• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I bought both Soundboxing and Audioshield yesterday. Tried them out for a bit, instantly didn't like sound boxing and even though the tracks are hand made they seemed more off than Audioshield's which are computer generated. I was actually quite surprised about that since the chief complaint i've heard about Audioshield was the track generation wasn't that good. The actual act of hitting the notes felt a lot better in Audioshield as well.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Downloaded the Serious Sam VR games for the free trial. So happy I can try these out firsthand, because flat video footage just doesn't give an accurate depiction of the experience.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I bought both Soundboxing and Audioshield yesterday. Tried them out for a bit, instantly didn't like sound boxing and even though the tracks are hand made they seemed more off than Audioshield's which are computer generated. I was actually quite surprised about that since the chief complaint i've heard about Audioshield was the track generation wasn't that good. The actual act of hitting the notes felt a lot better in Audioshield as well.
yeah it can be a mixed bag, but there are plenty of good beatmap creators on there. That being said, the 80 or so hours i've put into soundboxing have mostly been on my own beatmaps xD i enjoyed making them with the purpose of having a good workout, and it was fun competing with people who got high scores on them. I think that might be why I prefered soundboxing over audioshield, as i found the beatmaps i made were more in line with what i wanted when it comes to sync-ing with the music.

When i did play it daily, I was creating around 2-3 beatmaps minimum a day.

growler

Oct 26, 2017
Have any brave souls out there tried using the Rift with an external GPU on a Mac? Also, has there been any word on an Apple VR product? I'm assuming its probably going to lean heavily on their ARkit framework.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DbPtIGAU8AAj_5H.jpg:large

Seems Oculus Go is coming real soon.

(I know its not PCVR, but there's no better place. Maybe I'll make a thread for standalone VR soon)

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I recommend Thumper. If you are into breaking a sweat I would recommend BOXVR as well. I also have Airtone, Audioshield and Racket. You can't go wrong with any of them. Airtone is harder for me (kind of like Guitar Hero) than Audioshield and I like how my own music matches Audioshield (play on harder difficulty is better) but Airtone is more polished. Racket is more like the old Breakout game and is better with other people. I am also really eager to get Beat Saber though. Sorry I didn't really make a decision for you because I like them all, lol.

That's the thing, they are all so very different and unique in their own way that you cant go wrong buying/playing them all, at sale prices it doesn't even hurt your wallet much.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently it's possible to combine lighthouse controller tracking with Windows MR HMDS

I've not yet bought the Vive Pro and this makes me thinking about if I even should...could save me 500 bucks by just doing this... a bit of a hassle to set up tho.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently it's possible to combine lighthouse controller tracking with Windows MR HMDS

I've not yet bought the Vive Pro and this makes me thinking about if I even should...could save me 500 bucks by just doing this... a bit of a hassle to set up tho.

This is kind of why Valve needs to be able to produce Lighthouse 2.0 and knuckles at a reasonable price. If you could just decouple the headset (which would even be fine with inside out cameras) from the rest, it would suddenly open up a lot more practical options. It would hurt HTC, obviously, but that's not a ship you want your fortunes tied to anyways.

EDIT: Although in a perfect world, I think the knuckles would be best served by having inside out cameras on them. This would make them completely universal and would be much cheaper if you had an HMD that didn't use lighthouse.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando

I used Nolo VR which comes with tracking plus vive like controllers. This should work with Windows MXR headsets, but I use them with PSVR. Took a little more setup than I thought it would, but it works pretty well. Nolo is around 200 bucks.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up buying a Lenovo Explorer during the $200 sale. The Windows Mixed Reality platform isn't as bad as I expected. The tracking isn't perfecting and some games like The Lab Archery, and Pavlov a feel a little iffy at times, but the experience is still great. I have ran into a lot of little quirks with it, like my desktop audio not working once I'm done with the headset so I have to reset the default device, and also having to redo the room set up every time I plug it in. Also, some games have really bad control issues like Pavlov which uses the trackpad instead of the thumbstick and it is wonky as heck.

The headset itself is okay. The "Sweet spot" is super limited and it forces constant readjustments because it doesn't press up against my face enough so I end up seeing the sweet spot clearly and then it shifts and everything goes blurry again. I also miss having included headphones because plugging in earbuds every time is just more hassle and another wire to do with. The headset being so light is really great, but the top padding is bad and the headset hurts after only 30 or so minutes. Finally, I just gotta say that I love how good it feels wearing glasses coming from the Rift which was a nightmare. The whole "visor" set up like the PSVR is fantastic and makes it super easy to put on and take off.

Dec 18, 2017
Since it's a free weekend I decided to play OrbusVR tonight. (On the Oculus Store, at least)

It's definitely basic and buggy. But VRMMORPG is otherwise everything I had hoped for. It's a next level of enjoying MMORPGs, being inside of one.
Aiming arrows is a lot of fun, too. I think I'm getting better at tanking, too. Got into a big party and fought a bunch of Wurms. Then was going to head to a dungeon with them, but then had a computer issue.
Got my sensor working again, but now the party has probably long since disbanded, and I'm too tired to keep going. Level 5 was good enough for my first night.

Some other first impressions:

- It's buggy, my game crashed or disconnected me several times. And I even think caused me a few Oculus Rift problems today
Several enemies were bugged, and I lost microphone response in the middle of playing and had to restart
- I don't like how how when you enter buildings or even just go up steps, you teleport right there, I'd rather just walk
- It feels like the game favors teleportation locomotion, when I like walking around, and always turn it off in VR games
Which you can do, but it's not as effective in many instances.
- Character creation is too simplistic. I miss the more advanced options in other MMORPGs I play. It's like making a Mii to play an MMO, except that this game gives you less options than Nintendo does.
- I don't like that I have disembodied hands, and I can't see my body like I can in VRChat. This is a criticism I have of most VR games.
- The level cap being 20 seems pretty small for the rate I'm going. I reached level 5 in just over 5 hours. That's about a level an hour. I hope that the current endgame content is decent.
- There are a lot of invisible walls, and I find that frustrating. Much worse than something like VRChat or SkyrimVR, where you can go just about anywhere.
- Seems to have a very generic world and lore

It is an early access game so I totally understand there is a lot of work to do, though. Hopefully they will address all of the issues I have with the game.
If not, hopefully there will be more VRMMORPGs to come in the future soon! I can only hope VR takes off in South Korea.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

I used Nolo VR which comes with tracking plus vive like controllers. This should work with Windows MXR headsets, but I use them with PSVR. Took a little more setup than I thought it would, but it works pretty well. Nolo is around 200 bucks.

At that price surely you'd be better off just buying one of the Windows MR headsets or saving up for the Rift? I don't see the benefit of a hacked together unsupported solution when you can get a fully SteamVR compatible headset and controllers for $200 these days.

Does the PSVR headset even support 90hz on PC?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
With the Steam sale, I'm interested in picking up a rhythm title. Can anyone recommend AudioShield vs. Airtone, or am I better off waiting for Beat Saber?
Airtone is quite different from all the other rythm games available (or that I'm aware of).

It's highly polished, has a story/campaign of sorts, and has a limited (but rather large) selection of maps.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
VR Era! Looking at a few VR games during this Spring Sale but could use some recommendations. I typically don't like to buy without a good sized discount (think 30%+) due to a giant library of shame but...

I only want to grab 1-2 shooting games:

-Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope (played the trial a bit, not sure if there's enough content there to warrant the price tbh)
-Arizona Sunshine
-Sairento
-Raw Data
-Gunheart
-Apex Construct (is this co-op only?)
-Superhot VR (played the normal version, thought it was decent enough)
-Primordian

Also interested in the following:

-Eagle Flight
-Star Trek Bridge Crew (seems like this really needs friends?)
-The Wizards
-Gorn
-Mage's Tale
-The Gallery Part II (the first was solid, but short imo)
-L.A. Noire

All in all, I'd like to pick up between 2-4 new games, but don't want experiences that are too "samey". Recs would be super appreciated, thanks!

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
VR Era! Looking at a few VR games during this Spring Sale but could use some recommendations. I typically don't like to buy without a good sized discount (think 30%+) due to a giant library of shame but...

-Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope (played the trial a bit, not sure if there's enough content there to warrant the price tbh)
-Arizona Sunshine
-Sairento
-Raw Data
-Gunheart
-Primordian

Also interested in the following:

-Eagle Flight
-Star Trek Bridge Crew (seems like this really needs friends?)
-The Wizards
-Gorn
-Mage's Tale
-The Gallery Part II (the first was solid, but short imo)
-L.A. Noire

All in all, I'd like to pick up between 2-4 new games, but don't want experiences that are too "samey". Recs would be super appreciated, thanks!

Shooters: I'd say
  • Superhot VR (WAY better than normal version for me)
  • Arizona Sunshine (great survival + action, great gun accuracy, survival mode when you finish the campaign).

SS Last Hope is seriously boring IMO, Sairento is just very ugly and feels janky to me, Raw Data would be a good 3rd choice, Gunheart is super choppy playing (not sure if this is true for everyone, but this is a trend with this developer, and everyone seems to complain about it), Apex Construct is alright, haven't played enough. Never played Primordian.

For other games, I'd strongly recommend Gorn. I think it's great fun. I think Mage's Tale and Star Trek Bridge Crew are good, but maybe not for everyone? The Wizards is straight up bad, I think. Autoaim based. Just feels bad. Never played Eagle Flight nor LA Noire in VR nor Gallery Part 2.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I remember seeing a YouTube video of an in development VR game that had a really good implementation of a belt and backpack inventory. It was a minecraft-like and could put rocks and stuff in pouches and put them on a shelf. If you wanted to give another player items you could hand them a pouch or split the amount by holding the bag and pulling with the other controller to halve the stack. Really beautiful implementation that but i completely forgot the game and if it is even available.

ALSO

PM me if you are interested in watching E3 live in BigScreen. I need to get a idea of how many people we talking about. I assume Lakuza and MusclesAreGirly are in and I think the max is 8 people. We're may also need to do a test run to see if it can handle it.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing a YouTube video of an in development VR game that had a really good implementation of a belt and backpack inventory. It was a minecraft-like and could put rocks and stuff in pouches and put them on a shelf. If you wanted to give another player items you could hand them a pouch or split the amount by holding the bag and pulling with the other controller to halve the stack. Really beautiful implementation that but i completely forgot the game and if it is even available.

ALSO

PM me if you are interested in watching E3 live in BigScreen. I need to get a idea of how many people we talking about. I assume Lakuza and MusclesAreGirly are in and I think the max is 8 people. We're may also need to do a test run to see if it can handle it.

not quite what you are talking about, but have you tried The Gallery? It has a great inventory system that sounds similar to what you describe.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

ALSO

A town's tale vr?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

-Arizona Sunshine
-Sairento
-Raw Data
-Gunheart
-Primordian

You can try Serious Sam The Last Hope for free right now on Steam. Personally I was bored after two waves. I feel getting a proper SS game would be better. Those are currently free to play as well.

Raw Data I found boring. More wave shooting. Zzzzzzzz

Arizona Sunshine I really like. It really gives me the feeling of being a character from Walking Dead as I'm rumaging through abandoned vehicles looking for items/ammo. Aiming your gun feels more realistic then anything I've experienced. I give it high marks.

I've heard good things about Sariento, but haven't played it personally. I've heard great things about Super Hot VR. The vanilla game is fantastic.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
Raw Data is great in coop. Also do not judge whole game based on the first levels - later levels are more complex, multi stage and not just "wave-shooty".

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
SS Last Hope is waves while you do not move around a level - like an old fashioned shooting gallery. Raw Data lets you move around the arena and has a lot of movement mechanics. Raw Data also has more tactics, while Last Hope is basically about managing your ammo, only.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
The mainline Serious Sam games are what you should be looking at not the wave shooter. They're really well adapted to VR with a huge selection of movement options.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody have any impressions of In Death? Looks pretty cool, although I'm worried about a lack of variety.

honestly i thought it was pretty lame, and i really wanted to like it. maybe if you're more fluid with its teleportation (you throw a crystal to move) you'll have a better time. or if archery based stuff is your jam

but i refunded it pretty quick

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Invisible Hours all the way to credits and it's one on my favorite VR experiences. It is not a game but the ability to move through the story being told in almost a voyeur fashion is really interesting,

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
honestly i thought it was pretty lame, and i really wanted to like it. maybe if you're more fluid with its teleportation (you throw a crystal to move) you'll have a better time. or if archery based stuff is your jam

but i refunded it pretty quick

There's no locomotion option? Dang, I wasn't to thrilled with how the teleporting looked. The arrow shooting looked pretty satisfying, with the squishy sounding headshots.

I'll keep an eye on it since it's early access.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have any impressions of In Death? Looks pretty cool, although I'm worried about a lack of variety.

At first I didn't enjoy it because of the lack of variety, but I've come around completely. I really love it. It's probably the best arcade-archery game.

You do have to accept that it is an arcade action game, comparable to Space Pirate Trainer (although you do move around). It does that one thing and it does it really well. The biggest boon for me was dodging arrows. That's what made me realize I wanted to play a lot more of it.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
At that price surely you'd be better off just buying one of the Windows MR headsets or saving up for the Rift? I don't see the benefit of a hacked together unsupported solution when you can get a fully SteamVR compatible headset and controllers for $200 these days.

Does the PSVR headset even support 90hz on PC?
Nolo has positional tracking, which those other sets don't have. I already had the psvr and I can now play psvr and steam vr games. Also, psvr supports up to 120hz on the pc (admittedly I couldn't get this to work exactly right on my setup)

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
At first I didn't enjoy it because of the lack of variety, but I've come around completely. I really love it. It's probably the best arcade-archery game.

You do have to accept that it is an arcade action game, comparable to Space Pirate Trainer (although you do move around). It does that one thing and it does it really well. The biggest boon for me was dodging arrows. That's what made me realize I wanted to play a lot more of it.

What he said. Once you've unlocked a few things like new arrows and enemies the game opens up nicely, and the developers just added a new area so it's not just cathedrals.

Also, I really like Sairento a lot. A little janky, sure, but it does a lot of things well and I consider it one of the best single-player action games I've played in VR yet. Most VR games I tend to decouple movement from shooting, but Sairento's systems let me do both and feel awesome about it. Basically, instead of teleport you jump to the indicated spot, but you can hold down the slow-mo button and fire while in motion. Wall-jump/slow-mo/fire, repeat.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Nolo has positional tracking, which those other sets don't have. I already had the psvr and I can now play psvr and steam vr games. Also, psvr supports up to 120hz on the pc (admittedly I couldn't get this to work exactly right on my setup)

Mixed reality headsets have full markerless 360 degree positional tracking.

It's just seems like you're paying the same price for an inferior hacked together and unsupported solution.

If you're enjoying it, then great. I just wouldn't want any prospective owners to see it as a true alternative to full PC VR headset when there's no cost saving.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just got words about price of HTC Vive Pro full package (gen 2 accessories)

video belo

Last edited:

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://shop.beyondgeek.sg/collections/htc-vive-pro/products/htc-vive-pro-edition-set-available-now

Priced at S$2099 (US$1587, but should be retailing cheaper in US, maybe US$1500 ~ US$1550, as they mark up the price for SG)

for reference, here are the price of Vive stuffs in singapore and US
Vive VR (US$499 is S$659.99, but sold as S$899.99 on Vive SG)
Vive Pro HMD (US$799 is S$1056.77, but sold as S$1299 on Vive SG)
Deluxe Audio Strap (US$99.99 is $132.25, but sold as S$149.99 on Vive SG)

unboxing video

Last edited:

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
https://shop.beyondgeek.sg/collections/htc-vive-pro/products/htc-vive-pro-edition-set-available-now

Priced at S$2099 (US$1587, but should be retailing cheaper in US, maybe US$1500 ~ US$1550, as they mark up the price for SG)

for reference, here are the price of Vive stuffs in singapore and US
Vive VR (US$499 is S$659.99, but sold as S$899.99 on Vive SG)
Vive Pro HMD (US$799 is S$1056.77, but sold as S$1299 on Vive SG)
Deluxe Audio Strap (US$99.99 is $132.25, but sold as S$149.99 on Vive SG)

unboxing video

so, uhm, about those cheaper to make SteamVR2.0 parts....

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Mixed reality headsets have full markerless 360 degree positional tracking.

It's just seems like you're paying the same price for an inferior hacked together and unsupported solution.

If you're enjoying it, then great. I just wouldn't want any prospective owners to see it as a true alternative to full PC VR headset when there's no cost saving.
My misunderstanding then, I was under the impression that mixed reality headsets had non positional tracking since part of nolo's advertising shows they can bring it to MR headsets.
In the end, I paid about around 120 to "upgrade" my psvr to work with pc so I'm still happy about it. I apologize if I misled anyone

Edit: maybe I'm getting my terms mixed up, but are you saying you can do room scale with mixed reality headsets? Cause that's what I am trying to say.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

I wanna quote this again, because there's a new reddit thread and someone mentioned that you don't even need tracker dongles (or Vive HMD), you can reflash the Steam controller dongle and use that for controller communications. Somebody claims they did that to get 8 controllers working with a single Vive when doing a game jam.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/8e5u03/vives_dying_is_samsung_odyssey_vive_controller/

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
My misunderstanding then, I was under the impression that mixed reality headsets had non positional tracking since part of nolo's advertising shows they can bring it to MR headsets.
In the end, I paid about around 120 to "upgrade" my psvr to work with pc so I'm still happy about it. I apologize if I misled anyone

Edit: maybe I'm getting my terms mixed up, but are you saying you can do room scale with mixed reality headsets? Cause that's what I am trying to say.

Yes, they offer full 360° room scale tracking. Your room size is only really restricted by the length of the USB cable and physical restrictions.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017

I was kind of put off by the game at first, seemed pretty slow and one-note. But as you play and re-play the game, more stuff unlocks (more special arrows, stronger enemies, conditions change in the game etc) and you get better at it. I got really into the game and grew to like the 'throw crystal to teleport' system (I always enjoy throwing the crystal behind my back if enemies got too close, for example). And there is a kind of level progression in the game, with an actual end (I've reached it but couldn't quite finish it).
With that said, I keep thinking how awesome this game would be if it was more like... well, Dark Souls in a sense. An actual, interconnected world to explore with fleshed-out lore, more locations, items and bosses. It's still in early access but I'm not expecting too much. But for what it is right now, it's still a really cool and at times tense experience.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, I enjoy Pavlov a lot more than Onward. Maybe it's just me but I didn't enjoy onward at all, seems too... I don't know, hardcore for me. Half the time I would wander for 5 minutes then get shot by someone across the map. Pavlov is just arcadey fun, so I'm glad too see it's numbers increasing.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

Archangel: Hellfire announced, June 28th release on Vive/Rift

Is this a new game, or an update to the old one? Can't watch the trailer at the moment.

I gotta say, I enjoy Pavlov a lot more than Onward. Maybe it's just me but I didn't enjoy onward at all, seems too... I don't know, hardcore for me. Half the time I would wander for 5 minutes then get shot by someone across the map. Pavlov is just arcadey fun, so I'm glad too see it's numbers increasing.
I feel the same. Onward is very good IMO, but it's a little too hardcore for me. Pavlov hits that jump in and have fun factor I'm usually more in the mood for when it comes to VR FPS PvP games.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yeah, so the game I was thinking about was A Township Tale and is available for free in a pre-alpha state. Seems to be going for a online server being a town that works together with people choosing different professions and then heading into a infinitely deep cave for resources. The cave is pitch black and requires torches or other light to see anything. On the surface it appears to be a Minecraft-like but everything needs to be done by hand in a way that makes sense. Campfires are made by placing tinder down on the ground, surrounding it with logs, and then making a spark with flint. Blacksmithing involved melting ore into ingots then melting the ingots in a mold. The smelted metal then needs to be shaped in the forge by heating it then striking it on an anvil with a smithing hammer. Wood doesn't magically pop out of trees - you have to chop it down, chop the whole length of it into logs, then split the logs.

Just messing with these systems as they are now and getting set up and prepared to go into the mines is fun enough as it is. They are planning on making everything player driven right down to the economy and quests.

I was already interested in the inventory video that I saw back in December:

and then this completely sold me: