• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
PXCSX2, the main PS2 emulator people use, is finally getting a long requested feature - texture dumping/replacement.
github.com

GS: Add texture dumping and replacement system by stenzek · Pull Request #5547 · PCSX2/pcsx2

Description of Changes Something that many have requested and others have done very poorly and hackily. This one is (in my opinion) clean and mergeable. Rough TODO: Basic texture dumping. Basic ...

Right now, it's only in a pull request build here:
github.com

GitHub - stenzek/pcsx2 at gs-texture-replacements

PCSX2 - The Playstation 2 Emulator. Contribute to stenzek/pcsx2 development by creating an account on GitHub.

Notes about texture dumping/replacing:
  • Textures dumped go to pcsx2\textures\<SERIAL>\dumps
  • Replacements get loaded from pcsx2\textures\<SERIAL>\replacements.
  • Enable in Graphics Settings -> Advanced (Qt), Graphics Settings -> Debug (Wx).
  • Beware of SSD wear, dumping can create lots of files.
  • Larger textures scale properly.
The PS2 has an alpha range of 0-2 instead of 0-1 like PC's so we have to half the alpha (50%) for "normal" alpha, it makes no difference, and if you're just going to run it through an upscaler it probably won't care, and if you're going to redraw it, then you can adjust the alpha after to match. if you need to make a small modification, use your tool (please don't do it in paint..) to modify the alpha up to 255, then when you're done, change it back to 128.
Here's a before and after comparison (look at the minimap):
154814399-8943ad96-350d-4d72-aa84-73640d3ef007.png
154814398-0acea785-497d-4e47-ad69-c2b6e7afd7bc.png

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! That option made the dolphin emu amazing for some games like paper mario, can't wait to see ppl doing hd packs for ps2 classics.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Stenzek has been a boon for pcsx2 progress these past few months. Vulkan, QT UI, and now this. So good.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
That minimap looks like one of the awful filter SNES emulators, but the idea is very welcomed and can lead to great stuff, exciting news!

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
smh.... and the PS5 can't play PS2 games.

At this point, sony might as well just allow this emulator sold on the PS store for $50.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I can't try this at the moment. But is the emulator exporting/converting into a general image format textures for easy work up with AI?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Time for Silent Hill 2 with HD textures. I remember doing some AI upscaling tests with the PC version and it was promising, but the tool I used didn't really work right.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
So it's now possible to upscale textures and UI elements with AI?
you can upscale textures with AI and have the game load them instead.

it might not be as good as completely new textures but it'll look cleaner. i just done these on my PC:

W5aDIbP.jpg

LMukIxH.jpg

quNqt7g.jpg

it's a bit of a mess around some bits but it's a lot cleaner. look at the car body/lights. look at the buildings/trees and look and tommy's clothes. to give you an idea of resolution. the gran turismo image on the left is a 1280x720 image and the output (right) would be 7680x4320. the GTA one is 640x448 (left) and would output to 3840x2688.

all you do is run a bunch of textures through an AI program and touch some of them up. example the car would need it's badges fixed.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
I have limitless respect for the emulation community, stuff like this is what keeps games from falling into obscurity.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Lovely feature! Pcsx2 is my preferred way to play ps2 games since a couple years back now and this is a nice boon for revisiting some of the classics.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
*Looks at the giant folder of Gamecube texture upscales I did*

giphy.gif

I can't try this at the moment. But is the emulator exporting/converting into a general image format textures for easy work up with AI?
Dolphin dumps them to PNGs and can load custom textures as either PNG or DDS. Hopefully this works the same way.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. How come it took so long? Is it really that hard to program?

OP
OP
TC McQueen

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. How come it took so long? Is it really that hard to program?
PXSX2 had a lot of clunky coding that needed to get fixed at a higher priority level than texture dumping/replacing.

Plus AFAIK, this is one of the harder things to program, because streaming the replacement textures can affect performance.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest VIII here we come!

YES! Time for the best in the series to get some love. It is definitely needed. I just restarted another playthrough and would do so again in a split second if someone get some mods out for this. The game is just too beautiful in so many ways to be left behind

Dec 23, 2017
d91.gif

Hopefully someone remember sky gunner
www.resetera.com

"Remastering" some PS2 games using PCSX2, Reshade, and custom LUT's.

Thanks to a user here on ERA from my Xenosaga Trilogy thread awhile back for letting me know that Reshade works with PCSX2. You know who you are! :) Xenosaga Trilogy thread It has been a massive game changer for me! This lead to a conversation with a friend of mine who is rather an artsy...

With the techniques I know now, I can't wait to figure out how this works.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
d91.gif

www.resetera.com

"Remastering" some PS2 games using PCSX2, Reshade, and custom LUT's.

Thanks to a user here on ERA from my Xenosaga Trilogy thread awhile back for letting me know that Reshade works with PCSX2. You know who you are! :) Xenosaga Trilogy thread It has been a massive game changer for me! This lead to a conversation with a friend of mine who is rather an artsy...

With the techniques I know now, I can't wait to figure out how this works.
Wow, looks like it just need some LUT!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I hope someone does the Xenosaga games. The in game textures upscale pretty well on their own, but the UI looks terrible.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
smh.... and the PS5 can't play PS2 games.

At this point, sony might as well just allow this emulator sold on the PS store for $50.
Technically the PS4 and PS5 can run PS1, PS2 and PSP emulation with games like MediEvil (that was included in ME remake), Dark Cloud, Parappa the Rapper Remastered doing just that behind the hood.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody will do this sort of thing anymore because it is far too time consuming and produces mediocre results. The more likely scenario is slight touch ups with AI upscale algorithm which will look more similar to the left.
it depends on the series, with PPSSPP someone is redoing all the textures in the 2 Wipeout games by themself, same with Lumines but i if you're gonna be wanting HD textures for something like Destruction Girl on PS2 then you'll probably be stuck unless you do it

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
The Getaway will finally look like the PR bullshots!!!