• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
When Dota 2's premier tournament, The International, started on Monday night, the English-language broadcast featured an analyst desk full of experts. Among them was Croatian analyst Dominik "Lacoste" Stipic, who was wearing a Pepe the Frog pin. Considering that The International 2019 is being hosted in Shanghai, that pin is more important than you might think.

Pepe the Frog has a very complicated history. In America, and much of the English-language internet, he's gone from a harmless meme to a hate symbol and back — depending on whom you ask. In Hong Kong, his recent history has been just as complicated, albeit in a different direction. Over the last several months, Hong Kong protesters have adopted the meme as a symbol of resistance.

Many of the most active participants in the Hong Kong protests have been young people. As with young people in any other part of the world, they have an incredible fluency in memes.

They have adopted the frog as a symbol of protest. They're spray-painting Pepe's face on walls, and giving it new contexts in the messaging apps where the meme has always been popular. (It's worth mentioning here that Pepe has never had the same racist or anti-Semitic associations in Hong Kong that it has had in the West.) The protesters are also creating their own versions of Pepe, complete with the yellow hard hats that have also become symbols of their resistance movement.

Was Stipic wearing a Pepe pin in support of the Hong Kong protests?

Stipic hasn't commented on his Pepe the Frog pin. On the one hand, it's one of the most popular memes on Twitch and elsewhere online. On the other, he wore one of the most recognizable symbols of the Hong Kong protests live during an esports tournament in Shanghai. For what it's worth, Lacoste only had the pin on for one segment. When the stream came back to the desk, the Pepe pin was gone, replaced with a different one.

Will China crack down on Pepe and other memes?

China has a history of trying to stamp out memes that criticize its government.

The gaming space saw this firsthand earlier this year when a Pooh meme was discovered within the indie horror game Devotion, developed by the Taiwan-based studio Red Candle Games. The mocking meme, which unfavorably compares Chinese president Xi Jinping to Winnie the Pooh, is taken very seriously in China. Red Candle pulled the game from Steam after Chinese players review-bombed it; the country later revoked the business license of the game's publisher, Indievent.

And as several people have mentioned on the Hong Kong subreddit, Pepe isn't the only Dota 2-related meme popping up on The International broadcast. On the official English Twitch channel, many viewers have been spamming the phrase "free Hong Kong" in chat as well. According to the subreddit, this phrase seems to be fine, but viewers are reportedly being banned for using phrases such as Winnie the Pooh and Tiananmen Square.
Full article: https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/23/2...-protests-china-dota-2-the-international-2019

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Pepe will always just be a good guy who pees standing up with his pants down to me

Have no idea how the baddies made him a hate icon in the west

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Pepe Strikes Back

I'm so glad his owner/creator tried to put a stop to the madness

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
Pepe is poisoned to me honestly. Never want to see that damn frog again.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that a simple, somewhat funny doodle has permeated world culture, alternating as a symbol of hope, hate and memeness. It must be incredibly weird for the creator to follow that development.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that a simple, somewhat funny doodle has permeated world culture, alternating as a symbol of hope, hate and memeness. It must be incredibly strange for the creator to follow that development.

Pepe is poisoned to me honestly. Never want to see that damn frog again.

Also, yeah, I kind of agree.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I say we take back Pepe from the garbage people. Pepe was not intended to be an icon of hate. If anything, he was originally the best kind of internet humor: random and silly, but benign, and at no one's expense. It really irks me that the alt right took such a lovable character and twisted him into something sinister.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
EB5re4GX4AAD2UC.jpg

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I say we take back Pepe from the garbage people. Pepe was not intended to be an icon of hate. If anything, he was originally the best kind of internet humor: random and silly, but benign, and at no one's expense. It really irks me that the alt right took such a lovable character and twisted him into something sinister.

Really hard when a lot of people are willing to give up something as innocuous as the OK hand sign to the alt-right at a moments notice. Surprised you're still allowed to drink whole milk to be honest. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 25, 2017
He seems to be all over discord, couldn't avoid him if I wanted to. I guess that could be good as it'll stop being primarily associated with the alt-right.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Yeah you americans need to realize Pepe isn't associated with the nazi shit pretty much anywhere else in the world.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nowadays when I see Pepe all I can think of is monkaS instead of alt-right

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Pepe👏is👏Wholesome👏

(the ones that aren't literal incredibly obvious Nazis that is)

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
this just goes to shows how iconography and their context can differs alot between different regions.

For example, the west probably see associates the Swatiska with Nazists and Fascists but in Asia here, The Swatiska (mirrored and tilted 45deg) is associated with buddhism first and foremost.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's widely used on twitch as an emote via extensions, even on channels with zero connections/pandering to alt-right, like on trihex.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
If Pepe were real he wouldn't hate anyone.

Pepe is a friend to all. Pepe is precious.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Please post pictures with context: when it was taken, by whom and what happened in the scene, for example. Without context (like those Twitter accounts that post historical photographs every day), pictures can be misleading and we can't draw accurate conclusions.
Sorry about that, I'm at work so i couldn't do a writeup but i find it endearing that the meme is used in the literal sense of "sad Pepe" instead of the gamer dank meme that eventually evolved further to be a racist symbol.

Fuck gamergate for ruining simple memes in order to push their agenda.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Love pepe the frog, shits given me plenty of laughs and smiles. Glad to see him being used for the right reasons!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Pepe should be seen as a beacon of positivity, a reminder to us in these dark times to slow down and appreciate the simpler things in life, like the joys of peeing standing up with your pants down, sprinkling all over the toilet bowl while a mild draft wafts gently across your gleaming green buttocks

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Pepe should be seen as a beacon of positivity, a reminder to us in these dark times to slow down and appreciate the simpler things in life, like the joys of peeing standing up with your pants down, sprinkling all over the toilet bowl while a mild draft wafts gently across your gleaming green buttocks
484312528919461898.png

Brokenrobot

Jul 12, 2018
We managed to take skull iconography back from the scumfucks its only a matter of time until we reclaim the frog.

Oct 25, 2017
The alt-right Pepe memes usually feature the smug one. None of the others really have any right-wing ties. You shouldn't consider Pepe a hate icon.

Because the creator of Pepe likes to DMCA offensive Pepe content, most alt-right adjacent folk have switched to using a similar character called "Groyper" instead. It's pretty much another smug Pepe, but fat.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
_
The alt-right Pepe memes usually feature the smug one. None of the others really have any right-wing ties. You shouldn't consider Pepe a hate icon.

Because the creator of Pepe likes to DMCA offensive Pepe content, most alt-right adjacent folk have switched to using a similar character called "Groyper" instead. It's pretty much another smug Pepe, but fat.
Man, I feel for Pepe's creator, it's his baby he created to make people smile, and the meanies are trying to corrupt him