Mikachu

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to play the blade runner experience in rift and it blew my mind.

It isn't a good GAME by any sense of the word but it is the most I've just took something as reality so far.

The characters are so real looking I was completely tricked a few times and the environments are gorgeous, I want to live inside it.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to play the blade runner experience in rift and it blew my mind.

It isn't a good GAME by any sense of the word but it is the most I've just took something as reality so far.

The characters are so real looking I was completely tricked a few times and the environments are gorgeous, I want to live inside it.
I really want a full fledged game set in that futuristic night city/slums environment similar to blade runner (is cyberpunk the right word for it, i always get my terms mixed up?)

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
So besides RoboRecall what are good Oculus exclusives? Really been ignoring that storefront due to my big backlog, but I should keep on eye on it.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So besides RoboRecall what are good Oculus exclusives? Really been ignoring that storefront due to my big backlog, but I should keep on eye on it.
  • Lone Echo (Story driven adventure with light puzzle solving, one of the best vr games out right now) - this one took me 9 hours to complete. Also has a multiplayer standalone called Echo Arena.
  • From Other Suns (FTL x borderlands x mass effect.) First person shooter with crew and ship management and ship battles). Also supports 3 player co-op.
  • Chronos (3rd person action rpg/souls like) - This one took me around 15 hours to complete playing on hard mode (recommended if you have played souls games as the hard difficulty is still easier than souls)
  • Mages Tale (Action RPG dungeon crawler) - This one took me 10 hours to complete, lots of puzzle solving, mage based battle system, spell crafting & lots of secret areas to find in dungeons)
  • Arktika.1 (first person shooter) - 4-6 hour single player campaign (limited to node teleport movement but the game is still super fun)
  • Wilson's Heart (B-Movie mild horror / Action & puzzle Adventure) - Think of it as a vr version of a point and click adventure. Took around 5-6 hours to complete. Limited to node teleport movement.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So fixed my problem I think. Had it plugged into a 2.0 usb when I switched it to 3.0 it's been working flawlessly

I can't get nobody explodes and I expect you to die to work tho. They're failing to launch

Superhot VR works a wonder tho (bought on the rift store). Game is intensely fun. The throwing items between sections is a fantastic thing

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Just put two hours into Serious Sam 3 VR BFE.

It is absolutely fantastic. Croteam did an amazing job porting this to VR. It's like they actually care. It is such a breath of fresh air after the dual whammy of Fallout 4 and LA Noire. Both of which were barely optimized whatsoever and just thrown onto Steam in a beta state.

Incredibly smooth and stutter free. Great gunplay, fun arenas, several locomotion and comfort options. It's the real deal.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone playing Sparc? I got on earlier and, unless I misunderstand how the lobby works, only 3 people were online.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

I made a comment about it earlier in the thread. I had 2x ~half-second moments where my brain was convinced that I was standing right next to real people. Reminds me of a bit of the first FMV games too.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Raw Data has added a new PvP map. I believe this is exclusive to PC version as PsVR Raw Data has no online feature like PvP

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks to hear that. Why is that so? Is there a single player campaign?

Yeah there is single player. It's just extremely boring and badly designed. You just stand in one spot and shoot spells out of your wand at targets. It's a very early GearVR game. I played it for a bit on my Gear and was very disappointed.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone tried that Ramen Shop Simulator? Ive been wanting a Cook Serve Delicious type of game in VR and this looks like it might be the one. That or the Diner Duo (but that seems like it needs 2 people).

Get Diner Duo, it's great to have around as a co-op experience. Just be prepared for some arguments when you get to the higher levels.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
When does the Croteam VR bundle sale end? I'm on mobile and it doesn't seem to indicate an end date for the sale?

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
About 34 hours 20 mins from this post

Ha, realised it was on the individual game pages after posting that. I really shouldn't buy it and I have dozens of VR games to get through but it feels like a lot of quality content for the price. Decisions....

I had no idea before buying the Rift just how vast the PCVR library really is. It has to be the widest library a platform has gained within its first 12-18 months on the market.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Steam is holding their winter sales in less than 2 days

Try to resist buying any older vr games till then

Last edited:

Roz

Nov 10, 2017
Just a little warning for anyone getting a Rift for Christmas. Make sure you have enough USB slots on your PC (2xUSB 3.0 and 1xUSB 2.0) and also make sure you have a free HDMI slot on your GPU. Most only have 1 so you may need to get a different cable or an adapter to plug in your monitor/TV if you are currently using HDMI.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Ha, realised it was on the individual game pages after posting that. I really shouldn't buy it and I have dozens of VR games to get through but it feels like a lot of quality content for the price. Decisions....

I had no idea before buying the Rift just how vast the PCVR library really is. It has to be the widest library a platform has gained within its first 12-18 months on the market.

Yeah, I agree. Before buying the Rift I kept hearing there are barely any worthwhile games for VR, mostly just boring shooting galleries. Been a long time since I've bought so many new games for a new platform so quickly. I guess it helps that there's a sale going on, but still.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hours played finally coming to Oculus Library :O
Lucy Chen - Oculus said:
Great suggestion. We are working on adding hours played detail to your Library on the Oculus desktop application.
source: https://riftcorebeta.uservoice.com/forums/907760-desktop-app/suggestions/32537476-hours-played

oh god watching people play VR Chat and its the best and worst thing of all time haha.
I spent a good hour or two last night just laughing watching youtube vids of VR Chat. I agree its both awesome and bad lol. XD

The popularity of vrchat looks to be soaring. Any idea why? Or are people migrating from REC Room to VRChat?

From the vids I watched VRchat is mainly a social game that can use any environment (ripped from other games,I saw kingdom hearts areas, persona 5 areas etc) as well as allowing players to use custom characters with full body IK and emotes like backflips so its way more expressive and immersive than rec room (but also way less polished too). Best way to describe it is a convention with cosplayers, allowing everyone to be as stupid or serious as they want to be with no moderation. It leads to alot of funny situations like a mob of Ronald Mcdonald cornering a mario plant for saying burger king is better or someone laughing nervously in the corner as peter griffin or a player becoming the Collosal Titan from Attack on Titan (full scale) as a mob of players swarm him with lightsabers roleplaying a fight.

It feels like a Gmod for VR right now. just silly, goofy fun. So its gonna be really popular on twitch (last time I checked it was in the top 10 of most currently streamed games, just behind Dota 2)

it does seem to have some mini games in it too, I saw a vid with players in a wild west styled death match.

heres one compilation i watched last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNKP4e2dKxE

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

source: https://riftcorebeta.uservoice.com/forums/907760-desktop-app/suggestions/32537476-hours-played

I spent a good hour or two last night just laughing watching youtube vids of VR Chat. I agree its both awesome and bad lol. XD

From the vids I watched VRchat is mainly a social game that can use any environment (ripped from other games,I saw kingdom hearts areas, persona 5 areas etc) as well as allowing players to use custom characters with full body IK and emotes like backflips so its way more expressive and immersive than rec room (but also way less polished too). Best way to describe it is a convention with cosplayers, allowing everyone to be as stupid or serious as they want to be with no moderation. It leads to alot of funny situations like a mob of Ronald Mcdonald cornering a mario plant for saying burger king is better or someone laughing nervously in the corner as peter griffin or a player becoming the Collosal Titan from Attack on Titan (full scale) as a mob of players swarm him with lightsabers roleplaying a fight.

It feels like a Gmod for VR right now. just silly, goofy fun. So its gonna be really popular on twitch (last time I checked it was in the top 10 of most currently streamed games, just behind Dota 2)

it does seem to have some mini games in it too, I saw a vid with players in a wild west styled death match.

Holy crap. The Alien part in the "Scary" area. I just lost it.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Just a little warning for anyone getting a Rift for Christmas. Make sure you have enough USB slots on your PC (2xUSB 3.0 and 1xUSB 2.0) and also make sure you have a free HDMI slot on your GPU. Most only have 1 so you may need to get a different cable or an adapter to plug in your monitor/TV if you are currently using HDMI.

Yeah, just realized my GPU only has one HDMI.

What kind of adapter do you guys use?

Out of curiosity, can I just unplug my monitor and plug the Rift in when I want to use it? At least until I can get something?

Roz

Nov 10, 2017
I used a DVI cable at first to plug in my monitor straight into my GPU but I didn't have enough room to swing my arms so I moved my PC into the lounge. There I used a displayport to HDMI adapter to plug in my TV because I also wanted audio through the HDMI cable. I got something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015FM3SRE/?tag=e100-21

I don't think you can set up a rift without a monitor plugged in.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I used a DVI cable at first to plug in my monitor straight into my GPU but I didn't have enough room to swing my arms so I moved my PC into the lounge. There I used a displayport to HDMI adapter to plug in my TV because I also wanted audio through the HDMI cable. I got something like this:

I scrambled some research in since it's slow at work right now. Since I'm using a 4k monitor, it looks like Display Port is my best option since it's supported by my monitor, and has numerous inputs on my GPU.

Ordered a cable from Amazon.

The Rift will get my sole HDMI Port.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Just for clarity's sake, you don't actually need to be buy one of those dongles to get audio. You can also buy a cable that has display port on the output end and HDMI on the input end. That's what I use with my TV (so I can give my Vive the HDMI port on the GPU).

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

lol the VRchat does sounds fun , I should check it out some time

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Something feels "off" about the teleportation in Arktika.1. It's too sudden, there should be a (very quick) fade of some kind. Robo Recall is equally fast-paced and has you teleporting constantly, but it still has a very quick animation when you teleport. In Arktika, I actually find it more difficult to get my bearings in Arktika.

Roz

Nov 10, 2017
Magic Leap MR googles.
https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel...ing-magic-leaps-mixed-reality-goggles-w514479

Not sure if this counts as PCVR as it is neither PC or VR and it probably deserves its own thread if one hasn't been made already but I cant be arsed to search.

ml13-7bc67899-de14-4e10-b0bf-f58d00c15975.jpg

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
The "low key" buzz around what Magic Leap was up to was immense, it was the secrecy behind it and the money they managed to get from investors.

Maybe I'm not technically minded enough to appreciate it but I cant help but to feel disappointed, I don't know what I expected really... just feels like typical AR googles with a twist in the spec sheet. Someone correct me if I'm downplaying their achievement!

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
The most telling aspect of the reveal is that they claim that little disk shaped computer unit is equivalent in power to an Alienware gaming PC - gonna be a lot of bullshit slinging and recertifies the money laundering angle.

Hilarious. They also call it a "real-time computer."

Biggest show stopper is there will never be support for perscription glasses. They say they've eventually gonna let you order a Leap with prescription lenses. But that'll be permanently prohibitively expensive for mass adoption. Also means you can't share or demo your unit unless you all have good vision.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Magic Leap MR googles.
https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel...ing-magic-leaps-mixed-reality-goggles-w514479

Not sure if this counts as PCVR as it is neither PC or VR and it probably deserves its own thread if one hasn't been made already but I cant be arsed to search.

ml13-7bc67899-de14-4e10-b0bf-f58d00c15975.jpg

Interesting. Wonder if they're using similar tech to Hololens? Looks to have a very limited field of view which for AR seems like a big issue because you'd have artificial objects suddenly appearing in front of you.

Very curious to see how it plays out, although for games I don't really see the point - why do I want to play a game that takes place in my living room? For augmenting data onto the real world I can imagine it could be amazing - eg your own personal cortana, or overlaying directions on the pavement as you're walking along etc

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The "low key" buzz around what Magic Leap was up to was immense, it was the secrecy behind it and the money they managed to get from investors.

Maybe I'm not technically minded enough to appreciate it but I cant help but to feel disappointed, I don't know what I expected really... just feels like typical AR googles with a twist in the spec sheet. Someone correct me if I'm downplaying their achievement!
To be honest, it's pretty impressive if for no other reason than the smallness of the form factor and it's also using lightfield tech instead of screens. It also has eye tracking, seems to have a slightly better FoV than Hololens, there's no mention of transparency issues with the virtual images, gesture recognition, and has a 6dof controller. Still limited and you won't be wearing these all day on the town, but it's still impressive tech.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Wonder if they're using similar tech to Hololens? Looks to have a very limited field of view which for AR seems like a big issue because you'd have artificial objects suddenly appearing in front of you.

I mean, Hololens also has a super limited FOV. "Like a credit card held several inches from your face." Makes it basically useless for gaming IMO.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say it looks significantly less ugly than the Hololens. That thing is ugly as sin to me.

Hololens is bulkier but I think the magic leap looks like something you'd see at KB Toys for $74.99

3041243-inline-i-1-hololens-microsofts-sci-fi-copy.jpg

I think that looks much better, and they probably could have made it a lot smaller if they had chosen put the internals in a separate box like ML did

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Tried out Shooty Fruity the other day, had a lot of fun and it's another game to add to the "good VR games" list. Very odd concept for a game, having to balance between murdering fruit and working minimum wage retail hell but somehow it works. The first few levels were easy going, but once it got to the cafeteria section things got a lot more stressful. Seems to be a good amount of unlocks, and special challenges for each stage.

Also this is the first game I've come across that lets you pull a grenade pin with your mouth, all VR games with grenades need this.

This was also the first time I got some extended time with the Deluxe Audio strap. Other than just being a lot more comfortable, it also is way better for staying on your head. Games like SuperHot VR where I'd be crawling on the ground would have me re-adjusting my headset every so often. Now it stays put, and ducking under a hail of bullets was a lot less cumbersome.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Hololens is bulkier but I think the magic leap looks like something you'd see at KB Toys for $74.99

3041243-inline-i-1-hololens-microsofts-sci-fi-copy.jpg

I think that looks much better, and they probably could have made it a lot smaller if they had chosen put the internals in a separate box like ML did

That's the problem with design, though. It's all subjective. I would say the same thing about the Hololens belonging in a KB Toys.

Not that either one is going to make you look cool.

Enordash

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Tried out Shooty Fruity the other day, had a lot of fun and it's another game to add to the "good VR games" list. Very odd concept for a game, having to balance between murdering fruit and working minimum wage retail hell but somehow it works. The first few levels were easy going, but once it got to the cafeteria section things got a lot more stressful. Seems to be a good amount of unlocks, and special challenges for each stage.

Also this is the first game I've come across that lets you pull a grenade pin with your mouth, all VR games with grenades need this.

This was also the first time I got some extended time with the Deluxe Audio strap. Other than just being a lot more comfortable, it also is way better for staying on your head. Games like SuperHot VR where I'd be crawling on the ground would have me re-adjusting my headset every so often. Now it stays put, and ducking under a hail of bullets was a lot less cumbersome.

Man, I'm really going to end up spending that extra hundred bucks aren't I. Glad to hear that Shooty Fruity is pretty cool. Waiting until after Christmas to jump into everything is proving to be difficult.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Getting excited - might get lucky and snag a sealed VIVE for $400 on eBay (+ $37 shipping). Ends tomorrow and the other person battling with me since opening bid seems to have backed off...for now. I'm sure he/she will try a last minute bid though.

Not sure how high I'll go. The MS Store deal of $499 is over and I can't find any other deals, so $599 would be the price anywhere else. I could pay it, sure, but I could also get a PSVR GTS bundle AND an Oculus for that price (I'm interested in the PSVR as well).

Meanwhile, I have the option of an open-box VIVE from a local MicroCenter at $445 (including taxes). So I guess the question is how much does brand new matter to me vs open box? It does still have manufacturer's warranty and 30 day return window but getting it new and sealed would provide peace of mind.

I think factoring in the $37 shipping I'll go a max of $460 for final price of $497. If that falls through, I may just grab a PSVR for now and hold out for VIVE.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Regarding Hololens et al.: the thing is, none of those AR devices are even remotely interesting for VR gaming -- which is where my own personal interest lies.

Or you could just get a Rift and a third sensor, the touch controllers are better.
That's debatable. It also very much depends on your setup and the space you want to track.