Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
YKSTfp5.png

XJEnYKZ.png

What is Pentiment?

~ Pentiment is a narrative-driven 2D murder mystery game set in 16th century West-European setting. Player choice, dialogue trees and deductive skills form the gameplay basis. Pentiment drips with attention to history and detail. It is a passion project by Josh Sawyer, writer at Obsidian entertainment and director for Fallout: New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity.

Who am I playing as?

~ You will take the role of Andreas Mahler. Andreas is an artisan painter who finds himself embroiled in a criminal intrigue. You can choose the background for Andreas, f.e. making a previous trip to Flanders instead of Italy, which will influence the dialogue choices.

What is the setting?

~ Pentiment is set in 16th century Bavaria which is the Southern part of Germany. 16th century Germany was a time of political and social upheaval. The authority of the Catholic church was tested by the protestant reformation. People who opposed the Catholic church were branded as heretics. Pentiment finds itself among some of these historical events.

What type of murder mystery game is this?

~ Similarly to L.A. Noire, you'll be rewarded for your deductive skills and attention to detail. You'll be offered a range of options for making a round of inquiries, including interviews and attending autopsies at the abbey.

When is Pentiment releasing?

~ Pentiment releases globally. You can not use the New Zealand trick to play early.

Nov 15, 2022 at 2:00 AM

FhDorOWXwAAxjCu

What is Pentiment releasing on?

~ Pentiment will release on Xbox One & Series consoles, the Xbox app and Steam. Pentiment is available on Xbox Game Pass. You can also play Pentiment via Cloud gaming with support for touch controls.

~ PC minimum requirements: 12 GB available space + Intel core i3-3225 + 4GB RAM + Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

What is the achievement list?

~ Pentiment releases with 41 achievements. Due to the game's tree structure, multiple playthroughs will be necessary to collect all the achievements. You can find the list here.

Gg60awM.png

View: https://youtu.be/vXq20gant-4

View: https://youtu.be/me5zkmtLs3o

View: https://youtu.be/AjIfxeNhrj4

View: https://youtu.be/nOMBJrE-Mmk

324l8Ph.png

Fhj-EM9VIAA-G5f

Credit to Twitter user @benkenobi2020

www.resetera.com

Pentiment - Review thread

Some seem to posted it abit to early https://opencritic.com/game/13960/pentiment https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-series-x/pentiment 5/5 https://www.vg247.com/pentiment-review Recommended...

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I CAN'T WAIT. I played the game at Paris Games Week a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was fascinating. Very excited to dive into it at home!

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Oh man, literally everything I've read of this sounds like a dream project, I'm super excited, I'd like to hear impressions on people playing it with controllers though to choose if this'll be a big TV game or a PC game for me

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, literally everything I've read of this sounds like a dream project, I'm super excited, I'd like to hear impressions on people playing it with controllers though to choose if this'll be a big TV game or a PC game for me

I played the demo with a controller (was all that was available) and it seems like a fine controller game to me? Everything i remember was on a flat, left to right plane (other than maybe the odd branching path to the north or south) and it felt made for a controller. I wouldn't be surprised if you control the character with WASD on PC?

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Do we have any indication of how long this is? Its not my sort of thing, but I'm interested in trying it out, but I think I'll struggle if its more than like 20 hours.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Do we have any indication of how long this is? Its not my sort of thing, but I'm interested in trying it out, but I think I'll struggle if its more than like 20 hours.
20 hours according to Sawyer.

OP, you may want to add that and mention there are 41 achievements in the game and they are not all unlockable in a single playthrough.

OP
OP
Dyashen

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
20 hours according to Sawyer.

OP, you may want to add that and mention there are 41 achievements in the game and they are not all unlockable in a single playthrough.

Also the game will be available on Cloud with touch controls
Great OT. Might want to add the spec requirements for PC...

View: https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/1591872300827017216

Or you can just summarise as 'did you buy a PC in the last 15 years? If so, it'll run.'

Thank you for the heads-up! Added!

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The official German name of Murder, She Wrote was "Immer wenn sie Krimis schrieb" and later "Mord ist ihr Hobby" by the way :P

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Curious to see reviews for this, as I'm still not sure what to make of the game. It sounds like something that should interest me, but Obsidian's recent track record has been a bit bumpy and I'm a bit wary of the complete lack of voice acting.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what to expect from this, since it looks so different, but I'm still looking forward to playing it and Sawyer usually delivers.

Also a big fan of Microsoft investing in smaller games like this, Grounded and similar. They have such an awesome and diverse first party now.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Are versions for X1 and SX anything different?
I believe he tweeted xbox one is 1080/30 and 4k/30 and xss is 1080/60 and xsx is 4k/60. I dont think itll matter terribly much because the game is sort of animated in a specific way. There are 3D menus and such but thats not where a majority of your time will be.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
It's here!

Very excited to try this out

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
In on xCloud!

Nice :)
Do you know if it's the traditional buttons overlay, or if it's really designed for touch?
What they said on stream yesterday was it would be a basic overlay, but they may revisit it for more enhanced touch functionality or custom stuff.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
What they said on stream yesterday was it would be a basic overlay, but they may revisit it for more enhanced touch functionality or custom stuff.

Too bad, the overlay creates too much visual noise and clutter.

I didn't play it (yet) but As Dusk Falls seems to have been perfectly made for touch controls. I would have thought similar Xbox-published titles might follow up on that (on release, I mean).

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Too bad, the overlay creates too much visual noise and clutter.

I didn't play it (yet) but As Dusk Falls seems to have been perfectly made for touch controls. I would have thought similar Xbox-published titles might follow up on that (on release, I mean).
I agree. I think they said you can move with a mouse click so on a steam deck or surface you can touch to move and all that, but that doesn't apply to xcloud. I think native touch would work very well here with overlay for the minigame things

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
Absolutely can't wait, but with this and Sommerville coming out and everything else happening this month, I truly need another lifetime to play all these games.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Josh also suggests playing in English as that is the language he wrote it in but he has played in German, French, and some Spanish and thinks the localization is pretty good. If you find any errors or suggestions he seemed welcoming of providing feedback. Especially for languages like Polish/Czech if i recall

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Josh also suggests playing in English as that is the language he wrote it in but he has played in German, French, and some Spanish and thinks the localization is pretty good. If you find any errors or suggestions he seemed welcoming of providing feedback. Especially for languages like Polish/Czech if i recall
Heh, in the prelease material I already found some errors for German words. Curious if they fixed that.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Such a cool setting. Hopefully it's a success so we get games with more diverse historical settings.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Interested in the reviews for this, love the premise and we haven't had a truly solid murder mystery game in ages

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Man I hope this delivers.

Everything about it screams, My Jam.

Love the setting, look & premise.