• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
So is Asgard's Wrath and Stormland any good? Thinking about getting one or both to play using Oculus Link.

Though Asgard's File size is... crazy. So I think I'd have to play on my External and no idea how'd that would go.

Both are really good but Asgard's Wrath is definitely meatier and I think a better game. It's a full 30-40 hour RPG. Stormland's campaign is closer to 3-5 hours and then you have some repeatable content that changes from week to week. I haven't finished the campaign yet though but AW feels way more like a full AAA game in terms of content. Stormlands looks amazing though, AAA production values for sure.

I did eventually move it to an SSD because the load times were around 1 minute each time you went back and forth from the main tavern to wherever you were. It's not completely unplayable but an SSD reduced that time to like 5-10 seconds.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Both are really good but Asgard's Wrath is definitely meatier and I think a better game. It's a full 30-40 hour RPG. Stormland's campaign is closer to 3-5 hours and then you have some repeatable content that changes from week to week. I haven't finished the campaign yet though but AW feels way more like a full AAA game in terms of content. Stormlands looks amazing though, AAA production values for sure.

I did eventually move it to an SSD because the load times were around 1 minute each time you went back and forth from the main tavern to wherever you were. It's not completely unplayable but an SSD reduced that time to like 5-10 seconds.

How often do you leave the tavern and so on?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
How often do you leave the tavern and so on?

Mostly when you want to sell/store stuff and to do some crafting. Maybe every hour or so? Although there is also loading after you die but it's not quite as long and try not to die :P

Oculus has a pretty good return policy of 14 days and less than 2 hours played. 2 hours should give you enough time to decide if the loading it going to annoy you too much. I would have still been fine playing the game even if I didn't get an SSD.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Hey what do you guys think of this prebuilt spec-wise?

Intel i9-9900k at 3.6 gigahertz
16GB at 3000mhz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080
3TB HDD
960GB SDD
3 USB 3.1 ports
2 USB 3.0 ports
3 DisplayPort outputs
Liquid cooled

I know its expensive, but I can get it less from an employee discount with a friend. Just want to know what yo guys think of the build itself. Is it good for VR with the Valve Index with Half Life Alyx? Do you think it would have decent components? (motherboard, gpu, etc?)

Thanks

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

16GB at 3000mhz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080
3TB HDD
960GB SDD
3 USB 3.1 ports
2 USB 3.0 ports
3 DisplayPort outputs
Liquid cooled

I know its expensive, but I can get it less from an employee discount with a friend. Just want to know what yo guys think of the build itself. Is it good for VR with the Valve Index with Half Life Alyx? Do you think it would have decent components? (motherboard, gpu, etc?)

Thanks
I'm not looking at price, but it should be more than fine for VR and the Valve index.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017

16GB at 3000mhz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080
3TB HDD
960GB SDD
3 USB 3.1 ports
2 USB 3.0 ports
3 DisplayPort outputs
Liquid cooled

Thanks
Can you modify it?
I'd swap i9-9900K for 9700K or 9700KS. And I'd get a faster memory - 3200 -3600.
If you plan to upgrade GPU next year, it would make more sense to get 2070 Super instead of 2080 and then put the saved money towards upgrade next year.
Also I'm not a fan of liquid cooling (expensive, inconvenient, can be loud) but whatever floats your boat.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Which do you guys recommend since oculus link is out? Rift S with higher definition or Quest with just a single cable for convenience?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Which do you guys recommend since oculus link is out? Rift S with higher definition or Quest with just a single cable for convenience?
Do you have any plans to get games on the Quest to use stand alone?
If the answer to that is no just get the rift S since it's $50 cheaper and a bit better balanced weight wise (and a bit lighter in general)

The rift S just as the single cable as well, it just takes up two ports on your computer instead of 1 :P (and is a bit thicker unless I'm forgetting something from when i played with my friends)

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Do you have any plans to get games on the Quest to use stand alone?
If the answer to that is no just get the rift S since it's $50 cheaper and a bit better balanced weight wise (and a bit lighter in general)

The rift S just as the single cable as well, it just takes up two ports on your computer instead of 1 :P (and is a bit thicker unless I'm forgetting something from when i played with my friends)
Are there even exclusive games for Quest that warrants it over the S?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there are any exclusive games anymore, but there are plenty of games that perform well on the quest that you could get and easily take to family and friends.

Plus games like superhot benefit a lot from there being no cord at all.

Like I will be getting the link for my quest once I get a new computer. I already own beat saber on steam but unless I'm working on mapping a song (something I likely won't get around to doing any time soon) I doubt I will use my link with the steam version even if it offers more visual features as the wireless free version of beat saber runs well and I can't hit any wires that way (and custom songs aren't that bad to put on the quest)

The cord isn't a huge deal in general, though I have hit the cord a few times when playing beat saber on something with a cord. The main thing is bringing the quest to show off to friends and family is way easier than the rift as you don't need a gaming pc for the native games.

plus some things like

are only going to be possible on the quest at this time. But who knows when that project fully gets released.

It's mostly the quest offers more flexibility and with the link will offer a similar performance to the rift S. If you don't plan to play away from your computer it doesn't really matter.

technically the running in the 90s things might be doable on a normal vr headset but it will need a very long cord and a huge play area while with the quest you can just go outside in the right conditions lol.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
All the hype for HL Alyx got me playing with my Vive again. I played some Pavlov VR tonight, I really love that game.

I'd really be interested in getting an Era game night of Pavlov VR if anyone would be interested. I'm not particularly a fan of that game's surprisingly large Xbox Live-kid audience and have often ended up muting most other players.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Subscribed to this thread. Ordered the Odyssey Plus thingy lol. Looking forward to getting advice from ya'll! haha.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone find it surreal how much attention VR is getting right now? It's insane how many eyes are on our little niche right now. Just imagine what the VR discussion will be like once Alyx reviews hit

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Well after much deliberation, fuck everything, I'm going into the deep end.
Index bought.

Edit: I know the screen is 90Hz compatible, but how do you change it? I don't think my 1070 is going to play many titles at 120fps lol

Last edited:

w00zey

Nov 23, 2018
Is anyone having issues with the valve index playing Vader immortal 3 on revive? The dojo works fine, but Nothing displays when booting into story mode. For the record the past two episodes worked well enough.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So just joined the PCVR train (now waiting for the package to come). Any programs that you guys would recommend to have installed before hand?
I would like to try and watch movies to in VR, and see other small stuff in it.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Index, I have already tried Original Occulus at a friends several times.
I have a Rift so not sure about SteamVR specific apps.

As far as non games go, my favorite local video player is Skybox VR. It can play most files, has a simple interface, and multiple theatre environments. Of course, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and Sling all have native VR apps available. For anything else, you can try the free Bigscreen TV (which I find a bit clunky) or Virtual Desktop which is super polished, to mirror anything on your desktop. Definitely get Google Earth. It's amazing.

Since you have an Index, you should research Revive VR to play Oculus exclusives but I can't assist you with that since I've never needed to try it. It apparently works with most titles. However, I would wait to try this until after you've got your setup working smoothly for a while as it's a bit of a hack.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Can I use a DisplayPort splitter with the Index? Will both DP ports on the Splitter be on at the same time, or is it like an HDMI splitter where you have to choose only 1 port to be active at a time? Can I have my monitor and Index hooked up to the splitter and have both on at once?

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Can I use a DisplayPort splitter with the Index? Will both DP ports on the Splitter be on at the same time, or is it like an HDMI splitter where you have to choose only 1 port to be active at a time? Can I have my monitor and Index hooked up to the splitter and have both on at once?

I wouldn't expect that to work. The Index is basically pushing DP1.2 to the very limits of the tech so anything that limits bandwidth is likely to cause issues. Maybe if you limit it to 90Hz?

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
SteamVR obviously, and OpenVR Advanced settings (https://github.com/OpenVR-Advanced-Settings/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings) to get some better settings available through SteamVR.

Also if you want to play Oculus games, ReVive (https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive) and the Oculus home package.

That's what I can recall as far as programs go.

For watching movies in VR, I think BigScreen would do the trick https://store.steampowered.com/app/457550/Bigscreen_Beta/?snr=1_7_15__13

I have and odissey plus with steam vr and revive. What benefit I can get from open vr? What are those advanced settings for?

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I have and odissey plus with steam vr and revive. What benefit I can get from open vr? What are those advanced settings for?
OpenVR Advanced settings adds quite a few extra options to the SteamVR options menu while inside the headset. You can easily and quickly switch audio input/output, change playspace settings (chaperon walls), see information about how many frames have been dropped or reprojected, how many turns you've made with the HMD (good for knowing if you twist your cable a lot). And get access to supersampling settings too.
Basically a lot of things that you usually need to do while taking off the HMD you can do with the Advanced Settings program, it integrates right into SteamVR as well, so it's part of the SteamVR menus.

InVRScreenshot.png

Also, new Boneworks video is out, and they've announced price:

$30 for the game, $40 for "deluxe edition" which includes the soundtrack.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
OpenVR Advanced settings adds quite a few extra options to the SteamVR options menu while inside the headset. You can easily and quickly switch audio input/output, change playspace settings (chaperon walls), see information about how many frames have been dropped or reprojected, how many turns you've made with the HMD (good for knowing if you twist your cable a lot). And get access to supersampling settings too.
Basically a lot of things that you usually need to do while taking off the HMD you can do with the Advanced Settings program, it integrates right into SteamVR as well, so it's part of the SteamVR menus.

InVRScreenshot.png

Also, new Boneworks video is out, and they've announced price:

$30 for the game, $40 for "deluxe edition" which includes the soundtrack.

Holy hell that looks awesome! Boneworks already looked good, but that video totally sold me on it.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Boneworks is definitely a day 1 for me. Looks like so much fun and the physics are a huge step above anything previously released.

It's kind of amazing now that HL:A is public just how big the graphical divide is between Source 2 and every other VR engine.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where can I look for good BTO Black Friday deals? I don't have time (or experience) to assemble my own PC.. though I'd love to start. (Maybe this is the time)

My 980Ti is going to show its age with Boneworks I believe. I'd like to run it at high refresh.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Where can I look for good BTO Black Friday deals? I don't have time (or experience) to assemble my own PC.. though I'd love to start. (Maybe this is the time)
I'm not on the US, but just wanna encourage you to build it yourself! (although I think you're already gonna do it)
Like building legos.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not on the US, but just wanna encourage you to build it yourself! (although I think you're already gonna do it)
Like building legos.

Yes.. I just hate buying a pre-made unit that doesn't allow itself to be easily upgraded. So it feels like a better investment to get a good, roomy case and to build the parts separately. I just worry about troubleshooting if anything goes wrong.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I expected Boneworks to be at least $40, $30 feels like a steal for what its doing towards elevating physics interactions.

I've been enjoying it but kinda side eyeing Espire 1's $30 price tag. Feels a bit half baked even though the general mechanics are sound, the AI feels like it poses almost no threat even when there's a few of them firing at you at once. Plus the ability to heal your injuries with the repair wand tool makes it even easier. AI pathing in general is wonky and their inability to scale ladders makes things feel underdeveloped/rushed (and this had two delays). I realize this reads like I hate it lol but the actual exploration and weapon handling is fun so all is not lost, plus I can't complain too much about the price as buying it off the Oculus PC app gives you Killing Floor Incursion for free. It's also cross buy with Quest, which is what I've been playing it on as it isn't working over Revive yet. I haven't gotten beyond the second level so maybe things get more challenging with enemy encounters (hopefully).

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not really a game, but I was visiting a random movie room in BigScreen where Basic Instinct was playing - a steamy scene with Michael Douglas. A little kid suddenly joined and said 'I'm going to be scarred for life' as he frantically tried to bring up the controls to leave the room.. it was hilarious to see the reactions in the room.

Also, turns out a lot of 'pirated' movies are being hosted here? Alita Battle Angel was playing in 3D (with bad compression and some audio delay though).

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

Don't underestimate how awesome wireless VR can be. The Quest is going to be much more versatile. You can take it anywhere. Like if you want to lay in bed and watch a movie in a virtual theatre with a huge screen you can. If you have a good WiFi router you can even stream PCVR using Virtual Desktop. It has a bit more latency than Link but it's still very playable for most games.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Don't underestimate how awesome wireless VR can be. The Quest is going to be much more versatile. You can take it anywhere. Like if you want to lay in bed and watch a movie in a virtual theatre with a huge screen you can. If you have a good WiFi router you can even stream PCVR using Virtual Desktop. It has a bit more latency than Link but it's still very playable for most games.
That latency might be the deciding factor for me as I'm sensitive to headache that is caused by refresh rate/frame rate.

I might just get the S.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Boneworks in that trailer looks super impressive, I do wonder how limiting using non-index controllers will be though.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I got Blade & Sorcery but decided to refund it.

I think the idea is cool enough but I hadn't realized how little there was to the game considering I've seen it for a long time.

Currently I'm downloading Asgard Wrath to my External (due to space), I'll see how that goes. I might be able to withstand the long load times if everything else is so good.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I messed around with SkyrimVR a bit using the newest Virtual Desktop via Quest, it runs a lot smoother and looks better than before. I wasn't getting the smoothest performance before but now it runs pretty solidly, wonder if its the sliced encoding that's smoothing things out there. Just assumed it was my aging rig before :P

I wish Enderal was built on the back of Skyrim SE, shame we can't experience that in VR too, the world is so much more varied and dense than base Skyrim.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I played a bit of Asgard Wrath from my External.

The game is great though I can't tell if the little hitches here and there (signified by the hour glass) is from running on an External or because I only have 12GB of RAM and not 16.

Load times were long, yes, but everything is really fucking cool.

Edit: I will say though I couldn't help but chuckle a bit when the game said:

SAGA 2

GOD OF WAR.

(Obviously every mythology has their own God of War but it's just funny seeing that after playing GoW 2018)