchase monetization whose backlash lands you on the front page of the Wall Street Journal.

The reason publishers haven't done this yet, of course, is simple: fear of the competition. "I can start making sane projects now; but if Rockstar keeps making insane projects, and the customers value them more than mine, I'm ruined!" Unfortunately, what someone thinking this way needs to realize is that they are playing a very stupid and short-sighted game of chicken where everyone will simply fall off the cliff into the abyss if nobody steps on their brake. And it's not like there aren't big-name publishers out there who haven't already successfully implemented a more streamlined, specialized strategy. Nintendo games are no longer graphically advanced. FromSoft games often have some issues in the technical department. Hell, people shower millions on games from Bethesda Game Studios, and those titles have made an art of being superlative in one aspect (i.e., narrative & worldbuilding) and literally utter shite in every other.

So no, I don't think what I'm proposing is a "hot take". In fact, I think it is the only way forward.

I appreciate the long post you wrote, but "fear of the competition" is inherent to the economic system we find ourselves in. Capitalism structures the behavior and decision-making by individuals and companies to such an extent that it is simply impossible to ask them to scale down or pare back. The only way out of the current "crisis" is a financial collapse as if running into a brick wall (much like climate change) or change the entire structure that motivates and mandates companies to pursue as large profits as possible every financial quarter.

CEOs, boards of executives, shareholders, investors, will never "pare back" and we are delusional if we think they can be convinced given the system we find ourselves in.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the long post you wrote, but "fear of the competition" is inherent to the economic system we find ourselves in. Capitalism structures the behavior and decision-making by individuals and companies to such an extent that it is simply impossible to ask them to scale down or pare back. The only way out of the current "crisis" is a financial collapse as if running into a brick wall (much like climate change) or change the entire structure that motivates and mandates companies to pursue as large profits as possible every financial quarter.

CEOs, boards of executives, shareholders, investors, will never "pare back" and we are delusional if we think they can be convinced given the system we find ourselves in.
The thing is, the whole crux of this "crisis" is that current AAA games production is not sustainablly profitable. Consumers will not pay more than $60 for a retail game. And you simply cannot continue to budget in everything and the kitchen sink at the grandest scale and the most bleeding technological edge at the price. Nevermind that eventually the labor issue is going to explode, because high-skilled programers simply do not have to put up with an industry where they are overworked, underpaid and abused.

Thus, it really is like a game of chicken. Your competitors might hold out in Crazytown longer than you, and that could put a temporary dent in your profits. But, whoever doesn't pull away from the edge before it's too late will explode; and do you really want to take that risk?

In sum, the problem is no matter of "the inherent drivers of capitalism", so much as it is symptomatic of the myopic, apathetic, and relentlessly short-term orientation of the modern leadership culture of large corporations. How we fix that, I don't know. So long as shareholders insist on seeing immediate gains at the expense of future ones, and corporate boards promote and hire top management who are willing to sabotage the future of the company to eek out slightly better numbers for the current quarter and then quit with a golden parachute, the status quo will be maintained.

It's bizarre, but people have basically trained themselves to be idiots who no longer even act in their own financial self-interest. They're failing the Marshmallow Test and I don't understand how investors this wrongheadedly reckless still have money to set on fire.

Last edited:

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah let's blame consumers who have had no choice but to accept the change in direction of game development, and when publishers then cannot keep their end of the bargain and the consumers rightfully express disappointment and anger, it's the consumers' fault for having unrealistic expectations. Not cultivated by the publishers seeking to constantly milk a game at the expense of their workers' health.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I used to buy some stuff here and there to support certain games, but since now I'm constantly juggling between several online GAAS when they drop new content (man I despise that word) I just don't bother anymore. I'm time strained already between PUBG, Apex, Warframe, CSGO, Fortnite and BF5, I and can't certainly support them all. Those last two are almost dropped already, and if I ever decide to finantially support any one of those games, it will probably be Warframe.

There is only so much time and money.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give me one good chunk of DLC Ă  la Old Hunters and I'm more than set. Fuck GaaS.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah let's blame consumers who have had no choice but to accept the change in direction of game development, and when publishers then cannot keep their end of the bargain and the consumers rightfully express disappointment and anger, it's the consumers' fault for having unrealistic expectations. Not cultivated by the publishers seeking to constantly milk a game at the expense of their workers' health.
Well said!

Dec 23, 2017
I say make as complete off a game that you can make initially. Publishers need to back off and allow these devs to do their thing. If it needs updates because of say a battle royal genre then you have to know what you signup for.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gaming industry with its never ending greed has cornered itself into this situation. The industry spent years pushing propaganda about "the greatness" that is GaaS, so naturally consumers have certain expectations when they buy GaaS.

Gaming industry is the only entity to blame here. Blaming consumers in this situation is pathetic stance to take.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like the need to constantly update a game wouldnt be an issue if games would stop coming out too early

That's how I feel with a lot of GaaS games I've played more recently, the service part for some seems to be the "we'll finish the rest of the game" part of development. There are far, far too many products releasing way too early and unfinished which likely backfired in their own face.

Finish the game, release it and don't hold back content in attempt to make it out like there are things coming and being added.
We've got a decent load of examples of games like this now and it's usually the higher ups at fault.

Raised in a Barn

Chicken Chaser
Mar 26, 2019
For Reason like this is that I roll eyes when people complain about "predatory/ monitarization tactics" and how those are "anti-consumer". Like, "DO YOU KNOW WHY COMPANIES IN 1st PLACE ARE DOING ALL THAT??"

they are pushing both their staff and the money machine to their limits cause the end user are demanding for more of the product but somehow cry out wolf when they get too know whats need to be done to try to meet those demands.

Is it a problem in the industry? absolutely, is it a problem created solely by evil CEO/ Management sitting in a chair while stroking a cat, hell no

Nah, it's 100% on CEOs and suits. They want to keep your attention so they keep pushing out more and more stuff so you wont get bored and buy some other game.
They want you hooked into their economy and theirs only.

No one is picketing outside of Epic or EA demanding content while burning effigies and barricading the doors.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's comical seeing gamers refuse to take any responsibility for this market they have helped to create. When gamers complained about ME3's ending, they got a new ending. When gamers complained about SWBF1 having no campaign, they got a campaign in the sequel. When gamers complained about MTX in the sequel, they got them removed. But gamers have nothing to do with anything the publishers do! Never mind the obvious fact that publishers get successful by giving the market what it wants. When a GaaS game does well, it's because that's what gamers want: more, more more. When a SP focused $60 game bombs because gamers refuse to spend $60 on something that's "only 10 hours long, wait for $20 or less", that's on gamers too. How many times do we see forum topics here or elsewhere bemoaning the lack of games like X and Y, then when one comes it doesn't sell? People cried about getting a Mirror's Edge sequel for years, and EA can barely give it away at $10. Look at Fortnite vs Apex, the former dominates on Twitch thanks to constant updates, the latter gets complaints from gamers about taking too long to release new content. Gamers caused this.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's comical seeing gamers refuse to take any responsibility for this market they have helped to create. When gamers complained about ME3's ending, they got a new ending. When gamers complained about SWBF1 having no campaign, they got a campaign in the sequel. When gamers complained about MTX in the sequel, they got them removed. But gamers have nothing to do with anything the publishers do! Never mind the obvious fact that publishers get successful by giving the market what it wants. When a GaaS game does well, it's because that's what gamers want: more, more more. When a SP focused $60 game bombs because gamers refuse to spend $60 on something that's "only 10 hours long, wait for $20 or less", that's on gamers too. Look at Fortnite vs Apex, the former dominates on Twitch thanks to constant updates, the latter gets complaints from gamers about taking too long to release new content.

Erm, regarding Fortnite and Apex, not sure how that's the gamers' responsibility considering EA opted to enter that market knowing exactly what it will take to compete with Fortnite. People demanding more are realising that EA released an inferior product as far as ongoing support is concerned.

Regarding your other points - the 'gamer' has every right to complain about a product they're unsatisfied for which they've spent money. Not sure how complaining about things that are then fixed - by all intents, the developer/publisher failing to understand their audience - is the gamers' fault. The notion that publishers are only serving a market is also a fabrication, considering the fundamental underpinning of capitalist economy is to create new wants in order to keep pursuing more profit. This is hardly a gamer-related issue, and frankly, I'd rather have gamers complain about shit all the time than allow publishers leeway considering they will never do what is in the interest of the consumer or their developers - but their bottom line.

cowbanana

Feb 2, 2018
a Socialist Utopia
Publishers did this shit to themselves in their greedy quest for all the money, and now their poor employees have to suffer for it. Shameful and exploitative industry.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Erm, regarding Fortnite and Apex, not sure how that's the gamers' responsibility considering EA opted to enter that market knowing exactly what it will take to compete with Fortnite. People demanding more are realising that EA released an inferior product as far as ongoing support is concerned.

Regarding your other points - the 'gamer' has every right to complain about a product they're unsatisfied for which they've spent money. Not sure how complaining about things that are then fixed - by all intents, the developer/publisher failing to understand their audience - is the gamers' fault. The notion that publishers are only serving a market is also a fabrication, considering the fundamental underpinning of capitalist economy is to create new wants in order to keep pursuing more profit. This is hardly a gamer-related issue, and frankly, I'd rather have gamers complain about shit all the time than allow publishers leeway considering they will never do what is in the interest of the consumer or their developers - but their bottom line.
Epic has some of the best talent in the industry, and they've been hiring like crazy, and they've been crunching a lot, and EA is supposed to compete with that without crunching too? That's a huge ask.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They set their own hours, they choose the game(s) they want to stream, they choose the platform to build their audience on. If a game is pushing out content too rapidly for them, they can pivot to another title. Customers being fickle due to competition is not the same as the crunch imposed on developers to push patches out for GaaS titles.

You sound like you know nothing about the streaming business if you think this is true.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
As I said people are being trained to expect constant influx of content. Fortnite is prime example of really aggressive update schedule. And because it is popular people now expect other companies to do the same.
Epic have set the gold standard for other AAA developers on console/pc and I don't think they can keep up. It's why I think fortnite will remain super popular for years. Is it known how many employees epic have working on fortnite?

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
It's comical seeing gamers refuse to take any responsibility for this market they have helped to create. When gamers complained about ME3's ending, they got a new ending. When gamers complained about SWBF1 having no campaign, they got a campaign in the sequel. When gamers complained about MTX in the sequel, they got them removed. But gamers have nothing to do with anything the publishers do! Never mind the obvious fact that publishers get successful by giving the market what it wants. When a GaaS game does well, it's because that's what gamers want: more, more more. When a SP focused $60 game bombs because gamers refuse to spend $60 on something that's "only 10 hours long, wait for $20 or less", that's on gamers too. How many times do we see forum topics here or elsewhere bemoaning the lack of games like X and Y, then when one comes it doesn't sell? People cried about getting a Mirror's Edge sequel for years, and EA can barely give it away at $10. Look at Fortnite vs Apex, the former dominates on Twitch thanks to constant updates, the latter gets complaints from gamers about taking too long to release new content. Gamers caused this.

This is some individualistic thinking right here. There are a lot of people trying to pin the blame for this on either consumers or developers, but the primary driver behind these trends is, and always has been, profit. This is the fundamental driving force of capitalism, and it's killing workers. The pressure on workers to produce more content is mirrored by the pressure on consumers to buy more things and compete with other consumers. Kids end out internalizing this system and start bullying one another to assert their class status. This persists into adulthood, which is how you get fully grown "hardcore gamers" ragging on "casuals" for ruining the game industry because they don't have the same amount of time and money to spend on games. These categories are constructed because they're profitable.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing Fortnite eclipse everyone else in terms of update schedule is rather frustrating, because very few developers can keep up with that, if any. If Respawn doesn't have a chance to be able to keep pace, what hope to other studios have? Hell, what chance do, say, indie devs have?

Solution: Give the community the tools to create the content themselves.

Skyrim, Halo Forge, Source SDK are all good examples of this.
Monetizing "creation content" wouldn't be a bad idea, especially for in-game content creation tools like map editors - it's kinda what Nadeo was doing with Trackmania 2. Release the game with mapmaking tools and a base environment/content set to play with, and then release new sets of content as DLC. It would be a really cool way of monetizing new map content without splitting the community like map packs of old did. Sure, it would be harder to do on PC, but it would make a lot more sense on consoles. And if a map is really that good, there's a chance that it might end up in the official matchmaking rotation - Valve has been known to do this for community-made maps for TF2 and CSGO.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we blame Fortnite on putting the expectations of updating the game every two weeks with stupid shit as setting the bar for most kids nowadays?

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we blame Fortnite on putting the expectations of updating the game every two weeks with stupid shit as setting the bar for most kids nowadays?
I'd also like to blame Fortnite for inventing the Battle Pass. Granted, battle passes are way better than loot boxes, but they're still frustrating in how they demand a lot of time instead of luck.

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
Finish games before releasing them. The console industry managed this for 20 years. Day one patches incentives getting the game out the door asap with the intention of fixing in later and this is bad for consumers and bad for development crunch. GAAS could be the death of a lot of great software creators I just question if it's even sustainable.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If it was up to me, games wouldn't be released until they're finished and wouldn't receive updates outside of critical patches.

I don't like the GAAS model. It's not what I want.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
It's so funny because I'm still kicking it old school. I love buying games, beating the crap out of them, and moving on to the next. I very rarely go back to new content, dlc or expansions with anything. I do not expect devs to keep adding things to the games I buy because I'm the type to purchase multiple games a year. Even the games I play 1000 hours of (monster Hunter, path of Exile) I'm just grinding out the content that's already there not asking for anything new to be added. To each their own. I feel bad for the game devs who feel the need to become a games as service model developer to survive.

I just wanted to add i realize path of Exile is a weird example since the game is straight up games as a service. But I only used it as an example because there's so much damn content already they could've stopped years ago and I'd still be playing. From what I understand however they are one development studio that really figured it out and learned to run things properly using a one game service model for many many years.
Same here, if it's not part of the core experience then I'm uninterested I don't care how great some DLC is I just can't be bothered with it especially once I've finished a games story. I'd rather play a bunch of different games across genres than GaaS titles

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard for me to see this as a problem. Consumers have been demanding this of online games for generations and developers are responding to that market pressure as they should. The only concern I can see is consolidation but that's a thing that has already been happening independent of GaaS titles.

Find another way to lower dev costs and kill two birds with one stone.

This demand has existed generations before Fortnite. This generation started out with folks pointing out the lack of content in Destiny BEFORE the game even released. And they were right, Destiny and many other games still have a content issue. Fornite, and GTA before it, just happens to actually keep its audience engaged.

cowbanana

Feb 2, 2018
a Socialist Utopia
I'm also very oldskool. I buy many games and play through each one once before moving on to the next. I couldn't care less about GAAS games and luckily there's still an abundance of more traditional games to play. The industry is doing it to themselves by pursuing that type of player.

I love Monster Hunter World and that's the only service type game (online with content drops) I play. It has been great so far.

Deleted member 65994

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 14, 2020
Looking at the latest anthem, fallout 76, battlefield and battlefront, don't those roadmaps pretty much screwed because they first need 2 months to fix everything from launch?

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the latest anthem, fallout 76, battlefield and battlefront, don't those roadmaps pretty much screwed because they first need 2 months to fix everything from launch?

It takes faaaaar longer than 2 months to complete the unfinished games pushed early.

• Battlefront II got there, eventually.
• BFV will never get there, DICE abandoned it
• Anthem is still prototyping the rework, unclear if it will ever launch
• Fallout 76's latest Expansion is alright, the game is worthy of re-review

On top of all these things, publishers THEMSELVES are pushing their promises of 10-year plans... They want the lifestyle engagement. Publishers don't want to give an inch when it comes to *potential* revenue from the modding or user-driven modes of play.

1. Launch complete games, not early-access version
2. Don't promise the support you aren't willing to give
3. Don't build the mechanics which force players to play 100h+ every month to unlock fleeting items.
4. Release the modding tools if you aren't willing to deliver content

CoH2 community partnered with game's developer and started prototyping their own maps, balance changes and whatever content modding tools allowed to produce. The result is a wonderful, 7+ year long game still receiving new maps and balance changes with the minimal developer's effort.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Tbh my solution to this has simply been to ignore GAAS games, or only buy them if I'm satisfied with the content in them at that time.

I'm not going to grind a battle pass for 200 hours, and I don't care about skins or some random 20 minute side quest being added to Assassin's Creed Odyssey a year after release.

The one GAAS game I play regularly is Apex Legends, but I'd be playing that even if it wasn't getting updates at all. I'm there for the core gameplay which is excellent. Other than that I just focus my attention on other games (lately, FFVII Remake, DQ11, Persona 5 Royal, etc) that feel complete from the get-go.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
Pubs/Devs did this to themselves by starting the trend in the first place. And they are making a ton of $$$ in the process. Hire more devs if you can't keep up.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I feel like mod support would help with this. If the community could make maps for Battlefield 5 for example, you'd have more people playing and less complaining about a lack of content i think.

Obviously, this is harder for games like Anthem and Fortnite.

Valve did this with TF2, and I feel it worked pretty well for them at the time. Community made maps and items/skins if I remember it right, and valve would publish them as big updates. Along with some minor official stuff.