Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Everytime I see this game, I think, "Wow, someone made a good billy hatcher."

Those tracks slap though. I'll play this.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The tracks sound really good so far. Tee Lopes' tracks also sound a bit different from the usual Sonic fare so that makes me excited, it felt like his style got a little predictable after his phenomenal work on SoR4.

Dunno if Penny's OST will be more of a who's who project in terms of musicians, but while I'm not expecting it, it'd be nice to see Funk Fiction on the soundtrack. Among the web of notable Sonic-adjacent fan musicians I always thought his deep house work was phenomenal in Sonic BTS/ATS, No Straight Roads, and Spark the Electric Jester.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I love the art style idk why. Music sounds rad. Looking forward to this.

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
The colours and low-poly aesthetic reminds me of Mega Man Legends. Also, the movement screams Super Mario Odyssey to me - lots of aerial options, similar to Cappy! Looks great to play.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I quite like the look of this game. The art style and color palette give me Treasure vibes.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Glad the game is going to get a great soundtrack to go along with it to further bolster its chances. The game genuinely looked fun from what I saw.

OP
OP
PeakPointMatrix
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like any of them :/

And yeah the art for this game….not a fan
Yeah if the Sonic CD JPN/Adventure/Mania realm of music isn't your thing, these tracks might be a miss for you.
The colours and low-poly aesthetic reminds me of Mega Man Legends. Also, the movement screams Super Mario Odyssey to me - lots of aerial options, similar to Cappy! Looks great to play.

I quite like the look of this game. The art style and color palette give me Treasure vibes.
Yes to all of this! The visuals and art direction are scratching at a very particular vibe of 90's low poly textures aesthetic in a very modern package. So bright and just pops, love it.

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
the music is so generic if you told me it was written by AI I would believe you

sliceoftoast

Jul 29, 2023
Every single track here is a 10/10 and it would convince me to get this game if I didn't already like the other aspects.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Not feeling a lot of these synth choices at all, unfortunately. Undermining some otherwise perfectly decent compositions.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds aight. Some of the synth samples are a little obnoxious. Still excited for the game.

OP
OP
PeakPointMatrix
Oct 25, 2017
All I have to say is if this is generic to you, please point me to more music you consider "generic" immediately please.

Game is probably gonna turbo bomb.
k

Look at that weird little face, it's perf
21719-l.jpg

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Been had this wishlisted since it was announced, wont listen to the music as I dont want to tease myself like that. Need this game like yesterday pls, fucking love the character design and world and everything

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The art style is very reminiscent of the kinda weird freaks you'd see in CGI-rendered stuff from Japan in the 90's.
I like most of the designs I'm seeing except for the main character...

Vash

Oct 28, 2017

What's with low-effort insult posts such as this lately? Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it's made by a generative algorithm. That's disgustingly insulting towards the composer(s) in this case. Like, if it's not for you, it's not for you. I am sure there are plenty of people who don't like the music you're a fan of. Assuming you like music.

Just, do better.

Edit: Sorry, about the game itself, I just added it to my wishlist after I forgot to do so with the initial announcement and kinda forgot about it. The music slaps btw.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if the Sonic CD JPN/Adventure/Mania realm of music isn't your thing, these tracks might be a miss for you.

Yes to all of this! The visuals and art direction are scratching at a very particular vibe of 90's low poly textures aesthetic in a very modern package. So bright and just pops, love it.

I love all those you mentioned especially mania 😍

OP
OP
PeakPointMatrix
Oct 25, 2017
What's with low-effort insult posts such as this lately?
fr

I know it's era but even still there feels like a jarring uptick in these unprovoked toxic drive-bys? Like how miserable are you when you feel compelled to randomly declaring colorful indie game a bomb or made by an algorithm. Is "made by an AI" 2023's version of the similarly lazy and vapid "looks like it was made in Dreams" critique?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Thats....huh.

Well, if its from the Sonic Mania guys I'm obligated to try it atleast once.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Soundtrack sounds nice but HOLY SHIT I had no idea this game existed in the first place! The gameplay looks fantastic too.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I feel like they are bailing the vibe with this, but I can't really put a name to the vibe. It makes me vaguely nostalgic for early 3D platformers but also pre-rendered CG art from the era
fr

I know it's era but even still there feels like a jarring uptick in these unprovoked toxic drive-bys? Like how miserable are you when you feel compelled to randomly declaring colorful indie game a bomb or made by an algorithm. Is "made by an AI" 2023's version of the similarly lazy and vapid "looks like it was made in Dreams" critique?
It's hot takes that belong on X.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Yo wasn't sure whether to post this here or bump the other thread from June.

Two weeks ago there was 50ish min of gameplay shown by the devs (on The Completionist's charity stream… awkward).

Looks great, and the team gives some neat insight

Here's some random YouTube re-up in case ya don't wanna give the charity's official channel any views:

View: https://youtu.be/EJy4wKomuG4?si=BE9Acu0T9t94xQJH

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Yo wasn't sure whether to post this here or bump the other thread from June.

Two weeks ago there was 50ish min of gameplay shown by the devs (on The Completionist's charity stream… awkward).

Looks great, and the team gives some neat insight

Here's some random YouTube re-up in case ya don't wanna give the charity's official channel any views:

View: https://youtu.be/EJy4wKomuG4?si=BE9Acu0T9t94xQJH

Thanks for posting! I've been so excited to see more from this game. Unsurprisingly, it looks incredibly fun to play!

HK_1

Oct 27, 2017
calling these tracks an incredible soundtrack is a bit of an overstatement. The game looks pretty fun though.

Evoker

Oct 25, 2017
Love post like these. /s

Like these composers put their heart into these tracks and it's not easy to compose a single track let alone many.

But yeah, keep on going on about how it's generic incompose by AI and all that garbage. If you think so, then make something better. But you know, it's easier to make low effort shit posts than to put in the hard work these composers do to create these tracks.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Not feeling a lot of these synth choices at all, unfortunately. Undermining some otherwise perfectly decent compositions.

It's exactly the opposite for me. The synths surely stand out, but in a good way. Without them they could sound more generic or like a rehash of the Mania soundtrack.

On the other hand, I dislike the collor pallete, although I think I kind of get what they are going for. It reminds me a bit of JSRF, which tried to escape from the pure primary and natural colors of the first game to have a kind of surreal feeling. Like turning the skies to turquoise or pink instead of blue.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
"early 2024" cannot come soon enough, these are absolutely my jam, especially Land-ho Diabolo, giving me some Kirby vibes for whatever reason! But they're all fantastic, and so different from one another

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
the tracks are suuuuuper vibey, they're a bit goofy sure but i think is part of the aesthetic, the 3rd one is TeeLopes greatness as it progresses.

They're maybe not as emblematic as Sonic songs, but what is really, they're still great af

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Im extremely dialed into what theyre going for with this game. Jigs Up Penny in particular is really good & captures that early 00s Treasure/Sega vibe

the irony of accusing something of being AI by using a worn out generic stock phrase

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate that Tee's tracks here sound so distinct from his work on Sonic Mania and Superstars. "Jig's Up, Penny" sounds like a great vibe-setting first level tune.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
There will be a new trailer in a few days at the PC Gaming Show. Maybe we will get a release date as it's supposed to release early 2024?