Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
DonMigs85

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are overestimating the CPU piece of this as well.
Time will tell. We don't have details yet but my gut tells me the next gen consoles will have a fixed maximum clock of at least 3 or 3.2GHz. They may also go for a lower 45W TDP for the CPU portion. And I don't think the PS5/Nextbox will be quite as conservative as the PS4 and Xbone were for 2013, they're gonna cut loose a bit more.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
As we know, the next-gen consoles will have 8-core/16 thread Ryzen 3xxx-derived CPUs, I'm guessing with a fixed maximum clock of at least 3.2 or 3.6GHz. A huge improvement over the Jaguar cores in the current gen consoles which aren't even on par with midrange smartphone CPUs for a few years now. And on the PC side a lot of people are using processors with 6 or less cores and may not wish to upgrade for the next 3-5 years or longer (for example Core i5-8400, Ryzen 1600 and 2600, etc). Now of course devs can't suddenly demand 8-core CPUs as the minimum even by 2021 or 2022 for multiplat games, so that means at least initially the powerful new processors may not be fully tapped. Unless perhaps they put in high FPS 120Hz modes in next-gen games, then you can get away with weaker PC processors for 60-90fps gameplay with a capable GPU

You have no clue what your talking about.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Time will tell. We don't have details yet but my gut tells me the next gen consoles will have a fixed maximum clock of at least 3 or 3.2GHz. They may also go for a lower 45W TDP for the CPU portion. And I don't think the PS5/Nextbox will be quite as conservative as the PS4 and Xbone were for 2013, they're gonna cut loose a bit more.

Oh, well then that settles it!

I think you have an exaggerated sense of how frequently people upgrade their CPUs.

Maybe you are underestimating them? Even if you aren't trying to build some high end enthusiast machine, those that are professed "PC gamers" and not simply those who occasionally game on their random desktop/work PC tend up upgrade every 3 - 5 years.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Time won't tell. It is clear that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Yeah they will jack up the clocks, lower the TDP, then "cut loose" .. probably also throw in a magical GPU and physics defying cooling system too.

OP
OP
DonMigs85

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Time won't tell. It is clear that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Yeah they will jack up the clocks, lower the TDP, then "cut loose" .. probably also throw in a magical GPU and physics defying cooling system too.
Quoting this post to see who ends up eating crow next year. I'll buy you a Steam game if I end up wrong
My prediction: at least a 3 or 3.2GHz-clocked Zen 2 chip, GPU that can exceed the Radeon 5700 XT, maybe at least 16-24GB of RAM in total (max 32GB).

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP'a goalposts have moved like nine times already. We've gone from 'PCs are going to hold back consoles' to 'select 2019 CPUs won't match the price efficiency of a 2500k, one of the best values of all time'.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
Shouts out to everyone who posted in this legendary thread.

You could cast this thread in the Benjamin Button movie with how badly it will age.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Quoting this post to see who ends up eating crow next year. I'll buy you a Steam game if I end up wrong
My prediction: at least a 3 or 3.2GHz-clocked Zen 2 chip, GPU that can exceed the Radeon 5700 XT, maybe at least 16-24GB of RAM in total (max 32GB).

What are the specs for your current PC?

Edit: I thought you were predicting 150W TDP for the console? But it's going to have a GPU stronger than a 225W 5700 XT?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DonMigs85

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP'a goalposts have moved like nine times already. We've gone from 'PCs are going to hold back consoles' to 'select 2019 CPUs won't match the price efficiency of a 2500k, one of the best values of all time'.
I stand by my point that any 8-core CPU you can buy today will likely not be able to match up to the next gen consoles once we're out of the crossgen phase.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Even if next gen console CPUs were to leave PCs in the dust (and people have repeatedly tried to explain to you why they won't), no developer is going to hamstring their console game on behalf of PCs.

They would optimize their game for the console(s) they're releasing it on, and PC gamers would have to upgrade to play the PC port, if it came to that.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. These are the kinds of threads we're gonna get now that next gen is approaching.

OP
OP
DonMigs85

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
18b.gif

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I stand by my point that any 8-core CPU you can buy today will likely not be able to match up to the next gen consoles once we're out of the crossgen phase.

So is your entire argument based around simply the chip as a standalone with integrated graphics or something? It seems like you are not really factoring in dedicated GPUs at all.

OP
OP
DonMigs85

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So is your entire argument based around simply the chip as a standalone with integrated graphics or something? It seems like you are not really factoring in dedicated GPUs at all.
No, I know the GPU will likely be around the level of the 5700 XT or a bit more powerful plus some ray tracing hardware

OP
OP
DonMigs85

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna stop responding for now - will check back in mid to late 2020 when we have more details on the console specs

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm sure they will have good cpus in them for a couple of years but there is absolutely no way in hell PCs will be holding back consoles.

cmon bruh.

OP
OP
DonMigs85

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure they will have good cpus in them for a couple of years but there is absolutely no way in hell PCs will be holding back consoles.

cmon bruh.
I guess I need to amend the OP: People sticking with older CPUs/fewer than 8 cores will be holding back the consoles until they upgrade, depending on clocks we get

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
sure at those clocks maybe they'll keep pace or outperform the consoles, unless maybe you turn up certain settings beyond console-level in games. Always gotta account for overhead

Holy crap you move the goal posts multiple times per page.

If you comfortably turn up settings beyond what consoles are capable of then the console has been outperformed.

Just a few posts ago you claimed consoles were about to get a better 8 core CPU than you can buy for a PC today. But you walked that back to "older CPUs" in like 2 posts.

And best of luck to AMD as they try to chop the GPU TDP by 60% or so while increasing performance and adding ray tracing. That's gonna be rough.

Last edited:

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
How come in like the SNES/Genesis days then, certain games like Star Fox seemed impressive compared to (at least what I know of) were on PCs at the time? Same goes for something like the DreamCast in 1998 or Super Mario 64 at launch. Were those just all outclassed by PCs, unbeknownst to modern consumers?
In the cartridge days you could add extra chips to cartridges which expanded capabilities, basically giving the hardware a boost on a per game basis, but even still the likes of Star Fox was pretty simplistic to what Doom was achieving visually. Quake and Mario 64 released pretty much simultaneously. Another thing to keep in mind is that resolution and framerate expectations on PC were far greater than on console. I was playing the likes of Quake 1-3 with framerates greater than 30 at 1024x768. Mario 64 runs at 320x240 at 20-30FPS. Quake 3 on Dreamcast had its visuals chopped, resolution at 640x480, and framerate at 30.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I guess if we're talking strictly multiplatform AAA games, then yes. There are tons of developers who couldn't care less about consoles.

Well yes, that is what I was talking about. There used to be a lot more big budget, PC only titles that were able to leverage the more powerful hardware, and that's all but become extinct. I know there are plenty of developers still doing their own thing exclusively on PC, but how many are developing games that really take advantage of the hardware anymore aside from maybe some strategy games? Star Citizen is the only game I can think of, but by the time it finally releases, it will run on a future toaster anyway.

Not sure how that's even relevant to what you initially said though. Developers that have been doing multiplats will continue to do so, and still put the console first. Those that don't care about console development likely still won't, unless there's an incentive such as simply wanting to try making a different kind of game that would also be console friendly. In any event, PCs are not going to be a factor in the way games are made for the next gen systems.

I guess I need to amend the OP: People sticking with older CPUs/fewer than 8 cores will be holding back the consoles until they upgrade, depending on clocks we get

No, they won't. Jesus Christ. It's already been mentioned, but we've already been in this situation once before where a game console was actually more powerful at the time of release than most gaming PCs and that affected nothing regarding console game development.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Now of course devs can't suddenly demand 8-core CPUs as the minimum even by 2021 or 2022 for multiplat games, so that means at least initially the powerful new processors may not be fully tapped
Show me a time in history that the devs have failed to simply increase the system requirements, then tell the PC gamer to "sink or swim."

In your rush to a conclusion you failed to learn the subject. The developers will shrug as PC players sink under the weight of requirements before they hold something back from the console market.

OP
OP
DonMigs85

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Show me a time in history that the devs have failed to simply increase the system requirements, then tell the PC gamer to "sink or swim."

In your rush to a conclusion you failed to learn the subject. The developers will shrug as PC players sink under the weight of requirements before they hold something back from the console market.
That's true, I forgot few devs really care about optimizing for PC nowadays except maybe the likes of CD Projekt, 4A Games and Rockstar

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Didn't expect to get dogpiled on. What I'm saying is quite a lot of gamers will still be using 6 or even 4 core older gen processors by 2020-2021. They aren't all upgrading to 8 or 12 core chips right away. Plus people are buying Ryzen 5 3600s now which in all likelihood are less capable overall than what will be in the next gen consoles
If 3rd party games are not using the full power of next gen hardware for the first couple years it will 100% be because they will also have to be made to play on consoles that came out on 2013, and not anything to do with PC hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.