• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 4, 2018

Two years ago, we announced the formation of a new Xbox Game studio in Santa Monica, The Initiative, and today at The Game Awards, we announced our first project,
Perfect Dark.

With Perfect Dark, we're aiming to deliver a secret agent thriller set in a near-future world.

We have built the Perfect Dark team at The Initiative by bringing in some of the most talented game makers from around the industry who all share a passion for storytelling, world-building and creating memorable game experiences. With the full backing from Xbox Studios to re-imagine one of the best loved IPs from gaming history, we couldn't be more excited to share some of our early ideas.

I encourage you to watch the above studio introduction to hear more about the team, our goals, and how we're working hard to deliver on the promise of the next generation of game making.

We look forward to sharing more about Perfect Dark in the future.

Concept arts:
Eo621efXEAAjn1c

Eo621efXMAAHg_S

k9y4.png

Some key points from the interview (I recommand watching):

- espionnage, reconnaissance, tricking people, getting into places unseen
- gadgets
- wild guns
- female lead character, female secret agent in a world of corporate crime
- eco Sci-Fi, ecological disaster on a global scale, corporations came in
- "blockbuster secret agent vision"
- "what's a secret agent ?"
- "it's also something we have to treat very carefully" (the IP)
- "you have to avoid doing too much devotion to the past, but not enough. You have to find the right spot in the middle"
- "I'm passionate about making sure we deliver stories, and premises that stand along side our peers, in TV and movies"
- "one of the things we thought about was how to differentiate what we call "spy fighting" versus what you would see in a traditional first-person shooter
- "excitment of moving in places you and I don't", "sliding under things", "jumping over things", "play up the physicality and being in the world", "camera movements", "GoPros"...
- "we've been sharpening our vision of what our game is and figuring out what's going to make it unique, what's really make it to stand out and what's really going to make it fun"

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
for a trailer that was meant to be a "tone setter" it isnt doing much for me

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They way they discussed that is very similar to the plot of what I heard Black Tusk was working on before they turned into the Coalition.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I wish we had gotten at least just some in engine footage. So fucking excited.

Now the question - FPS or third person?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
FUCK YESS JOANNA

Had the biggest smile at the dataDyne logo reveal.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
So putting the info we heard recently together- I'm guessing this will be a little smaller scale, and a bit experimental compared to what one expects from PD? This could be a cool concept for a studio if they take old IPs and truly completely reimagine them as new genres.